Basil belongs to the genus of perennial and annual grasses, as well as shrubs of the family “Lambs”. Representatives of the genus grow in tropical and temperate warm areas of the Old World. The plant is widely under popular names "Rayhon"And"reagan».
Science knows about 70 varieties of basil, but residents of European countries are actively using only 3 of its types: Greek, purple and sweet, differing from each other in leaf size and having more or less pronounced spicy and aromatic qualities.
Basil is known as an aromatic seasoning. In India, he was considered a sacred spice, and in Ayuverd they wrote about him as a remedy for various diseases. In ancient Greece, Raykhon received the title of "royal herb", since (presumably) it was part of oils for anointing kings.
In Greece, the Reagan is still appreciated. On the island of Crete, it is considered a symbol of painful love that has passed through numerous trials. In India, the famous holy basil, called "tulsi", which means "incomparable."
In European countries, the plant became widespread only in the XVI century. In those days it was called spice, worthy of kings. Then they learned about the basilica on the Pacific Islands and in Africa.
In Russia, rayhon appeared at the beginning of the 17th century. Its fresh leaves were eaten with salt and used as seasoning for roasts. Outstanding doctors of Pirogov and Botkin spoke about the healing properties of the plant. In the first world war, basil was used to treat wounds.
Today, Reagan is found in the wild in the Mediterranean (mainly on sunny slopes). It is cultivated in Europe, America, Iceland, Crimea, Krasnodar Territory and other parts of the world.
Composition of basil
100 gr. product accounts for about 23 kcal.
Nutritional value (per 100 g):
The seasoning owes its pleasant smell to its essential oils. Basil is rich in nutrients: camphor, cineol, saponin, methylchavinol, otsimen and vitamins: B2, PP, C, routine, carotene.
Useful properties and contraindications to the use of basil
The plant is a powerful antiseptic, as it contains linalol. This substance, in addition, has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the brain and heart.
In folk medicine Raykhon used as a carminative and diuretic. It is famous for its ability to remove phlegm from the bronchi with respiratory ailments.
Regular basil intake improves cerebral circulation and blood circulation in vessels, as well as helps to cope with headaches and migraines.
Reagan is used for intestinal colic and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. In case of indigestion, they drink herbal tea or tea.
Raykhon essential oil is used in stressful situations, for the treatment of neurosis and the fight against insomnia. It perfectly removes nervous tension and calms. It is important to consider that the essential oil is prohibited to use in its pure form. It certainly needs to be diluted with water.
Camphor, which is part of the plant, determines its ability to exert a stimulating effect on the depressed nervous system.
The antiseptic properties of basil are used in the treatment of respiratory ailments. It is used for colds and flu to reduce body temperature.
Basil activates the formation of gastric juice, and is therefore indicated for poor appetite. It stimulates digestion, normalizes the intestinal microflora, relaxes the muscles of the stomach. This plant eliminates inflammation, relieves spasms, and helps to cope with nausea and vomiting. Reagan is used for constipation, as it has a laxative effect, and for diarrhea, as a means of destroying harmful bacteria and microbes.
Rayhon tones the work of the heart and reduces the pressure in the vessels. Due to its vasodilating properties, blood flow to the internal organs is facilitated. This plant is used for the treatment of atherosclerosis and anemia.
Contraindications and recommendations for use:
Basil contains mercury compounds, which causes contraindications to its use. Thus, it is undesirable to eat with thrombophlebitis, thrombosis, varicose veins, bleeding disorders, recent stroke or myocardial infarction, individual intolerance, and children under 7 years of age. Do not get involved in this spice to pregnant women. With great care to use basil should be approached to people suffering from cardiovascular diseases, epilepsy, diabetes. Eating basil in large quantities is fraught with irritation of the gastrointestinal mucosa.
It is strongly not recommended to be treated with basil essential oil for more than 3 weeks. In addition, an excessive dose of plant materials, and especially the essential oil of raykhona, can lead to severe poisoning in some cases to a fatal outcome. Allergy-prone people should weigh the pros and cons before carrying out the Reagan treatment, and those suffering from excessive tooth enamel sensitivity should not chew this plant.
Before starting therapy with basil, it is necessary to consult a doctor. This rule especially applies to people in the listed “risk group”.
Common basil (camphor, garden, myatolidae, fragrant)
Annual herb producing valuable essential oil. It is widely used in cooking, traditional medicine, cosmetology. It has a wide range of pharmacological effects. It is used in pathologies of the digestive system, heart and blood vessels, nervous system, skin.
Basil came to us from eastern India and Ceylon. This spicy plant has a specific aroma and inimitable taste, therefore it was originally used only in cooking. The usefulness of the culture was noticed by folk healers and began to actively use the herb for the treatment of many diseases. Somewhat later, the chemical composition was scientifically examined and the therapeutic properties of the plant were confirmed.
Basil grass has many forms and is easily pereopolyatsya. It is on this property that the multiplicity of species is based, as well as the production of various plant varieties. The acquisition of new morphological properties underlies the multiplicity of names applied to one variety of basil. So, common basil is called a garden, myatolium, camphor, fragrant, although we are talking about one form, but in different morphological manifestations.
Common basil is a tropical plant. As a wild growing species it is found in tropical and subtropical latitudes of Asia, America, Europe, on the territory of Iran, in the Caucasus. Due to the valuable properties of the herb itself and the essential oil extracted from it, basil is actively cultivated in southern France, Italy and Spain, in Moldova, China, Mongolia, as well as in southern Ukraine and Russia.
The plant is a herbaceous annual. It grows on loose fertile soils. Characterized by the following features.
- Root system Represented by the central root and the set of lateral, which are strongly branched. The depth of penetration of the plant into the soil is small - about 10 cm. Additional roots quickly form on the shoots.
- Stem. It has a rounded shape and four faces. Very often pubescent. Green or anthocyanin. In height, the plant reaches 60 cm, strongly branched. In the process of development, the stem becomes woody.
- Leaves. In basil, they are petiolate, ovate or rounded, 8 cm in length, depending on the variety. The location is opposite. The edge is solid or curved. Mostly not pubescent, color from saturated green to anthocyanin.
- Flowers Have a light purple color. Mutations of eight to ten small flowers form a raceme-shaped inflorescence on the top of the main stem, less often in the leaf axils. Flowering continues from June to late August.
- Fruit. Begin to ripen in September. After flowering, four brilliant seeds of a dark brown color are formed, up to 2 mm in length. The upper seed coat, upon contact with moist soil, quickly forms mucus and the fruit germinates. The rising capacity of the seed is maintained for seven years.
Basil is a warm, light, moisture-loving herb. Seeds germinate only if the soil warms up to + 15 ° С. Also, the plant is demanding regarding the composition of the soil - like a wet, loose fertile soil. To obtain strong viable crops, annual fertilization with organic fertilizers is recommended.
The ideal temperature for plant development should exceed +25 C. Regular and abundant watering is required, as well as a sufficient amount of sunlight. Only in this way can the plant accumulate a sufficient amount of essential oil in the aerial part.
Planting starts at the end of March. Seeds are planted in boxes, create a greenhouse effect, regularly sprayed with water. Landing in open ground must be made not earlier than in the second half of May, when the risk of night frosts completely disappears. The culture does not withstand frost, the shoots die if the temperature drops to 0 ° C. Seedlings are ill if the ambient temperature does not rise above + 15 ° C for several days.
Preparation of raw materials
For the purpose of treatment can be applied fresh basil leaves or a plant in a dried form. It is important to properly prepare raw materials.
- Collection and harvesting. Begin in June, after the plant blooms, because the inflorescences also cumulate the essential oil. Shoots are taken, departing from the ground by 10-15 cm. This approach allows you to get a few shoots per season, because the cut stem grows.
- Drying Held under a canopy. This minimizes the loss of biologically active substances. It is also allowed to dry the plant in a well-ventilated room or with the help of a dryer at a low temperature (up to 35 ° C). The shoots are tied up in small brooms and hung, laid out in a thin layer on paper or cotton fabric.
- Storage. After complete drying, the stems are packed in paper bags, wrapped with film or cellophane on top. If it is planned to grind the raw material immediately after drying, it is necessary to prepare a sealed container to reduce the evaporation of the essential oil. In a dark and well-ventilated place, dried raw materials can be stored for two years.
Features Leaves are used for culinary purposes. They are torn from dried stems and crushed, and then added to dishes and sauces. But much more valuable for cooking are the fresh leaves of the plant, which freeze.
- Collect fresh leaves, separating them from the shoots.
- Wash with cold running water.
- Lay out on a paper towel with a thin layer or use a special "dryer" for fresh greens.
- After complete drying, the leaves are placed on a wide baking sheet and placed in a freezer.
- After an hour, they can be collected, folded in a container or package.
- Whole leaves are added to soups and salads, make out the flow of dishes, they shift multicomponent puff snacks.
Features For sauces, dressings, salads, cooking fish and meat freeze basil in the form of pasta. Chopped leaves are added to hot appetizers and dishes without defrosting.
- Fresh basil leaves are separated from the shoots, washed thoroughly with water, dried.
- Place in the bowl of the blender for maximum grinding.
- Add a small amount of olive oil, to a mushy consistency, mix thoroughly. (Oil allows you to keep juicy greens after freezing).
- The resulting paste is laid out in the form of ice.
- After 12 hours, the cubes are pulled out and put into a container or plastic bag.
Features In the case of the use of such seasoning it is important to be careful not to over-salt the dish.
- Fresh leaves are separated from the shoots, washed with cold water.
- Large metal knife cut into pieces up to 1 cm long.
- Put in a jar or container in layers, each of which is interspersed with fine salt.
- Store the workpiece in the refrigerator.
Especially valuable is the essential oil. Its amount in the plant ranges from 3.5% to 5%. The chemical composition is very complex, includes aromatic compounds of different nature. All volatile components, to a greater or lesser degree, have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, astringent properties and local irritating action. Most of all oil contains camphor.
In addition to ether, the plant contains a number of other useful substances:
- organic acids (malic and ascorbic),
- fatty acids (linoleic, linolenic, palmitic),
- complex of minerals (calcium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, iron).
Since ancient times, basil has been used in folk medicine for the treatment of skin diseases and digestive disorders. But over time, other healing properties of the culture have been proven. Thanks to the essential oil, the plant exhibits the following effects:
Tannins cause the binding effect of the plant, as a result of which the process of regeneration of the skin and epithelial tissue of mucous membranes is accelerated.
Organic acids - regulators of the biochemical composition of the blood - have hypoglycemic and cholesterol-lowering effects. Their molecules are structural elements of the vascular epithelium.
Sedative, cardiotonic, anti-ischemic effects of camphor allow basil to be used for cardiovascular disorders, disorders of the respiratory system, deterioration of peripheral blood flow.
The plant is useful for the prevention and treatment of the following ailments.
- Digestive organs. Basil stimulates the secretion of digestive glands, therefore it is indicated with a decrease in appetite, a feeling of heaviness after eating, flatulence, constipation. Anti-inflammatory effect of the plant allows basil to be used for gastritis, pancreatitis, colitis of different etiology. Antimicrobial properties are appropriate for dysbacteriosis and poisoning. Also, the spice is able to regulate lipid metabolism, accelerate the splitting and excretion of fats, because of which it is actively used for weight loss.
- Heart and vessels. Basil increases the tone of the vascular walls, improves the supply of oxygen to the myocardium, strengthens heart contractions, is able to lower blood pressure, and also eliminate platelet aggregation. Actively used for the prevention of hypertension and its treatment in the early stages, the prevention of thrombosis. The stimulating effect of the plant is appropriate for heart failure, varicose veins, tissue trophism disorders due to vascular insufficiency.
- Nervous system. Basil has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system. Increases the ability to concentrate, improves memory, normalizes sleep and the process of falling asleep. It has antidepressant properties. Eliminates spasms of cerebral vessels, which is why the plant is actively used to treat migraine pains. The stimulating effect allows the use of basil in case of poisoning with narcotic or hypnotic drugs.
- Skin and mucous membranes. The regenerating and antimicrobial action of basil is used to treat all skin lesions: wounds, abrasions, scratches, insect bites, burns, frostbite, fungal lesions. Also, the plant is used for stomatitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, sore throat, gum disease, to eliminate toothache. A positive effect is observed when treating with basil preparations such lesions as eczema, trophic ulcers, pressure sores, dermatitis.
Basil is used as a natural antibacterial, antiviral, diaphoretic. The ability of a plant to remove feverish conditions is known. Camphor has a mild expectorant effect. ENT diseases (otitis, rhinitis, sinusitis) are also treatable with basil. Due to its ability to stimulate the respiratory center of the brain, the plant is used in respiratory depression accompanying pneumonia.
In addition, basil is used as an anesthetic and as an anti-inflammatory agent for arthritis, arthritis, rheumatism, myalgia. Restorative properties allow the use of grass for the prevention of SARS.
The harm of basil is manifested when it is excessively consumed inside, and also if a person has an individual intolerance to this plant. This increases the risk of side effects: dyspeptic disorders, allergic reactions. Consciousness and heart rhythm disorders.
- myocardial infarction,
- suffered a stroke
Также фитосредство запрещено при беременности и лактации
Базилик душистый: описание растения
Базилик душистый – растение, которое сильно ветвится, высота его варьируется в пределах 30–60 см. Стебли этого растения прямые, имеют четыре грани, сильно разветвляются с основания. Листочки базилика – зелёного или фиолетового цвета, их форма – продолговато-яйцевидная. Листья растения длинные, их длина равна 5,5 см, имеют длинные черешки. Соцветие располагается на конце стебля, оно похоже на кисточку. Каждое соцветие имеет несколько цветков, окраска которых может быть белой, розовой или бело-фиолетовой.
Basil - a plant whose cup consists of two lips. The corolla is white and consists of five petals and four stamens. Leaves, stems and calyx have glands that contain essential oil. It is this oil that gives basil such an amazing smell and aroma. Basil blooms in the summer. Basil fruits are dry, breaking into 4 nuts.
Cultivation, care and collection of fragrant basil
Basil loves heat, so the most important conditions for the successful cultivation of this plant are sunny place, constant watering, warmth and excellent water permeability of the soil.
Basil grows well in a box or pot, in which there is a light structural soil. Basil, which is grown in a container, must be fertilized. The best fertilizer for basil is nitric (it is a stimulator of green mass growth). In winter, basil can be kept in pots on the kitchen window sill (if there is a backlight) or just in a warm place.
If you decide to grow basil on the beds, the best neighborhood for him is tomatoes, asparagus, cabbage and peppers.
Harvesting basil depends on what part of the plant you need. For example, if you need greens, then the main stem does not need to be cut. To do this, you must constantly cut off the top shoots of plants that have several leaves. If you collect basil in this way, it will give green for a long time, and its storage will be long.
Want to collect a lot of basil for blanks? In this case, it is necessary to cut off the entire stem, but at the same time it is necessary to leave 4 leaflets from below (this is necessary so that new leaves will soon grow out of the sinuses).
Buds appear on the stems. If you grow basil for flowers, then leave them, and if you need basil on the leaves, then the buds that appear will immediately be cut off.
Useful properties of sweet basil
Basil has an antiseptic, analgesic, diaphoretic and bactericidal effect on the human body, and this plant is used as an expectorant, antispasmodic and digestive aid. The use of basil has a calming effect under stress. The plant normalizes the menstrual cycle, increases lactation, tones the body and neutralizes any poison. Basil is an aphrodisiac.
Sweet basil is used for influenza, colds, high body temperatures, insomnia and nervous disorders.
Application of sweet basil
Basil has long been used in traditional medicine as a remedy for the treatment of various diseases. The most common use of basil is to use it in the process of preparing healing balms, tinctures, decoctions and oils.
Back in ancient times, basil leaves and flowers were ground and combined with white sesame oil. Of these ingredients, medicine was prepared that helps with skin diseases and various burns.
An infusion made from basil flowers, which also includes black sesame seeds, helps to reduce body temperature. The same infusion is taken for colds as a prophylactic.
Weak pregnant women were helped by pounded basil leaves, mixed with milk (sour). This tool gave them strength, and during lactation - normalized and increased it.
To soften the corns, they use gruel, which is made from basil leaves and applied to the corns.
To relieve a headache, you need to grind the basil leaves and put the ground mass on the temples and the back of the head.
Tea made from dried flowers and basil leaves will help reduce pressure and give vitality.
To heal small wounds and cuts will help the bath with infusion of basil. To get rid of sweating feet and unpleasant smell, foot baths are used from the cold infusion of basil.
If a person suffers from a cold, then basil will help here: you just need to inhale the scent from the leaves of the plant.
Infusion of basil. Infusion is used as an expectorant and sedative. To prepare it, you need to take 20 grams of flowers or leaves (both can be used) and pour one glass of boiled water, then put in a water bath for 15 minutes, then remove from the bath and leave to cool for 45 minutes. Do not forget to strain the finished infusion. This tool take daily 70 ml. Drink infusion for about 30 minutes before a meal.
Decoction. Broth helps with skin diseases, runny nose and as a means for washing the eyes. Take 15 grams of seeds or aerial parts of basil and pour a glass of boiling water, insist 30 minutes in a water bath, cool for 10 minutes and filter through gauze. This broth should be taken daily three times 70 ml before meals. If you want to apply this broth to rinsing eyes, then before using it you need to dilute with water in a one-to-one ratio (for example, take 10 grams of water for 10 grams of broth).
Fresh basil juice. You can make fresh juice from basil leaves and flowers to normalize digestion. You need to take it 3 times a day before meals, 20 ml. And to strengthen the teeth such juice should be kept in the mouth for 2 minutes - and so a few sips in a row.
Precautions and contraindications to the use of basil
Basil irritates the mucous membranes of all organs, for this reason it can not be used in large quantities. A person taking basil should be observed by a specialist doctor.
Basil oil is very dangerous in large doses. If you exceed the dose of basil oil, then it can lead to poisoning, there are also cases of death.
Essential oil of basil is prohibited for people who have diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
Basil should not be taken by pregnant women and people with impaired blood clotting rate, with vein thrombosis.
Education: A diploma in medicine and treatment was obtained at the NI Pirogov University (2005 and 2006). Advanced training at the Department of Phytotherapy at the Moscow University of Peoples' Friendship (2008).
Basil was first found in the tropical territory of Asia. In India and Iran, culinary masters and doctors have been using it for over 5 thousand years. In the cuisine of the peoples of the Mediterranean, the plant occupies a leading place among spices for its unusual taste and aroma. Translated from the Greek word "basil" means "king."
Basil is a herbaceous plant, reaching a height of 50 cm. It blooms in small flowers of white, light purple or pink flowers. The leaves have green or purple hues. In total, there are about 70 species of plants, which differ in appearance, taste and smell. There are many essential oils in the basilica that give it a unique smell.
Basil is rich in many useful organic and mineral substances, so necessary for the human body. In this medicinal herb found:
- carbohydrates that are easily absorbed by the body, and when splitting release energy,
- vitamins A, B2, K and C, contributing to the normal work of the body,
- oils that moisturize the skin and prevent its aging,
- ethers that positively affect the heart muscle,
- tannins with anti-inflammatory and improving blood clotting,
- rutin, which improves blood quality and strengthens the walls of blood vessels,
- flavonoids - compounds that prevent the occurrence of tumors and regulate metabolism,
- substances of mineral origin (potassium, iron, zinc and others).
It is important to emphasize that the beneficial properties of dried basil are in no way inferior to the qualities of a fresh plant. The difference is only in the content of vitamin C: fresh it is more. Basil green has the same beneficial qualities as purple. Green has a less pronounced flavor than violet, which also has a sharper flavor. There is lemon basil, it has the same properties, but it is endowed with a strongly pronounced refreshing aroma.
Useful properties of basil green and purple
Scientists and physicians have identified a number of properties inherent in all types of basil, the main of which are listed below:
- the plant strengthens the heart and improves its work,
- prevents premature aging of the skin,
- does not allow atherosclerosis to develop, strengthens blood vessels and reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood,
- prevents the development of cancer,
- boosts immunity and does not allow the development of pathogenic bacteria (enterococcus, staphylococcus and others),
- normalizes the digestive tract, prevents inflammation of the mucous membrane and the phenomena of flatulence,
- positive effect on blood clotting,
- is the prevention of hemorrhoids,
- relieves arthritis,
- has a pronounced anti-inflammatory properties,
- the plant is considered a good remedy for depression,
- has a healing effect on the oral cavity,
- beneficial effect on vision,
- relieves headache.
This is not a complete list of the beneficial properties of basil, but impressive. What is its use still?
Photo of basil
Who has not yet seen what basil looks like, we present its photos:
For therapeutic purposes, basil should not be taken longer than 21 days. Otherwise it is possible addiction and accumulation of specific chemicals in the body.
Features It is used in gastric and intestinal disorders, poisoning, to eliminate headaches, catarrhal diseases, as well as for rinsing the throat, washing wounds.
Preparation and use
- Two teaspoons of chopped herbs pour a cup of boiling water.
- Put the mixture in a water bath, heat for ten minutes.
- Insist one hour, then strain and squeeze the cake.
- In case of digestive disorders, headache, cold, drink a sip during the day. Rinse the throat or treat the wound three times a day. To treat toothache, add a teaspoon of salt and vinegar to the resulting broth and rinse your mouth throughout the day.
Features It is used for bloating, poor digestion, nausea, painful periods, as well as disorders of the nervous system.
Preparation and use
- A tablespoon of raw materials pour a glass of boiling water.
- Leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Add honey to taste.
- Drink no more than two cups per day.
Features It is used for the preparation of ointments, as well as used in its pure form.
Preparation and use
- Dried vegetable raw materials are ground in a mortar to obtain a homogeneous powder.
- For the treatment of skin lesions, it is mixed with any ointment base (petroleum jelly, baby cream), observing a 1: 1 ratio. Apply to the affected area and cover with gauze. Use three times a day. Pure powder is smelled to cause sneezing during rhinitis, as well as to eliminate and prevent motion sickness in transport.
Features It is used in diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract, and is also used externally.
Preparation and use
- Fresh leaves are washed with cold water.
- Grind to a pasty state with a blender.
- Place the resulting slurry in cheesecloth, folded several times.
- Carefully squeeze the juice into a clean glass container.
- Applied externally for skin diseases. Drops in two drops in the ear with otitis. Take orally for a teaspoon twice a day for kidney disease.
Role in cooking
Basil is an essential attribute of Mediterranean cuisine. The plant is actively used for flavoring dishes from fish, meat and even some confectionery. The herb stimulates digestion, which is why it simply needs to be served as an appetizer to fatty dishes (kebab, stewed, baked meat).
The specific flavor makes the culture indispensable as a flavoring for pickles: tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, zucchini. Crushed leaves are included in the classic composition of many herbal spices, pastry, sauces.
A few leaves, added to the usual soup, will make it almost an Italian dish. By the way, this plant is one of the main ingredients of the famous Margherita pizza.
Use in cosmetology
Herbal medicine is used for beauty because it contains antioxidants, tannins and antibacterial components.
- For hair . The use of essential oil of basil allows you to strengthen the roots, eliminate brittleness and excessive fat content of the strands. To do this, add an ethereal extract to the shampoo, balm or mask at the rate of three to four drops per 10 g of the original product.
- For face . Basil extracts are used to create anti-aging products. Thanks to them, it is possible to significantly improve the skin color, eliminate lethargy, make mimic wrinkles less noticeable. Leaves decoction treat dermatosis, acne, acne, acne.
Using basil for treatment is best to start with small doses. If allergies occur, consult a doctor.
Useful properties of basil for women
In all types of basil revealed beneficial properties for women. Its application can bring many benefits to the female body.
- It relieves pain in PMS. The pains that women experience before menstruation are not so severe. The general mood improves and vivacity appears. During PMS and menstruation women should use more greens of basil. With its help, iron deficiency, which was removed from the body with blood loss, will be replenished.
- Help with cystitis. For therapeutic purposes, you need 1 tbsp. a spoonful of crushed leaves pour a glass of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Before use, cool the broth and filter through 2 layers of gauze. Take three times a day, 50 g of broth.
- Plant seeds for weight loss. Women often suffer from overweight and want to get rid of pounds. It turns out that this can be achieved with the help of basil seeds, which are able to normalize the metabolism. We prepare the infusion as follows: take 1 teaspoon of seeds and pour 100 ml of heated water over them, mix. After 5-10 minutes, the seeds swell. After we add yoghurt to the infusion and drink it as a breakfast. For weight loss is also recommended to take baths with basil leaves. Thanks to this procedure, toxic compounds can be removed from the body and swelling can be removed.
Interesting Basilica Facts
- Rayhon repels insect pests and even causes the death of some of them.
- If you put a few dried leaves of basil in the closet, then the mole will not appear, and things will get a pleasant aroma.
- Residents of India believe that Reagan gives divine protection, as it enhances immunity and cleans the aura.
- Basil attracts insects to the site, therefore it is considered a honey plant.
- A mixture of rosemary and raykhona is used as a seasoning during a salt-free diet.
- With the seeds and leaves of the Reagan, traditional healers have always healed sprains and bruises.
Basil, of course, is a valuable plant with a large number of useful properties, respected and revered since ancient times. However, its use can bring not only benefit, but also harm. That is why it is important not to self-medicate, but to discuss the possibility of using any drugs (even herbal medicines) with a doctor.
Useful properties for men
What is basil for the stronger sex?
- Violet basil is an indispensable tool that successfully fights impotence. Active acids "royal herbs" increase blood circulation, help maintain blood sugar levels. Blood flows well to the male genital organ, increasing libido and increasing potency. To enhance potency, you should drink basil tea twice a day. When preparing it, 30 g of dry leaves pour 500 ml boiling water. Then you need to insist the solution for 35 minutes and filter. Drink the liquid should be a couple of receptions, after adding there the same honey or lemon juice.
- Basil allows a man to be more collected, which is necessary when he is on the road. Substances that are in the grass, help to concentrate attention, give energy and good mood.
- Dried basil can help get rid of fatty folds on the stomach. Prepare the infusion as follows. Its seeds can burn off excess fat, especially if you do not forget about exercise.
- Basil is able to recuperate after increased physical or nervous overloads, due to the content of a group of vitamins and iron.
- This spicy herb can strengthen nerves, normalize sleep and smooth out the effects of stressful situations.
Basil has such useful qualities for the male body, and why its presence in the diet of the stronger sex is so important.
Application of seeds for slimming plants
To make your figure different elegance, pay attention to the seeds of Thai basil. For this purpose, you need to prepare a dessert of coconut milk. Seeds are poured with hot water and give time to swell. After that, the water is drained, and coconut milk is poured into the seeds. Drink becomes even tastier if you add jasmine buds or rose petals to it.
Thanks to the seeds of Thai basil, cholesterol can be removed from the body, speed up the metabolism, remove excess fluid and harmful compounds.
The beneficial properties of fresh basil will help you cope with kidney stones. Перед едой нужно съедать по 7-8 листьев. Сок растения активизирует выделение желчи. Если принимать в течение 5 месяцев смесь, состоящую из сока базилика и меда в одинаковых долях, то можно навсегда забыть о камнях в почках.
Для улучшения зрения
Зрение можно укрепить, если регулярно есть листья в свежем виде. Чтобы глаза не уставали, приготовьте настой по следующему рецепту: 2 ст. ложки зелени или сушеного сырья залейте 1500 мл кипящей воды. Затем остудите и профильтруйте, после чего промойте этим настоем глаза или положите компрессы на веки два раза в день. После 12-дневного курса делаем перерыв на неделю, а затем курс лечения повторяется. With this tool it is easy to remove the burning sensation in the eyes and prevent inflammation of the eyelids.
To improve immunity
We take 15 g of dried leaves, we rub them into powder. Then brew 200 ml of boiling water. After 20 minutes of infusion, cooling and filtering, the medicine is ready for use. You need to drink three times a day, 50 ml after a meal.
In addition to the healing qualities, basil is also credited with magical properties. It is argued that it can strengthen the marital bond, increase the strength of mind and mood, draw wealth and good fortune into your home, keep peace in the house. Moreover, some believe that the use of basil can give a person the ability to clairvoyance. It should be planted in the house a few basil plants in pots. Then you will have everything: health, love, money, peace, harmony, understanding and good mood.
Some species have the form of dwarf shrubs. Stems reach a height of 0.4-0.8 m and have a dark green color. The stem has branches, but not more than a few rows of lateral branches.
The basil leaves are oblong, oval-shaped in shape, reaching several centimeters in length. They have a light green color, although in some species they are even purple. The leaves are planted on short cuttings. On the stem and on the leaves are special glands with essential oils.
Flowering basil falls on the last month of summer. Its flowers are small, 5 mm each, painted white or pink. They are collected in inflorescences, reaching up to 0.3 m in length.
At the beginning of autumn there is a formation of fruits, which are represented by very small black nuts.
Basil roots are branched, located in the upper part of the soil.
In total, about 70 species are observed in the genus. However, only a few are most popular:
- Basil Genoa (Ocimum basilicum): the most famous species, represented by annual plants with dark green leaves and white flowers. The length reaches 0.6 m. The view is very fragrant. The Genoese basil has large oval-shaped leaves, sharpened at the tips. They have a slightly convex shiny surface. The view is very popular in Italy, so it is the hallmark of Italian cuisine. In German, Genoese basil is called Gew? Hnliches Basilikum, Suppenbasil, Braunsilge, in English - sweet basil, in French - basilic, grand basilic.
- Green Curly Basil (Ocimum basilicum ‘Green Ruffles’): This look has a very strong flavor with a sweetish hint. The yield of such basil is very high. He is loved most of all in England. The species is represented by annual bushy plants, reaching half a meter in height. The leaves are large, have a curly edge and lime color. There are related curly species with purple or reddish-brown leaves.
- Provencal basil (Ocimum basilicum): originated from the southern regions of France. Brings high yields, has narrow and smooth leaves of medium size with cloves at the edges. This species also has an intense aroma and is represented by squat annuals.
There are other types of basil:
- basil "Fino Verde" (Ocimum basilicum): has an intense aroma and small leaves of a dark green color,
- Greek bushy basil (Ocimum basilicum var. minimum): the species is represented by annual bushy plants that grow in spherical shape. The height reaches 0.4 m. The leaves are small, have a strong aroma,
- Turkish bushy basil (Ocimum basilicum var. minimum): sweet aroma, very small leaves,
- lemon basil (Ocimum species): as the name implies, it has notes of lemon in flavor. In height reaches 0.4 m, has narrow leaves,
- Mexican spicy basil (Ocimum basilicum): it has notes of cinnamon in the aroma and stem of red color,
- Thai basil (Ocimum basilicum): an annual plant with notes of pepper in the taste and aroma of anise. The leaves are sharpened, and the flowers are colored in red,
- Thai basil "Siam Queen": similar to the previous species, only with darker leaves. It has anise and liquorice flavor,
- Wild Basil (Ocimum americanum): It has the aroma of pimento and flowers painted in purple tones. It tastes like a mixture of mint and ginger,
- Willows purple basil (Ocimum canum x basilicum): massive plant with a bright aroma. It has red leaves and pink flowers,
- African Blue Basil (Ocimum kilimandscharicum x basilicum): has green leaves with red veins. It tastes bitter, it smells like a mixture of clove, anise and mint,
- Cypriot bushy basil (Ocimum species): it has large fleshy leaves and a bright basil scent,
- Russian bushy basil (Ocimum basilicum v.): has medium-sized and green leaves and has a strong aroma,
- Cuban bush basil (Ocimum basilicum v.): almost does not bloom, but has a strong aroma,
- Basil Rotes Lesbos (Ocimum basilicum): its leaves are red-green and mottled. The flowers are painted in pink tones,
- Corfu Bush Basil (Ocimum basilicum ssp. minimum): it has fragrant and tender leaves of small size and light green color,
- East Indian Eugenolian Basil (Ocimum gratissimum): it has large lowered leaves, there are clove notes in the aroma,
- Indian Basil, or Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum): he has a red-violet stem, leaves are green with red veins. It has a strong spicy flavor, but is more often used in religious ceremonies.
Where is growing?
The plant is thermophilic, so its growing regions are predominantly southern. There are suggestions that Africa turned out to be the historic homeland of the basilica, however, according to some opinions, it can be considered as Asia.
Now basil is common in tropical and temperate regions. It is more common in the countries of the Old World (southern European countries, Africa).
How and where to choose a spice?
You can appreciate the quality of basil by eye. Basil tends to wilt quickly, so when choosing it fresh, you need to take this into account. High-quality dried basil is a large pieces of leaves without any side impurities. It has a strong aroma, and the leaves themselves have a purple or dark green color.
You can buy fresh or dried basil at any supermarket or at spice shops.
Basil has the following characteristics:
- is a spice present in the cuisines of the world,
- has a medicinal effect
- It can be used both by itself and in combination with other herbs.
Nutritional value and calorie
In 100 grams of fresh basil contains 23 kcal.
The nutritional value of the product is as follows:
- proteins - 3.15 g,
- fat - 0.64 g,
- carbohydrates - 2.65 g,
- dietary fiber - 1.6 g,
- ash - 1.49 g,
- water - 92,06 g,
- monosaccharides and disaccharides - 0.3 g,
- saturated fatty acids - 0.041 g.
You can learn more about the basilica and its properties from the passage "Live great!"