The first mention of an amazing breed falls on the 16th century. To date, the first characteristic of the subspecies from Flanders has been preserved. Ears with silvery dense skins were described. The animals had large dimensions, in weight reached 5-6 kg. The original name of the rabbits: Belgian giant. At the end of the 19th century, animals were brought to Germany. Thanks to the breeding work, its own genetic line of ears was developed. German scientists have focused on the flesh and body weight of animals. A new subspecies with the German name "Deutsche-Riesen" was registered in 1937.
How to choose good individuals
- It is necessary to choose kids from spring okrolov. Preferred months: February-March. During this period, the young get the best nutrition.
- The required age for purchase: 3-4 months. At this time, you can weed out defective and unhealthy animals by physical indicators.
Principles of content
Many breeders refuse to keep this subspecies for several reasons:
- Cages, pens or aviaries occupy a large space,
- For full-grown cultivation, you need a lot of feed.
- Animals of this subspecies are prone to obesity,
- Despite the high fecundity, the interval between acrol should be at least 8 months.
Rabbits of breed Rizen are very thermophilic. Because of this, the growing room or the place for erecting the cells is recommended to choose the east or south direction. The cages in which ears will live should be made 3-4 meters wider. So giants will have space for free movement. The floor can be mesh or horizontally flat. The bonding places should be covered with a heavy reasonable carpet or a durable plastic flooring. Sawdust, straw, or coarse sea sand are poured on top. Such materials will help not to hurt the eared paws. Also scattered hay in the corners. It is necessary that the giant used it as a litter. Troughs are nailed around the edges of the cage.
Watch a video with an example of a room for keeping Rizens.
If you believe the sources, the roots of the breed originate from the 16th century. The ancestor of the modern animal breed Risen is the Flandre - Belgian giant. The first descriptions were discovered in Flanders, and the name appeared here.
Representatives of this breed were taken as the basis for breeding a new species. Their weight was about 5-6 kilograms. They were also endowed with large ears and a silvery skin with a dense structure.
Flandre rabbits were introduced into Germany at the end of the 19th century. In this place, the German experts conducted the breeding of a new breed, Rizen. Its main distinctive quality is in large dimensions. If the ancestor weighed about 5-6 kilograms, then the bred individuals, on average, can be 10-11 kilograms. And sometimes there can be large representatives weighing almost 14 kilograms.
During the breeding, the Germans focused on the weight and meatiness of the animal. In 1937, the breed was officially registered. It received the name "Deutsche-Riesen", which means German giant.
Features care and maintenance
Rabbits of the Rizen breed are often bred for meat. The fact is that they have good fertility, so they quickly pay for themselves and in a few months can bring the first profit. But in order for them to always be healthy, it is worthwhile to foresee everything necessary for their full living and breeding.
Conditions of detention
For many rabbit breeders, animals of the Risen breed are not a feasible burden, and they refuse to breed these representatives. This is due to some important reasons:
- cages, pens, aviaries occupy a large area,
- for the rabbits to grow quickly and fully develop, they need an enhanced diet, which includes a large amount of feed,
- many animals of this breed are prone to obesity,
- despite the fact that they have good fertility, the gap between the acroli should be at least 8 months.
Features of cell arrangement
Growing healthy individuals should be carried out in spacious cages. At the same time they require regular care in compliance with all necessary sanitary standards.
The main requirements for maintenance and cultivation include the following:
- the length of the cells should be at least 110 cm, they should be 70 cm wide, and 50-70 cm high,
- Many experienced breeders advise keeping animals in a large rabbit base. In aviaries they can move better, it will positively affect the quality of meat, there will be much less body fat in it,
- Cells should be facing south or southeast. This will keep the rabbit warm in winter. But it should be remembered that the room must be carefully ventilated.
Important! Rabbit hard tolerates ammonia smell. For this reason, it is required to carry out a thorough cleaning of the cage every day, at which the litter changes and full disinfection is done. Indoors should not stagnate air, ventilation is required.
There are other important recommendations that also need to be followed:
- water is required every day to replace water,
- the fixing of the drinker should be carried out so that the animal does not overturn the tank,
- no need to leave contaminated water, it can cause a problem with the rabbit's belly,
- after the rabbit is turned around, the water should be changed more often,
- for large representatives, the mesh floor in the cage will be uncomfortable. If the bottom is made of mesh, then it should be covered with a soft rubber mat. For the substrate, you can use sawdust and hay,
- Rabbits of the Rizen breed are rather difficult to tolerate elevated temperatures, which can reach more than +45 degrees. In the summer, animals are recommended to be transferred under the sheds,
- if there is intense heat outside, then a cell or aviary needs to be cooled,
- To lower the temperature, you can arrange containers with frozen water in the cage.
In order for rabbits to always feel good and fully developed, it is imperative that they be provided with the right diet with all the necessary nutrients and vitamins.
For the breeding of rabbits of the Rizen breed to be fruitful, each rabbit breeder must memorize important nutritional recommendations:
- in the summer in the diet of the rabbit should be in a large number of herbal feed,
- before you give the grass fresh, it requires a little dry and dry up,
- if animals are given grass in damp or rotted condition, it can provoke bloating in them,
- To prevent the signs of bloating in rabbits, “Biomitsin” is mixed in the feed,
- Additionally, to strengthen the immune system, improve the activity of the internal organs, the animal is recommended to give a fortified mixture, which is done this way - 2 buckets of mash, 2 teaspoons of the Biomitsin preparation, 3 teaspoons of salt, 2 spoons of bone meal,
- in addition, pets are fed with twigs, coniferous bark,
- The menu can include fresh vegetables and fruits. Rabbits especially love carrots, potatoes, apples,
- from grass food you can give sedge and dandelions,
- in winter, rabbits can be given hay, beans, rye, corn, grain. Also the menu is complemented by vegetables and fruits,
- In addition, to increase the immune system, vitamin supplements are added to the feed, and mixed feeds are given.
Learn more about how and how to feed rabbits.
If you keep all important recommendations in keeping Rizen rabbits, you can grow large and strong offspring, which will delight you with good offspring for a long time. The main thing is to learn all the important features and characteristics of these animals.