The use of human feces as fertilizer is a rather exciting question. There is a lot of controversy over this phenomenon. On the one hand, human feces are quite good and affordable fertilizer. But on the other hand there are many disputes about the dangers of its use.
Human waste consists of fecal masses that contain feces and urine. Feces contain many minerals. This mixture is quite useful and effective type of organic fertilizer. This fertilizer contains 1.3% nitrogen, 0.3% phosphorus and 0.3% potassium.
Fecal fertilizer is twice as rich in nitrogen as manure. All these minerals are presented in a more digestible form for plants than in other organic fertilizers. Almost all the nitrogen from this fertilizer is completely absorbed by plants. But farmers and gardeners in most cases prefer organic fertilizers obtained from the vital activity of birds and animals.
Is it possible to fertilize the soil with human feces?
Pure fecal fertilizer cannot be used. There are several reasons for this:
- A smell that does not erode for a long period of time,
- Sanitary standards. Feces can be a source of infection with gastrointestinal infections, parasites. Parasite eggs and Escherichia coli continue to live in fecal masses for a long time. They are not afraid of neither dehydration nor cold. After getting such a fertilizer in the garden, the parasites multiply in vegetables and fruits, get into the water and infect the area,
- Soil composition changes. Fecal matter contains large amounts of chlorine and sodium, which alkalize the soil and make it unsuitable for many plants.
- Such fertilizer without processing can cause burns of the roots of plants and their green parts.
In many countries, it is prohibited at the legislative level to use human faeces as a pure fertilizer. In such countries, large firms are engaged in the production of fertilizer from human excrement.
To date, technologies have been developed for the processing of human waste and the production of fertilizer from them. In countries such as America, United Kingdom and Japan, there is a whole industry of such production. From human waste and manure they produce fertilizers rich in phosphorus and nitrogen, bio-humus and other fertilizers. The industrial production process consists of heat treatment, disinfection and enrichment.
The fertilizer produced on special equipment is widely used for landscaping stadiums, lawns on golf courses and other landscape design works. For fertilizer of vegetable, cereal, fruit and other crops used in food, this fertilizer does not apply.
Can I use in pure form
In the “original” form, the contents of cesspools are used extremely rarely. There are several reasons for this:
- This method is not hygienic, not recommended for garden crops and berries.
- Possible contamination of soil and groundwater.
- Salinization and alkalization of the soil, increasing the chlorine content.
- Most of the nitrogen is lost.
- The method is quite time-consuming.
In a number of countries, the use of feces as fertilizer in its natural form is prohibited by law, even though large companies are engaged in the production of fertilizers from human excrement. Excreta contain more than 20 types of conditionally harmless bacteria. Being in different parts of the intestines, they perform a unique function, helping to digest food. Getting into other parts of the digestive system, some bacteria, such as E. coli, cause serious infectious diseases. You can also become infected with parasites, so it is hardly worth fertilizing the garden with human feces.
When using fecal masses, as well as any fertilizer, it is necessary to follow certain safety rules.
Some experts allow the use of feces in its pure form, as a fertilizer for ornamental plants and hedges. In the fall, when harvesting cesspools, when the harvest is gathered, a trench 0.5 m deep is dug near the plants, length is necessary. The trench is poured the contents of the cesspool, which is plentifully poured from above with earth taken out of the trench. Rammed.
In other sources offer the contents of the toilet 1-2 times a week, dropping to a depth of 30-40 cm in different parts of the garden. The main thing is not to repeat, and fertilize consistently in different places, observing the interval of several months. In addition to a regular clean toilet, the bonus will be that the moles and voles are afraid of the smell of feces and leave the garden.
For the preparation of solutions and infusions for feeding feces can not be used.
An alternative to the accumulation of feces in the cesspool, where they become a breeding ground for flies and unpleasant odors - peat toilet. For his device need:
- A tank or box of sufficient volume (15-20 liters) that does not let water through.
- Dry peat, straw waste or sawdust - the lowest grade material is suitable.
- Superphosphate - its addition to the tank, in minimal doses, will shake it completely to get rid of the smell and flies, will keep the concentration of nitrogen.
What crops to make compost for
Compost use is determined by the criteria:
- Safety and health standards.
- The quality of the soil.
- burn the roots of plants
- change soil acidity
- suck it up with micro and macro elements.
Fecal based fertilizer
In the USA, Milogranit is manufactured by fertilizer from industrial faeces using calcination, disinfection and fermentation processes. Use such fertilizers only for ornamental plants and lawn grass. In the cultivation of food they are not used. Potassium humate is also represented on the market; fertilizer is also obtained by industrial processing of feces.
Fertilizers from urban sewage faeces contain too much heavy metal salts, which accumulate in the soil and fruits.