The diet of rabbits should be as complete as possible and contain all the necessary nutrients. If the ability to provide good nutrition is not available, a variety of feed and fish oil are added to the main meal. Below we will talk about whether it is possible to give fish oil to rabbits, how and in what quantities.
Give it with a lack of certain vitamins and nutrients. Often used with insufficient amounts of vitamin A and D. Some breeders are added to food on a mandatory basis. This is due to the positive effect on the health and well-being of animals in general. Often include in the diet of sucker and nursing rabbits in need of retinol. Newborn rabbits receive a substantial dose of nutrients along with their mother's milk.
Fish oil is unique in its composition, perfectly fills the deficiency of essential vitamins, amino acids. Purified fats, harvested from a different type of sea fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, tuna, liver of cod fish, etc., contain poly-saturated acids (omega 3,6), tocopherol, retinol (300 to 900 mg per 1 g) , vitamin D.
This is an important condition for maintaining the health of rabbits, because, for example, potassium-phosphorus metabolism is disturbed by vitamin D deficiency, bone fragility appears, and serious disease such as rickets can occur. It is also necessary to give fish oil in order to supplement the diet with microelements such as iodine, bromine, phosphorus, sulfur, which are absorbed with this product much better, faster, in full.
In addition, the fish product has a positive effect on the well-being of animals, because it contributes to:
1. Improving the elasticity of cell membranes.
2. Reducing cholesterol and lipoprotein levels.
3. Prevention of blood clots due to the normalization of blood clotting processes.
4. Accelerate the development and growth of rabbits.
5. Improving mineral metabolism.
6. Enhance immunoprotective properties.
There are recommendations of veterinary experts on the beneficial effects of fish oil on the gastrointestinal tract, as an antiallergic agent in elderly rabbits. It helps with chronic infectious inflammatory processes, as well as with dermatitis, eczema, burn lesions, frostbite externally, as a constituent ingredient of various ointments.
If there are not enough vitamins
Inexperienced livestock breeders are wondering - is it necessary to give vitamins and when? First of all, you need to carefully monitor the health of their pets. To determine which vitamin is in short supply, pay attention to the symptoms.
- Runny nose and dry eyes. Occur with a lack of retinol (vitamin A). Rabbits become lethargic, no longer feel the craving for the opposite sex.
- Bleeding gums, tooth loss, frequent colds. So the lack of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) appears. The immune system of the animal weakens, he often suffers from colds.
- Dystrophy, stillborn rabbits, death of a newborn okrol. Lack of vitamin E primarily affects the reproductive system of eared pets. It also affects the appearance of the animal - the wool becomes dull and brittle.
- Stunting, cramps, hair loss. This is how the lack of vitamins of group B, and which one, is difficult to determine. Shortage B1 beats on the cardiovascular system,2 - through the respiratory system. Vomiting, diarrhea and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, as a rule, indicate a small amount of B5. Anemia accompanies deficiency B12.
- Curvature of the paws, spine, awkward movements. Rickets is a consequence of a lack of vitamin D.
It is quite difficult to determine “by eye” what exactly the rabbit's body lacks. Symptoms can overlap, blur, and some diseases pass unnoticed at first. Therefore, experienced breeders annually provide vitamins to their wards for prevention, without waiting for the first alarm bell.
In winter, the main food of rabbits is hay. Dry grass is not able to provide the animals with everything they need, so it is necessary to enrich the eared rations in addition. And in the summer you should not keep the animals on the same grass. We need to take care of a varied and healthy menu that will help the rabbits to be fruitful and grow well.
- Vitamin A. The leader in its content is a truly rabbit vegetable - carrots, as well as green grass, fruits and other vegetables.
- Group B. Zaitseobrazny give in the form of legumes, potatoes or bran.
- Vitamin C. Parsley, both green and dried, will come to the rescue. However, it should be remembered that in the latter case, the content of ascorbic acid is lower.
- Vitamin E. Contained in wheat germ, corn kernels, green fodder.
- Vitamin K. Nettle, needles and crops will help to cope with its deficiency.
If the diet of rabbits is balanced, the use of pharmaceutical vitamins may not be necessary. Otherwise, you have to go to the "heavy artillery."
As a rule, manufacturers offer complex vitamins for rabbits. All components in them are selected in the required proportions. Drugs may be added to feed, water, or intramuscularly.
The drug is available in the form of a solution for oral administration. Consists of 30 components, including vitamins A, E, D3To3, AT1, AT2, AT6, AT12as well as amino acids. Breeders love it for its rich composition, but rabbits - not so much because of the characteristic unpleasant smell. To make the baby drink “Chiktonik”, 1 ml of the drug per 1 l of water is enough. Adult rabbits need to increase the dosage to 2 ml. The vitamin complex is produced in containers of 10 ml and 250 ml each, making it suitable for farmers and small household farms.
The drug contains only 3 components: vitamins A, E and D3. However, these components are often sufficient to prevent rickets, diseases of the liver and mucous membranes. The appearance is also improved - the fur of rabbits becomes thick and silky.
"Prodovit" is available in two versions: for oral administration and intramuscularly. Injections, as a rule, are made for medicinal purposes, when the body has already managed to suffer from the insidious disease. Rabbits need 0.4 ml of the drug 1 time per week.
For the prevention of more often choose a liquid for oral administration. In the feed add 2 drops of the drug 1 time in 2-3 weeks.
The drug contains vitamin E, as well as selenium that promotes its absorption. Appointed in violation of reproductive function, growth retardation and low weight gain, reduced immunity. The drug is available in the form of injections or drops for oral administration.
"E-selenium" is used for intramuscular use once and repeat the procedure 2-3 times in 7-10 days. The dosage is selected at the rate of 0.04 ml per 1 kg of live weight of the patient. Drops for ingestion added to the feed in an amount of 0.1 ml per 1 kg with the same frequency.
Rabbits lack not only vitamins, but also minerals. The lack of calcium and phosphorus worsens the condition of the teeth, hair and bones of animals. For the replacement of macronutrients use bone meal or ash, salt, chalk. So that the owners of animals themselves do not pick up the right proportions, manufacturers took care to release balanced mineral supplements.
Special stones include various minerals needed by rabbits.
- Chika Mineral Stone contains phosphorus and calcium, helping to keep bones healthy.
- "Carly", in addition to the above-mentioned macronutrients, contains vitamins B and E.
It is easy to use mineral stones - place or hang the block so that the rabbits can nibble it. Thus, they also sharpen their teeth. Yes, and not so boring to sit in a cage.
"Bio-iron" with macronutrients
Anemia primarily affects pregnant females. They will come to the aid of "Bio-iron" with macronutrients. Also, the drug contains iodine, which improves the functioning of the thyroid gland, and cobalt for better absorption of vitamins. The complex is given for 2-3 months, adding to feed or water. One rabbit needs 0.1 ml of solution per day.
Remember that a surplus of vitamins is just as harmful as their lack. The exact dosage according to the instructions is a guarantee of the health of your rabbits. It is not necessary to give several vitamin complexes at the same time, unless this is recommended by a veterinarian.
Giving vitamins to rabbits for prevention or not is up to you. With a balanced diet, the need for additional feeding may not arise. If the balance of vitamins in the diet of your wards you can not provide, you will have to ask for help from the vet pharmacy.