Recently, on Russian poultry farms one can increasingly see black chickens. These birds are unpretentious in care, you can breed them without much hassle. Even a beginning poultry breeder will cope with breeding black chickens. The unusual color of these birds makes them bright and noticeable against the background of other inhabitants of the poultry yard.
Characteristics and characteristics of black chickens
A description of black chickens can be easily found in the specialized poultry literature. Usually, the literature describes, first of all, the Russian black bearded Galan, the most famous breed of hens. For most species, the following features are characteristic:
- The bird's color is bluish-black, resembling a crow, without spots and splashes of a different color. A good example is the Galan chickens. The breast may be slightly lighter than the rest of the body. Spots are considered a sign of a defect. The presence of gray (like wolf's hair) patches is also recognized as a marriage. The meat is slightly lighter in color than the plumage, but also dark. The internal organs also have pronounced pigmentation,
- Differences of the male individual from the female - roosters are slightly larger than chickens, they grow faster, they gain weight more actively. The beak of roosters is slightly larger, sharper and wider. The head of the roosters is slightly larger in size or the same as in chickens,
- The average weight of a female is 1.5 kg, the average weight of a rooster is up to 2 kg. There are also larger specimens, 3-4 kg. Pedigree larger "mongrel"
- Size - medium or large, small black chickens are almost never
- Fecundity - a hen can carry 100-150 eggs a year, depending on the conditions. The better the care of the chicken, the more productive the layer will be. They start laying eggs very early,
- Orientation - egg-bearing, meat and meat-egg breeds. There are decorative,
- Most breeds are characterized by a developed instinct for incubation. However, in some breeds, chickens can only be born in an incubator,
- Among the many varieties there are several breeds of hens, the most famous of them are Minorca and Castellana. Regarding which of these breeds is more productive, disputes have long been underway. Good hens are bearded chickens,
- Food - no different from the power of other birds. They are omnivorous: in the diet of adults there are vegetables, cereals, industrial feed,
- Growing black chickens is no different from growing other breeds.
It is possible to hatch chicks in a natural way (with the help of a hen), or artificially - with the use of a home-made or store-bought incubator.
Tip! An incubator should be chosen in which the cycle of automatic egg flip is 4 hours.
Features breeding black chickens
It is profitable to plant them, because you can easily organize non-waste production. In addition to valuable meat (and it has healing properties in black birds) and eggs, it is also possible to realize plumage (goes for making pillows and featherbeds with natural filler), as well as “guano” - bird droppings, it contains a large amount of mineral substances and is considered excellent agricultural fertilizer.
Valuable meat and eggs
When breeding should take into account the recommendations of experienced poultry farmers:
- When breeding decorative breeds, it should be borne in mind that the birds of these species are quite capricious in their care and are sensitive to any environmental influences,
- Caring for chicks includes feeding, treating and preventing infectious diseases, cleaning the room from bird droppings and walking in a specially equipped area,
- In the absence of light, the chicks do not develop well, so there must be electric lighting in the house, it turns off only at night. The sleep of the birds must take place in complete darkness
- From the room for walking the birds should easily fall back into the house,
- At temperatures below 7 degrees, the youngsters may die. Sudden temperature drops adversely affect the condition of the internal organs of poultry,
- The floor should be covered with straw or hay. Useful bedding helps keep you warm,
- Increased humidity may lead to the development of fungal diseases in young animals,
- Feeding is carried out three times a day,
- Feeder and drinking bowl should be located not only in the house, but also in the room for walking,
- In addition to the feeders and drinkers, it is necessary to install a container with ash in the house. Swimming in the ashes, birds get rid of dangerous pests and parasites. Both the little chick and the adult cock love swimming in the ashes,
- In the first days of life, chickens are given chopped eggs, then dairy products are added. Boiled eggs are a valuable source of calcium. Also, chicks can be added to food ground egg shells,
- Adult chickens should eat grain, grass, fresh seasonal vegetables and ready-made feed for poultry. When feeding green grass to birds, you need to make sure that there are no poisonous plants there. You can also make your own feed for any recipe.
Since all breeds of black chickens were bred artificially, they are distinguished by good immunity. However, it is necessary from the first day of life to engage in the prevention of disease. To this end, experienced poultry farmers recommend giving immunity-stimulating medicine Gammatonic from chickens from the first days of life. For any signs of disease, chicks or adult birds are isolated from other individuals. When treating a sick livestock, it is necessary to strictly follow the recommendations of the veterinarian, self-treatment can lead to mass death of birds. If conditions are poor, black chickens often suffer from pneumonia and other respiratory infections, in which case they are prescribed subcutaneous injections of antibiotics. To combat worms, chicks and adult birds should receive anti-parasitic agents for internal use.
Important! To destroy the parasites living on the skin of weakened chickens and chickens, you need to put a large container of ash in the house. Birds willingly "bathe" in the ashes, cleansing the skin.
To increase egg production, it is imperative to add yeast to food intended for birds. Yeast contains vitamin D, which strengthens the eggshell, helps to increase egg size and increase their nutritional value. However, if you give the yeast to birds too often, they may experience gastrointestinal upsets due to the fact that the yeast ferments in the stomach.
Coop must be insulated with straw
Coop must be insulated with straw. The straw helps to maintain the desired microclimate in the room, and also absorbs all contaminants well. During the cleaning of the chicken coop, the straw must be periodically replaced, discarding the old one and burning it.
Feed the birds at the same time, then they develop a conditioned reflex to food and birds eat their food better. In the daytime, birds should get mash, and in the evening, shortly before bedtime, feed and whole grains.
Advantages and disadvantages
The following advantages of black chickens can be noted compared to other breeds:
- Spectacular appearance
- High taste and medicinal properties of meat. Its medicinal properties are especially appreciated in China and in the countries of Southeast Asia. There, Chinese black chicken is used for medicinal purposes. Dishes from black Tibetan chicken are often served in restaurants of national cuisine,
- Good egg production,
- Peaceable, non-aggressive.
However, some drawbacks should be noted, for example:
- Females bred from incubators are often devoid of the incubation instinct,
- Superstitious people treat black birds badly, so the meat of these birds is sometimes difficult to realize,
- Birds are prone to gastrointestinal disturbances when fed improperly,
- If you cross a black chicken with a bird of a different color, the appearance may change for the worse.
Despite these shortcomings, the breed is quite popular with Russian farmers.
Black chickens are not only beautiful, but also extremely productive. Therefore, undoubtedly, it makes sense to purchase such unusual birds for keeping on a home farm.
In the hen house you need to install a bath for swimming with dried clay or sand. It is necessary to combat small parasites in the feather cover of birds.
Individuals should be given territory for walking. In summer, it is recommended to sow green grass. For successful incubation of eggs, it is desirable to take care of the presence of nests in the house. For this fit square wooden boxes. There is nothing special in the care of these beautiful birds. They just have their own characteristics.
Where can I get representatives of the breed for breeding?
Despite the fact that most of the breeds are quite rare, it is still possible to find their representatives in Russia. It is possible to purchase an incubation egg, daily young growth and representatives of an adult individual in the private nursery RUS ZOO.
Poultry breeders recently actively breed breeds of ornamental chickens, including dwarf species. Beautiful exterior, good performance of egg production, as well as meat of excellent quality are their main advantages.
Moscow black chickens - good-looking with a set of advantages:
- Heavy body. The chicken weighs up to 2.7 kg, the rooster weighs up to 3.7 kg.
- High taste of meat. The product structure is tender, fibrous and juicy.
- High egg production. The average annual rate is 180 eggs. The larger the female, the smaller the eggs she carries.
- Layers differ in intensive maturing. The breeder gets the first egg by the end of the 5th month.
Representatives of this breed are undemanding to the conditions of cultivation, do not go through food. They have good immunity. Black Moscow hens are not prone to conflicts, livable in a common poultry house, are not afraid of noise. These reasons made the breed in demand among domestic farmers.
Attention! Layers do not sit on eggs. An incubator is required for breeding young stock.
External data from Chernushka is also at altitude:
- body dimensions are small, the body is elongated,
- the back is wide
- the neck is massive and short, crowned by a lush mane of feathers,
- erect comb,
- beak black,
- the legs of chickens have the same color, and in males - dark gray.
This is the second name of the Russian black bearded chickens. The original bird was bred in the 90s. The goal is to obtain a highly productive meat and egg breed. Today it is more often kept for decorative purposes. Description of the variety:
- the body is small, the back is wide,
- head is large, eyes too,
- beak short and thick
- medium comb, slightly divided into teeth,
- has a characteristic long beard of feathers.
Attention! Massive beard is clearly visible in the photo. A similar pendulous formation is in the area of the tail.
Russian bearded chickens normally adapt to the cool climate of the Russian Federation. The bird is frost-resistant, so it does not need enhanced weatherization of the chicken coop. But about a spacious place for walking, be sure to take care. This breed needs a sense of freedom. In the aviary, the lordly chickens behave calmly, non-aggressively. Productivity:
Other breeds with coal plumage
The cockerels of the carapace species look standard: with powerful legs, a deep chest, a sweeping and long tail, a large erect crest. Chickens are less noticeable: they have a small head and large wings. Birds adapt well in a different climate, are peace-loving and stress-resistant. The young of the breed are hardy, the egg production is excellent - 250 eggs / year. Males weigh up to 3.6 kg, females weigh up to 2.7 kg. The meat has a pronounced chicken flavor.
Chickens Brahma dark productive and decorative at the same time. From the side they are easy to distinguish by a measured and stately walk, a calm disposition. Black feathers cast silver or greens. Plumage plump. Roosters grow to 4.7 kg, laying hens a little easier. Up to 170 eggs are demolished during the season.
Yurlovskaya vociferous - one of the oldest chicken varieties. Refers to the meat and egg direction. The bird has long been acclimatized in the Russian Federation. The hens have an extended posture, but the body is developed, powerful, the tail resembles squirrel. On the head there are strongly pronounced eyebrows, due to which the hens look sternly. On the plumage there are dark brown areas. Egg productivity - about 170 pieces per season. Eggs are large, weighing more than 85 g. The survival rate of chickens is about 90%. Layers and cockerels weigh 4 and 4.5 kg respectively. Meat has excellent taste characteristics. This species is aggressive and demanding of conditions.
Today, several black breed chickens are raised on private farms. As a rule, birds do not differ much from their counterparts in terms of breeding conditions and feeding characteristics.