Vysotorez petrol - a convenient device that is used to remove the branches of trees, giving crowns and shrubs a certain shape. The operation of the mechanized tool makes it possible to work from the ground without the need to climb the high branches of green plantings on the stairs. Let's find out what characteristics it is worth being guided by when choosing a high-altitude petrol, consider the popular brands of such units.
In fact, such a garden tool is nothing more than a motorized saw mounted on a telescopic handle. The effectiveness of each individual unit is determined by the parameters of the headset, which is used to prune trees, as well as the power of the motor. The cutting part of the high-cutter is identical to a gasoline or electric chain saw. It consists of a fixed tire and a moving metal chain with pointed elements.
Engine and fuel
The main mass of gasoline-type high-cutters are completed with two-stroke single-cylinder engines. However, there are also combined engines.
To ensure the operation of the engines, a special fuel mixture is used here. For its preparation, the oil intended for 2-stroke engines and AI-92 gasoline are combined. The use of a higher fuel fraction leads to overheating of the units and their inadequate functioning. The proportions in which the components are mixed are specified by the manufacturers of individual models of high-cutters in the technical operation manual.
It is noteworthy that manufacturers of devices for the care of garden plantings rarely engage in self-development of engines. Most manufacturers of high-cutters order them from other companies.
High performance gasoline engines that are installed on high-cutters, allows you to complete the device in this category with a wide range of cutting tools. Here may apply:
- trim cords - comfortable when cutting leaves, branches of negligible thickness,
- circular knives - suitable for rough handling of trees and shrubs,
- disc cutters - open up the possibility for cutting off branches of medium thickness, harvesting small trees,
- Chainsaws - used for cutting large, coarse branches.
Bars of high-cutters have a sliding design. The telescopic system can be collapsible and have a diameter of from 25 to 35 millimeters. Inside the rod contains a metal shaft, which transmits rotational motion from the engine to the cutting part. The latter can be represented in the form of a rod or cable.
Gasoline high-cutters are equipped with different types of handles, depending on the characteristics of the operation of the unit. Lightweight devices that are used to accomplish tasks that require increased tool maneuverability are equipped with D-shaped handles. In this case, the control panel of the high-cutter functions is located on a separate handle attached to the rod.
When mowing weeds, cutting low bushes are used J-shaped handle. The latter allow you to securely hold the tool with both hands in case of a weighty cutting part to the ground.
Choosing a high-cut gasoline, it is recommended to give priority to products of the following brands:
- Champion - devices from the specified manufacturer differ in convenience of operation. Equipped with telescopic holders that can move apart to a height of more than four meters. Thus, during the pruning of trees, gardeners do not have to use a ladder or stepladder. Especially popular among consumers is the Champion PP126 gasoline cutter, which is distinguished by its affordable price and high power. With it, you can cut thick boughs with a diameter of 20 centimeters.
- High-cut Husqvarna - devices of this brand have a lightweight design and therefore are extremely maneuverable when working. Such units are equipped with powerful saws that consume the minimum amount of fuel. The assembly of high-cutters with an inertial wheel makes it possible to significantly reduce vibrations when starting the engine. As a result, pruning trees turns out to be of better quality. The use of soft, thoughtful handles helps reduce the load on the hands.
- Vysotorez petrol "Calm" - this category of devices for the care of the garden are extremely comfortable and safe fixtures. The main advantage of the units of this brand is the possibility of cutting straight from the ground branches, located at a height of more than 5 m. At these heights are installed engines that are a combination of four-stroke and two-stroke mechanisms. This innovation contributes to a longer service life of the units, and also provides a low level of noise and vibrations during the work.
Advantages and disadvantages
Choosing a gasoline cutter provides the following benefits:
- In contrast to mechanical, battery and electric devices, the high-cut petrol has impressive power. An indicator is provided by completing such devices with productive internal combustion engines.
- The gasoline high-telescopic telescopic, despite the presence of a productive engine, reproduces a relatively low level of noise.
- Units in this category have excellent balancing. Therefore, it is convenient to hold them above your head, even on your outstretched hand.
- Vysotorez petrol differs economical fuel consumption. As practice shows, one liter of fuel here is enough to repeatedly cultivate green spaces around the backyard.
As for the obvious minuses of the units of the presented category, here we can note the rather high cost of models from reputable manufacturers. Among other things, gasoline high-cutters need regular maintenance.
Tips for choosing
When choosing a gasoline cutter, you should focus on these points:
- The scope of upcoming work. Assessing the scale of future events, you can choose a device whose performance will be sufficient for the implementation of the tasks. This will avoid overpaying for more powerful models.
- Dimensions. It is recommended to choose the most lightweight, compact, but at the same time productive unit. Low weight and ergonomic design will allow for a long time to hold the device on outstretched hands, not feeling tired.
- Rod length The longer the telescopic part of the instrument, the more convenient it is to reach the branches located at a considerable height.
- Complete set of the oil pump. The implementation in the design of the specified element provides lubrication of the cutting part of the saw during the execution of works.
- The quality of cutting canvases. The means used in the construction should give an even cut. This will avoid injury to individual parts of trees and shrubs.
As can be seen, the gasoline high-cutter is a practical, powerful device for the care of greenery on home gardens. Every year the demand for the instrument of this assignment only grows. Since the possibility of pruning trees from the ground without the need to use stairs and stepladders looks extremely attractive to avid gardeners.
Share with your friends
For high-quality pruning is important not to save on the tool. Meanwhile, many gardeners are still in the arsenal of only one simple shears - for all occasions. And the mass of problems associated with it: it crushes thin branches, does not cut thick, and if you need to thin the crown at the very top of the tree, you have to work with stepladders. To avoid
these difficulties, you need to have several models of cutting tools for specific tasks.
They are used for trimming branches with a diameter of up to 2 cm. They can also cut thick wood, but fresh and non-woody.
By type of blade pruners are divided into two types:
1. Planar. The principle of operation resembles the work of scissors. The branch is cut by both blades, and the cut is very smooth: the wood does not wrinkle, the bark does not lift, the wound will heal very quickly.
Purpose: for trimming thin branches.
2. Contact. In these pruners, the principle of operation is similar to how you cut something with a knife on a cutting board: the lower blade is the “board” on which the branch of the tree rests, the upper one is the sharp “knife”. It is thinner than that of planar pruners, and passes through wood with high pressure.
Purpose: for trimming hard, dry branches.
The pruner should be light, conveniently placed in the hand, so that when working you make as little effort as possible. Check whether you can open and close the secateurs with one hand so that your fingers do not slide off the handles.
For cutting thick branches, choose secateurs, the blades of which are made of durable steel - stainless and carbon. They keep sharpening well, and therefore cut easily and cleanly, without hurting the plants.
Designed to remove branches thicker than 2 cm. The maximum thickness of a bitch that can be cut with such a tool is 5 cm. Unlike the secateurs, they have elongated handles that work according to the lever principle - they allow you to cut thick branches with minimal effort.
With the help of long handles you can reach the high branches and deep thickets of bushes, which is difficult to reach with a shears.
When choosing a lopper, first of all pay attention to the strength of its handles. Plastic and cheap aluminum break instantly. The cutting part must also be made of durable metal.
They differ from loppers by very long, often telescopic handles. The force on the cutting part is transmitted using ropes, wires, cables, or other more complex devices.
The tool is ideal for kronirovaniyu and sanitary pruning of tall trees and hedges. It significantly facilitates the work of the summer resident - no step ladder should be worn in the garden And besides, it is not so easy for older people to climb the stairs, and with a high-cut, work will be much easier.
Secateurs B / S-XL
Maximum branch thickness: 24 mm
Blades: sticking stainless steel
Handles: plastic reinforced with glass fiber reinforced with soft inserts for easy grip
Drive unit: the spring inside the body, making it impossible to accidentally lose
Additional options: two positions of capture of a secateur - for powerful cutting and fast cutting
Secateur PowerGear X PX 92
Maximum branch thickness: 20 mm
Blades: hardened stainless steel with anti-friction coating
Handles: FiberCompTM composite fiberglass with shock absorbing coating
Drive unit: Power gear PowerGear
Additional options: the trajectory of the rotating knob allows you to work with all your fingers at the same time
High-cut telescopic StarCut 410 plus
Maximum branch thickness: 32 mm
Maximum height: 4.1 m
Blades: precision sharpened blades and sticking finish
Handle: telescopic, plastic
Drive: Built-in steel cord with 12-speed transmission
Additional options: it is supplied with a hook which can be regulated, - it helps to throw off cut branches to the ground easily
High-cutter universal PowerGear UPX82 1023625
Maximum branch thickness: 32 mm
Maximum height: 3.5 m
Blades: sticking steel
Lever: telescopic rubber plastic SoftTouch
Drive unit: power
Additional options: the cutting part can be rotated 230 °, non-slip surface of the lower handle for easy storage, protection of the inner cord
High-cut telescopic universal PowerGear UPX86 1023624
Maximum branch thickness: 32 mm
Maximum height: 4.0 m
Blades: sticking steel
Lever: telescopic rubber plastic SoftTouch
Drive unit: power
Additional options: cutting part can be rotated 230 °, non-slip surface of the bottom handle for easy storage
High Cut Power Dual Cut RR 200
Maximum branch thickness: 32 mm
Maximum height: 3.5 m
Blades: sticking steel
Lever: telescopic aluminum with polymer inserts
Drive unit: cable inside the handle
Additional options: has two modes of operation - fast (for thin branches) and powerful (for branches up to 32 mm), the cutting part can be rotated by 225 °
High Cut Power Dual Cut RR 400 T
Maximum branch thickness: 32 mm
Maximum height: 5.5 m
Blades: sticking steel
Lever: telescopic aluminum with polymer inserts
Drive unit: cable inside the handle
Additional options: two modes of operation, the cutting part can be rotated by 225 °
In fact, high-cut - the same garden shears, only with a longer handle and the possibility of using a drive mechanism. This is the largest version of the garden cutting tools, although some species can not be called too cumbersome.
Conventionally, high-cutters are divided into two main types: sucker-rod and ordinary high-altitude. The main difference between them is the length of the handle, which in the latter case allows cutting off the highest branches without significant efforts.
In addition, an extended handle helps reduce the load on the tool itself, which means you can easily cope with the work.
It is possible to divide high-cutters into types depending on the location of the blades: with parallel ones installed (bypass) and resistant surfaces (anvil). In the first case we are talking about a tool with two blades, one of which has the form of a hook and holds the branch during cutting.
Its ends can be very different: curved, straight, or curved and straight. In anvil delimbers, one blade is well sharpened, and the second is a regular support, but does not cut.
These two types are combined with the presence of an adjustment screw, and in the latest models there is also another screw that allows you to move the lower part or replace it.
The performance level of the tool will depend on the engine power.
The main features of the delimbers include:
- manual or mechanical trigger,
- the presence of the rod, which allows you to perform the artistic formation of the crown of the tree (distinguish collapsible, solid or telescopic rod),
- high power characteristics, thanks to which you can cut even the thickest branches,
- anti-vibration system
- ergonomics of the whole structure,
- the ability to select how to start a delimber: manual or automatic.
Of course, each model can have its own structural features that will distinguish it from the others. Consider several options for the tool depending on the type of drive.
This type of knot headers is more like the rest of garden pruners, except with longer handles.
To perform pruning branches, you have to make a certain physical effort, but this is offset by the lack of material costs for electricity or fuel, like other varieties.
As for the shortcomings, they include significant physical exertion. Using such scissors remove branches up to 5 cm in diameter.
In some stores you can find mechanical loppers, supplemented by a ratchet mechanism - a kinematic device inside the handle. It makes it possible to transform the reciprocating rotational movements into discontinuous rotational ones, with the cutting part having rather modest dimensions and weight.
Such tools are much more maneuverable and allow you to reach the branches in the most inaccessible places, making manipulations in conditions of limited space. On the handle of mechanical pruners may be present and a T-shaped stopper, which will not allow the tool to slide off during operation.
Electric delimbers are deservedly considered high-powered garden tools. They are equipped with an electric motor and work through a cable from a fixed 220V electrical network.
The main structural elements are the same as in the mechanical versions: the handle and the cutting area. Power characteristics are not as high as those of petrol varieties, but the cost is much less and there is no need for constant refueling. We will understand all the advantages and disadvantages more closely.
- high level of environmental friendliness (no harmful exhausts),
- the ability to rotate the working part of the delimber 180 °,
- relatively small weight, so a physically weak person can use a lopper,
- ease of use and maintenance (to buy parts will not be difficult),
- relatively low noise level
- good quality of the product,
- ease of use due to the presence of a grip (a handle with a control panel is additionally installed at the end of the rod, and it is often covered with an anti-slip material),
- the presence of a telescopic mechanism that allows you to cut branches at a height of more than 5.5 m, and if you have a cord machine that pulls up the cord, you will not get entangled in it.
Among the disadvantages of using this type of delimbers are the following:
- lack of working autonomy due to the use of a power cable,
- relatively small power of the product, which allows to cut only branches with a diameter of 2.5 cm,
- the need to use a power extension cord if the work is performed in the farthest corners of the garden.
Despite the fact that there are not so many disadvantages of using electric high-cutters, they become the decisive factor in the situation of choice, and not in favor of the power tool.
Cordless high-cutters are devoid of the main drawback of electric models - dependence on the supply network. Moreover, such a tool allows you to distribute your weight well, which simplifies the work.
Most models resemble an electric saw with a large base and a long threaded part, but there are also more compact products.
The advantages of buying battery cutters are as follows:
- you can freely move around the territory and cut branches in the most remote areas of the garden,
- no need to think about chain lubrication (this is an automatic function),
- lightweight construction prevents rapid fatigue of the gardener,
- low noise level increases work comfort
- the presence of a telescopic mechanism allows you to cut branches at a high enough height,
- almost all models are equipped with a special fastening belt, conveniently distributing the weight of the unit (sometimes there is a special pocket in this part where you can rest the lopper).
As for the drawbacks of such models, we can only single out the need to periodically recharge the battery, which is not always convenient when performing a large amount of work. In addition, some manufacturers save on the quality of parts, although it is possible in the case of other types of delimbers.
Gasoline high-cutters are considered to be the most powerful tools of such a plan. They managed to achieve such high rates thanks to a powerful internal combustion engine with a large working resource.
The appearance of the petrol secateurs resembles a trimmer or motokosa in many respects, but the saw with a fishing line here replaces the head.
Important and most noticeable benefits of such tools are expressed in:
- high performance, which can be obtained thanks to the above-mentioned motor,
- large work resource
- low noise level
- excellent balancing when working,
- optimum fuel consumption,
- relatively small weight and size.
The power of most gasoline high-cutters is quite enough to remove thick branches at a height of more than 5 m, so this type can be considered the best option when choosing.
Its main drawback is the price, which is much higher than that of counterparts. In addition, gasoline units often require maintenance.
How to choose
Before you finally decide on the type of height cutter, we recommend that you consider some important features:
- scope of future work: gasoline models are suitable for professional cutting, and for infrequent personal use, an electric delimber is enough,
- tool mobility: when it is impossible to use the power from the network, you should prefer battery tools (especially if you have a large garden),
- weight and dimensions of the delimber: Standard indicators - 8 kg, but if the height of the high-cut is even less, then it will become much easier and easier to work with it (the muscles get less tired),
- ergonomics: in this question, the strength of the rod and the convenient positioning of the handle play an important role, which will make it possible to eliminate the accidental sliding of the tool (it is better to choose models with rubberized handles and a convenient tilt adjustment system),
- rod length: the higher this figure, the easier it is to use the tool for pruning branches on tall trees, however, the length significantly weighs down the high-cut (models used for domestic purposes usually have a length of 170-280 cm, and professional varieties reach 420-450 cm)
- presence in the design of the oil pump: its presence guarantees self-lubrication of the cutting blades, thanks to which it is possible to achieve stable operation of the delimber,
- quality of cutting parts of high-cutter: the resulting cut should be as smooth as possible, without injuries on the rest of the tree (sharpening the web should not present any difficulties),
- the price depends on the type of instrument: gasoline more expensive mechanical cheaper
- device configuration: it is desirable that in the selected model there was a special belt that facilitates the retention of the delimber during operation,
- working noise level: the quietest - electric loppers, but the most noisy are deservedly considered gasoline units (you can find out the degree of noise produced from the technical data sheet of the device).
The most famous manufacturers of the described technology are Stihl, Oleo-Mac, HusqVarna and EFCO.
With the right approach to the issue of choice, you will receive a quality tool that can cope with basic gardening tasks, and what type of preference to choose - decide for yourself, of course, given your financial capabilities and conditions for using a delimber.
Features of high-cutting
In fact, regardless of the principle of operation, high-cutters with a telescopic bar are very similar to garden trimers, but they also belong to a special class of saws. The performance of the units depends on how the telescopic model of the high-shear cutter is driven, and of course, the parameters of the cutting components.
The high-cut telescopic petrol is started and functions by the action of an internal combustion engine. Its performance made this device high-cutter with a saw, one of the most popular, both in industrial and in private scales. Models are characterized by autonomy, the ability to work in all weather conditions, high performance. Their main purpose is to work in vast areas with a large number of green spaces of different ages, sizes, types and other indicators, for example, in forest parks.
Among the shortcomings can highlight the weight, high enough cost, noise and the need for special maintenance. Although all of these factors are not applicable to all brands that produce chainsaws high-cut.
Features of work shtangovy delimber
The shank cutter serves to work at height, in places that cannot be reached while standing on the ground, and sometimes even from a ladder. It allows you to save time by working without climbing to a tree crown or step ladder. It is convenient to take a small sucker cutter on a tree with you in order to reach the thin peripheral branches.
However, with its obvious advantages, this device has two significant drawbacks:
- cuts may not be correct or less accurate than when working with a pruner or garden saw,
- remote cuts cannot be covered.
The first drawback can be compensated for by diligence and experience, and the second by nothing. Nevertheless, it is better to cut off the interfering branch and not cover it up than to leave it to grow further.
If you try to cut a branch, the thickness of which exceeds the capabilities of the device, the cutting unit may stick in the wood of the notched branch. Trying to free it, you can break or bend the blade and cripple the branch itself. Usually, if a branch passes into the solution of blades butt or even with force, then it will not be possible to cut it. It also depends on the hardness of the wood. The wood of fruit trees is always very hard.
Shaft loppers with a fixed cutting unit
Allow to make cuts only in the plane parallel to the axis of the rod.
In the pictures are two typical representatives of delimbers with a fixed cutting unit. Their support blade has a hook shape, which “leans” on a branch at the cut point. Such a lopper can cut a branch located horizontally with minor deviations.
If the branch grows vertically, then cut it will turn out only obliquely, leaving the hemp.
Loppers can be equipped with a removable saw blade to remove large branches. This function should be used with caution - cutting a branch without the support of a detachable part may entail a tearing of the bark or splitting a branch, which then will be very difficult to cure.
Loppers of this type are much cheaper than those mentioned below, but I would not recommend buying them because of the listed drawbacks.
Shaft delimbers with a swivel cutting unit
They allow you to work in a wide range of planes with branches that have different positions in space.
The cutting node of these delimbers is rotated and fixed in a predetermined position, which allows you to cut branches located both horizontally and vertically, as well as growing down. This gives a lot more freedom compared to the previous type.
In the figure, centroinstructor (CI) sucker forelockers (telescopic): from above telescopic (model 0937, length from 2.29 to 3.63 m), from below - with a constant rod length (model 1397, 1.62 m long)
The delimber regularly worked for 1 season and, in general, I was pleased with it. Among the shortcomings I can name the place of attachment of the rope to the movable cutting blade. There is a thick plastic washer that interferes in some positions.
The swivel knot of the Raco broke (plastic parts crumbled) and was repaired with a bolt and "lamb". In the second and third photos you can see the limiting angles of rotation of the cutting unit Raco: 90º and 150º in different directions. Compare with Chi Chipper; 180º to the side of the cutting blade and only a few degrees to the side of the blade. I want to note that turning the cutting unit toward the supporting blade is usually not required, but sometimes it is useful.
In the extreme picture, the smallest delimiter (Raco), only 0.7 m long, is, on the whole, almost useless, since all that you can do them, you can do and models with a length of 1.6 meters.
If we compare QI and RACO, then the comparison is obtained in favor of QI *:
- The correct design of the cutting node and the geometry of the blades, apparently copied from the very well-known and high-quality delimbers Fiskars, which later. This geometry of the blades allows you to securely hold the branch in the process of pulling the handle.
- The swivel assembly at the CI provides 180 ° rotation of the head, which not only provides additional opportunities, but also conveniently during transportation.
- The Chipper delimiter is generally simpler. Cutting unit contains fewer parts, it is easier to clean.
- At the point of attachment of the cable to the Raco cutting blade there is a large roller, which creates inconvenience in the work even more than the mentioned CI washer. It has sharp edges and may even peel the bark from the branches.
- As I already wrote, the rotary knot of the Raco delimber broke, and I had to repair it. Maybe this is not a constructive flaw, but a marriage, but an unpleasant aftertaste still remains.
- On the bars of the Raco delimbers, overlays are made of porous material for ease of retention (extreme photo). These linings are very short-lived. Clinging to the branches, they quickly break. QI does not have these overlays.
- Perhaps the advantages of Raco include aluminum housing cutting unit. All other manufacturers make it out of plastic, and I have not heard any complaints that this plastic is breaking. For example, to break the plastic of the Fiskars UP84 delimber, I was only able to drop a thick branch onto it (not specifically, of course).
At the end of the 2018 season, my 1.5-meter deliming centro tool broke. The cause of the breakdown is the break of the upper block cable. And the reason for the breakage of the cable was the jamming of the roller through which this cable was thrown. The roller stopped spinning and this caused catastrophic wear on the cable. A completely ruthless operation of the delimber was a prerequisite to the above described chain of faults. Sometimes I happened to pull the handle with both hands in full force, putting the lopper on my shoulder. Thus, if I applied a force of about 80 kg to the handle (maybe more), then the force on the torn-off cable was more than 160 kg, since in front of him is another video that doubles the effort. I do not criticize the manufacturer, all the same, the lopper has worked for almost two seasons, having made several thousand cuts.
Shaft delimbers Fiskars and Gardena
These two most famous manufacturers of garden tools have long won an honorable place in the market. The advanced technologies, ideas and materials of these companies are copied and reproduced by many. If you are not constrained financially, then their products can be taken without fear of any unpleasant surprises.
I worked a lot with Fiskars trimmers. One of them, as I already wrote, was broken by a branch falling on it. The disadvantage can include the presence of a thin lace in the drive of the cutting blade. Its function is to transfer the force to the blade and to maintain the distance between the blades when turning the cutting unit. QI does not have such a mechanism, and if a gap in the drive is chosen, the blades begin to close when the cutting unit is turned. The lace is thin, but very durable. By applying force to the handle of the new delimber, it cannot be torn. However, over time, the lace wears out and may tear. Its replacement can take a long time if done for the first time. In addition, you should have a cord with similar characteristics. Fortunately, when using amateur loppers for domestic use, the lace should last for many years.
Gardena trimmers I did not work. He held them in his hands only in the store.
The gear drive of the cutting blade and the bearing are used in their design.
Good or bad in terms of reliability, I do not presume to judge. I can only note that the “head” of the device turned out to be very big.
I think they are no worse than Fiskars products. All the advantages listed above for the Chipper delimiter, are also characteristic of Fiskars and Gardena products.
The great advantage of both manufacturers' devices is the absence of protruding parts from the side of the cutting blade. Unlike the CI, which has a thick plastic washer, and the Raco, which has an even larger roller, the Fiskars cutting blade is driven by a bicycle chain with the second link turned 90º from above. She has no protruding parts. In the Gardena Lopper, the entire drive is hidden inside the head. By this indicator, he is the best.
Barbell delimbers from other manufacturers
In addition to the listed manufacturers, there are also such as:
- Palisade (Palisad), whose products are similar in design and functionality to products Fiskars, but hardly similar in quality. At least, an external inspection did not reveal similarity in quality.
- ARS (Japan) - an exotic instrument in our country, which I saw only at the garden exhibition, but did not work with it.
- Others (mostly “Far Eastern” producers) that produce loppers with a fixed cutting unit, which I, again, do not recommend.
Basic requirements for trimming tools
- Maximum sharpness of the blades. It will provide an even cut, not traumatic plant.
- Safety and convenience during operation.
- The ends of the blades of any tool for trimming should be narrowed. This will provide access to the most difficult branches.
- Tools must be lightweight but durable.
- Better if the handle is made of non-slip material. Yellow, red, blue tool easier to find in the grass.
These simple items apply to any kind of pruning inventory. It's time to get acquainted with the "main characters."
Let's start with the most famous and simple - with garden pruners. This is the main tool for working with fruit trees, berry and ornamental shrubs.
If only young trees grow in the country house, then it is quite possible to do with secateurs, as they are cut branches up to 2.5 cm thick. By the way, most of these branches.
The first pruner (sécateur) appeared in France in 1815. Used it for pruning the vine. The result exceeded all expectations: the cuts were clean and neat, and the treated place quickly healed. Over time, the tool improved, and there were options that are different in purpose and design. In the dacha farm can not do without two or even three different models of pruners.
Differences secateurs by appointment
- Secateurs for florists
- Secateurs for pruning prickly plants
- Graft pruner
- Grass pruner
- Секатор для овощей и фруктов
- Классический секатор
Important: Перед походом в садовый центр стоит учесть, что секаторы бывают любительские и профессиональные. Первое, что бросается в глаза, — это цена.Professional cost 2, and sometimes more times more expensive than secateurs for fans. Without a doubt, they are more convenient, more durable and more reliable. However, there are good amateur options. If you do not want to immediately spend a large amount on an expensive professional tool, you can buy a model of decent quality (and most importantly - with spare parts) at an average price. Increasingly, manufacturers are producing spare parts for secateurs in case you need to replace a failed element.
Double Cut Secateurs
The principle of operation here is based on the fact that two blades move towards each other until one of them cuts the branch and slips along the inside of the other. People call this model pruning shears (not to be confused with clippers!). They really look like ordinary household or stationery scissors with two cutting blades.
Pruning shears rarely used to work with strong branches: they will not be able to make an even cut at a time, they will only squeeze the branch. A summer resident in an attempt to finish the job will begin to “knead” her. This will cause delamination and cracks. So that pruning shears suitable for young, thin shoots (up to 10 mm), vines, grass or flowers.
Bypass pruners are familiar to all. They are used for trimming live branches. The cutting blades of the bypass pruner look like a bird's beak. One of them is sharp, the second (reference) - usually wide or with a notch. It is designed to lay the branch on a flat surface and securely fixed. At this point, the sharp blade cuts it. The most advantageous position in the process of work - the support blade is at the bottom, and the working blade “looks” at the branch.
Important: Before buying, check the tool on a piece of paper. He should cut it well, not chew it. Under the blade should not be a big gap.
Are needed for pruning dry branches. Unlike bypass, operating on the principle of scissors, secateurs with anvil cut like an ax. The working sharp blade will work until it hits the opposite plate, the anvil. The branch rather splits, being between flat and sharp blades.
"Nakovenka" do not provide respect for the tree, so it is impossible to work with such secateurs with live branches.
What else to look for when choosing a pruner
- Working qualities and service life depend from blade material. Most are made of stainless steel with a chrome, nickel or Teflon coating. Blades are considered ideal. high carbon or hardened steel. They will serve for several years without sharpening.
- Availability ratchet. Such a system turns out to be in place when there is not enough power to make a cut on a thick branch at a time. The spring returns the tool handle to its original position, and the blades remain where they were. The next time you press the handle, the pruner continues cutting, plunging deeper into the wood. As a result, the branch is cut in several stages without a “jam”.
- Optimal materials for the handle of the secateurs is polyamide, plastic with rubber pads or reinforced fiberglass. They do not rub the hand and protect against the appearance of corns.
- Availability ribbon return spring. It is considered more reliable and lasts longer than the spiral wire.
In essence, a lopper is the same pruner, only with elongated handles. Therefore, novice gardeners can easily confuse these two types of inventory.
Loppers use for thinning and crown formation, as well as for recreational pruning. They are indispensable when pruning branches with a thickness of 30 to 50 mm, especially located in remote places - in the depth of the crown or at height.
Similarities and differences between pruners and pruners
As for the types of delimbers, they coincide with the types of pruners. You can find bypasses (for live branches) or with anvil (for dry), with or without a ratchet. Respectively, criteriaof choicematch too.
But there are significant differences:
- First, both hands are always involved during the operation of the delimber, which cannot be said about the secator.
- Secondly, the handles of the delimbers are longer, which provides greater cutting power.
- Thirdly, in the model series of delimbers can be found headers. They are equipped not with two handles, but with one telescopic bar, which moves apart a few meters.
High-cutters are used for "tall work". For example, to form the crown of a tree with a height of 6 meters, you will have to arm yourself with a ladder and a couple of secateurs, and also good coordination and courage. With high-cut - easier. The handle extends to the desired height, the working blade is driven by a cord (a special cord of high strength), and the supporting blade securely holds the branch. For convenience, the handle high-cutters can be T-shaped.
Important: When buying a high-cutter, pay attention to how far the bar moves and how many degrees the cutting part rotates. The more these numbers, the easier it is to work with the highest branches, located in the depth of the crown.
3. brush cutters
As the name implies, this device is designed for trimming shrubs, as well as for the care of hedges.
Brush cutters are manual (mechanical) and motorized. They differ in type of construction.
Types of brush cutters by design
There are 2 types of construction of brush cutters (it will be about all types, except mechanical). it brush cutters trimmers and hedge trimmers. The first ones look like a mower-trimmer with a gasoline or electric motor, a rod and a cutting element. The latter are more like a chainsaw, only the cutter is different.
Important: Deciding to purchase a brush cutter, consider what it will be used for. If there are 1-2 apple trees and a couple of bushes on 6 acres, the expensive petrol option is an irrational waste. You can do mechanical or, in extreme cases, electric.
4. Garden Saws
The saw for cutting is irreplaceable where the secateurs and other tools will not cope. She can even cut off thick branches, and even a tree trunk.
Of course, you can use the usual saw on the tree, but it is preferable to still take a special for cutting. It will allow you to carefully cut, without damaging the bark.
Important: Electric and chainsaws can be used for pruning dry branches only, for all other work with live branches, garden saws are obligatory.
The tool for long work with thick live branches. Such an archery saw is called, because it looks like a bow and it also has a bowstring.
The design is lightweight, but durable thanks to a tubular frame with a diameter of about 25 mm, coated with an anti-corrosion compound. Particularly popular among gardeners archery saws with turning and replaceable blades.
The garden hacksaw has one handle and an obligatory prong-stop located at the end of the blade. The cutting element, in turn, can be either straight or curved (like a sickle).
Slanted teeth. It is very important that they be 5–7 mm high, widely divorced and sharply sharpened for sawing in both directions (on and off).
Pruning Garden Knives
What can be done with such a knife? It's all very simple:
- work with live or damaged thin branches (but not dry),
- remove unwanted young shoots
- “Bring to mind” the uneven cut that remained after trimming a thick branch,
- get rid of thorns
- cut flowers.
The blade of this knife is like a sickle. The length of it is either equal to the handle, or shorter. There are folding models or with a fixed handle. But the most important classification of trimming knives is based on the difference in size.
Interestingly, the Soviet industry produced 4 types of garden knives. All of them went under the general name "Michurinsky knife", and further the model number was designated:
- No. 1 was 128 mm long and was intended for cutting branches up to 20 mm thick,
- No. 2 - 118 mm, could work with branches up to 15 mm thick,
- No. 3 - 110 mm, in one cut processed a branch with a diameter of maximum 10 mm,
- No. 4 was intended for 7-millimeter branches, its length was also 110 cm.
Nowadays, they produce 2 types - medium and small.
1. Inoculum inoculum
Already from the name it is clear that the tool is used for budding - grafting of fruit and ornamental plants with a single bud, which is taken from the cutting of a cultivar variety. Knife make a T-shaped incision. They are also moved apart bark.
The blade of an abutment knife looks like a blade of ordinary. It is straight, with a sharp end and a slight rounding. There are models with a folding or fixed handle.
Important: Some folding models have a retractable “bone” to gently push apart the bark after cutting. In knives with an inconsistent handle "bone" is located on the blade itself.
Copulative grafting knife
Copulation is a grafting method when the graft and stock are the same thickness. The blade of the copulative knife is straight, with a slightly bevelled end. They cut the stalk, make a cut and splitting. The shape of the blade can be either rectangular or trapezoidal.
Important: The copula knife also has a “bone”. It is located at the very end of the blade.
The main manufacturers
It is worth saying a few words about the most famous brands of trimming equipment.
- Well proven garden saws, delimbers, pruners and brush cutters Gardena. The entire instrument is made of quality materials and is tested “in the fields”, that is, in conditions as close as possible to real: with inclement weather, high humidity, etc. Prices vary depending on the model. For example, mechanical shears will cost from 2,000 to 4,600 rubles, and more “complicated” battery packs can cost up to 17,000 rubles.
- In assortment Husqvarna You can find benzkustorerezy for thick and large trees (in case the site is completely running) and benzokustorerezy for working in the garden (for example, with hedges). Prices start from 19,000 rubles for the simplest option and reach 68,000 rubles for professional equipment.
- In addition to these (the most popular among summer residents) brands, you can find others: Fiskars, Felco, Ars, Bahco and domestic factory "Mechanical tool".
And how rich is your garden pruning "arsenal"?