Since childhood, each of us has known such a burning and unpleasant weed as nettle. Basically it grows on empty plots, but often it settles in a garden, a kitchen garden among cultivated plants or under fences. How to get rid of nettle in the country forever? Make it very difficult, and the process is quite long.
Do I need to delete?
People do not like nettle for its very burning temper, and sometimes they forget that this plant can be very useful. It has healing properties.
- Nettle is rich in vitamins A, C, K, it contains a lot of potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus.
- This is an excellent pet food.
- From nettle do for beds of fertilizer.
- Her extract can often be found in cosmetics and medicines.
- Nettle make a very effective mask for hair loss.
Asking about how to get rid of nettle on the site, you should first get acquainted with its useful properties and methods of use.
In times of hunger, when it was difficult to find even the familiar to all potatoes, people fed on various wild plants, including nettle.
And what is most interesting of all - the generation of the 30s-40s was much healthier than their descendants.
Before adding nettles to various dishes, it must be properly prepared.
Old shoots are not suitable for food, because they are too hard and they have a bitter taste. Plucked young leaves should be pre-scalded with boiling water or, wearing gloves, wash well under running water to remove burning hairs.
Nettle contains more carotene than carrots, and four times more vitamin C than citrus.
From the leaves prepared in this way, you can cook soup and soups, add them to salads, cereals, omelets, make fillings for pancakes and pies, as well as make delicious and healthy tea.
In salads, nettle leaves are well combined with green onions, boiled eggs, carrots, nuts. These salads are dressed with vegetable oil or sour cream.
Use of chemicals
If you do not know how to get rid of nettle weeds, then the easiest way to use chemicals is herbicides. They are used for the destruction of weeds on large areas and are soil and soil.
- soil herbicides act through the aerial parts of the plant (stem, leaves),
- ground remedies act through the roots.
Depending on the effects on plants, herbicides are divided into three types:
- Drugs with contact action. These funds infest weeds only in the place where the chemical has got, cause burns and then the death of the plants. The disadvantage of these drugs is that if the tool does not fall on any part of the plant, the weed can grow back.
- System tools that affect the entire plant.
- Herbicides that affect the root system and seeds.
Herbicides have a non-selective and selective spectrum of action. Non-selective means destroy all weeds. Selective or, in other words, selective drugs affect certain types of plants, and for the rest are safe.
Herbicides to combat nettle
We considered how to get rid of nettles in the country forever by chemical means. Consider now the most common means.
One of the herbicides tested by many gardeners is Roundup, which poses practically no danger to humans, does not accumulate in the soil, and very effectively removes weeds, including nettles. The analogs of this chemical are systemic agents against weeds: “Zero”, “Fosulen”, “Utal”, “Gosorg”, “Tornado”, “Uragan”. Spraying is most effectively carried out in warm weather, when there is no wind and rain, with air humidity not exceeding 50%.
Folk methods of dealing with nettle
Consider how to get rid of nettles in the country with the help of folk methods.
- Alcohol method. For the first time this method was applied in the 30s. The soil a month before planting is treated with a 6% solution of ethyl alcohol. You can also use 150 ml of vodka per 10 liters of water. Under the action of ethanol, weed germination accelerates, which are subsequently carefully weeded. The method is valid for the season.
- Fiery method. After sowing cultivated plants, before their emergence, the soil is calcined with the help of a sliding flame from a blowtorch. This procedure should be carried out very quickly, so as not to damage the seeds sown, and only destroy the weeds. Then to cool the ground watered.
- Substitution method. If there is no vegetation on the plot, then it very soon begins to grow over with weeds. Therefore, it is advisable to plant cultivated plants on free beds, or to resort to mulching the land.
- Treatment with 30% potassium salt solution. This method is most often used in greenhouses among cultivated plants, where weeding is impossible, and chemicals will harm other crops. This method will relieve nettle, but not for long. The method is harmless and quite applicable as a temporary measure.
- Use boiling water. It is considered not the most effective method, especially for large land plots. On the soil where it grows nettle and other weeds, pour boiling water. Land after this procedure, it is desirable to mulch. The effect of this method is short.
Gardener's mistakes when weeding out weeds
One of the biggest mistakes is improper handling of nettle with herbicides. When spraying, the chemical also gets on the cultivated plant, after which it dies. Nettle or other weeds can not be watered with a watering can, as this is too large a dosage. Spraying should be carried out from the spray, but with a large spray hole.
Spraying is not recommended in windy weather, since the herbicide can get not only on nettles, but also on cultivated plants.
One of the most common mistakes is poor plant protection from chemicals against weeds. When processing herbicides planting should be closed with plastic wrap or screen.
Prevention is the best way to get rid of the burning weed. The favorite habitats of this weed plant are places near fences. For their destruction at a distance of 0.3-0.5 m from the fence put a film, boards or roofing felt.
Also emerging weeds need to be mowed regularly with a trimmer. For the winter period, the site is sprinkled with sawdust or covered with fallen leaves.
So, we looked at how to get rid of nettle in the garden forever. Before you begin to fight weeds, it is advisable to explore all the ways outlined in this article. These methods have been tested and are considered the most optimal and demanded when weeding weeds from the site.
Depending on the degree of neglect of the land, choose one or another method, and even better to combine several.
Weeding the territory
This method is considered the most effective, although it requires a lot of effort and time. You need to know that one of the features of this plant is a highly branched root system. The processes are so densely intertwined with the "neighbors" in the area that simply pulling the stalk of nettle from the ground will not give the proper result. That is why, in relation to it, weeding should be understood as the digging of those places in the country where this plant usually develops.
The depth of the opening of the reservoir should be at least 1.5 bayonet (it is about 30 cm). At this level, and are located nettle roots. In the process of "shoveling" the land, they are carefully selected. Everything that is collected is recyclable, and quite simply, incinerated in a country furnace.
To prevent re-germination of nettle (part of the roots will inevitably go unnoticed), this segment of the site must again be covered with an opaque material. Why, as indicated in paragraph 1. But this is the case, if such an opportunity exists, since it is hardly worth it to create a “discomfort” for garden crops just because of nettle removal.
Potassium salt solution
It is advisable to practice this technique if the nettle growth is not so thick. For example, along the perimeter fence, individual shoots made their way in the greenhouse, and so on. This method does not take much time - a 30% solution is prepared, with which the plant is sprayed.
The range of compositions of this group is quite large, but they all serve to combat weeds. Good results are obtained by using Tornado, Glyphos, Roundup and similar chemicals.
Why these funds?
- They affect all parts of the nettle - and the root system, and the fact that above the surface (stem, foliage).
- These compositions are quickly washed out of the soil or decompose, and therefore it does not accumulate.
- For garden / garden crops, they are harmless, which means that they can also kill the nettles everywhere, no matter where they appear.
Tip Time for the use of these drugs must be chosen with the expectation that in the next day there will be no precipitation. Otherwise, they will not give the proper effect. The reason is noted above.
Planting certain plants
Some representatives of the flora simply survive nettles from the site. In this case, their incompatibility is implied. In the forums of the subject of summer house / garden / garden, Caspay is mentioned more often. If you plant this flower in the “problem” zones in the spring (where nettle develops the most), then it will definitely not be there.
Practice shows that it is extremely difficult to remove nettles from a dacha using any one technique, and this is not always the case. To get rid of it really forever, you should try at least 2 - 3 ways. The fact that a comprehensive struggle with nettle gives the maximum effect, has been tested many times, in different areas.
The question is, is it worth destroying nettles in the country completely? Experienced gardeners still leave part of the nettle on the site, as they use it with benefit. They not only prepare dishes and medicines, but also make bath brooms, use solutions based on it to combat various pests (the same aphids). It is only necessary to take a certain segment of the territory for nettle and make sure that it does not “go” around the site.
Nettle is a upright plant with side branches. It can reach a height of two meters. Stems and leaves have a green color of different saturation. They are covered with multiple stinging hairs.
Each hair contains active substances that penetrate the skin of a person or an animal upon contact with nettle. When exposed to acetylcholine, serotonin and histamine appear pain, and tartaric and oxalic acids provoke the formation of redness and blisters, strengthening the pain.
What hurts nettle land?
Weeds, flooded garden area can cause a lot of trouble:
- After flowering on the nettle, the seeds ripen, with which it generously sprinkles the earth. They give life to young plants, rapidly capturing new territories.
- With age, the roots of the stinging plant become strong and penetrate deep into fertile soil. So weed displaces and inhibits vegetable crops.
- A weed tends to dry up the soil and impede its processing, so it is difficult for a cultivated plant to survive next to it.
- In the thickets of weeds, many harmful insects, which freely migrate to many garden crops, find shelter.
- Also, nettle can be a source of spread of dangerous diseases for vegetable crops.
The thickets of stinging weeds are difficult to remove forever. Many gardeners have been struggling with them for several years without success. But there are several proven methods that give a positive result.
What drugs will help get rid of nettle
You can fight with weeds by chemical means. This is the least expensive way to save time and energy. Chemicals are especially popular for dealing with extensive weed thickets. Herbicides can be soil and ground. The first affect the plant through the leaves and stems. And the latter kill the weed through the root system.
Among gardeners, the drug Roundup is especially popular. It is the least dangerous for people, does not have the ability to accumulate in the ground and is quite effective in dealing with nettle. Also, the herbicide can be replaced with similar drugs: "Zero", "Fosulenom", "Utalom", "State Trade", "Tornado" and "Hurricane."
Poisonous products should be sprayed on plants in warm, dry and windless weather.
Poisons kill weeds after a few days. A planting of vegetable crops can be carried out immediately after processing. With all the advantages of chemical products, many gardeners prefer not to use them. Especially if the site is located well with drinking water. To combat nettle, they use proven and effective folk methods.
Fighting a stinging plant by folk methods
Since the inception of gardening, many methods have been devised for the destruction of nettles in the garden. And some methods have shown themselves particularly well and have gained popularity:
- Weeding. This is the most time consuming and effective way to control weeds. Nettle need to weed with a hoe or hoe, choosing from the ground the roots of the plant. To achieve the maximum effect, the area freed from the nettle should be dig and remove the remaining roots. To prevent the plant from sprouting again, the treated area should be covered with an opaque material. And after a while, the missed sprouts and roots of the plant will rot and the stinging plant will be exterminated forever.
- Alcohol treatment. This method began to use in the thirties. A month before sowing, the site was sprinkled with a solution of ethyl alcohol. Ethanol stimulates the germination of weeds, which are subject to thorough weeding. The validity of the method is extended for the entire season.
- Removal by fire. The method should be applied after sowing seeds of vegetable crops, but so far they have not grown. Soil ignited with a blowtorch. The procedure must be carried out very quickly in order to kill only the weeds and prevent damage to the sown seeds. If the seeds of cultivated plants have not yet been sown, then make fires, changing their location.
- Substitute method. Overgrown weeds mow and cover the ground with dense linoleum. Top folded stinging nettles and sprinkled it with earth. You can sprinkle biobacteria on top. Under linoleum nothing will grow, and the earth will become loose. And from a mowed grass good fertilizer will turn out. If it is not planned to plant vegetables, then the area freed from nettles should be sown with replacement crops such as buckwheat, phacelia or sideratami.
- Potassium salt treatment. This method is most often used in the processing of greenhouses, where weeding is difficult, and chemicals can damage cultivated plants. The treatment is carried out with a 30% solution of the potassium salt. The method does not cause any harm, but does not last long.
Some gardeners have got the hang of exterminating the stinging culture with boiling water and other available methods. Horticulture is developing, the experience is accumulating, so there are many of the many ways to deal with nettles and everyone can choose the most affordable one.
Why does nettle burn skin when touched?
On the stems and leaves of the plant is a large number of very fine hairs that protect the grass from animals and insects. If you touch the nettle, the hairs instantly emit a mixture of allergens, which consists of histamine and formic acid. Usually, after this, it starts burning, redness of the skin, itching and blisters.
Noticed: the older nettle, the stronger its “bite”.
The mechanical method is optimal for small summer cottages or front gardens. In order to permanently get rid of the weed, it will be necessary to carry out several important actions:
- the soil in the littered area should be well digged, preferably more than once,
- then all growing parts of weeds are removed, and roots are extracted from the soil.
When destroying nettle, you must follow a few simple rules:
- it is best not to tighten, remove the weeds while they are still young,
- it is necessary to carry the nettle away from the garden, because the weed gives young shoots very quickly,
- it is easiest to weed after rain, so it is much easier to remove the plant with the root.
If after a short period of time the shoots reappear, the weeding procedure must be repeated again. After the soil can be covered with black film so that the plants could not spread further.
The cut for dry or rotted grass or foliage can also serve as a barrier for further weed propagation. Humus from grass and leaves should be filled with a dense layer, 5-10 cm thick.
How to use weed for good
Despite the fact that nettle is considered a weed and most often causes harm, it also has a lot of advantages:
- nettle leaves contain a lot of useful vitamins and minerals, such as folic acid, thiamine, riboflavin, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus,
- leaves can be used as a decoction for hair loss, severe dandruff, greasy and quickly contaminated hair,
- for cosmetic purposes, frozen cubes of nettle broth can be wiped in the morning with face and neck. Such procedures have a rejuvenating effect on the skin. In acne, recommended alcohol tincture of nettle, which also contributes to the narrowing of pores and getting rid of oily shine,
- in medicine, nettle broth is used for edema, as well as for the treatment of inflammation,
- applications of nettle and almond oil help to strengthen the nail plate and heal the agnails. To do this, it is enough every evening for two weeks to apply this tool on steamed nails to get rid of brittleness,
- decoction in the form of rinsing can get rid of bleeding gums and the formation of tartar.
It is not recommended to self-medicate. For health problems, it is better to go to the doctor right away.
Analysis of ways to deal with nettle in the country
There are two ways to get rid of nettle: chemical and mechanical. If the garden is not large, then the mechanical method will be useful. The mechanical method includes:
- thorough soil digging,
- removal of aerial parts of plants (can be put in a compost pit - suitable for fertilizer),
- the destruction of the roots.
Tip # 1. It is recommended to dig the soil deeper than 30 cm, since nettle is a rather robust plant. Discarded root can easily settle down.
- weed better until the weeds are young,
- it is necessary to clean nettles until it has matured and has not given new offspring,
- after the rain, weed is easier, because the roots are easier to remove from the soil,
- selection of weeds from the soil.
After digging, after some time young shoots will appear again. This is a signal to repeat the procedure. They do not recommend digging up the soil with a shovel, because some plants may remain and re-grow. Preferably several times until complete exhaustion of the underground part of the plant. Then close the soil with black plastic film or slate, new shoots will not be able to break through. Sprouted nettle shoots removed with a trimmer. Under the fence lay tile, roofing material, slate or polyethylene - these are obstacles to the germination of nettle.
Places along the fences, fences and walls of houses require special attention, because it is this favorite space of most weeds.
Another option for weed growth is mowed grass, sawdust, or fall foliage. They fall asleep under a fence or wall of a house 10 cm thick. To combat nettle that has grown over large areas, it is more profitable to use chemical methods.
Nettle Plant Summary
All are familiar with the burning properties of nettle since childhood. The name nettle (Urtica) comes from the Latin word “uro” - I burn. The genus includes about 50 species. The most famous are two species: nettle (Urtica dioica) and stinging nettle (Urtica urens).
Nettle is common in areas with a temperate climate, less often it can be found in southern areas. This herb is covered with stinging hairs. Nettle burns are considered harmless. But there are exceptions. Dangerous tropical plant - nettle tree, touching it can be fatal. The stem of the tetrahedral shape, does not branch. Nettle blooms from June. The fruit is a nutlet, ripening occurs by the end of August.
The nettle reaches a height of 1.5 meters.
If there is a lot of vacant land in the garden plot, then weeds are inevitable. Nettle loves neutral and slightly acidic fertile soil. If it grows in a garden plot with plants such as red clover and field bindweed, this is a clear indicator for the soil.
By the composition of weeds, it is also possible to determine the mineral composition of the soil. On nitrogen-rich soil, in addition to nettle, such plants as the groundsel, hops, quinoa, and marigold grow. Nettle easily take root in the new territories, and get rid of it is quite difficult.
Folk ways to deal with nettle
- Alcohol method. For the first time this method was applied in the 30s of the XX century. A month before the start of sowing, the earth is treated with a 6% solution of ethyl alcohol. At home, use 150 ml of vodka per 10 liters of water. Under the influence of ethanol, weed germination accelerates. Then they carefully weed. The actions of this method is enough for the season.
- Fiery way. After the cultivated plants have been sown, until the moment of their emergence, the earth is calcined with a sliding flame of a blowtorch. This manipulation must be carried out quickly, in order to not burn the necessary seeds, and only remove the weeds. Then the soil is cooled by watering it.
- Substitution method. If the soil is not occupied by anything from the vegetation, then it will soon grow weeds. Therefore, it is more profitable to plant cultivated plants on the freed beds or resort to mulching the soil. In some cases, conduct a compacted landing.
From weeds compacted planting will not get rid of, but they will be less, with a predominance of one-year weed vegetation.
Chemical ways to get rid of nettle
Herbicides are chemicals for the destruction of weeds. By way of penetration into plants, herbicides are:
- soil (substances penetrate above-ground parts of plants),
- ground (herbicides that penetrate through the roots, and destructive effect on seedlings of seeds and plant roots).
On the effects on plants, there are three types of herbicides:
- contact action
- system action,
- herbicides that affect the seeds and the root system.
Herbicides of contact action affect the plant only in those places where the solution has entered. The drugs cause burns and weed death. The disadvantage of such herbicides is that if the preparation does not get to any part of the plant, then new stems and leaves of the weed can grow. Herbicides of this type are used more often as defoliants.
Systemic herbicides affect fully the entire plant. There are herbicides of selective and non-selective action. Selective or, in other words, selective herbicides act on certain types of plants, but for others they are safe. Non-selective drugs destroy all weed vegetation. For cultivated plants, herbicide-resistant varieties are derived, which makes it possible to widely use these products.
Glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide, the main active ingredient in Tornado, Glyphor, Roundup, and Hurricane products, which are used to control perennial weeds. Glyphosate penetrates plant cells and prevents vital compounds from forming, and the weed dies. In this case, the sensitivity to this herbicide in animals is absent, since in their bodies such substances as plants do not form.
Glyphosate is not as harmless as it may seem at first glance. Studies conducted in March 2015 showed that glyphosate is a possible human carcinogen. There is also evidence that this chemical can damage genes.
Tip # 2. For treatment with herbicides, it is recommended to choose the weather without wind, rain and heat. Because the effectiveness of the herbicide decreases if immediately after the treatment of weeds, it starts to rain and wash away a part of the preparation.
Herbicide recommendation for nettle control
One of the herbicides tested by gardeners is Roundup. This chemical has a number of analogues, systemic drugs against weeds: “Utal”, “Zero”, “Tornado”, “Gossorg”, “Uragan”, “Fosulen”. The useful parameters of the roundup herbicide are listed in Table 1. This preparation is most effective in warm weather, with a humidity of not more than 50%.
Do I need to delete?
People do not like nettles for its burning temper, sometimes forgetting how useful this plant can be. It contains vitamin A, C, K, a lot of calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium.
This plant is an excellent pet food, fertilizers are made from it for the beds, its extract is often found in medicinal and cosmetic products.
Asking how to get rid of nettles on the site, you should first get acquainted with its useful properties and methods of use.
Experienced gardeners know well that from different weeds you can get valuable and absolutely free fertilizer for the garden. Nettle in such vegetable dressing is simply an indispensable component.
Therefore, before getting rid of nettles in the country or in the garden, you need to think about how to get the most out of it.
If a compost pile is equipped at the site, then the torn weed is simply thrown there. But liquid fertilizer prepared in this way will be more effective: chopped green weed is piled into a large container and filled with water at the rate of 10 liters per 1 kg of green mass. If there is wood ash, you can also add it here. To fertilizer was ready earlier, pour into the tank any microbiological preparation, which accelerates the fermentation process.
Infusion of nettle can be treated beds and trees from aphids and powdery mildew. To do this, 500 g of leaves pour 5 liters of cold water and insist a few days.
The manual method of struggle takes a lot of time and effort, but is the safest and most effective. Nettle grows where the land is not planted with cultivated plants. In the autumn you need to dig such areas on the spade bayonet, remove all the roots and burn them.
In the spring, as soon as young shoots appear, weed the thickets as deep as possible, removing all parts of the plant. And so every time with the appearance of young. Weed need to weed out until the seeds appeared.
Use potassium salt
A 30% solution of potassium salt is more commonly used in greenhouses, where weeding is impossible and chemicals will harm plants. This method eliminates nettle for a short time, but is harmless and is quite applicable as a temporary measure.
We mulch the soil
After weeding and removal of all parts of the plant, the soil is covered with any opaque material - it can be slate or black film, old boards, pieces of plywood.
Hay or mowed grass that fits a layer of at least 10 cm will work well as mulch. Young shoots will not be able to pass through such a shelter.
If you do not know how to get rid of nettle in the country forever, the easiest way to resort to the help of herbicides. They are used for the destruction of weeds on large areas, there are soil and soil.
The first enter the plant through the roots, the second through the stem and leaves. According to the effects on the plant, systemic drugs are more effective, since the contact ones destroy only that part of the plant where the chemical has got, and the systemic drugs have a destructive effect on the whole plant.
One of these drugs is Roundup, which poses almost no danger to humans, does not accumulate in the soil and effectively destroys not only nettles, but also other weeds. Spraying is carried out in warm weather, when there is no rain and wind.
Prevention is the best way to get rid of this stinging weed. The plots near the fences are the favorite habitats of this plant. At a distance of 0.3-0.6 m from the fences put a film, roofing felt or boards.
You also need to regularly mow the emerging weeds with a trimmer. In winter, the territory is covered with fallen leaves or sprinkled with sawdust.
Before you start to deal with nettles at the dacha, it is worth exploring all the proven methods that are given in this article. Such methods are the most optimal and demanded when removing it from the site.
Depending on the degree of neglect of the site choose one or another method, and even better to combine several.
How to get rid of nettle in the country forever: a list of the best ways
Nettle is a upright plant with side branches. It can reach a height of two meters. Stems and leaves have a green color of different saturation. They are covered with multiple stinging hairs.
Brew dry or fresh nettle leaves with boiling water, infuse them for about half an hour in a thermos and get tasty and healthy nettle tea. For a better healing effect and aroma, you can safely add dried rosehip and mint.
Nettle is also used successfully in home cosmetology. It is used in the care of hair and skin.
- For healthy hair You can make an infusion of nettle (150 g leaves, pour 1 l of hot water, add 1 tablespoon of thick honey and let it brew for 1 hour, then strain the infusion using a strainer and then rinse their hair after each wash).
- Anti-dandruff helps the joint decoction of nettle with crushed calamus roots and coltsfoot.
- With hair loss rinsing with a decoction of nettle leaves on vinegar will help (200 g of leaves pour 500 ml of vinegar and 500 ml of water, boil, cool).
To make face mask from nettle, 1 tsp crushed dried leaves pour 1 tbsp. hot milk and add whipped protein (for oily skin) or egg yolk (for dry).
There is a variant of the mask of chopped green nettle with honey. You can even simply apply to the face a mixture of dry, shredded nettle with warm water. Such masks have rejuvenating and nourishing effects.
More infusions, oils and decoctions on the nettle leaves help fight wrinkles, relieve the itch from insect bites, get rid of the smell in a street toilet ...
As you can see, a burning weed unloved by many, with the right approach, turns out to be a wave of a sweet and even useful plant in the country. Do you get rid of nettle on your plot or have you found a worthy use for it?