Wallis's Spathiphyllum is a popular home dweller. Based on this species, breeders have developed many other popular varieties, for example, the well-known Picasso or Domino. The flower deservedly bears the second name “female happiness”, in the people it is believed that it gives its owner happiness in his personal life. There is even a description of happy stories that say that the spathiphyllum has a positive effect on women, helping them to get pregnant, easy to bear and give birth to a child.
A representative of the family of Aroids refers to plants-perennials. Spathiphyllum Wallisii is widely distributed in the wet forests of America and the tropics of Southeast Asia. An adult plant with an average height of about 45 centimeters.
The spinnillum cannofolia has oval or lanceolate leaves of dark green shades. It looks spectacular due to the visual absence of the stem part. The leaves rush up straight from the rhizome to form a lush bunch, and the flower is located on a long arrow and resembles a corncob of yellow color, wrapped in a white blanket or sail. Due to this bloom has the tacit name "flank bearer".
Flowering begins in plants that have reached six months of age. Flowers are formed from early spring until the end of a warm autumn. One flower can "live life" up to two months.
Conditions for growing a home flower should be brought closer to a humid tropical climate. Wallis's Spathiphyllum will feel great on the windowsill in a well-ventilated room without direct drafts. Draft provokes wilting, drying and violation of the root system of the indoor flower.
Humidity and temperature
In order for Wallis's spathiphyllum to develop without delay, temperature indices below 16 degrees cannot be allowed. The temperature of the plant is comfortable for the plant from 19 to 22 degrees in the winter season and 20–27 degrees heat in summer.
Weekly spraying or wiping with a soft cloth normalizes the optimum moisture balance. For constant maintenance of the required level of humidity, expanded clay is placed in a pot stand and water is poured. As a conductor material, you can take moss or any porous material. In winter, it is worthwhile to pay more attention to the humidity in the room, since during the heating season it decreases by 10–20%. Therefore, winter spraying should be done daily.
Attention: you only need to spray the leaves without hitting the blooming bud. Water ingress on the spathiphyllum bud will lead to the loss of its decorative qualities.
Another interesting way to increase the humidity in the room and at the same time decorate the interior is to place a room fountain next to Spathiphyllum Wallisii.
In his homeland, Wallis's spathiphyllum dwells in the shade under tall trees and shrubs, so the sun's rays do not reach him. Therefore, at home it is enough to provide him with diffused light and the absence of scorching sunlight. You can place the pot on the north window or to the west-east direction, where the sun only rises or sets. A shelving or coffee table is also suitable as the habitat of the Wallis spathiphyllum. Additional lighting can be created artificially with the help of lamps.
Tip: in summer, the air bath will benefit the flower. To do this, it is recommended to take the plant out of the room to the balcony, loggia or home garden, while placing the pot must be strictly in partial shade.
The spathiphyllum will respond to the lack of lighting with small and narrow foliage, large, wide leaves indicate that the plant is contained in the right conditions.
Care for the Wallis Spathiphyllum
For Wallis's spathiphyllum, as well as for his fellows, it is not difficult to care for. Care at home does not take a lot of time and effort.
Watering is one of the most important components of the home care complex for a houseplant. For watering takes room water, which stood quietly during the day. Watering should be plentiful. A sign of proper and sufficient watering, when water pours out through holes in the pot. This indicates that the entire soil was saturated with the necessary moisture. After 10–15 minutes, excess water is drained from the stand. You should not turn the soil into a swamp, before the next watering it should dry on 1/3.
Warning: if the plant blooms - it needs more moisture.
In the cold frosty season, watering is halved so as not to harm the root system.
Wallis's Spathiphyllum refers to lovers of dressings. Both mineral and organic compounds will benefit. During the period from mid-February to October, the vegetation of the plant increases and it needs weekly supplements. The rest of the time the spathiphyllum is at rest, you can feed it only once a month.
The tight growing capacity strongly inhibits the growth of the plant, so the Wallis spathiphyllum transplant is carried out in the spring once a year.
Warning: too wide a capacity inhibits flowering plants. Choosing a new pot, you should focus on the fact that it was wider than the previous centimeter by 2 (maximum - 3). When transplanting, it is not necessary to shake off the entire earth from the plant, you can leave the root system in its natural form, with the amount of earth it has taken on itself, and transplant it into the prepared fresh planting mixture. After 3 years, the Wallis Spathiphyllum can be replanted every four years.
An adult plant needs an update of 3-4 centimeters of soil every year.
Features and possible difficulties
Improper care can lead to some difficulties in the process of growing Wallis's spathiphyllum.
The most common problems are:
- Yellowing of the tips of the leaves. This sign can be a signal of hard water used for watering.
- Yellowing of leaves and shoots. The plant lacks water and moisture. You can arrange him a "bath day" once a week. Water should be 20-22 degrees.
- Formation of brown spots on foliage. This suggests too frequent feeding spathiphyllum and the need to reduce the dose.
- Drying leaves. In this case, you need to pay attention to the lack of humidity in the room.
- Blackening of the tips of the leaves. Wrong watering or lack of minerals.
Wallis Spathiphyllum and care for him:
02-25-2018 admin Comments No comments
Spathiphyllum, home care for which, contrary to the opinion of many beginning flower growers, is relatively easy, the plant is not demanding, but it is not easy for beginning flower growers to bloom, and often many face the fact that the leaves dry and turn black, wither, therefore you need to know how to prune the plant, what to feed, when to replant, and many other subtleties ...
Spathiphyllum - home care, especially growing
It is believed that Spathiphyllum brings happiness to women and purifies the air in the premises from the admixture of carcinogens, saturates the atmosphere with oxygen ions, and that is why many try to settle it in residential areas where people are often located.
In nature, the spathiphyllum grows under a forest canopy — for its normal existence at home in summer it needs shade, and the bright light in summer is the most common reason for the drying of the leaf plates of a flower. In the light of a tropical guest called spathiphyllum, the disease is much more threatened than in the shadows.
You should not allow air stagnation in the room where the pot for spathiphyllum is installed - it is recommended to regularly ventilate the room or take the flower out to the open air and put it in the shade. In winter, the Spathiphyllum care at home requires a different one - it needs light, but is afraid of cold air flows, therefore it is recommended to install it on the south windows, and when airing the rooms, take it to another room. The main thing is that the flower does not fall under the draft.
Spathiphyllum home - on photo
The soil for the spathiphyllum should resemble the forest floor, the standard purchased ground for the spathiphyllum is not suitable, since for the normal growth of the plant you need light ground, you can cook it at home from the following components:
- Humus sheet,
- Humus dung,
- Coarse sand.
These ingredients are recommended to be taken in equal parts, and then charcoal crushed into pieces with a diameter of 2-3 cm is added to the mixture. Such a soil is the best fertilizer for spathiphyllum, providing it with basic nutrients, in it the roots of a flower feel comfortable, do not suffer from an excess of moisture and lack of air.
The most common reason why spathiphyllum fades after transplantation or turns black, rots and does not grow, is too dense soil, and even with good care and proper fertilization, it is unlikely to save such a plant without transplanting into loose nutrient soil.
How to water and how to feed spathiphyllum
The main problem in the cultivation of exotic spathiphyllum - care at home, as for other indoor cultures. Unlike decorative-deciduous and beautifully flowering crops with sprawling large leaves, the spathiphyllum reacts negatively to waterlogging, it needs to be watered at a time when the spathiphyllum does not pick up the leaves, pour the water better along the edge of the pot until the droplets protrude from the drainage holes.
In winter, spatiphyllum need to be watered even more rarely, after the coma of earth in the pot has completely dried out - it is advisable to pour water into the pan in order not to over-wet the soil, as it is very difficult to save the spathiphyllum from overflowing, it will have to be transplanted into fresh soil, after cutting the rotten roots and processing them special means.
Spathiphyllum is much more favorable to water falling on the leaves - when kept at home it is recommended to spray it daily at any time of the year, and during the summer heat an abundant shower is used. To prevent moisture from entering the soil, put the pot in a tight plastic bag, tie it up and then wash the flower with jets of cool water. If the flower feminine feminine happiness (dry leaves and flowers without blackening), to combat this phenomenon you need a decrease in light and abundant spraying.
In winter, the Spathiphyllum is in a state of active growth, after which abundant flowering begins. The decorative qualities of the flower depend on how right it is to take care of him at home - during this period he needs regular watering, and fertilizing should be abandoned until the arrows with flowers appear.
Sometimes the only solution to the problem of how to make a spathiphyllum blossom is to apply weekly fertilizer for it, but only from March to September. Such stimulation of spathiphyllum bloom works in 99% of cases. The main question of those who just started a flower is female happiness - how to feed it?
The first thing to remember is that the spathiphyllum does not like organic matter, the only thing that allows the spathiphyllum plant to take care at home is an extract from rotted manure; it should be added after watering 30-50 ml per pot. Complex mineral fertilizers have the best effect:
- Kemira Lux (use according to package instructions),
- Uniflor Growth (use according to instructions in the period of active growth of leaves),
- Garden of Miracles for Saintpaulia (dilute 2 caps per 1 liter of water).
It is recommended to feed up a spathiphyllum in the summer once a week, and in the winter top-dressings are made no more than once a month, and only in a half dose.
What suffers spathiphyllum - diseases and pests, combating them
What signs indicate that female happiness is ill with a flower — leaves and flowers turn black, leaves dry, leaves fade and lose their healthy color. All these phenomena are due to several violations in the care of the plant:
- Excessive watering - in favor of this reason shows a greenish bloom on the soil surface, mold, and if you dig a flower, its roots will be rotted at the ends. The situation can be rectified only by transplanting into fresh soil with preliminary pruning of damaged roots, it is recommended to sprinkle cuts with crushed coal or smear it with brilliant green,
- The application of large doses of fertilizers - such an error in care leads to the burning of the roots, and when extracted from the soil they are visible dark spots that are located along their entire length, often covering only one side of them. Measures to combat this problem - transplanting spathiphyllum and pruning damaged roots,
- Nutrient deficiencies - improper care at home and lack of supplements also lead to dry leaves, but the roots remain completely healthy. Transplanting such spathiphyllums is not needed, - you can get rid of the drying of sheet plates by normalizing watering and fertilizing.
Another misfortune that awaits Spathiphyllum, home care for which does not contradict the rules described, is pests. On the leaves can be found colonies of spider mites or shield aphids - the first ones are identified by a thin spider web on the wrong side of the leaves, the second - by dark spots on the surface of the leaf plates. You can eliminate these pests with Actellic (according to the instructions) or with a solution of soap and tobacco dust.
Care spathiphyllum at home is not difficult, and for a grower the main thing - do not overdo it with watering and dressing. With careful attention, the plant will please with long flowering, and will help clean the air in the room from harmful impurities.
Spathiphyllum or "woman's happiness" - a popular houseplant of the Aroid family.
Under natural conditions, it grows in equatorial South America and the Philippines.
This flower has received its name for the unusual shape of a bract leaf - a veil that envelops the inflorescence-spadix.
In addition to its decorative purpose spathiphyllum has useful properties:
• Absorbs harmful substances from the room air such as carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, benzene, trichlorethylene, xylene,
• Moisturizes the air, saturates it with ions and phytoncides that inhibit the growth of mold fungi.
Currently, there are about 50 species of spathiphyllum, of which for growing under ambient conditions are the following:
• Blooming (Sp. Floribundum) - grows up to 40 cm in size. The ear has a cream color, the cover is white at the beginning of flowering and turns green at the end. It blooms long and abundantly with proper care.
• Cranifolia (Sp. Cannifolium) acquired its name for the similarity of its leaves with canna leaves. Flowers exude a delicate scent.
• Wallis (Sp.Wallisii) - A small plant up to 30 centimeters high comes from the Colombian rainforests. The leaves are dark green in color, oblong. White cover is three times longer than the cob. Abundant blooms for a long time. Enough shade-tolerant and unpretentious in content. On the basis of this species, as a result of selective work, many varieties were bred (for example, Picasso, Domino).
• Helicious - srednerosly view (grows up to 1 m in height). Dark green leaves have wavy edges and glossy shine. The oval cover is twice as long as the cob.
• Adorable (Sp. blandum schott)
blandum schott)- the plant has leaves elongated with elongated tips. A greenish-white bedspread in shape is similar to the box. From here the flower received the second name "flagolite". Blooms with a large number of flowers.
On the basis of the listed species, various varieties were bred. Among them are both giants (Sensation, Figaro, Pablo) and dwarfs (Mini). Hybrids are hardier, bloom longer and more abundantly.
The following varieties of spathiphyllum are most popular in indoor floriculture:
• Mauna loa - widely cultivated hybrid with long (more than 70 cm) wide leaves of dark green color,
• Domino - different colored leaves: white stripes and strokes on a green background. The size of the plant is up to half a meter tall. The ear can be white or beige. The white veil near the end of the bloom turns green. The variety is bred when Wallis's spathiphyllum is selected, easy to grow at home,
• Chopin - a beautiful variety that has received international recognition. Relatively low plant (up to 35 cm tall). Pour the rich green color with depressed veins. It is undemanding in leaving. When flowering produces a pleasant aroma,
• Cait - Dutch variety bred on the basis of the Wallis species. It has motley yellow-green leaves. Height is about 50-70 cm,
• Picasso - a variety with a bright color: white stripes on a dark green background, some leaves are completely white. It multiplies quickly and easily, unpretentious care,
• Sensation - variety- "giant" of the Dutch selection (grows up to one and a half meters high).
The leaves are dark green ribbed with a length of 70-90 cm and a width of 30-40 cm. Shade-tolerant, fits well in the interior of office space.
Spathiphyllum: home care - breeding, transplanting
Propagate spathiphyllum dividing the bush. It is convenient to do this with a spring transplant. 2-3 sheets should be left on each separated part. Such delenki planted in a special substrate for aroid, purchased or cooked alone.
В качестве компонентов берут перегной, торф, дерновую или листовую землю, песок или перлит примерно в равных частях. Если используется универсальный грунт, то в него добавляют древесный уголь, кокосовое волокно.
If the division of the spatiphillum rhizomes turned out delenki without roots, then they are rooted in the sand or perlite. It is advisable to put the pots with such cuttings in the greenhouse or cover with a package to create high humidity. They are periodically ventilated and moistened. After rooting, they are transplanted into separate pots with the prepared substrate.
Spathiphyllum transplanted as they grow: young plants annually, and adults every 3-5 years. Between transplants in large specimens, the upper layer of soil is updated annually. The transshipment is carried out in the spring, trying not to damage the roots. A new pot is selected so that it is only a couple of centimeters larger than the previous one. Too much capacity will slow down the flowering time. A drainage layer is required at the bottom of the pots - the spathiphyllum does not like stagnant moisture.
Spathiphyllum's roots covered the whole earthen room - transfer into a new pot is necessary
In the case of resuscitation of diseased plants (due to improper care), a transplant is carried out with a complete replacement of the soil. To do this, the roots are freed from the old earth (which is soaked in a basin of water) and examined for the presence of rot.
Spathiphyllum home care - soil, lighting, conditions for flowering
Spathiphyllum as a native of the tropics loves diffused light. In the full shadow of its leaves becomes dark green in color, the plant ceases to bloom. Direct insolation causes burns on the leaves. If it is not possible to rearrange the plant from the southern sill, it is necessary to provide shading from the midday sun.
Air temperature and humidity
Female happiness is a heat-loving plant, but does not tolerate extreme heat.
The optimum temperature for it in spring and summer will be + 22-24 ° C, and in winter - no less than + 16 ° C. Air humidity is not unimportant indicator for the health of spathiphyllum. As a native of the tropics, it needs high humidity. In room conditions it is often necessary to spray it, put on a tray with wet pebbles or expanded clay, arrange a warm shower. If feminine flowers bloom, then in water procedures it is important not to get water droplets on the flowers.
Spathiphyllum grows well on fertile, loose soil with a slightly acid or neutral reaction (pH 5-6). On sale are ready-made mixes for Aroid. The substrate can be made independently by mixing in equal parts turf soil with leaf humus and adding peat and sand to them for looseness.
Conditions for flowering
In order for the spathiphyllum to begin to bloom, the following conditions must be met:
• Age: do not wait for flowering from a young plant,
• A properly sized pot should be a bit cramped. If the plant is planted in a spacious pot, the flowering will have to wait until the roots fill the whole earthen room,
• Low air temperature
• Insufficient humidity in the room,
• Lack of nutrients - the plant looks depressed, the leaves are small and yellow. It happens the other way around, a spathiphyllum builds up an abundant deciduous mass - “fats”,
Wallis's Spathiphyllum is a densely growing exotic plant, with lush, leathery leaves that are attached to long petioles. Foliage lanceolate, with wavy edges, intensely green. In the center of the leaf passes the middle vein. The lateral veins are as if pressed into the leaf plate, which gives a folded appearance. Sheet size 25x6cm (length and width respectively).
Cutting height 20cm. The height of this species is about 20-30 cm. The plant has no stem, the leaves grow from the rosette. Rhizome short.
Flowers are small, gathered in a flask-shaped inflorescence of white color. Around the cob of flowers there is a narrow snow-white veil, which at the end of flowering turns green. The length of the inflorescence is 3 cm, the cover is approximately 9-10 cm.
What are the differences from other species?
Spathiphyllum Wallis was named after the discoverer G. Wallis. This species is the most common variety today. It differs from other species in small dimensions, which is most suitable for growing in apartment conditions. As for the care, it is not picky, it is similar to the other varieties of spathiphyllum.
Podort and their photos
The Wallis flower includes 40 varieties that are also in demand, and here are some of them:
Differs in compact sizes up to 30 cm.
The variety has a decent length blanket.
The shrub is not large, stands out for narrow lanceolate leaves.
There is a rather extended bedspread.
The variety has been bred recently, depending on the light, the color of the leaves can be monophonic or motley.
Differs in round foliage of medium size, suitable for small rooms.
An interesting look, which has large, dark green leaves and a pleasant, delicate aroma of inflorescences.
The inflorescences of tropical perennial peculiar. Many gardeners they like. There comes a period of flowering at an early age of about 1.5 years. This process begins at the end of March and lasts until September.
Before flowering, it is desirable to fertilize with preparations containing potassium and phosphorus. It is these minerals that are responsible for the lush and long budding process. Also support normal immunity, enhancing its protective function. But during the flowering itself, it is better not to use drugs. Restore top dressing is recommended at the end of the flower period.
If the long-awaited bloom does not come, the plant needs to be stimulated. To do this, change the temperature in the room, or take out to another room with a temperature of + 16-18 ° C, not lower. Reduce the frequency of irrigation, the soil in the pot should be completely dry. After a few days, the spathiphyllum is returned to its place. You can also use drugs to stimulate flowering "Bud" or "Domotsvet".
In the process of growing room exotic does not require special conditions, but there are recommendations for the care of the full development and lush flowering.
- Put the pot in a well-lit place.
- It is advisable to choose window sills from the west or east side.
- The optimum temperature of the room in which the plant is located is + 22-25 ° С, maximum + 30 ° С and minimum + 16С °.
- Temperatures below + 10 ° C are critical.
- Spathiphyllum humidity prefers elevated, approximately 50-60%.
- Spraying is desirable to make 2-3 times a day.
- You can put pallets with wet clay, sand, or use a household humidifier.
- Spathiphyllum soil needed lightweight, breathable. Its main components:
- leaf earth
- expanded clay granules,
- sphagnum moss,
- fern roots,
- mineral disintegrators.
- It is possible to use ready soil mixture for Aroids.
- Update the land is recommended every 2-3 years.
- New pot for spathiphyllum need to buy 2-3 cm more than the previous one.
- Watering in the spring and summer season should be daily.
- In the autumn-winter period, the amount of moisture should be reduced, in the period of sleep up to 1 time in 7-10 days.
- Use water without salt admixture.
- Be sure to fertilize the flower year-round, exclude only the period of rest.
- To make complex mineral fertilizers 2-3 times a month. Before flowering, it is better to use drugs with a high content of phosphorus and potassium.
How to multiply?
The easiest and most reliable method of reproduction of this type of potted flowers is the method of division of rhizomes and this is what you need:
- Remove the plant from the pot.
- Clean the root system from the ground.
- With a sharp knife, cut the root ball, separating the tops, it is important not to damage the rhizomes.
- Individual plants should be planted in new pots:
- the desired size of the tank is about 9-10 cm in diameter,
- the ground should be chosen suitable for the Aroid,
- bottom necessarily lay out expanded clay or other drainage.
Diseases and pests
Flowers of the Spathiphyllum family are quite resistant to various diseases and pests, but can still be affected by pests:
- ticks that love dry air,
- worms, from them the plant fades and disappears,
It often happens that as a result of improper care and improper maintenance parameters, the plant starts to hurt.
- Low humidity - dry or dark tips, yellowing leaf.
- Wrong place - the plant turns yellow, dries, there is no flowering, minimal growth.
- Hypothermia - disease of roots, wilting of foliage.
- Excess fluid - blacken, turn yellow all the organs of the plant, rotting roots.
- Lack of moisture - sluggish leaves, dry roots, yellow flowers.
- Unsuitable capacity - Exot does not grow, does not bloom.
- Wrong power mode - black tips, no buds, dry leaf plate.
To avoid such problems, general hygiene measures should be followed.
- To prevent the risk of contamination of the soil and eliminate salt deposits, periodically scrape the white deposit from the soil surface, the top layer can be replaced with new earth.
- If you prepare the soil yourself, all components must be disinfected.
- Always wash off the dust from the leaves, water the plant with a warm shower.
- Inspect for the presence of harmful insects.
- For irrigation, use clean, separated, soft water without impurities, preferably at room temperature.
- Water temperature should be + 30-40 ° С.
- Control the amount of water poured into the pot. Water should not linger long on the surface of the ground.
- After 15 minutes after moistening, drain the water from the flowerpot tray.
- Identify the plant on a bright place. In the summer it is better to choose a penumbra, or shade bright rays.
- In winter, keep away from heating devices, and in summer from air conditioning.
- Feed periodically exot complex mineral fertilizers year-round.
- Do not replant during flowering.
- Dry leaves and flowers to cut.
Regardless of the whimsical flower in the care or not, it still needs attention. The slightest change in growing conditions will affect the health and appearance of the spathiphyllum. So take care and take care of your favorite plants, and may they be rewarded for this with the beautiful beauty of flowering.
History and description of the plant
Charming and gentle, this is exactly how I want to describe this modest, at first glance, flower. Spathiphyllum is one of the best-selling plants. It does not matter, the holiday calendar or weekdays, the plant does not stay in the flower shop.
Elegant Spathiphyllum never lingers in a flower shop
The plant was first described in the 19th century. But widespread as a houseplant received in the 60s of the last century.
In nature, Spathiphyllum prefers to settle in wet and warm places. Wild specimens are found in the marshland, along the banks of rivers and streams. Areas of distribution are territories from Central to South America and Old World Islands - New Guinea, Sulawesi, the Philippines, Palau, the Moluccas and the Solomon Islands.
Spathiphyllum prefers wet and warm places for settlement.
Spathiphyllum is a very attractive perennial evergreen. In nature, as a rule, is represented by terrestrial species, but epiphytes are also found. The plant has a short rhizome, but there is no stem - its long petioles begin to grow vertically straight from the ground level and are crowned with glossy leaves of a rich green color. The lamina is solid, oval or lanceolate with a pointed tip. The surface is decorated with a clear relief of the veins - well-distinguishable central, and running parallel to it from the side.
The plant, depending on the species, has different heights. There are very tiny specimens that grow a little over 20 cm. And there are giants altogether - their height exceeds the meter bar.
For landscaping the interior, you can purchase small or large spathiphyllums, the species diversity allows
Numerous pedicels grow in length from the scape, or slightly higher. The inflorescences consist of a cob of yellow or milky color and a white blanket growing at the base of the cob. The cover resembles an elongated ellipse; it grows longer than the cob. Toward the end of the flowering process, the white blanket begins to change its color and becomes green.
The name of the plant belonging to the Aroid family is literally translated as “veil” and “leaf”, which is confirmed by the appearance of the flower.
Why is the plant called "female happiness"?
Spathiphyllum has several names - the white sail, the female flower or the lily of the world. But it was precisely “female happiness” that was firmly fixed in everyday life. It is believed that this delicate flower is endowed with great magic power. For the attention to itself, the flower will thank the hostess. He brings her joy, happiness and emotional balance, heightens self-esteem and strengthens her health, she finds harmony not only with herself, but also with the world around her.
Spathiphyllum is called "women's happiness", because the plant thanks its owner for taking care of these values.
Few will take on spathiphyllum
- if you give this plant to a lonely woman, then sincere love will not take long to wait,
- if a woman is childless, the spathiphyllum will help to find the happiness of motherhood,
- for a couple the plant will bring harmony in relationships,
- If you give a flower to a stranger, happiness will leave your home.
In order to double the positive effect of spathiphyllum, one more happiness must be purchased for him - a man, that is, an anthurium. Growing and abundantly flowering plants - an indicator of ideal and harmonious relationships in the family.
In order for the positive effect of the spathyphilum to acquire double strength, you need to buy an anthurium as a pair.
Spathiphyllum species used in home cultivation
Spathiphyllum genus includes about 50 species. But in the indoor floriculture, not all species are represented, but only the most adapted to domestic conditions. In addition, there are many hybrid forms, obtained by the efforts of breeders.
- Spathiphyllum of Wallis. Bearing the name of its discoverer, this species is considered the most unpretentious, and therefore - very popular. The size of the bush will perfectly fit even into small rooms - the height of the plant is only 20-30 cm. The color range of oblong lanceolate leaves varies from emerald green at a young age to dark green in adult plants. The ear is small, white. It is surrounded by a white blanket, which over time can turn green. Differs in abundant flowering, which lasts from spring to autumn.
- Spathiphyllum is spoon-shaped. The plant is tall - up to 1 m in height. The leaves are glossy, dark green, slightly wavy at the edges. The scape is long - up to 70 cm. The inflorescence is in the form of a white cob, surrounded by a long veil of elongated oval shape.
- Spathiphyllum is blooming. In popularity is not inferior to Wallace due to the long flowering period. The leaves are oblong-oval, initially light green and then acquiring a more saturated color. Flowers small size, white. Plant height reaches 50 cm. Based on the species, several hybrids are bred, one of which is the popular Mauna Loa.
- Spathiphyllum Sensation. The largest representative of the genus. With proper care grows 1.5 meter giant. The leaves are large - up to 90 cm long, 30 - 40 cm wide, dark green. The surface has a pronounced ribbing. Large inflorescences - almost 50 cm.
- Spathiphyllum of Alan. Glossy, dense, dark green leaves form a plant 50 cm high. The peculiarity of this species is the vertical growth of petioles, which practically do not deviate to the side, like in other species.
Spathiphyllum home care - feeding and watering
Spathiphyllum can be safely called a water-drinker - he likes to drink some water. The most abundant watering he needs in the period of active growing season and flowering. Topsoil should dry out between waterings. However, it is important not to flood the plant and not to overdry the earthy earth. Water for irrigation should be used separated (at least 12 hours) and warm, and better filtered.
From March to September, the spathiphyllum is fed with a complex mineral fertilizer for flowering plants. It is good to alternate with the introduction of organic fertilizers. All dressings are done only after abundant watering. Excess nutrition is manifested by brown spots on the leaves.
Variegated representatives of the genus
The variegated representatives of the genus Spathiphyllum are good because it is impossible to meet plants with the same leaf color.
Spathiphyllum Picasso. His bright green foliage, on which white strokes are clearly visible, as if left by the artist's brush, causes enthusiastic cheers. In height unpretentious plant grows up to 50 cm.
Spathiphyllum Picasso due to its unusual coloring is a unique look.
Spathiphyllum Domino. Highly ornamental plant, height 50 - 60 cm. Dense green leaves are covered with numerous white strokes. The inflorescence consists of a white-yellow or slightly greenish cob, wrapped with a white blanket. By the way, the plant is quite rare in flower shops, although it is difficult to call it difficult to care.
Spathiphyllum Domino will delight any esthete
Spathiphyllum at home: why does he die?
When growing spathiphyllum in room conditions, it affects such pests as паутинный клещ, мучнистый червец, тля, щитовка. Эти насекомые являются переносчиками различных вирусов, грибковых заболеваний.On the "sugary" discharge of aphids often settles black fungus - leaves are covered with black velvety bloom. The fight against the "bloodsuckers" of the plant can be started by folk remedies, for example, wash insects with soapy water, tincture of tobacco leaves, citrus peels or onion peels, alcohol. In the case of a massive defeat of spathiphyllum against pests, spraying with insecticides (Aktara, Fitoverm, green soap, Bona Forte Bio-insecticide) and acaricides (Aktellik, Fufanon, Sunmite, Flowmate) is used.
At low humidity in the room the tips of the leaves of spathiphyllum dry. This is especially evident in the heating season. To increase the humidity, a complex of measures is carried out: frequent spraying, a pot with a flower is placed in a pan with moist expanded clay or moss, including a humidifier.
Yellow-brown spots on the leaves - it is sunburn The plant must be rearranged in partial shade. The sills of eastern and western directions are best suited. If the windows face south, then in order to reduce the intensity of illumination, the plant should be placed deep into the room or pritenite.
If the edges of the leaves turn black, dry, then this indicates a waterlogging of the soil or a deficiency of mineral substances (nitrogen, phosphorus).
With insufficient watering at the spathiphyllum, the leaves turn yellow. If only their tips turn yellow, this is a signal that irrigation water contains a lot of hardness salts. Use filtered or boiled water.
Young leaves do not fully unfold? The reason for this is too dense soil, preventing the full development of the root system. In this case, the plant must be transplanted into a loose substrate for aroid.
If the white veil quickly turns green (much earlier than its physiological maturity), this indicates a high concentration of nitrogen in the soil. The same phenomenon can be, if the plant is hot.
If all the leaves have drastically sagged, then several reasons are possible: the plant is frozen (during winter transportation), insufficient watering, and excessive soil moisture. In the first case, the pot with the plant can be immersed in a bowl of water until the soil is completely wet and spray the leaves in parallel with warm water.
When the color of the leaves changes (they turn black) there is an overflow. The plant must be removed from the pot, inspected the roots, cut out the rotten parts, healthy ones should be treated with a fungicide and transplanted into a new loose soil. The pot must be taken according to the size of the root system - in large capacity the roots will not be able to absorb all the moisture and will rot again. 2-3 days after persistence, the plant should be watered with a root solution.
Brown and yellow spots on the leaves appear when the watered plant has stood on a cold draft and has frozen to the frost.
Extensive brown or black areas on the leaves are characterized by an excess of fertilizer (burn). After this sheet quickly turns yellow and dies. To save the plant, its roots must be washed under water and transplanted into a new soil.
Massive uneven yellowing of the foliage indicates starvation of the spathiphyllum. Observed a picture of chlorosis (mosaic):
• the veins become discolored, the leaf remains green,
• green veins, leaf blade yellow - if there is a shortage of iron.
To compensate for the lack of trace elements, the plant is sprayed with complex fertilizer and iron chelate.
Chlorosis Leaf Spathiphyllum
Spathiphyllum does not grow for the following reasons:
• Large pot - until the plant grows the root system, the development of the ground part will be suspended,
Spathiphyllum is a popular and such favorite by many women plant. The flower has bright green, beautiful leaves and elegant white flowers, which are revealed only with proper care. The topic of this article is Spathiphyllum - home care. Photos of plants, presented on our website, will help you even more to love the flower and teach the proper care of him.
Spathiphyllum - home care. A photo
Spathiphyllum - care that everyone will master
Some flower growers complain about spathiphyllum, because they can not wait for its flowering. But it happens that the wrong care and inappropriate conditions for growing inhibit the development process, and the flower may not bloom at all. What to do in this case?
For beginnings, we note that for the normal development of the plant, you need to know: where did it come from and what were its natural habitats. Interestingly, Spathiphyllum hails from the rainforests of Brazil, so it is demanding on humidity and the amount of sunlight.
If you were given a flower of female happiness, then the first thing to do is to transplant it into another soil and find the most comfortable pot. The soil used in specialized stores is not always suitable for the plant, and the pot is often small. Spathiphyllum root system needs space and not sour soil.
What kind of care is needed for spathiphyllum? There are several important points:
- Humidity. The flower is very fond of high humidity, so you should pay special attention to watering and spraying the plant. It is also recommended to put near the flower a small container with water that evaporates, will create its own, comfortable microclimate. In the summer time, you can even make a small summer shower.
- Fertilizers. Like any other plant, women's happiness also needs complex nutrition.
To do this, you can use mineral or organic fertilizers. The frequency of application is once a month. Most Spathiphyllum needs potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen.
- Air temperature. Normal flower growth and development is possible only if the correct temperature is maintained. The plant is not particularly demanding, but frost and severe cold can not move. In summer, if the room is very hot and dry, it is better to take the flower to the balcony.
The optimum air temperature for a flower is 16-18 degrees.
- Lighting. Direct sunlight has a negative effect on the condition of the plant, so that scattered, soft ultraviolet rays fall on the plant. You can also put a pot with spathiphyllum in a dark place.
- Watering. How often should I water a flower? As soon as this becomes necessary. It is important not to let the soil dry out, but also not to flood the plants. In this case, the root system will begin to rot. For irrigation it is recommended to use water at room temperature.
- Transfer. Spathiphyllum is transplanted to another pot in the spring time. The whole process should be carried out only in rubber gloves to prevent the ingress of juice on the skin or mucous membranes.
When does spathiphyllum start to hurt? There may be several reasons. Firstly, sometimes insects are attacked by a pest of a flower, and sometimes there is not enough light for a plant.
Spathiphyllum home care secret of success
Secondly, if you have never used fertilizer for the soil, the spathiphyllum will most likely be ill, lose its attractive appearance and turn yellow.
How to protect a flower from pests? It is necessary to monitor the quantity and quality of irrigation, avoid dangerous neighborhoods and spray it with special preparations. So, spathiphyllum - home care, a photo and our recommendations will certainly help you grow your own beautiful, elegant and attractive plant.
Translated from the Greek, the name of the flower comes from 2 words and means a flower with a veil. And indeed, the plant has an unusual shape, presented in the form of an inflorescence - a cob framed in a cover of white, green or cream tone.
The ear itself has a varied color up to a red hue. This plant is without a stem with a short rhizome and rigid leaves emanating from the ground. Characteristic for tropical areas. It belongs to the order of aroid plants, it was once brought from tropical Colombia.
According to legend, a house that has a spathiphyllum is not threatened by female loneliness and generally the signs associated with this flower are mostly positive. It is believed that the flower has magical properties:
- unmarried girls meet their betrothed,
- peace and harmony reign between spouses
- in families where there were no children, a priceless gift appears - a child.
Outwardly, the spathiphyllum is an ordinary flower. Unusual it becomes thanks to caring, loving hands that are able to work wonders, prompting the plant to bloom. Flowers are formed as a fulfillment of secret desire.
How to care for a plant at home?
During the period of development and flowering the plant needs good watering, however, the horse system does not tolerate an excess of moisture. It is necessary to observe moderation in watering. It is advisable to carry it out when the topsoil dries. In winter, watering is reduced, preventing full drying of the earth. The flower likes high humidity. In the summer, the Spathiphyllum should be sprayed frequently, and in the winter, it is better to put the plant pot on a tray with expanded clay or wet pebbles. October - January the flower is in a state of rest.
Fertilizing plants are carried out weekly during the autumn - spring period, in winter time after 3 weeks. Use universal fertilizer or for flowering plants. Feed the plant after watering according to the instructions on the package fertilizer. If the plant is poorly fed or not at all, the spathiphyllum will not bloom or slow down the flowering process.
What ground do spathiphyllum need?
In nature, the flower grows in the soil, consisting of rotten branches, compost, fallen leaves, charcoal. At home, a similar substrate can be made up of peat, garden soil, perlite, soil for orchids, which includes charcoal, gravel, bark, in a ratio of 3: 2: 2: 3.
You can use the land of a different composition. The main thing - it must be fertile and loose. If the soil is heavy, stagnant water is possible in the roots, leading to rotting of the root system. Against rot also provide for drainage in the plant pot.
Plants under the age of 5 years are transplanted annually, then transplantation is carried out only when the root system is visible outside the drainage holes. The flower is placed in a pot, small in volume and depth. This is due to the fact that in a large container the earth will begin to sour, not waiting for the root system of the plant to grow in it. The capacity for transplanting should be selected a little more than the previous one.
With a flower height of up to 40 cm and a pot diameter of about 20 cm, transplanting can be avoided, and sometimes only refresh the top layer of earth in the pot. Before transplanting spathiphyllum watered. If you need to get a beautiful plant with large leaves, then the side shoots are removed, because they spend a lot of the forces of the flower itself. A drainage layer of about 2 cm is poured into the prepared container, then fresh earth is added a few centimeters.
Spathiphyllum are planted together with a clod of earth on the roots, filling around it all the existing voids in the tank. If the planting is done in a wet ground, then it is not necessary to water the plant strongly after that. For better adaptation, the plant is not watered for 3 to 4 days, only sprayed.
The flower is propagated by separation of the bush in the spring. To do this, from the main plant carefully, in order not to damage, side shoots are separated from the roots. They are planted in separate containers with the ground. Flower propagation by seeds is rather complicated.
There is no guarantee that the desired variety will grow as a result. Germination of the seeds obtained is bad, moreover, it disappears quickly. Sow them in a mixture of sand and peat immediately after harvest. Crops covered with foil. The soil under crops should not be damp, but slightly damp.
From the foregoing, it can be noted that the spathiphyllum is a lowly plant. A particle of the human soul and warmth will help him to show himself in all its glory and to please others with his uniqueness. "Women's happiness" must live in the house!
And a little about the secrets.
The story of one of our readers Irina Volodina:
My eyes were especially frustrating, surrounded by large wrinkles plus dark circles and swelling. How to remove wrinkles and bags under the eyes completely? How to cope with swelling and redness? But nothing is so old or young man as his eyes.
But how to rejuvenate them? Plastic surgery? I found out - no less than 5 thousand dollars. Hardware procedures - photorejuvenation, gas-liquid pilling, radio lifting, laser facelift? Slightly more accessible - the course costs 1.5-2 thousand dollars. And when to find all this time? Yes, and still expensive. Especially now. Therefore, for myself, I chose another way.