Knowing how to pluck a duck properly at home should not only the farmer, but also the city dweller, it is never known when this skill can be useful. After all, now you can buy fresh duck on the market, not yet plucked. Do not lose your head and carry out this procedure according to all the rules our article will help you.
Before we proceed to the analysis of specific methods of plucking feathers from ducks, pay attention to general rules and recommendations.
So, it is not necessary to engage in plucking immediately after the slaughter of a duck, according to experts, you must wait at least 2-3 hours. This pause will give you the opportunity to save the skin, since the subcutaneous fat will harden during this time. It is best to start plucking from large feathers, for example, from the wings and tail, gradually, as you clean, turning to small ones. Pulling feathers is necessary in the direction of their growth and in any case not against. In many sources, one can come across the opposite information, but experienced poultry farmers recommend to pluck this way, as this allows to protect delicate skin areas as much as possible from injury. But note that these recommendations apply only to large feathers, small ones can be plucked both in the direction of growth and against.
After getting rid of feathers on the skin, a light down can remain, it is best to remove it with a blunt knife. A little advice from experienced farmers: so that the fluff does not fly in all directions and does not interfere with your work, you need to sprinkle it with water before plucking it.
After reviewing superficially this procedure, let's learn more specifically about how to pluck a duck correctly and what methods are best to apply.
The dry method is considered the easiest and most affordable plucking method. If you know a few rules and nuances, then this procedure can be done as quickly and easily. Interestingly, it is in this way that the hunters pluck the game, because they believe that the bird is best to pluck while it is warm.
So, consider how to quickly pluck a duck:
- Place the duck on a pre-spread newspaper or sheet, and start pulling out all the largest feathers. It is best to start with the wings and tail, gradually moving to the back. To pluck, as already mentioned above, it is best in the direction of growth of feathers, as this will minimally damage the delicate skin of the duck.
- The chest and neck should be plucked last, as the smallest feathers grow here.
- After plucking on the skin, the duck will have a fine fluff, it is almost impossible to remove it with your hands, therefore, the following two methods are recommended: remove it with a blunt knife or sprinkle flour on the duck and scorch. Above the fire, the carcass must be kept no longer than 2 minutes, otherwise the subcutaneous fat will melt and the skin will burn.
- In the end, the carcass is well washed under running water and cleaned from soot.
This is undoubtedly the easiest option of how to quickly pluck a duck.
The best-known hot plucking method is by scalding the carcass.
Please note that immediately after slaughter, you do not need to start plucking. It should take at least 4 hours. After this time, you can safely proceed to the procedure.
- Heat the water to 80 degrees in a large saucepan or pot. Please note that the water should not boil, otherwise the skin on the carcass just burst and pinching feathers will be almost impossible.
- Dip the duck into the pan for no more than one minute.
- Then proceed with the plucking procedure. When using this method, the feathers will be easier to remove if you pluck against their growth.
- Start plucking from the wings, moving to the tail. And last but not least, remove the feathers and feathers from the chest, back and neck.
- With the same purpose as in the first embodiment, the carcass must be singed.
- Rinse thoroughly and remove any soot that has appeared.
This method of plucking ducks has a slight minus: after scalding with hot water, the duck meat becomes red.
A very common method of plucking a duck with a bag. For this procedure, you will need a bag, preferably a cloth, a basin and an iron.
So, let's look in detail at how to pluck a duck using this method:
- Fabric bag soak for 10-15 minutes in boiling water.
- After this time, take out the bag and squeeze it well so that water does not flow from it.
- Place the duck carcass in a bag, tie it well and dip it in hot water for 5-7 minutes.
- While the duck is in the water, heat the iron to the maximum temperature, and then begin to iron the bird's carcass well through the bag (after having pulled it out of the pelvis, of course). You should do this as carefully as possible so that there are no wrinkles. All this will greatly simplify the plucking procedure.
- After you have smoothed the duck, remove it from the bag and begin to pluck.
Sometimes the question arises: how to pluck a duck in this way, if there is no iron on hand. You can use this method without ironing, this procedure speeds up the plucking a little, but if there is no iron, you can easily cope without it. The only caveat - the duck in the water, you can hold a little longer.
Duck plucking methods
There are several ways to pluck a bird. It is dry and hot processing methods. After reviewing all the options, each owner chooses according to his preference. For long-term storage of meat in the freezer, only the dry method of feather separation is suitable; for hot methods, the duck should be immediately processed into a food product.
After hot processing, the meat changes its natural color to red, and in this case it will not be possible to use the pen as a filler for clothes and bedding. Care must be taken when working with hot water, the carcass and the iron itself in order to avoid burns. The advantage of hot plucking methods over dry is the ease of feathering and the absence of flying fluff.Duck can be plucked in various ways.
The method is also often used by poultry farmers. To some, it may seem more complicated than the previous one, but with the necessary skill, everything turns out easily and quickly. To make it, you will need a large pan or basin in which the duck fits completely. You can also use the kettle.In the hot method, the duck carcass is first scalded in water.
Sequence of procedure:
- Heat the water in the pan to 80 degrees. Water should not boil, because skin may burst from boiling water, and feathers can no longer be plucked. Temperatures below the specified will not give the desired effect.
- Lower the carcass into the water. The young bird is kept in the tank for 1 to 5 minutes. Carcasses of old birds can be kept up to 10-15 minutes. Longer treatment is fraught with the fact that the skin can be boiled and subsequently removed with feathers.
- In another embodiment, you can pour the duck with heated water from the kettle, trying to get on all the feathers and leave it in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Scalded carcass is removed from the water and immediately begin to pluck, hanging it by the paws for ease of processing. In this case, it is more convenient to remove the pen against its growth.
- Further scorching will help get rid of the remaining pads and fluff.
- Soot is removed by washing.
Hot method with bag and iron
This method of plucking also deserves attention, although it is used less often than the previous ones.When scalding with iron, the skin on the duck's carcass is not torn, the feather comes off easily.
It is carried out using an iron, boiling water and burlap from natural fibers in the following sequence:
- In a boiling water soak a canvas bag and squeeze it out with precautions.
- Place the duck in the bag, wrapping it tightly and leaving it to lie down for 10-15 minutes.
- Iron the bundle evenly several times with the maximum heated iron.
- Expand the burlap and begin processing the carcass in the same sequence.
The method is convenient in that the heated pen is easily removed, and the risk of skin damage is minimal. Therefore, it is used by hunters for the hit game with a punched skin. Unlike scalding, meat retains its color.
Important. Hot processing methods, though simple, are traumatic. Remove the carcass from the water with forceps. Beginning the process of plucking, you should be careful, because the wet pen stays hot for a long time. It should be closer and with a hot iron.
Of course, the above methods of freeing duck carcasses from the feather are suitable only if there is a small number of birds. The owners of large poultry farms know how to quickly cope with this task with the help of a permissive machine. However, small perosremovable nozzles for the screwdriver can facilitate the procedure and can easily afford even the owner of several birds in the yard.The fastest way to pluck a duck carcass is to use a perimeter machine.
We save duck feathers and down
In addition to meat products, ducks are capable of producing remarkable material in the form of down and feather. Duck down is less valuable than eider, swan or goose. However, it also has excellent thermal insulation properties. Down and small feathers will serve as a good filler for blankets and pillows, and the rest of the feather in the kitchen is useful for lubricating pastries, various handicrafts and decorating.
As mentioned above, a material suitable for further use can be obtained with a dry plucking method.
Proper preparation of raw materials will allow to use it for up to ten years or more:
- Sorting. It is more convenient to carry out during the process of pinching, immediately separating the small feather with down from the large one.
- Washing. To get rid of fat, smell and dirt, the collected mass is soaked in a warm solution of soapy water for 2-3 hours. Then you need to thoroughly rinse the raw material in a large amount of cool water and squeeze.
- Drying. Clean fluff is dried in a cloth bag in a ventilated dry room or in the sun. To avoid rotting the feather is subjected to periodic shaking and agitating.
Duck dressing rules
After plucking, scorching and washing the duck, it is advisable to immediately begin to gut it. First cut off the neck. First of all, it is necessary to remove the intestines in order to prevent damage to the product, especially in the warm season. To do this, carefully make a hole in the cloaca and through it to draw out the guts, while cutting out the sebaceous gland.
The esophagus and goiter is removed through a hole in the neck. Then cut the abdomen to gut the lungs, heart, liver and stomach. These offal is deposited separately for the preparation of various dishes from them. Fat is separated and deposited, which can then be re-heated and used for frying. The wings are cut off at the first joint, the legs - just below the heel joint. You can also remove and neck, not of great nutritional value.
Gutted carcass thoroughly washed from the remnants of blood with repeated changes of water. After draining and drying the carcass is ready to freeze.
If it is intended to cook the duck in parts, then the next step will be a carving of the carcass.
Having groped the joints, make cuts on them and separate the ham first, then the wings. Laying the duck carcass on the back, make an incision along the keel and separate the loin. The remaining bone skeleton of the ribs and the spine is separated and further used for the preparation of broths. The skin is sent to the fat mass for reflow.
Now you can proceed to the ultimate goal - cooking duck meat.
After getting acquainted with how to manually pinch and cut the duck, we hope that you will succeed quickly, efficiently and without unnecessary trouble.
In the video, the farmer shows the whole process of plucking and cutting a duck carcass.
Preparation for plucking
Oshchipu preceded by slaughtering ducks. In the household, the time of slaughter is determined just by the state of the plumage. The best moment is considered to be 60-65 days of life, when the covering has fully increased, but the primary feathers have not yet matured. For ease of removal, these feathers are allowed to grow up to 1-1.5 cm, so it will be easier to pick them up. However, the operation should not be postponed for more than 10 days. When the coating of the wings matures, it leaves a lot of stumps and bristles. The carcass does not work outwardly attractive.
Having decided on the day of slaughter, the bird is put on a starvation diet. For at least 12–16 hours, individuals feed only on water, so that the goiter, stomach, and intestines of the carcass are cleaner. The duck spends its last night under illumination, in isolation from the flock.
12 hours before slaughter, ducks only drink water, they don’t give them food.
Killing is easiest to accomplish after stunning a blow to the head. The body is suspended by the legs and the carotid artery is cut. The knife is held sharply, with a slight downward slope. Then it is necessary to withstand the carcass in the same position above the bucket for about 10 minutes until complete bleeding. In the process it is convenient to use special cones that do not allow the duck to lose shape. When the blood stopped flowing, you can begin to remove the feathers.
Subtleties and nuances of quick plucking
Professionals have some duck plucking secrets. Their use will allow to keep the presentation of the product to the maximum. In addition, the time spent on manipulation will be reduced. Attention should be paid to the following factors:
- accounting for molting time before slaughter. It is necessary to avoid coincidence of the molting period with the moment of slaughter. To do this, several live feathers are pulled out of the live duck. If they come out easily and painlessly - you can start slaughtering. In the process of shedding, the rods go out with difficulty, and it is better to immediately remove the shredded animal from the skin along with feathers,
- pause after slaughter. If you wait 2-4 hours after killing the birds, the fat under the skin will harden. This fact will keep the skin whole when pulling out feathers. The optimal temperature is about + 5C. Dried meat also has the best flavor due to the removal of excess fluid. For keeping fit cool garage, cellar, shed or refrigerator with ventilation function. The carcass can be left hanging or put in a large plastic container,
- workplace preparation. It is better to spend it on the street, because it is unlikely to avoid clogging up the space. Indoors, it is desirable to lay the floor, it will facilitate the subsequent cleaning. For feathers, you need to prepare 2 bags or a box - for small and large copies. It is rational to allocate capacity and under the fluff. Sorting along the way saves considerable time. The most comfortable position is to sit on a chair, put drawers between your legs or in front of them, rest the duck on your knees with your head down,
- sequence of parts of the carcass during processing. From the bloodless duck they overwhelm from the wings and tail, with the transition to the sternum and dorsal surface. In traumatic slaughter without bloodletting, one should start from the back, moving successively to the stomach, shoulder girdle, a pair of wings and tail,
- direction of movement. Large feathers are removed only in height to prevent tearing of the skin. Small ones can be pulled both in growth and against it, as it is more convenient for hands,
- preservation of the integrity of the skin. If the cover is damaged at least in a couple of areas, the skin begins to creep away. In such conditions it is very difficult to carry out an obshch, and sometimes it is not at all realistic,
- down pretreatment. Pooh will not scatter, dust, if it is sprinkled with water beforehand. The remains after plucking are removed with a blunt knife,
- confidence movements. The jerks are made with a firm hand, sharply and quickly. With a smooth pull the skin breaks. On one movement capture a small bunch. A lot of feathers pull harder at once.
In addition to the basic recommendations, it is worth remembering that it is not always possible to pluck a duck completely. The hardest feathers of the neck, wings and head can be left for further processing.
Plucking after scalding
In addition to the dry method of plucking birds, there are more professional ways that help to do the job better. One of them is scalding a duck carcass. After this operation, the feathers are removed much easier.
- Water heats up to 80 ° С - it is possible to damage the skin when plucking feathers.
- The bird is dipped in a pot of water for a minute.
- Feathers plucked from the wings to the side of the tail, regardless of the direction of growth.
- The last to remove the feathers in the thoracic and cervical regions.
- A bird is scorched over a fire to remove small inclusions - fluff, feathers, hairs.
- The duck is rinsed with running cool water.
With bag and iron
Another method of plucking ducks is to use a fabric bag and iron. For the procedure will need an iron, a basin, a bag of cloth and water.
- The bag is soaked for 15 minutes in water and then wrung out.
- The bird carcass is placed in a bag that is tightly tied.
- A bag of duck is immersed for 5-7 minutes in a container with hot water (about 80 ° C).
- While the carcass is in water, the iron is heated to its maximum temperature.
- The bird is proglazhivaetsya through a wet bag with a hot iron. At the same time, it is necessary to ensure that there are no folds on the bag and the whole area of the carcass has passed such heat treatment.
- The duck comes out of the bag and is plucked.
Такой метода часто применяют охотники, но подойдет он и для домашнего хозяйства. Нужно обзавестись парафином, для одной птицы понадобится кусочек 10×10см.
- Утке рекомендуется отрезать крылья. Лапы стоит оставить, для того чтобы удобнее было держать утку.
- Выдергивается перьевой покров из хвостовой части и с крыльев (если их оставили).
- The biggest feathers on the body are plucked.
- Prepare containers with boiling and cold water.
- Remove boiling water from the stove and put wax in a saucepan. It melts until a thin film appears on the surface.
- A duck is immersed in the tank, paraffin should completely wrap the carcass. No need to hold more than 3 seconds, so as not to burst the insides and the meat is not damaged.
- The duck is transferred to cold water for several minutes to fix the wax.
- The bird is pulled out and squeezed in the abdomen. The wax layer cracks, after which it is removed in pieces until complete removal of paraffin.
- The result is a carcass with skin color and very smooth to the touch.
Singing with this method does not apply.
Plucking immediately after slaughter
Removing feathers from freshly whipped game is preferred by most hunters. This is convenient in terms of cleanliness in the house, freezing and cooling in portable equipment. In addition, many people know that crispy skin on a fried or smoked duck is a delicacy of gourmets. It does not allow fat to flow out and dry meat with fire, retains a specific aroma, for the sake of which the race for the bird is being started.
Standardly, the process proceeds in the usual dry way. Then the carcass is burnt on the fire, they cut off the head, paws, the lower phalanx of the wings, gut. The semi-finished product is sent to the smoking shed, on a fire or a spit, in a kettle.
However, experienced miners do not like to spend a lot of time plucking feathers in the field. They prefer to use wax instead of tweezers and fingers. The operation is much faster. You can resort to the help of this trick at home.
- big boiler with boiling water,
- similar cold water boiler
- a piece of paraffin wax,
- knife and nippers.
The tools needed to pluck a duck immediately after slaughter.
Paraffin can be bought in stores like "Hunting and Fishing", shops with goods for hobbies and departments with manicure accessories. Each bird requires 1 small bar (about 10 by 10 cm). Gradually waxed flap looks like this:
Step 1. Remove legs and wings. Apply the usual method with pliers and a knife. If necessary, these parts can be left in place to further identify the type of carcass. Some hunters are advised to leave the legs in order to keep the duck for them during further processing steps.
Step 2. Pull the tail feathers from the tail and fly-wings from the wings (if they are left). Need to pull on growth. They even give in to hands without tweezers.
Step 3. Pluck the largest feathers from the body against growth. Pull off and tear off better grip the thumb and index finger. Temporarily put the carcass on a clean surface.
Step 4. Prepare pots full of freshly boiled and cold water.
Step 5. Remove boiling water from fire. Melt the wax block in it. The desired state - when a thin film of paraffin floats to the surface.
Step 6. Dip game Quickly immerse the duck in a layer of wax gathered on the surface. It is advisable not to break the paraffin film so that it completely wraps the carcass. Hold no longer than 2-3 seconds. Overheating threatens to burst entrails and meat spoilage.
Step 7. Immediately transfer the bird to the cold water bucket. Dip for 1-2 minutes until the wax is fixed. It is also important not to overdo it.
Step 8. To conduct "hair removal". Squeeze the bird in the abdomen. The coating will crack. Now it is convenient to remove the wax pieces. So tear off all paraffin.
The result will be a duck with smooth skin of flesh color with a slight pink shade. Singe a carcass is no longer required.
Used wax can be heated, drained, cooled and reapplied. An alternative to paraffin is boiling resin. The principle of operation is completely analogous.
In the field after plucking, it is preferable to immediately gut.
Step 1. Cut off the head. If the skin was removed with feathers, at this stage the skin should be pulled over the head and cut the neck and torso joint with nippers. When plucking, simply cut off the neck as close as possible to the shoulders.
Step 2.Ampute tail. The tail is a small piece of fat in the back of the carcass. Nippers or a blade to separate this piece in a circle.
Step 3.Notch the ribs. Below ribs duck has no meat. The easiest way to remove the internal organs is to make a cut between the base of the chest and the rest of the cavity. Knife need to rip a few bands under the chest bone. It is better to start from the sides, moving to the center. When incisions are made, fingers are pushed into the middle ones. Further enough to pull over a cautious, but heightened movement. The top of the bird must be firmly held with the other hand. The peritoneum moves away with the intestine. Often at the same time the liver and heart come out.
Step 4.Remove the liver, heart, if they did not come out earlier.Cut the stomach. Separate the gall sac from the liver (green capsule). These organs can be removed through the top, if for some reason the intestine is not removed from the peritoneum and there is a risk of hitting it. Do not allow the bile and intestinal contents to leak to the meat. It will spoil its taste.
Step 5.Pull out the remains of the esophagus.Cut off a piece of pulp with a bullet, if this has not been done previously. Rinse the carcass.
The most valuable part of the duck is breast fillet. Meat hunters in order to save space immediately separated only him. In this embodiment, the process looks a little different. After bending the skin down to the neck, one foot is placed on the head and the other foot on the paws. The skin is put under the back, belly turn up. The brisket is pulled out, the rest of the carcass, including organs, remains on the ground. The belly is pruned under the fillet. Put your fingers under the bone near the fork on the neck. Another hand grab the bone of the sternum near the lower ribs. It remains only strongly, but slowly to pull the meat, swaying the skin back and forth. It will come out with both wings, if they have not been amputated before.
In addition to manual ways, people have come up with machines that are called perosable to facilitate this work. Many mechanical devices for removing the pen make themselves, using for this purpose a drill and nozzles with mobile fingers.
Plucking a duck with such an advanced drill takes an average of ten minutes. But speed, unfortunately, does not always imply quality. Often, after such treatment, the condition of the carcass leaves much to be desired - the skin is damaged, limbs and some bruises are twisted. This is described as the worst possible option. Therefore, use this method or not, decide for yourself.
And yet, if you keep a lot of ducks and it's time to let some of them go to the face, then do it in such a way that no other ducks see. That is, in a specially equipped place. And this is not only from humane considerations, but also from practical ones. As if you keep their nerves, you will get more meat in the future.
How to nip with a nozzle
Technological advances have also reached the poultry industry, making it possible to use mechanical devices to pluck birds at home. This will help the so-called perosemny nozzle for a drill, hammer drill or grinder. The device has a rather “prickly” look with multidirectional grooved rubber “fingers”.
To make the procedure as successful as possible, you should follow some rules:
- plucking a carcass is best done on the street, in order to avoid inhaling the smell of a corpse,
- the bird’s body must be completely drained
- peel off before plucking
- removing feathers is more convenient with sharp tweaks with your thumb and forefinger,
- deeply seated feathers are removed with tweezers or special tweezers to avoid stumps,
- the bird is slaughtered during the period when there is no molt - then it is better cleaned of feathers and fluff,
- a wild duck before pickling and butchering should be checked for the presence of pellets in its body.
Feedback from network users on how to pluck a duck
Put the duck on a prepared sheet or paper, start pulling out all the big feathers. Pulling is best for growth, so as not to damage or break the skin. After, proceed for plucking the breast, smoothly moving to the neck and back. When all the fluff is removed, the hair may remain on the body. They are difficult to shoot, so most often the carcass is rubbed with flour and scorched. To get rid of the hairs just hold for a couple of seconds over the fire. But you should not keep it for a long time so that the subcutaneous fat does not melt and the skin does not burn. At the end of my carcass and cleaned up soot.
The duck can be plucked in two ways dry (immediately after slaughter) and wet (3-4 hours after slaughter).
Dry: the bird should be still warm, plucking putting the bird on its knees upside down (this is more convenient). Wet: immersed in hot water for a minute, but not boiling water (70-80 degrees), and then feathers are removed. Then the bird is suspended by the legs and plucked as quickly as possible. This method has a drawback: duck meat turns red if this procedure is performed immediately after slaughter qqq_.
If you plan to keep a bird, then it is better to use a dry plucking method. Do not forget to singe the carcass.
It is necessary to wrap the duck with a wet thick towel, or with a mat. The towel should be well moistened and slightly wrung out, only so that the water does not flow. And then duck is necessary. iron strongly heated iron :). Well ironed so that hissed and steamed. From boiling water, it really does sometimes happen that the feathers are removed along with the skin. And from the iron - never! Only feathers. If in some remote place the feathers are left unpaired, the procedure can be repeated at the "local" level: again thoroughly moisten the towel and iron))).
After all feathers are removed, the duck must be oshmal. To do this, you can use a piece of dried dry alcohol.
How to pluck a duck at home
Bird for this you need to hang on the paws, wings lay for each other. The head is taken in hand, a little ottyagyvat neck. On the left side of the neck below the ear lobe, a 18-20 cm incision is made in the vein and artery 1.5-2 cm wide. Then the duck should be hung by the paws, so that the carcass would bleed.
This process lasts an average of 10 minutes. Another way to slaughter ducks is to chop off the head, after which the carcass should also be suspended for bleeding.
Next step: plucking. To do this, pour boiling water over the carcass. Then it should be allowed to cool. In 2 hours, the duck will cool down, and the duck fat will harden. Feathers will be more easily plucked.
If the bird is old, it must be dipped a couple of times in boiling water. To facilitate plucking, immediately after scalding, wrap the duck in a dense fabric, hold it for a couple of minutes. Another way to facilitate plucking is to wrap the duck in wet gauze. Iron the duck with a hot iron. And after that, you can begin to pluck. First pluck large feathers. Then proceed to the small feathers of the brisket, shoulders and back, legs, neck. Down and feathers are removed gently and gently, so as not to damage the skin. After plucking, the duck's carcass is slightly burnt on the fire.
Plucked feathers should be washed in warm water, adding a little laundry detergent. Then carefully caress. Rinse water should be changed a couple of times. Then the feathers are squeezed and dried.
The next step is gutting the carcass. For semi-gut open the belly of the carcass and pull the intestines completely. With complete gutting, all the internal organs of the carcass are removed. Leave only the lungs and kidneys. The head in this case is cut off along the second cervical vertebra. The paws are cut off to the heel of the driftwood, and the wings are cut to the elbow of the heel.
For short-term preservation of duck carcasses the best way is a refrigerator. However, there are a couple of ways to keep the meat fresh for a couple of days. In summer, wrap the carcass in a clean cloth soaked in vinegar. If the fabric dries, it needs to be moistened with vinegar all the time.
To keep the carcass for a long period, it must be cooled down successively, and then frozen. Frozen duck carcasses can persist for 2-3 months. Before you cook something with duck, the carcass must be defrosted successively so that meat does not lose its nutritional and taste properties.
Also, duck meat is well preserved in salted form. For this, after gutting the duck is cut into several pieces, laid out in a barrel or ceramic dish. Meat sprinkled with salt. After 2 days, the meat is taken out, the brine is allowed to drain. Melt and warm duck fat. Salted meat is placed in it. After waiting a bit, pieces of meat are taken out and allowed to cool. Then tightly spread in a glass or enamelware. Fill the top with warm fat and cover with a lid. Dishes with meat left in a cool place.
Duck carcasses are also well preserved in smoked form. If you plan to keep the duck for a long period - a cold way of smoking is recommended. For short storage, a hot smoking method will do. Smoked carcasses are hung and stored in a cool place.
Gloucester Apple Tree Description.
Room for chickens →
How to pluck a duck?
Any gala dinner can decorate the poultry dish. If not to be banal, an ordinary and familiar hen can be replaced by an ordinary and unaccustomed duck.
From the duck you can cook a lot of delicious dishes that will differ in taste, or even surpass the chicken. Moreover, the cooking process does not take much time and does not require special knowledge and skills. For example, in Catholics, a duck dish is an indispensable attribute of a festive Christmas table. But Chinese cuisine is famous for Peking style duck.
In Russian cuisine, too many recipes for cooking birds. But first of all, you have to go to the store for a duck.
You can purchase already plucked duck. It is completely ready for heat treatment and should only be thawed.
But the situation is different with poultry. After slaughter it is necessary to immediately pluck. It is worth noting that it is worth starting the plucking procedure 3–4 hours after slaughter. There are two ways to pluck: dry and pre-scalding. Using a drill nozzle When scalding, the duck after slaughter is immersed in hot water for a minute, but not boiling water (70-80 degrees), and then feathers are removed. Then the bird is suspended by the legs and plucked as quickly as possible. There is a drawback to this method: duck meat turns red.
A dry method of plucking is done immediately after the slaughter, while the bird is still warm. For convenience, the plucking one should sit on a low chair and put the game on his knees head down. A box for feathers and down should be placed in front of your knees. You can sort the feathers at the same time as plucking. For two or three varieties. When slaughtered, ducks split first wing wings and tail feathers, but with the bloodless plucking, you should start from the back, then go to the chest, then to the shoulders and then to the wings. As a rule, the bird is plucked clean. The only exceptions are feathers on the neck, head and hard feathers of the wings.
If the bird was killed in a bloodless way, then more feathers should be left on the neck than during slaughter by cutting the veins. This is necessary to hide the place of accumulation of blood. By the way, plucking should be done without damaging the skin. If you are planning to keep beaten birds, then it is better to use a dry plucking method. After finishing the process of removing fluff and feathers, remove the stumps and feathers with a blunt knife. You can singe the bird to remove small feathers and hairs. And before scorching, you need to straighten the skin so that it does not have folds. Wings should be deployed, one hand on the head, the other on the legs, stretch the duck and sing it over the alcohol burner or gas burner.
But if the carcass of a duck is wet or scorching occurs on the smoking smoke (from splinters, dry straw, paper), but the body should be rubbed with bran or flour. Flour will absorb moisture and small hairs that remained after plucking, easily separated from the skin and burned. Soot from the flame quickly washed off with water along with flour. By the way, singe should be careful not to melt the subcutaneous fat and not damage the skin itself. Removal of the intestines. The removed intestines facilitate the cooling of the poultry carcass and are often used in the heat so that the meat does not deteriorate. All guts from goiter to straight is worth pulling through the anus. Or through the hole, which is specially made nearby. It is necessary to remove the intestines, if the bird is stored in the refrigerator. Cutting the Bird Before gutting a bird, wings, legs, neck are chopped off and the abdomen is cut.
Before cutting off the neck, it is necessary to cut the skin on it and leave part of it on the chest side. This is necessary so that when filling the carcass you can stab the goiter and place the neck of the cut. The legs should be cut off by 1-2 centimeters below the heel joint, and the wings - by the first joint. Gutting a duck is standing through a cut on the belly. The stomach, lungs, liver and heart are removed through the hole. After that, the carcass can be washed in cold water. At least 2-3 times.
Animal carcasses should be kept in water only during rinsing. Otherwise they can lose all extractive and nutrients. For another method of oshchipa ducks should be patiently, as well as a canvas bag from a rather coarse canvas, as well as an iron. First, you need to pour hot water into the bag. Она должна оставаться там 10-15 минут. После этого слейте воду и отожмите мешок, но не сильно. Положите тушку утки в мешок и плотно заверните. На втором этапе следует мешок с уткой прогладить хорошо разогретым утюгом. Процедура займет 5-7 минут. После этого выньте тушку утки из мешка и приступите непосредственно за ощип. Сначала надо удалить перо, делается это вручную, а затем удалите пух.And down and feather need to be folded separately.
It is worth noting that it is very convenient to pluck a duck by first placing sheets of paper under the bird. Boiling water will help remove the plumage. Duck should begin to pluck from the chest and gradually move to the neck and back. By the way the neck, after running off of blood, it is necessary to wrap a newspaper. Otherwise, it stains the pen. However, this can not attach importance, if you do not plan to use it further.
However, using a bag of coarse canvas, you can peel a duck in another way. But it will need a Russian stove, and not the usual one, but with a cast-iron surface. Bird carcass should be wrapped in a bag that was also pre-soaked in hot water. After this, it is necessary to roll the bag with the duck inside over the cast-iron surface. This is a kind of alternative to ironing. But the main thing here is not to overdo it. A duck's carcass can be overcooked, then the skin on tearing will tear, and removing feathers and down will be problematic. If there are remains of feathers on the duck's carcass, then you can not pull them out, but simply sing them on the fire. For example, bring in the gas stove and hold over the hob. Note that the duck carcass must be constantly turned over.
Hunters advise a few more ways. For example, in order not to wrap a duck in a canvas bag, you can simply pour boiling water over the game. To do this is extremely necessary, because otherwise it will not be possible to pull out a single feather. If there is absolutely no time to touch, you can simply sing feathers or cut the feathers along with the skin. The disadvantage of such methods is that the dishes are obtained without the fragrant and crisp crust that is obtained from the skin. By the way, the pen can be useful in everyday life. They can fill the pillows, but from a fairly large feathers you can make a bunch.
It is useful for lubrication of flour products and pans before baking. By the way, our grandmothers used this method, perhaps thanks to this method, their cakes were so tasty. Plucked duck is best to bake. However, the pillows will be softer if they are not stuffed with a feather, but with fluff left over from the pinch. It is better to release the feathers from the rigid rod. It is very easy to do with your hands. After the duck carcass is plucked, you can proceed to the cooking process. Recipes how to cook a duck abound.
You can choose a dish for every taste. But the main thing to remember, the main thing is not to overdry a duck. Therefore, from time to time it should be watered with prominent juice.
Prepare a large pot or basin with a volume of at least 20-25 liters, pour water there and heat to about 70 degrees. Take the duck by the paws and dip into the water for 5-10 minutes, then take out and begin to pluck.
The pores of a dead bird lose their elasticity, the skin cools quickly, and the feathers barely leave the capsule of the bag.
Pull the feathers in the direction of the paws to the head, and very quickly, until the skin is cold. It is convenient to work in disposable rubber gloves, it is better in two pairs of hands, so it would not be superfluous to get an assistant. The skin of the carcass after the procedure becomes bright red, this is normal and should not bother you.
After the “wet” plucking, the feathers suffer, they can no longer be used as a filler. Many housewives see this as a significant drawback.
The “dry” method is acceptable immediately after the duck is slaughtered, while the bird’s body retains heat. The most convenient to perform this procedure in a sitting position. Take a low chair, put a basin in front of you or any other container on the ground. Clamp the body at the knees so that the head hangs down.
Start with wing wings, pull them out with sharp movements. Further, with one hand holding the game by the paw, the other begin to pluck from the tail to the head. Take out the feathers one by one, in order, rather than randomly, otherwise the skin will be covered with small hard-to-remove feathers and down.
Following in-line plucking, it is convenient to disassemble the feathers for useful purposes: large ones will go for fishing, medium-sized will mainly be used as a filler, very small ones for toys and blankets.
Tail feathers should be left for a “snack”, it is convenient to hold a duck for them during the procedure.
Pull the feathers very carefully, so as not to damage the integrity of the carcass. If hemp has formed on the skin, remove them with a blunt knife or special tool.
Feathers on the head are usually ignored and thrown away with a severed head. In this place they are very tough and are not suitable for anything, except for handicrafts.
This procedure is not necessary in those cases if the hemp and a lot of fluff are left as a result of plucking. Carefully straighten the skin of the duck so that when burnt in the folds does not accumulate fumes. Light the burner and go around the fire on the entire surface of the carcass.
So that the carcass doesn’t smoke much, sprinkle the flour with the flour and chill before scorching, after the procedure the remnants are easily removed with a coarse sponge.
Then rinse the duck with warm water, remove all the entrails, divide and cook according to the chosen recipe.
To pluck a duck is not difficult at all, the main thing is to follow the tips listed above. When choosing a plucking method, you need to look at the situation. If it is possible to pluck a duck right after slaughter, use the dry method, if not, a wet one will be more suitable. You all come out necessarily! Good luck!