In terms of growth, the columnar apple Vasyugan refers to semi-dwarf, a tree grows in one trunk. The maximum height of an apple tree is 3 m, it reaches “Vasyugan” at the age of 6 - 8 years.
The krone is very compact, without side branches. Fruiting apple varieties "Vasyugan" focused on shortened internodes (kolchatkah), abundantly covering the trunk in the form of a column. Due to the complete absence of branches and due to the shortened internodes it seems that the fruits grow right on the trunk.
Apples grow of medium size, the average weight of one fruit is 100-150 g, but in some cases it can go up to 200 g. The shape is conical and elongated, the skin color is yellowish-green with a reddish striped blush. The flesh has a fine-grained structure and is colored in a white-cream tone. The taste is rich, sweet-sour, according to the tasting criteria, Vasyugan apples belong to the dessert type. The fruit is very fragrant.
The average yield of "Vasugan" is 5-6 kg from one tree, the maximum is 10 kg. The undeniable dignity of the columnar apple is its precocity. After landing on a permanent place, you can get the first fruits in the first year, in the future, the yield increases. Apple tree is able to effectively bear fruit for 15 years, after which the yield is significantly reduced. According to gardeners, it is necessary to plant new copies every 10 years to update the planting.
Rules for planting a columnar apple
It is possible to start planting seedlings of the columnar apple variety “Vasyugan” in the fall and spring. It is recommended to choose a sunny place, because in bright light the apples become tastier and acquire a special taste. However, it is best to avoid its location in the sun and drafts, as well as with groundwaters above 4 meters.
The best for planting are loamy and loamy-sandy loam soil types. The soil should be loose, with good permeability and aeration.
Pits for planting apple seedlings "Vasyugan" should be prepared in advance. Do this as follows:
- Dig a hole 50 cm wide and 80 cm deep. In this case, the upper layer lay in one direction, and the lower, less fertile - in another.
- The top layer of soil is mixed with wood ash, compost and superphosphate and lay the substrate in the prepared pit.
- Apple seedlings "Vasyugan" placed at a distance of 40 cm from each other, between the rows - 1 m.
The tree is planted together with a support-peg, to which it must be tied with a soft cloth. It is installed on the leeward side. This is done in order not to damage the bark. After planting, the seedling needs to be shed with plenty of water and mumbled with mowed grass.
Nuances of care for the columnar apple "Vasyugan"
In the first year after planting, the apple tree must be watered, loosened the soil in the tree circle and apply fertilizer. If it seldom rains during the season, then spend the wetting once a week in the evening. After watering or rain, it is recommended to break through the soil. Do this with care not to damage the roots.
The peculiarity of care for the variety "Vasyugan" is apple pruning. This procedure differs from the standard formative and sanitary pruning characteristic of ordinary varieties. Colony-shaped apple trees do not require lateral branches. They are cut in the spring of two buds. By the fall on this place there are several shoots growing up. They are also cut into two buds.
Apple tree seedlings Vasyugan, planted in the autumn, must be especially carefully prepared for the winter.
- Good to insulate.
- Protect from hares, mice and others.
- If a situation arises when a tree is bought in the fall, but weather conditions do not allow planting, it is necessary to prikopat it before the spring period in a dry place without drafts, to cover with special material or branches of conifers and snow.
Caring for a columnar apple variety Vasyugan is practically the same as caring for any other apple tree. but there are some special moments, namely:
- Mandatory feeding of trees several times per season. Top dressing Vasyugan apple is carried out with diluted manure or chicken manure, divorced one to thirty. Perhaps the use of saltpeter per dessert spoon per ten-liter bucket of water or urea.
- In August, it is necessary to remove about two-thirds of the leaf strip near the top four leaves, so the rate of aging of the apex will increase.
- Prophylactic treatment with special insect drugs is necessary.
- Watering should be abundant and regular, but stagnant water on the soil should be avoided.
- If during the winter period, some branches froze, they should be cut, and the cut point should be covered with garden pitch or diluted lime.
- Weeds around the apple tree need to weed.
- The columnar apple-tree Vasyugan stretches upward, therefore it is necessary at first to monitor the apical bud, preventing it from being injured.
- The harvest is standardized. If there is a large number of ovaries on a young apple tree, there is a great risk that many of them will not mature. That is why most of the ovaries should be removed, especially in the first year of growth, in which you can leave up to six ovaries, the second one is twice as large, and so on. How to understand that the number of ovaries was excessive? Very simple - look at the size of a ripe apple. If the fruit is too small, the conclusion about congestion follows, which means that next year a part of the ovaries will be removed.
- The apple tree Vasyugan fragile and small roots that are easy to hurt when loosening. To save the roots, you can hold tin, that is, planting the adjacent land with cereals that do not harm the growth of the tree. And you can just grind the ground.
To grow a good fruitful apple tree, it is necessary to protect it from insects and diseases. One of the biggest problems is the scab. Scab is a fungal disease and often appears in rainy summer. First, yellow spots appear on the leaves, which gradually become brown in color, after which the scab passes onto the fruit itself. Thus, the entire harvest of apples may disappear.
This disease will be easier to prevent than to cure. It is necessary in the spring to carry out the treatment of Bordeaux liquid. The treatment of an already infected tree is also carried out with the help of Bordeaux mixture, but more weakly diluted, so as not to “pump” the fruits with a harmful substance.
Prone to apple trees and attacked by harmful insects. (for example, moth, fruit moth, aphid and others). The only way to deal with them is treatment with ready-made insecticides, which destroy both adult individuals and their larvae. Processing takes place in the spring, before the apple tree begins to bloom. You can use drugs such as copper sulfate or colloidal sulfur. After the flowering period is over, the treatment is repeated for the complete destruction of pests. Used drugs Lepidocide, Chlorophos and the like.
It is necessary to control the concentration of drugs used, according to the instructions. If, after processing, the young leaves are curled or changed color, the concentration should be reduced.
Not every gardener can afford to plant ordinary apple varieties on a plot - someone has very little land, somewhere does not allow a harsh climate, but everyone wants to eat fresh apples from his garden. And in this case, help out columnar apple Vasyugan - compact, high-yielding, cold-resistant and not too whimsical. Even a very experienced gardener is quite capable of caring for her, and delicious fragrant apples will delight the whole family. That is why gardeners should pay attention to this variety and be sure to plant these apple trees on their site.
In our lane, not every apple tree can take root, let alone bear fruit. In order to avoid frostbite, I planted a Vasyugan apple-tree in a trench. The tree stuck well and the next year gave the first harvest. Delicious, sweet and sour apples are quite large. So far there are not many of them, but I look forward to the new harvest.
Apple Vasyugan in my area has been growing for 13 years. It's a pity, of course, that soon it will have to be uprooted, but for the time being I enjoy delicious and fragrant apples. They make a pleasant, refreshing juice. Apples are good both in jam, in compote, and in pies. Great variety for a small lot! This fall, I again want to buy and plant a new seedling of the Vasyugan variety. There is little need for landing, so there will be no problems with this.
Apple trees Vasyugan bought over the Internet. I was afraid that the roots of the tree would be dried up, but they were closed and fresh. Apple trees quickly settled down and the very next year the first apples appeared on them. I cut them off, I decided to give the tree time to strengthen. A year later I took about 2 kilograms of apples. Apples green-red color. The taste is sweet-sour and juicy. They are stored 25-35 days.