Depending on the size of the household, owners can vary their poultry breeding goals in different ways. Someone starts a chicken coop only for personal purposes in order to provide fresh eggs for the family, while others have more extensive plans and also apply to meat breeds. Larger farms are planning to sell eggs, chicken carcasses and chickens. In the light of the economic feasibility of a hen hen may be declared an anachronism, but is it really so? It is worth figuring out how many chickens hatch eggs, how many days and how many times a year.
How many eggs do chickens hatch?
Often, inexperienced farmers are concerned about how to calculate when the hen has sat down on the clutch, which day to consider first. This is actually quite a blurred border, because the hen begins to squash and sit on the nest even before it has a sufficient number of eggs, according to the owner. This is partly due to the method of artificial formation of masonry.
If the hen begins to khloht and demonstrate readiness for incubation of eggs, the owner selects fertilized eggs, from ten to fifteen pieces, depending on the size of the hen, puts it in the nest and sits on them future mother. It is much easier to calculate how many days the chicken incubates the eggs, because they are demolished at about the same time with a difference of a day or two. After that, 21 days are counted, after this period, you can get ready brood of young stock.
Reproduction of chicken stock
The average chicken brood is twelve chickens, maybe a little more or a little less. If we consider that the egg production in a chicken is usually transient, a three-year-old chicken already significantly reduces this figure. A constant turnover of livestock allows you to keep a uniform amount of egg production. Culling layers and extra cockerels allows you to provide a family with a moderate amount of poultry meat.
The reproduction period is formed as follows. It is necessary to calculate how many hens hatch eggs to the chicken, and how long it will take the chick to develop into a full-fledged member of the chicken community. It turns out the following mathematics: three weeks of hatching, and young hens of egg breeds begin to age at the age of 4.5 months. Thus, over the summer period, you can completely update the livestock of the chicken coop, to form a flock of pullets, the peak of which will fall only next year.
Chicken hen or incubator?
Under the usual chicken more than fifteen eggs do not put, but in the incubator you can shove a few hundred, depending on the size. What to choose? If you plan to sell chickens, the incubator remains the undisputed leader. But to accelerate the development of chicks will not work - the incubator is not a pressure cooker, how long the chicken incubates the eggs, so much the incubator will warm the embryos loaded into it.
There are also disadvantages to the incubator, a long-term power outage definitely sends all the eggs to the scrap. But this device can work continuously all year round, the hen is not capable of it.
The time spent on the organization of the natural reproduction of livestock
Does this require a lot of time and effort from the owner of the farmstead? Calculate how much time a hen incubates eggs, compare with his own plans for livestock renewal, carry out preliminary culling of an aging bird - all this is done between deeds. From the owner you only need to know every good chick “face” in order not to accidentally send it to the soup instead of another bird.
Knowing the time, how many weeks the chicken incubates the eggs, it is possible to determine in advance whether all the eggs under the hen will become chickens. For this, it is enough to check the eggs on the ovoscope after about ten days or look at the lumen. This will remove chatterboxes or empty eggs, but putting others in the middle of hatching is not recommended.
A hen helps the natural reproduction of livestock, the owner requires a minimum of effort with maximum attention, nothing more.
Signs of hen chicken
The bird sits in the nest for a long time, rarely goes outside, when it tries to chase it away, it resists, there is feather and fluff in the nest, the bird clucks. After finding a suitable chicken, you need to check it. For two or three days the bird is planted in a nest where fake bed eggs lie. They can be made from pebble and other materials. If the hen hen has a good nursing instinct, then during this time she will sit quietly in the nest and not go anywhere. And vice versa, if the bird has gone out of the nest in time, has ceased to cry out, then most likely it is not suitable for hatching. After finding a chicken with a good instinct, you can place an incubation egg under it.
How to wean a chicken from hatching eggs
Many poultry farmers are faced with the fact that they need the opposite to wean the chicken from hatching eggs. Use the following method. A bird that is clucked must be dipped in cold water after it is placed in a dark room, released twice a day, so that it receives feed and water. The procedure is not humane, but it is very effective. It is noted that after the bird the instinct of egg incubation disappears.
How many eggs are placed under the hen
The number of eggs that must be placed under the chicken depends on the size of the bird or pedigree qualities. It is necessary to calculate the eggs so that they are placed in one layer under the hen and in the nest at the same time. On average, 13-15 chicken eggs are placed under one large chicken. Some species of birds: geese, turkeys, ducks are good chicks. If the hen is already accustomed to the fake eggs, it is placed under incubation. It happens during the period when the bird leaves the nest to eat and drink water. At this point, once, in the nest put the required number of eggs. It is important to note that when a bird incubates eggs under it, it is not possible to additionally lay more eggs, since the hatching of eggs will not be a lump sum and the chicken will stop incubating those eggs after the chicks hatch.
How many hens hatch eggs
Hatching eggs lasts 21 days, as in an incubator. At this time, carry out ovoskopirovaniya, to control development. The schedule for viewing eggs on the ovoskop is 7, 11 and 18 days from the beginning of hatching eggs. On day 7 of the embryo is not visible, there are blood vessels. On day 11, the embryo shadow is visible on about a fourth of the egg. On day 18, the embryo can be seen as a dark spot, movements can be observed. Between the 19th and the 21st day there is a spitting. With the appearance of the first hen chickens, the hen can throw eggs, so this moment needs to be controlled.
After hatching, day-old chicks remain under the chicken for drying. Then they are taken to a separate place and transferred to a room prepared for them, with a temperature of 28 o C. When all the chickens hatched, they can be released to the chicken. Under the hen, it is often placed under hatched chicks, as well as chicks raised from other species of birds and in the incubator. Chickens are lined during feeding in the evening. On average, under 1 chicken enclose 25 chickens. Chicken hen and chickens need care.
Using a hen to reproduce a herd is a good way to save on incubation equipment. Control over the incubation process and further rearing of chickens will be on the hen hen. No super-incubation machine will make the incubation process better than nature has already invented.
Chicken egg control
Chicken in the egg develops in stages. Any disturbances in the external environment in the form of an increase or decrease in humidity, temperature changes and lighting adversely affect development.
The development takes place in three stages:
- At the first stage of embryo development (12-16 hours) The egg easily tolerates overheating and cooling air.
- In the second stage (from the 1st to the 14th day) The embryo needs an optimal temperature. Overheating leads to deformity, and cooling leads to weakness and general deviations in development. From the 6th to the 11th day of the chick's life, its floor, respiratory organs form in the egg, and a gradual separation from the shell takes place. The weight of the embryo is about 3.5 grams. At this time, the temperature and humidity decrease. From the 12th to the 14th day, the chick is covered with down inside the egg. The level of heat and moisture should be average.
- In the third stage (from the 15th to the 23rd day) the future chick first forms the head, body, wings, legs, eyes with eyelids and tail, then claws appear, a strong bone system is formed. On the 21-23rd day, the chicken pecks at the shell and is born.
Recommendations to the poultry farmer
Rearing chickens - invaluable help for the poultry farmer. A hen allows you to save time, labor and efforts of the owner. But the process needs to be controlled, competent approach and knowledge of the nuances.
Nuances of breeding:
- If there are several hens in the house and the owner sits them on the eggs, then the nests should be located at a distance of 1 m.
- When the first chicks hatch, they should be picked up carefully, replacing the plaster casts. If the chicken notices the change, it will rise from the nest and no longer sit in it. Professional breeders do not recommend batches to send eggs to the chickens to hatch more chicks. This technique can destroy the desire of the hen to care for offspring.
- If the hen is frightened and escapes from the nest, it must be returned back and covered with a basket for several days.
- For broods, it is better to take individuals of the Kokhinhin, Kuchinskaya jubilee specimens, brama or velzumer. They are caring mothers, perfectly care for offspring. Folk methods of sitting them do not need to be planted on eggs. They independently perform all duties.
Attention! The period of sitting in the nest is painful for the chicken, depletes the body. Do not force it to sit several times in the nest.
Use of chickens for breeding chicks - A convenient and easy way to get offspring. She will independently regulate the temperature, moisture and turn the eggs.Proper grooming of the hen during incubation contributes to the safe breeding of chickens
Tip! If there are no caring mothers in the brood, then you should try to force the chicken into the nest forcibly.
How can you help the chicken incubate eggs
After the hen hatched the first chickens, some farmers immediately give it the next lay. But in fact, it is much better if the chicken rests, because incubation is a difficult process for it.
It takes a lot of strength and health to incubate even one clutch of a bird, so it’s good if the farmer, on his part, creates optimal conditions for hatching chicks.
- The nest in which the hen incubates should be located in a dark, quiet corner of the hen house so that other birds do not interfere with it, do not distract and do not create excessive stress. If at the very beginning of brooding the chicken will be disturbed, it can completely leave the nest.
- If you have several chicks, you can fence off a common angle with a net, but each bird should have its own nest, located at some distance from the neighboring ones. Otherwise, the birds may start to fight because of the eggs.
- From 4-5 to 16-21 days, the chicken may refuse to leave the nest, therefore, it is necessary to take a closer look at it so that it feeds on time, go out to drink and warm up a little, but not longer than 15 minutes at a time. You can put a feeder and drinker with clean fresh water right at the nest.
It is very important from time to time to inspect the chicken for parasites.
Sitting on the clutch, many hens pluck out their feathers to cover their nest.
Because of this, some farmers do not pay attention to the first signs of defeat feathers (fallen out, thinned feather), thinking that the bird plucked itself. If in doubt, the chicken should be either alone or with the help of a veterinarian to treat the parasites.