Probably, each of us has associated white geese with the famous children's fairy tale about a little boy Niels, who flew a very long distance on Martin’s back to find the gnome and apologize to him. In the fairy tale, birds were noble and love free. And what are really white geese? Let's talk about this in detail.
White Geese Breeds
I must say that all breeds of geese have their own classification. We will not go into this topic, because we are interested only in white birds. Conventionally, geese are divided into wild species and breeds for breeding. So the wild white birds became the prototype of the fabulous birds.
And from breeds for cultivation by light plumage Italian, Ural, Emdensky, Holmogorsky (individuals can be of three colors, including white) can boast.
Wild geese: habitats
Wild white geese are very beautiful birds that belong to the duck family. They nest in the north of Greenland, in Canada, in the east of Siberia. They can also be seen on Wrangel Island, in Yakutia and in Chukotka. By the way, Wrangel Island is their favorite place. And the reason for this is the fact that snow falls here much earlier than in other northern territories, therefore, geese migrate to the south in winter. Usually they choose the land of the United States, where they are located near the coastal lagoons.
Appearance of white geese
The white goose is a rather small bird. The length of the body is from 60 to 75 centimeters, and the weight does not exceed three kilograms. An interesting fact is that the wingspan of these creatures is two times larger than themselves. Although geese have snow-white plumage, there are still black streaks at the tips of the wings. In addition, there is a black spot near the beak itself. The paws of birds are usually pink in color, although they are short, but rather strong. A white goose usually has a rather short neck and a rounded tail. Males are slightly larger than females.
White geese are migratory birds, they fly beautifully, but at the same time, having reached puberty, they try to lead a more settled way of life. This feature is more characteristic of females, independently choosing their own place for the nest. It happens that there is not enough space for all individuals, then these friendly creatures begin to show aggression, because they instinctively protect their territory and offspring. These birds are inherent in plucking each other feathers. As a rule, this happens when hostility is shown towards unwanted guests. However, such conflicts can occur within the pack. Expressing aggression, geese are thus trying to establish a certain hierarchy.
Breeding wild white geese
White geese (photos are given in the article) are amazingly devoted creatures. They choose a mate for life. Birds are trying to keep the pack, because to survive in the wild is very difficult. There are even cases when geese created colonies consisting of several thousand nests.
The female usually lays between four and six eggs in a beige or white color. And then incubates them for 21 days. Soon goslings appear. The males, of course, do not participate in the process of hatching, but at the same time they are always somewhere nearby, because at any moment the children may be in danger, then the fathers will come to the rescue.
Sometimes geese can lay their eggs in other people's nests. However, this fact does not mean that they are bad moms. Everything is much easier. They simply could not find the free space, and therefore decide to use the neighboring nests. However, good neighbors can not throw someone else's offspring, and therefore they hatch both their own and those of others.
In the pack, together with family females, there may be lonely geese who have no partner at this stage. For such individuals begins men's wrestling. In the end, she chooses a pair. Geese never leave their nests during the incubation period. The main and most dangerous enemy of birds are shaggy foxes, which at any time can make their way to the little ones. That is why females do not take their eyes off the offspring. Yes, and seagulls can be dangerous, because they love to eat something tasty.
Birds reach sexual maturity at three years. At this time, they can already create families, but they never leave the pack. In principle, geese can live for twenty years. During the whole time they remain energetic and active.
Italian geese (white) became known not so long ago. The breed was bred in Italy at the beginning of the last century. At first, the birds were bred only in the habitat of their ancestors. However, the breed soon became so popular that it became widespread in neighboring regions. And in 1975, white Italian geese were brought to the USSR. Many years have passed since then, and the breed has been bred in all corners of the Earth, since it is considered to be especially valuable.
Although the Italian (white) geese were bred in a warm country, they tolerate a more severe climate. With their breeding there is no trouble. The birds of this breed are distinguished by a particularly developed instinct for hatching eggs.
Italian geese are distinguished by their truly white color. They have a small but rather thick neck, medium eyes, a small body. Like other geese, birds of this breed have a bright orange color of legs, very strong, but short. The wings are highly developed, and the tail is slightly raised. At the same time the birds look very graceful. When a white goose swims, he does it very proudly, like a swan.
Adults reach six to seven kilograms, females are slightly smaller. Birds of this breed are bred not only because of their tender meat, but also because of their high productivity in laying eggs. In one cycle, a goose can produce up to forty-five eggs. They all have an average size. Only seventy percent can get offspring. Caring for chicks is not difficult. They grow quite quickly, and by two months their weight reaches four kilograms.
Feature of the Italian breed
Italian geese not only differ in appearance from other breeds. The main feature of the birds is their tasty meat and liver. Gourmets, for some reason, most of all appreciate the goose liver pate (the liver makes up only 7% of the body weight). However, poultry meat in any case has excellent taste characteristics.
In addition, you can also get feather and down from beautiful birds. Within one year, one individual is able to give two hundred grams of feathers and one hundred grams of fluff.
Italian geese are completely unpretentious, as evidenced by numerous positive reviews. Birds can be kept even without a reservoir, although its presence greatly simplifies care. It is necessary to have a spacious pen, and whenever possible to let the birds walk on the lawn. Juveniles grow very quickly and without any problems. Small goslings should be protected from drafts and significant temperature drops.
What are good Italian geese? The white swan will envy their stamina. Geese, oddly enough, quite calmly endure low temperatures and can even walk in cold snow.
For young individuals in the diet certainly need to include a large number of green fodder. And to get a good liver is recommended to give peas and corn. An interesting fact is that when keeping different species of birds in one farm, Italian geese always keep separate, preferring a community of representatives of their own breed.
Males may occasionally show aggression, especially noticeable in the mating season. To grow good offspring, incubators are usually used. In large farms, white geese are often crossed with representatives of other breeds. For example, a mixture of Italian species with Rhine individuals gives young offspring with excellent characteristics.
Ural white geese (Shadrinsky) descend from gray birds that once nested in Siberia and the Urals. The breed is perfectly acclimatized for harsh conditions.
The birds of this breed have a small head, a short neck, the length of which is due to a smaller number of vertebrae. The body of the Ural birds is of medium length, and the legs are short. Legs and beak, usually orange. But the plumage may be different. There is a gray, white goose and even chess.
Ganders reach six kilograms, females have a more modest weight - up to five kilograms. One layer is able to give from 25 to 30 eggs. The advantage of the breed is a good incubation instinct in females. The young growth is growing very fast; at the age of five months the goslings reach five kilograms in weight. Birds are great for eating green grass and cereal waste.
Geese, like other birds, are susceptible to various diseases. The most dangerous for them is diarrhea. It is especially scary for young goslings, because they do not yet have a stable immunity, the body is still weak to cope with the disease. Adults are not so susceptible to such things.
The causes of diarrhea in goslings are many:
Hypothermia leads to indigestion, because the body is not yet ready for new conditions.
Poisoning can occur if the goslings have eaten rough or stale food. Juveniles still have a very tender stomach, food is reflected in their overall well-being. Babies should be fed only finely ground food.
The most dangerous infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. This may be pasteurellosis, colibacteriosis, salmonellosis, enteritis.
The presence of parasites (helminthiasis).
In all these cases, there is fetid diarrhea, the temperature may rise, a bloody impurity, weakness, lethargy, loss of appetite may appear.
White diarrhea in geese - pullorosis (bacillary diarrhea). This is an acute infectious disease that affects parenchymal organs and the intestines. The causative agent of the disease is the stick pullorum or salmonella gallinarum. They can persist in the soil for up to a year and up to 25 days on eggs. Therefore, it is easy enough to catch them with birds.
The smallest individuals are very susceptible to the disease (in the first days of life). At three months of age, the risk of injury is much less. The source of infection is droppings of ill individuals. Geese carry infected eggs for two years. The emergence of the disease contributes to hypothermia, improper feeding and other provoking factors.
There are acute and chronic condition. In the sharp goslings are sleepy and inactive, they just stand in groups, drawing the neck in. In this case, babies breathe heavily with an open beak and eyes closed. White diarrhea soon appears. The disease is ruining a lot of goslings. In those farms where an outbreak of infection occurred, all youngsters are destroyed. And adults are examined every twelve days until they receive negative results.
Even in young geese, hymenolepiasis can occur, occurring 25 days after swimming in dysfunctional ponds. Kids swallow infected mollusks, as a result of which the disease begins to develop. It manifests itself in the appearance of diarrhea, slimming individuals, lethargy.
What is the treatment of geese?
For the treatment of diseases in birds use antibiotics: chlortetracycline, oxytetracycline, penicillin. If the cause of poor health are parasites, then use anthelmintic drugs. In order to protect the birds from the appearance of pasteurellosis, you can use vaccination. However, this method can be applied only after the main treatment.
In order to avoid problems with the intestines, it is very responsible to approach the feeding of goslings. In their diet must be present boiled potatoes, crushed cereal feed, fresh herbs, wheat bran, cake, skim milk. In the first month of life, young animals are fed up to seven times a day, until they get a little stronger and the work of the stomach and intestines is adjusted. Proper nutrition should certainly be in those birds that are infected with parasites. In addition to treatment with anthelmintic drugs, their diet should be revised.
Wild geese are widespread throughout the Northern Hemisphere, as well as in South America, Australia and the African continent. Breeds of geese living in northern latitudes are migratory, and residents of the warm southern climate prefer a sedentary and territorial lifestyle. Depending on the breed, birds can live near the rivers, in the steppes, on the high plateaus and in the forest marshland.
Representatives of the Pereyaslav breed have not bad egg production rates - from 70 to 90 eggs, if there is enough food and good care. The body weight of adults reaches 6 kg.
Possessing low meat indices, Pereyaslav birds are still very popular among breeders: they do not require large enclosures, are unpretentious to feed, the young have a good percentage of survival and quickly gain slaughter weight. In summer, they can be kept only on pasture, without additional feed.
Curly breed has many names: Astrakhan, silky, Turkish, ribbon. Birds are more decorative: the weight of an adult rarely exceeds 5 kg, the egg production is only 20 eggs per year. However, they are bred for the sake of a beautiful feather and unusual appearance. The plumage is snow-white, and the feather of the wing, shoulders, tail and back is long, wavy, silky.
Feathers are often used for making jewelry, and down is used as a filler for pillows and blankets.
Large domestic breeds
Domestic geese there are several dozen species that grow up to 10 kg. Consider the largest and most profitable in terms of profitability of the breed.
One of the earliest ripening eggs with the tenderest poultry meat. It possesses highly productive characteristics. The species was selected in the 40s of the last century in Germany. After 30 years, the birds appeared in Hungary, where they gained world fame, and then gained recognition in Russia.
Appearance. They have snow-white feathers (interspersed with colored feathers is considered a marriage), a compact head on an average neck length, a convex chest and a small body with two folds of fat on the abdomen. Legs and beak of red color. Eyes blue with an orange eyelid. In young plumage yellow with dark spots on the back.
Productivity The mass of the live gander is 7 kg, the geese are more graceful - 5, 6 kg. With a relatively small size have a liver weighing 400 grams. Egg production: 50-60 pieces per year cycle, egg weight - 170 gr.
Content. Do not require special care. They love grazing and ponds. However, they feel great in cages (during fattening), unlike other pedigree geese, they are not capricious in feeding and do not get sick.
Reproduction. Eggs are productive, although the fertilizing qualities of the gander are not very high (one year old - 65%, repeater - 40% less). Of the fertilized eggs, 70% of the chicks hatch, the viability of the offspring is almost one hundred percent (95 -97%). The geese have a low incubation instinct, therefore the goslings are hatched with the help of an incubator.
Pros . The main positive features of the content of the Rhine breed geese:
- earliness (by 3 months the weight of a goose can reach 4 kg),
- dietary meat without fat,
- large liver for delicacies,
- egg production,
Care is simple. If there are available small fields with fresh grass and inexpensive fodder (silage, puny grain, etc.), then feeding and breeding the breed will be a cheap and economically profitable business.
African geese are heavy and meaty breeds of geese. The name was not at all due to habitat. These are close relatives of the Chinese saplings from Asia. It is believed that the breed was brought to North America by ship. Disputes about the origin are ongoing today.
External features. The color of feathers in birds is gray, gray-brown with a brown tint, which makes them more attractive and majestic. A distinctive feature is the large frontal lump, which increases with age and the black stripe, descending from the head to the back. There is a podklyuvny purse. The body of the goose is wide, powerful, not having fatty folds on the stomach. The head is of medium size with a black beak, set on a long, thick neck. African geese, depending on their appearance, have a few more species:
- American Buff (fawn),
- super african goose (white).
Productivity The weight of a gander can reach 11 kg, goose 9 kg. When fattening there are representatives weighing 13 kg. It is important to know that the offspring of some individuals of “Africans” is rather weak and can develop very slowly: they reach maturity by the age of 2–3 years.. Low egg production: 20 maximum 40 very large eggs, up to 225 grams per year. It is considered a long-liver and produces eggs for several years.
Content. Как и другие виды гусей, африканские предпочитают выпас и купание. При содержании в клетках они жиреют. Хотя африканцы очень выносливые при морозах отмораживают складку под клювом, поэтому держать зимой нужно только в закрытом теплом помещении. В качестве еды предпочитают травы и разнообразные комбикорма.
Преимущества породы . Птица красива и необычна, но выращивается в основном на мясо, хотя дает прекрасный пух и перья. Она обладает выносливостью и активностью.
When choosing this breed for a farm, it is not worth buying birds with a narrow head and neck, a lowered tail and pronounced carinae touching the ground.
They were bred in the 17th century as a fighting bird capable of participating in battles that were so loved by rich merchants. The breed is well developed muscles, they are not capricious in food and content. They have excellent meat with evenly distributed fat.
In comparison with other breeds, the Tula representative is active and fast; therefore, it grows and gains weight much more slowly than congeners. The mass of the average male is 9 kg, goose is 6 kg. Egg production is also quite low: no more than 27 eggs per year.
A special feature is the humpbacked and short beak.
The positive qualities include: good immunity - they suffer from diseases, they are not afraid of frosts, and the feminine instinct of motherhood is at a high level in females.
They occupy not the last place among farmers. They were obtained at the beginning of the 20th century by crossing Romain and Toulouse birds. Therefore, they have the features of their ancestors: a wide massive body, a strong neck and a small head, a beak and legs of orange color. The abdomen is provided with small fat folds, the wings are strong, the color of feathers is gray. Their character is quarrelsome and obstinate.
Since the breed was bred to obtain meat, fat and liver, the live weight of these birds is at least 9 kg in males, and 7 kg in females. Egg production in a species with good care and feeding can reach 60 eggs per year.
The positive qualities of the breed include:
- fast growth,
- tasty nutritious meat
- impartiality to feed,
- can do without a reservoir,
- gray geese are good mothers.
The negative side is considered a weak immune system, do not tolerate drafts and frost.
It is impossible to release gray geese on reservoirs with dirty and stagnant water, intestinal infections threatening birds, and also to leave in the summertime in the midday heat - they can get heatstroke.
They were derived in Italy with the aim of increasing the level of meat productivity and not only: the priority is not tasty and tender meat, but a large liver, which is 7% of the live weight of the bird.
The main features of this species are: long-term economic use, the rapid growth of goslings, which in 4 months can weigh 4 kg. Egg production is high: up to 55 eggs per year. Italians are independent and active, however, other birds are avoiding the compound, and often behave aggressively, defending their territory.
External distinguishing features: there is no cone typical for geese on the forehead and a purse under the beak, the color of the feathers is white. Often serve as a basis for breeding other goose breeds.
Large breed, enjoying enviable popularity among breeders. Birds of this species are considered one of the best breeds in the world. Bred by breeders in 1994 by mating Russian and waterfowl Chinese geese. Improvement of the species occurred through the addition of genes from the Largesky and Arzamask breed. This served to improve the quality of feathers and down. In Russia, this poultry makes up about 50% of the total number of goose waterfowl.
Main indicators: a low powerful body with white plumage, there is a characteristic bump above the beak, the head is large, the neck is thick, of medium length.
The positive qualities of the breed include:
- rapid growth and weight gain (in 5 months there are 7 kg.),
- egg production (above 50 eggs per year, almost all fertilized),
- unpretentiousness in feeding,
- fatty meat, excellent taste,
- good temper
The negative qualities of the breed are considered to be that goslings often suffer from hymenolepiasis, a helminthiasis caused by a dwarf chain parasitizing the intestines of birds and humans. This disease is fatal to chicks. Also, Linda loves to swim and the presence of a reservoir, even a small artificial one, is vital for them.
One of the oldest breeds, which appeared in Germany, in the city of Emden, after which it is named. The appearance of a bird is usual for large geese: a broad, large body, covered with white feathers, with a small fat fold under the belly. The head is of medium size with deep-set eyes, there is a purse under the red beak, the paws are orange.
The species is early and heavy: the male is 10-11 kg, the female is 8 kg. Goose carries up to 30 eggs per year. Goslings in two months reach 4 kg. Especially fast the birds gain weight on green lawns, and with increased fattening, it increases more quickly. Their meat is excellent with a high content of trace elements.
Emden birds have a good immunity, they are resistant to various infections and parasites, if they are constantly outdoors.
Legards - one of the best and most beautiful breeds, recognized by the world. Homeland birds - Denmark. They belong to large breeds of geese. On average, ganders can gain up to 8 kg, goose slightly less - 7 kg. The body of the representatives of the Danish leggars is medium-sized, but muscular, the neck is of medium length; there is a small fat fold on the abdomen. The plumage is white. Special feature: blue eyes.
Geese bring up to 40 eggs per year, the mass of each reaches 200 hundred grams. There are not many fertilized eggs: a little more than half - 60%, but the offspring is strong and durable. Mass gaining fast: 10 weekly goose weighs 6 kg.
The content of the breed does not cause any special difficulties: feed is required 20% less than other species. Even the Legards have a balanced character, they are not noisy and not aggressive, they calmly relate to other domestic animals, and do not attack people.
The governor's goose was bred by crossing Shadrinsk and Italian individuals, registered as a separate breed by the Ministry of Agriculture in 2011.
Externally, the gubernatorial representatives are not very different from the progenitors: a neat body, a broad protruding chest, a beak and legs of an orange tint, a down of a branched constitution and high thermal insulation. Goslings are early ripening and at 2 months can have a weight of 4 kg. Goose egg production: up to 40-50 eggs per year.
The advantage of the governors lies in the efficiency of keeping (egg production, weight), survival and the rapid growth of goslings, covering the cost of feed with production output from geese (meat, eggs, fluff).
Divorced on the territory of Ukraine. Industrial value is not used and grown mainly in private farms. Used for breeding with other species.
External characteristics of the breed: turned head, beak short, red, under which there is a small fold-wallet. The feathered neck is not very thick, the body is oval, squat, legs short, set wide, orange. The average gander weight is 6.5 kg, the goose weight is 5 kg. With good feeding, the weight increases by 2 kg. Egg production in geese is rather low: a maximum of 25 eggs.
The main positive features of Mirgorod geese are: easy maintenance, precociousness, 80% survival rate of goslings, frost resistance. However, despite the quality, the breed is not popular, and its population decreases with each passing year. Bird breeders prefer larger and meat geese.
Landa breed geese bred by French poultry farmers to get a delicious liver, from which a variety of pastes are prepared. Ancestor of the Toulouse Goose breed.
External characteristics. Muscular body, small flat head, on a strong short neck. The beak of the goose is red, there is no wallet under it, the eyes are black, set wide apart, the legs are short red, the feather is dark and light gray. The abdomen has two folds of fat and is covered with white down.
Productivity Birds grow rapidly, and by the age of 2 months the mass of the live female is 5 kg, and the gander is 8 kg, sometimes the weight of the liver reaches 800 grams. In the annual period, the Landa goose blows up to 30 eggs, weighing up to 170 grams.
The world record weight Landa goose was 14 kg.
Content. To get the liver, goslings are kept in special cages and fed by the hour. Milk is added to slaughter for meat. Their food efficiency depends on the proper nutrition of geese. Overfeeding birds is also not recommended. In the enclosures should be tanks for swimming.
Small goslings cannot be fed with sticky feeds: when they eat their nostrils clog up, in which a serious inflammatory process occurs. Malnutrition food from the trough is removed, otherwise it will deteriorate, and the use of sour food can cause diarrhea in goslings.
Reproduction. Geese can independently produce offspring, but it has poor health and half often die. A gander is able to fertilize a flock of geese.
Breed advantage The advantages of the breed include:
- big liver of birds
- early maturity
- the instinct of hatching in geese,
- gusk monogamy,
- calm character.
The disadvantages include the fact that geese often pass and grow fat, are ill, reduce performance without a pool and walking, the temperature in a flock in winter should not be below +10 ° C.
An old meat breed bred in Pskov. The bird is medium in size. The body setting is horizontal, the chest is rounded, the back is straight and wide, turning into a developed and mobile tail. On the belly is a double fold, the wings are firmly pressed to the body. Eyes are blue or brown. The tip of the red beak is light.
Feature Blue feather and white marking on the front and the back of the head, giving the impression of baldness. Therefore, he has two names: blue and bald.
Productivity At 3 months, the gosling weighs 4-4.5 kg, the volume of a mature bird reaches 8.5 kg — goose, 7.5 — goose. Egg production is low: only 20-25 pieces per year. It is worth noting that the females hatch the goslings themselves.
Objectives content. Preservation of the ancient appearance and color of plumage, meat output.
When grazing on green lawns, geese are perfectly gaining weight and do not require large expenditures on feed and tolerate frost well. They are not divorced on an industrial scale, but they are very popular in rural farms.
Small breeds of geese
The types of geese are diverse and among the representatives there are not only large individuals, who are happy to be bred by poultry farmers, but also small geese. It is known that the low weight of the goose does not indicate its disadvantages; on the contrary, birds are considered to be early ripening and grow faster. Also among the low weight geese there are many wild ones that are valuable for hunting enthusiasts.
And today, it is considered one of the best objects for hunting. Inhabits the Northern regions of Russia, the Caspian Sea, North America and Greenland. In the southern countries almost never occurs.
The feather color of the bird is brown, the down on the belly is white with dark patches, the beak is pink, based on a white spot, for which the goose got its name. The appearance of the beak is different depending on the type. The mass of an adult male reaches 3.5 kg, torso length: 60 -78 cm. It differs in precocity and by the 4th month it can weigh 4 kg.
As a result of the breeding work, the quality of the domestic representatives of the white-fronted geese was somewhat improved: they received excellent immunity, poor consistency and frost resistance of wild ancestors. In Russia, in households and poultry farms such a bird has not yet been found.
It belongs to the family of wild geese and is valued in hunting circles for juicy and tasty meat. External geese look more like a duck. The color of the plumage of an individual is black; sometimes there is a white rim on a short thin neck. The goose seems to be squat due to the short orange legs. The weight of an adult bird ranges from 1.5 to 2.5 kg, the size of the calf is 60 cm.
It inhabits the steppe tundra of Canada and North America. It eats only vegetable food.
The goose lays up to 5 eggs, of which small goslings appear. Gander at this time guards the nest. It must be said that the couple is monogamous and do not change each other even after the death of one of them.
Hunting black geese is prohibited by law.
The representative of the breed "Kucherbaevsky" obtained by trying to cross the Kuban ganders and Italian geese. It has a white plumage with gray spots. Bird belong to the average weight category. The body is medium, the breast is wide, pulled forward, the neck is long, the head is ordinary with a characteristic bump above the orange beak, which has a noticeable black speck on the tip.
The productivity of the species lies in the good quality of the meat, its rapid growth and weight gain: by the 5th month the goslings are hung up like an adult bird. The mass of a live gander is 6-7 kg, females 5.5 kg.
The positive qualities of the breed bred include the survivability of the offspring, endurance, ease of care, excellent fattening, economy in food. For example: at the beginning of summer you can buy birds of such a breed, feed them with grass with the addition of dry food and mash for fat content, and after 5 months get meat out, as with an adult bird.
The very first known wild representative of geese, tamed and domesticated by man. They are the founders of many species. They have a medium-sized, slightly elongated body, a rather long neck with a beautiful bend, a decent sized head with a forehead bump. The chest of the birds protrudes forward and smoothly passes into the stomach without fat folds. The beak of a medium-sized bird is bright orange or black, it depends on the color of the feather (black, white).
Geese productivity: Goose weight - 5 maximum 6 kg, geese - 5 kg. Egg production is very high: approximately 1 egg per week, or 60 -70 pieces per year. Fertilized from them can be found up to 80%, that is, from a clutch of 10 eggs - 8 will be exactly bred. The young growth is growing rapidly and reaches 3 - 3.5 kg by the age of three months.
Positive features are not only in the economic efficiency of the bird, but also in endurance, unpretentiousness in feed and maintenance. But, like most waterfowl, Chinese geese cannot live without ponds and swimming. The absence of this fact reduces the productivity of the bird.
The second name is the Ural goose. Actively divorced in Siberia and the Urals. The bird appeared in the household of man by taming the wild goose. After it was improved by crossing with other domestic geese.
Exterior breed. The head is compact, the neck is short, there are peculiar protuberances on the chest, the wings are tightly pressed against the body, small folds of fat are on the stomach. The color of the pen is white and gray.
Productive qualities. Average bird weight: male - 6 kg, female - 4-5 kg. The liver is large and is 400 grams. Goose meat is delicious and is popular with the consumer, as well as its fat.
The advantages of the breed. Rapid adaptation to climate, frost resistance, activity, high level of health, versatility.
Breeding shadrinskoy breed - profitable option. They will provide their owner not only meat, fluff and bacon, but also eggs.
In addition to large, broiler and small geese, there are also decorative individuals. First of all, this feathered inherently mesmerizing appearance and in addition they carry eggs and give meat products. Decorative geese include:
Band or curly geese. One of the rarest breeds of Anseriformes. To find such a gosling or even a fertilized egg for an incubator in Russia is quite difficult. These individuals are small geese with snow-white curly feathers on the back and tail. The weight of the curly gander is up to 5 kg, the goose is even smaller. Goslings grow slowly, need vitaminized food and careful care. The name "tape" received thanks to tail feathers, which resemble long ribbons. Geese are beautiful and capricious.
Egyptian Goose. Also refers to the decorative look. Sometimes the breed is called - Nile. Another name - indogus. Egyptian is a wild bird, but it has the most delicate dietary meat that encourages people to hunt them. The territory of distribution of geese is the forest banks of the Nile. Special features: an unusual plumage, reminiscent of the Egyptian pharaoh, the ability to fly and run fast.
Content in captivity is possible, but requires patience and care. Since he is very thermophilic, in winter he is kept in an equipped room. In summer, a territory with a reservoir is needed, near which the goose will nest. It also takes into account the quarrelsome nature of the bird: it categorically does not tolerate neighbors (other geese, ducks, hens, etc.).
In fact, the Dutch goose breed does not occur in nature or in households. Although the nature and weather conditions of Holland are favorable for breeding geese. Sometimes it even becomes insulting why Dutch chickens, cows, ducks are there, and there are no geese.
Many breeds of geese are found in the country, most of which are wild: the white-fronted and large gray goose, as well as various types of geese are often mistaken for birds bred in Holland.
The popularity of the Dutch breed is based on the use of geese in a bloody sport - “stretching a goose”, which was widely known and loved in Holland in the old days.
Many scholars involved in breeding goose breeds agree that the progenitor of the whole goose unit is an ordinary gray goose. Bashkir representative is no exception.
The average weight of Bashkirs ranges from 4 to 6 kg. But goslings at 2 months already weigh 3 kg, which indicates rapid growth. Also, the offspring is tenacious and almost everything reaches sexual maturity, i.e., out of 100% goslings, 97-98% will survive.
Keeping the species is not difficult. Он быстро приспосабливается к тем, условиям в которых живет. Ест все: и растительные и сухие корма. Любит плавать, поэтому требуется емкость с водой или водоем.
Гуси, по сути, все шипуны. Это защитная и угрожающая реакция на опасность. Часто, особенно диких птиц, путают с лебедями. И это отчасти верный факт. Ведь гуси и лебеди – родственные птицы, в старых сказках так и называются «Гуси-лебеди».
Similar features of birds: massive, gander hang up to 12 kg, long curved necks, they both like to swim. Goslings in their initial stages look the same. Ganders, like swan males, are often monogamous.
Let them be similar, but it is worth understanding that these are two different types with characteristics of an image and character inherent only in them.
This category is recognized by the absolute leaders in breeding. Today there are several dozen breeds. Compliance with the rules of maintenance, and feeding helps to get high profits from the poultry industry.
Toulouse broilers are geese giants, a huge and heavy breed, rightly recognized as profitable among other birds. It is appreciated not only because of obtaining a decent amount of good meat, but also a delicious liver, the sale of which brings economic benefits to the breeder.
View derived by French poultry farmers. He has a fat and even awkward physique, he is slow and inactive. Weight reaches 12 kg - at the gander, 9 kg - at the geese.
The appearance of a bird is ordinary: gray plumage, the presence of a wallet depends on the subspecies, there are noticeable fat folds on the belly. The head is large, the neck is medium, strong, the orange beak is average. Legs short, wide set.
The advantages of Toulouse: the weight quality of meat and liver, precocity, do not require supernatural feeding, the output of fat and fluff, can do without a pool.
Cons: lazy and sedentary, loose, does not hatch goslings, does not like frost and damp. As can be seen from the above advantages of the Toulouse breed of geese overshadows the disadvantages associated only with the rules of care, with the maintenance of which they will be completely eradicated.
The breed was obtained by Soviet scientists in the mid-50s of the last century. It is considered the main when breeding lindovskih geese. Differs dense plumage, the color of which is gray, white, piebald, as well as a broad chest and a large elongated body. The head has a small nadklyuvnuyu cone and a barely noticeable wallet, beak of medium length, straight.
The bird is different in volume: an adult gander weighs about 7-9 kg, goose -7 kg. Egg production is good: above 50 eggs, out of 90% of which young appear (kept in an incubator, because a goose is a bad mother). Goslings have a high immune system and almost all survive.
The breed is often found in the village farmsteads. The maintenance of a bird does not require large material and moral costs, it has a high degree of income for various productivity items.
Or a French broiler that many poultry farmers are interested in. High and large breed of geese, characterized not only by great weight, but also by excellent egg production. Birds appeared in Russia recently: they were brought from Germany.
Externally, they differ from other varieties in their size: they have a large and massive body, a large head, a long, thick neck, a beak and legs of red color, and a white color. The live weight of the ganders varies from 9 to 11 kg, there are individual representatives whose weight reached 15 kg. A goose can carry up to 60 eggs weighing from 170 to 210 grams per year, but the instinct of maternity and incubation is completely absent, so the goslings are hatched in the incubator.
Care also does not cause large economic costs: in summer geese can eat grass and at the same time quickly gain weight, the amount of annual feed intake per gander is not more than 95 kg.
Species of the Mamut breed are the most suitable for growing and the largest geese in the world. They produce large quantities of eggs, meat and fluff.
Perhaps the oldest of all breeds of geese. About them was known in the 18th century. The birds of the Kholmogory breed are massive: the weight of the male can be 12 kg, the females - 8 kg.
Kholmogorsk geese have white plumage with some dark patches. The head is large, there is a lump above the beak, there is a purse on the thick long neck. Breast broad curved, on the belly fat folds. Meat of excellent taste and quality. The egg production of geese is average - 40 eggs per year. Their character is friendly and accommodating.
The breed is late, that is, the female's maturity occurs only by 3 years, which means the durability of the breed, a flock can live more than 15 years. Birds love to swim and the presence of a reservoir is mandatory for keeping.
People do not even know how many breeds geese have. Therefore, deciding to have geese in his farm, an aspiring goose grower is faced with the task: what to choose weight, egg production or early maturity. The main priority in choosing this wonderful bird are only the personal preferences of the breeder.
What breed of geese to choose?
Experienced poultry farmers, having suitable conditions for keeping geese, will be happy to choose a rare breed. Less egg-breeding geese are suitable for more modest conditions, however, with the preserved instinct of hatching eggs, driving goslings and a good ability to use the most modest grazing. From the breeds available to amateur gusevodam, you can choose a more suitable for these conditions and opportunities.
What breeds of geese are less demanding of conditions?
Demanding conditions of breeding, first of all, those who lack the instinct of geese incubating eggs and driving goslings. Therefore, their eggs or enclosed under the hen of another breed, or pass into the incubator.
Growing goslings at their most critical age requires a great deal of human concern for maintaining the right temperature for them and creating other housing conditions. From this point of view, large or heavy breeds of geese are the most demanding. The maintenance and care of such birds should be aimed at achieving the required standard weight and at the same time good egg production and fertility of eggs.
More difficult is the question of their feeding, since these breeds are prone to obesity, which, together with their large mass, is in conflict with high egg production and fertility.
By whimsical can be attributed, and sports breeds of geese, which for example include Steinbach fighting goose. In such breeds, it is necessary to strictly maintain the standard of the relationship of the body lines, the fighting temperament, the color of the plumage and a clear weight limit. When breeding geese with high egg production, there are certain difficulties with preserving the sexual activity of the glanders during the entire egg-laying period, and thus fertilization of eggs laid at the end of the egg-laying.
Emden breed geese
This is a large goose with a partly lightweight rather long neck. The goose is usually bred with white plumage. The instinct of incubation of eggs in this breed is suppressed.
Breed signs: The weight of a gander is 10–12, a goose is 7–9 kg, the egg production is 30–40 eggs with an average weight of 170 g. When breeding, there are difficulties in ensuring the fertility of eggs laid, usually in the second half of the laying period.
These geese are usually of medium size with relatively high egg production and the ability to produce a large liver after forced feeding. The most common variety of geese with gray-brown plumage, in conditions of large-scale production, there is also a white variety.
Breed signs: gander weight 7–7.5, goose 6 kg, egg production in the first year of 25 eggs, with an average weight of 150 g, in the second 30–35 eggs, with an average weight of 170 g. The incubation instinct of eggs in this breed is suppressed.
The breeding of this breed is complicated due to the difficulty of maintaining the fertilizing ability of the gander until the end of the egg-laying.
Rhine breed geese
This is a moderate breed of geese, selected for high egg production. Bred geese breed usually with white plumage. In hatching goslings, the back is covered with dark down, which changes to white during shedding. The instinct of egg incubation is depressed.
Breed signs: gusk weight 6, goose 5 kg, egg production 50-70 eggs. There is also a difficulty: maintaining the fertilizing ability of the gander until the end of the laying period.
This breed is intermediate in size between light and medium weight geese. Bred this breed with white plumage. It is characterized by relatively high egg production. The instinct of brooding is suppressed. Catching of the geese periodically occurs.
Breed signs: goose weight 5.5, goose 4.5 kg, egg production 50 eggs and more.
This breed is characterized by a frizzy plumage on the back, large opaque and primary feathers, tail and upper wing feathers. Although this goose has good productive qualities, it is starting to be bred as a sports breed due to the particular plumage.
Curly geese grown in the Danube lowland, up to 7 kg in weight. According to the German standard, the mass of the gander is 6, and the goose is 5 kg, the egg production is 30-40 eggs, with an average weight of 120 g. Such a breed is bred with white, gray-brown and variegated plumage.
This is one of the most ancient breeds of geese of relatively large size. The type of goose with white coloring of plumage is bred. There is also a view of the gray-brown color of the plumage or variegated with regular islands of gray-brown feathers on the head, moving to the area under the throat and the back of the head, to part of the wings and shin. The geese gray-brown preserved the instinct of hatching eggs and driving goslings.
Breed signs: gusk weight 7-8 goose 6-7 kg, egg production 20-30 eggs, average weight 170 g
Chinese Home Goose (Swan Goose)
This breed originated from the domestication of a wild Chinese goose. According to the shape of the body, it is, so to speak, an intermediate type between the goose and the swan. It is distinguished by a leathery frontal bump, a long neck and a trumpet voice. It is light brown in color with a typical darker band from head to tail. The white variety is less common. Geese with low egg production have kept their incubation instinct.
Breed signs: gusk weight 5-5.5, goose 3.5-4.5 kg, egg production 35-40 eggs, average weight 120 g
The breed is similar to the Chinese goose. Breed breed geese with a gray-brown color plumage.
Breed signs: the weight of the gander is 5.5-6, the goose is 4.5-5 kg, the egg production is 60 eggs, with an average weight of 110-120 g. The instinct of egg incubation is suppressed.
Local breeds of geese
The goose adapts well to semi-natural conditions, its initial properties are relatively quickly restored, namely: lower egg production, the brooding instinct, and care for the goslings. Feeding at the expense of herding mainly contributes to the creation of a modest variety of geese with egg production of 10–12 eggs and a live weight of 3.5–5.5 kg.
Types of geese for large-scale production
Amateur poultry farmers often purchase geese from the incubators of large poultry farms. These goslings do not belong to any breed, but they are multi-breed hybrids, but they are good material for keeping or fattening for meat. They can be used for breeding. Goslings of pure breeds, for example, Rhine, Landoss and Kuban, which can be exhibited at exhibitions, can be obtained from the incubators of the poultry farms.
Comparison of different breeds of white geese on the main criteria
- Wild white goose. It has white plumage and dark feathers on the edges of the wings.
- Lindov Goose.
This variety of geese belongs to the meat direction and was bred artificially.
On average, representatives of this breed have an average weight about 8 kghowever individual representatives may grow up to 12 kg. On the nose have a characteristic growth. With proper breeding and the availability of appropriate care gives the meat very high quality.
The egg production of this species of geese is also at a height (reaches 50 eggs).
- Kholmogorsky goose. One of the best meat breeds of geese. At the age of 5-6 months, appearance differences begin to appear (a lump on the beak and a bag under the chin).
- Danish legart. Not so long ago, the breed bred, has a good performance and a large average body size. Often, there is a small fold of fat on the stomach,
- Emden Goose. Meat breed geese, characterized by high quality meat and fat,
- Italian goose. It was derived for producing productive meat breed with high egg production.
Conditions of keeping white domestic geese
When equipping a place for breeding geese, several basic rules must be observed:
- The temperature in the goose should be within +1- +27. At the same time, on the floor should be insulated layer of sawdust or straw. When equipping the flooring of sawdust, you should consider the possibility of glue-up of sawdust with geese (which can harm the health of the bird).
- The first days after updating the insulation layer on the floor should cover sawdust with straw. In winter time, the temperature can be regulated with the help of special heaters, however, if the floors, walls, and ceilings of the roaster are qualitatively insulated with hermetic material and there is a porch in the roaster, you can do without additional heating.
In this case, the heat released by birds is usually enough to create an optimal indoor climate. In any case, the temperature balance is an important component in the issue of raising geese, and therefore needs constant monitoring.
- Air humidity must be 60-70%. A moderate level of air humidity is achieved with the help of properly equipped waterproofing and roof ventilation (most often, this is achieved with the help of ventilation holes in the ridge of the roof, which helps to remove excess moisture to the outside and provides fresh air into the room).
When the humidity level exceeds the norm Chances of mold, fungus, which leads to diseases of birds. Low air humidity also affects the health of geese, which often leads to death.
- For the full development of geese, you must comply with a strict mode of illumination of the room. In the gooseberry should be both natural and electric lighting. In the first days of life, goslings should live indoors 24 hours a day.
- In the second week of life, the light time can be reduced. up to 16 hours / day, from the fourth to the seventh week - up to 14 hoursthen the light time can be shortened up to 7 hours.
- At the same time, the electric light should not be too bright, as it can also adversely affect the health of geese. Natural lighting is also very important for the health of the bird, therefore windows and doors must be present in the roaster. It is desirable that the area of the windows was not less than 10 percent from the area of the walls.
Non-compliance with the light mode negatively affects not only the behavioral component of the bird, but also the general condition of the bird, which makes it unprofitable to breed geese in general,
The room where geese breeding is planned should always be clean and warm. It is necessary to take into account the need to regularly clean the goose from dirt and sanitize using special disinfectants.
If sanitary standards are not observed, the bird can easily become infected with various infectious diseases and parasites,
- Room size. When planning the size of the room, it is necessary to proceed from the number of geese planned for breeding. It is desirable that each bird should have at least 1 meter of space for the goose. At the same time, the room is also not too big to do,
- The floor in the roaster should be flat. At independent construction of a goose, it is worth protecting a floor from rodents having added broken glass to the base,
- In each gooseberry it is necessary to equip nests for geese, for laying eggsc. The size of the nest should be approximately 60 cm in height, 60 cm in width and 60 cm in length. It is desirable that the nests be equipped aside from the common house (this will help avoid damage to the eggs and the aggression of the birds towards the hens). Up to two geese can be carried in one nest,
- In order for breeding geese to become a truly profitable enterprise, you should take care place for walking geese (if there is a suitable place for walking, the cost of food can be significantly reduced). At the same time, it is desirable to have a meadow for walking and a reservoir (if there is no reservoir, you can put a large container with water in which geese can bathe)
- It is necessary to equip the house with feeders and drinkers. Feeders should be of three types:
- Dry food feeder,
- Mineral feed trough
- Feeder for wet food.
Note! 2-3 times a month, it is necessary to put a container with a special composition (composition: sand, ash, feed sulfur) in the place of walking the birds, to prevent infection with pukoperoed. In case of infection with this parasite, rub sulfur into the feathers of the bird.
Cultivation of white geese. Nutrition
For geese feeding, strict control is also required. Since geese grow very quickly, proper nutrition is one of the most important components of the geese breeding process.
Consider the most important aspects of this issue. Food for geese consists of several main components, the composition of which can vary in a fairly wide range.
The main components of the feed:
- Cereal mixtures. Mainly used oats (steamed). But also, wheat (preferably germinated), corn (ground), barley can be used. In addition, such mixtures usually include additives from legumes. When creating cereal mixtures independently, vitamins are added to the mixture.
- Feed. Сбалансированный корм (существуют специальные разновидности для откорма гусей), как правило в виде гранул, состоящих из перемолотых зерновых культур, с добавлением витаминов и минералов)
- Greenery. В основном трава поедаемая гусями при выгуле, а также ботва от корнеплодов и сорняки, собранные в огороде (в случае невозможности обеспечения выгула гусям),
- Roots. Картофель, морковь, свекла. Часто, перед кормлением, корнеплоды отваривают и измельчают.
- Овощи. Vegetables are usually ground on a grater and mixed with coarse feed or greens.
- Mineral Supplements. Includes vitamins, minerals, bone and fish meal, limestone, egg shells, table salt.
- Animal feed. Bone and fish meal, fish and dairy waste.
- Roughage. Nettle, hay, silage, dry grass.
Caution! Potatoes used for food should be without eyes, as the substances contained in the sprouts can harm the bird, however, potato peel can be used.
Linda Geese (Linda Geese)
Today, the best breed of geese in the world are considered Lindov geese. They are grown in Germany, France, Hungary, and in Russia geese linda constitute 50% of the population of the whole country. These are early ripe heavy geese, with a large long body, which were bred in the Nizhny Novgorod region under the name of Gorky geese by complex and long crossing Adler, Solnechnogorsky, Arzamasky, Landsky, Chinese and other breeds of geese. Officially approved geese Linda were in 1994.
Geese Linda: key indicators and features
- average mass of adults - up to 8 kg (champions - up to 12 kg). 9-14 weeks old goslings of Lindovskaya breed weigh about 4 kg, while young animals continue to grow after three months of age, after shedding, which is very valuable due to the presence in August-November of a large amount of feed.
- goose of Lindovskoy breed - quite good hens. Begin egg-laying at 5-6 months. During the egg-laying period, about 50 eggs weighing 140-170 g are laid. Eggs have excellent characteristics: fertility - 90%, percentage of viable young animals during incubation - 75-80, livestock safety - up to 90%.
- Lindovskaya breed geese unpretentious in the feed - happy to eat green grass, and young animals can be freely grazed on water from 1.5 months of age. When kept without walking, goslings are given compound feed intended for broiler chickens, as it covers the needs as much as possible. goslings linda in minerals.
- Distinguishing feature Lindov Goose Breedst - a bump on the forehead (appears at the age of 7 months) and white plumage. By the way, the down and feather of these waterfowl are also included in the price.
Kholmogorsky geese (geese Kholmogory)
Another meat breed of geese, widespread in our area - Kholmogorskaya breed geese. This is a very old and very large breed, parents of which are Arzamas and Chinese geese.
Geese Kholmogory: main indicators and features
- males geese Kholmogorsky breed weigh up to 8-10 kg (there are specimens weighing 12 kg), females before egg-laying - 7-9 kg.
- geese Kholmogory very expressive thanks to the massive bump on the beak, visible already in 5-6 months and reaching its maximum size by the fifth year of life. At the same time, the beak itself can be either long (the first line of the Kholmogorsk breed), or medium and short (the second line). A chin grows under the lower jaw of both the goose and the geese, which makes it seems that the Kholmogorsk geese have a short neck. Between the legs the bird has one, two or three skin folds, and the body is massive, wide, with long wings, a thick neck and a deep well-developed chest.
- geese Kholmogory may be either white or gray or pey-colored.
- females do not shine egg production: up to 30 eggs per egg-laying (usually in the region of 10-15). Sexual maturity in these birds occurs only in the 3rd year of life. Moms from Kholmogorky get good, but chicks are not very, too large geese.
- they are not whimsical in nutrition, they are not different from other breeds - they grow on grass, on wheat, mixed feed and other feeds
- a distinctive feature of Kholmogory geese is their kind, calm disposition. These are family geese, not prone to aggression and noise, attached to their yard
- geese of Kholmogorsky breed are real long-livers. If the life span of other breeds does not exceed 5-6 years, Kholmogory live 15-17 years, and even at this age they successfully lay eggs and incubate.
Toulouse geese (geese of Toulouse breed)
One of the oldest breeds of geese, was bred in France, near Toulouse, through the domestication and directional selection of the wild Gray Geese. Toulouse geese still remain one of the most popular breeds in America, despite some difficulties in their content.
Toulouse Geese: Key Indicators and Features
- live weight of adult males reaches 8-10 kg, females - 6-8 kg, and at 8 weeks of age, young animals weigh up to 4 kg.
- for the period of egg-laying females lay 25-35 eggs weighing 170-190 g. But hatchability is low - 50-60%. Also, females Breed Toulouse bad hens, so eggs have to be laid under another poultry.
- Toulouse breed of geese - large, with a wide massive body, thick neck of medium length and dark gray (sometimes - fawn) plumage. The presence of fat folds on the stomach or a purse under the jaw is not a necessary condition, since several varieties of this meat breed of geese have been derived.
- Toulouse geese poorly suited for pasture-like housing — they are loose and sedentary, although Toulouse's geese without a wallet can be adapted for pastures. As a rule, they are kept on good fattening, using the ability of these birds to quickly accumulate fat (the liver reaches a mass of 500 grams).
- Does not like the Toulouse breed of geese of high humidity and cold weather - in such conditions their productive qualities are significantly reduced. In the middle zone for the maintenance of Toulouse geese will have to arrange a warm poultry house and provide nutritious food.
Tula geese: main indicators and features:
- weight of adult males is 5-6 kg, females - 5-5.5 kg, young animals at 2 months of age gaining a weight of 3.9 kg
- geese of the Tula fight breed of good hens, about 25 eggs are given for egg laying
- at Tula geese breed wide back, deep chest, large muscular wings, short thick neck, head recognizable by a wide forehead and specific form of the beak: either straight (straight Tula goose), or concave (Fallen goose Tula), or bulging (Steep-nosed Tula goose). There are birds with a small wallet under the beak. Color Tula geese - clay, gray, brown-gray.
- geese of breed Tula fight able to endure extreme cold, very viable, hardy. The best conditions for their cultivation are pastures and water meadows.
Geese Legart (breed of geese Danish Legart)
This breed was bred in Denmark, looks very similar to the Italian or Emden geese. However the difference geese breed danish legart consists in a very gentle, calm, friendly disposition and incredible precocity.
Geese of breed Danish Legart: main indicators and features:
- the weight of adult males is 7-8 kg, the geese are 5-7 kg, and the young of the geese of the Danish Legart breed at the age of 2 months weighs 5.5-6 kg, at the age of 3 months - a full-fledged 7 kg. Sexual maturity comes in 270 days.
- geese Legarta breed unimportant chickens, give 30–40 eggs weighing 190–200 g for egg-laying. Eggs are not very high hatchability - up to 65%, but goslings have a high survival rate and very fast weight gain, which fully compensates for their relatively small body weight.
- geese of the Danish Legart breed are squat, heavy, with a shallow mincing gait, a deep elongated body, an average neck and a small fatty fold on the stomach. A distinctive feature of the Legart geese is blue eyes and bright white plumage (only small goslings have black spots)
- breed geese Danish Legart unpretentious to the conditions of detention, well-fatten weight pasture.
Chinese geese (geese of breed Chinese gray, geese of breed Chinese white)
This is a very old light breed of geese, which today is hardly divorced in its pure form, but is valued when crossed with heavy breeds of geese for its fertility, early ripening, high quantitative and qualitative indicators of egg production. Even externally geese breed Chinese markedly different from their European relatives more delicate, swan neck.
Chinese geese took part in the creation of such popular breeds as the Kuban gray, Kholmogorskaya, Lindovskaya, Pereyaslavskaya, etc. The excellent reproductive qualities of the Chinese geese manifest themselves when crossing with geese of meat breeds - Rhine, Vishnites, Italian, Kholmogory, etc.
There are Gray Chinese geese (geese Chinese gray) and White Chinese geese (geese Chinese white). Their main difference is in the color of feathers, beak, legs and eyes.
Chinese geese: main indicators and features
- male weight - 5-5.5 kg, females - up to 4 kg, young stock at 2 months of age - 3-3.5 kg. The meat is very tasty, lean
- reproductive qualities geese breed Chinese very high - 50-70, and sometimes - up to 100 eggs during the laying period. Egg weight is about 120 g, hatchability of goslings from eggs is 75-80%, safety of young stock is 99%.
- the geese of the Chinese breed are distinguished by a long neck, a big lump on the forehead, sometimes there is a small wallet under the beak, the body is egg-shaped, slightly elevated, the chest is wide. White Chinese geese have pure white plumage, paws, beak and bump are orange, Gray Chinese geese have a gray-brown color, the upper chest and front part of the neck are dirty white, the chest is pale brown, the lower part and the stomach are white, and from the top of the head a dark brown “belt” runs to the shoulders, the bump and beak are black.
- Chinese geese are quite hardy, unpretentious to the living and feeding conditions, but they have an evil, quarrelsome character, noisy, mobile, like to demonstrate their "trumpet" voice.
Geese of breed Kuban (Kuban geese)
This breed of geese was bred in the Kuban, and became widespread in Ukraine, the South of the Volga region, and Moldova. The “parents” of the Kuban geese are the Linda geese and the Chinese. Although Kuban geese do not have great weight, They are loved for good reproductive abilities, a large yield of eggs and, therefore, the ability to quickly have a large flock from one family.
Kuban geese: key indicators and features
- weight of adult males reaches 5-5.5 kg, females - 4.5-5 kg, in two months the young weigh 3.5 kg
- geese of the Kuban breed - bad hens, but prolific: for the period of egg-laying, 80-90 eggs weighing about 150 grams, hatchability - 75-80%, preservation of young stock is also high - 85%. Sexual maturity of the Kuban geese comes in 240 days.
- Kuban geese they are distinguished by a medium-sized body, a large head with a frontal bump, a rounded chest and a rather long neck. The color is gray-brown with a characteristic dark brown strip on the neck and head and dark legs. There are also white Kuban geese with light legs and a beak.
- unpretentious to growing conditions, but only for its climatic zone (Krasnodar Territory and neighboring regions)
- breed geese Kuban has a significant drawback - because of the color of the skin and the feathering of the carcass does not look very attractive, and the young growth is slowly gaining weight. Differ in quarrelsome, unfriendly character (hoarse, noisy).
Landa breed geese (geese Landa breed)
Land geese were bred in France on the basis of the Toulouse geese, characterized as moderate, and are grown mainly for fatty liver, which in adults reaches 720 g. Most often, it is not pure Landa breed that is used, but Landus breed husslers, for crossing with Hungarian breeds, Rhenish, Italian, to get even more liver for foie gras (up to 800 g).
Land geese: key indicators and features:
- weight of adult clean adults - up to 8 kg, weight of crossed geese in the first generation - up to 10 kg, at the age of 2 months the young growth weighs 4.5-5 kg
- females geese Landa breed good hens, up to 30 eggs per egg-laying, hatchability low - 45-50%, safety of young stock - 85%.
- Lanskaya breed geese it is characterized by a short wide neck, fatty bags on the abdomen, a beautiful scaly pattern of plumage on the wings, a massive body, a broad head, and a deep broad chest.
- hussies are courageous and carefully guard their flock
Gubernatorial geese: key indicators and features
- weight of an adult male - 4-4.5 kg, females - 4 kg
- during the laying period female Gubernatorial breed geese gives 40-50 eggs, the safety of young - 95%, adult livestock - up to 97%. Only 2,75 kg of feed per 1 kg of increase
- Governor's geese have a compact body, a small elongated head, medium neck, deep chest, orange beak and legs. The color of this breed of geese is pure white, and the down, due to its branched structure, provides good thermal insulation qualities. This is a “frost resistant” breed.
Shadrinsk geese (geese of Shadrinsk breed)
These geese were bred more than three hundred years ago in the Perm province, near the city of Shadrinsk, and like many old breeds of geese have a number of drawbacks: rather low productivity, “problems” with the exterior. However plus Shadrinsky geese consists in the fact that they serve as an excellent base for breeding work - their productive qualities improve rather quickly with purposeful work.
Shadrinsk geese: key indicators and features
- weight of adult males - 5.5-6.5 kg, females - 4.5-5 kg, young animals at the age of 5 months - 5 kg.
- females geese breed Shadrinsk 25-30 eggs weighing 130-170 g are produced during the laying period. Goose hatch eggs well.
- geese of Shadrinsk breed can be as piebald, and gray, and white. These birds have a short body, short neck, short legs, small head, beak and legs are orange, there is a small fat fold on the belly
- Shadrinsk geese are well adapted to the harsh conditions of Siberia and the Urals, and pasture content is most suitable for them.
Hungarian geese (geese of the Hungarian breed)
These geese were bred in Hungary and can be characterized as “generalists”: they are kept for meat, for fluff, and for the liver. By crossing in Landskie geese get hybrids with excellent fatty liver.
Hungarian geese: key indicators and features
- weight of adult males - 7 kg, females - 5.5-6 kg, young stock at 2 months - 4.5 kg
- Hungarian goose breed give 35-40 eggs per egg-laying, hatchability of goslings - 65-70%, safety of an adult herd - 97%
- Hungarian geese have white plumage, short neck, compact broad body, wide and deep chest, massive short legs, orange beak and paws
- the Hungarian geese breed is valued for its down-feather raw materials - from one head you can get up to 110 g of raw materials with a high content of down.
- Hungarian geese are very well gaining weight on pasture forage.
As you have seen geese breeds for home keeping quite a lot, and not all we mentioned in this article. there is geese meat breeds - heavy, there are early ripening, there are breeds characterized by high productivity of eggs, fatty liver and other indicators. Which of them best breed geese - it's up to you, based on your needs and capabilities. And we wish you success in this difficult task - growing geese for yourself (or for business).
Tatyana Kuzmenko, member of the editorial board Sobkor of the Internet publication "AtmAgro. Agroindustrial Gazette"
How useful was the information for you?