If we are talking about adults, to determine the sex it will be enough just to look at the duck and drake: the male will be much larger than the female, and this immediately catches the eye. The average weight of an adult drake is about 5-6 kg, while females at the same age weigh only 1.5-3 kg. In this case, the males are not only larger, but also much more massive: they have a thick and long neck, a wide chest, powerful wings.
Look also at the head of the bird. If you see red rough skin, setting behind the eyes, it means that before you is a male. If the skin is more delicate, light pink and is located only between the eyes and the beak, we are talking about the female. Ducks can also boast a graceful rather than a powerful bend of the neck. However, their plumage is much more modest: the coloring of the feathers of males is, as a rule, brighter and more varied, because the ducks should attract by their appearance of ducks.
How to distinguish a male indooot from a female: additional tricks
Males and females of indoutok differ not only in appearance. You can even determine the sex of a bird by the voice: ducks scream or “talk”, making the sound “ik” or “ik”, while males only hiss. Moreover, showing aggression, drakes not only emit a loud hiss, but also raise a tuft to look threatening. Females simply do not know how to do this.
Since the sexual organ in small drakes of the hawk has a length of only 1-2 mm, and it is rather difficult to see it, you can use another option for determining the sex of the ducklings. First, in males the plumage is several tones darker than in females, and this can be noticed if you put several ducklings of both sexes side by side. Secondly, drakes very quickly become aggressive: after 1-2 weeks after birth, they begin to fight with other ducklings, as well as with chickens, if they grow up with them. Young males often offend the birds with which they grow, even when it comes to larger individuals. The females, on the other hand, behave more calmly, do not start fights and will rather get into the corner or run away than accept the fight.
There is another interesting difference between females and males, and it lies in the characteristics of behavior. As a rule, drakes always let the indouk forward, and they themselves move a little behind. This also applies to walking on land, and swimming, and even flying. The only exception is the situation when the duck hatching eggs, and the drakes, left without their females, walk in small groups, alternately passing each other forward.
It is difficult to determine the sex of a young child from the first day after birth. Distinguishing duckling belonging is difficult, such a task for a beginner seems overwhelming. Some people succeed in planting youngsters in their cages by eye and offhand, and then act on the situation, but a reliable way, as at an early age to clarify the sex of the chick, takes a person only a few minutes. All that a farmer needs is observation and patience.
However, before acting, it is necessary to figure out why this activity should be given so much attention? A breed that is divided by sex is a big plus for a farmer. The advantages of breeding poultry by gender are as follows:
- Duck is a peace-loving, calm bird that does not try to leave the master yard. There is no need to cut her wings. The male will run constantly. Females stay in open enclosures, but for the duck of the other sex a different fate has been prepared. Males are not only cut off the wings, but also arrange them in closed cages or in the courtyard with a high fence.
- The male duck is characterized by strong immunity, which resists various infections and viral diseases. It is not necessary to vaccinate males too often, but for females, the injections are shown first.
- The weight of the drakes is many times greater than the weight of the ducks. Indeutoki - fragile birds, they do not overgrow a large fat layer. The diet of birds of different sexes is also different. Separation of birds by gender will allow a person to save extra money on pet food.
- Egg production. The most important condition for breeding an individual is the number of eggs carried by females. The correct ratio of males and females will increase the egg production rate of a flock of poultry.
As for eggs, it is impossible to know the sex of future chicks. How to determine the gender of a drawback that has already grown? To save costs and rational use of resources, the farmer in the shortest possible time carries out the separation of young stock. Some of the secrets of experienced poultry farmers will be useful to the novice.
Differences between female and male
The determination of the sex of a new brood is carried out in the first three months of the life of young chicks. The first thing you should pay attention to is the behavior of the young. The plumage of males is growing faster, such a sign is also noticeable in the first days of chick life. Feathers in females are dimmer, because indooot is a pair of birds, it is the drake that attracts the duck, and not vice versa. The head of the drake is massive and the neck is shorter. The girls are more refined, with a thin elongated neck.
The so-called crest on the neck of the male specimen helps to distinguish the duck from the drake. Such beards on the body of females are not found. Important signs that will help to quickly divide the young in two enclosures:
- On the tail of a drake, feathers are twisted upwards, while in females the tail is absolutely flat.
- The plumage of males is faster, and by three months of life their down and feathers are fully formed.
- If we weigh healthy individuals of the breed, the duck will be twice as light as even weak drakes.
- The forehead of males is hollow, and the beak is triangular in shape (the appearance of the beak of a duck is completely different).
- On the beak in adult males, a hump forms, which is clearly visible on a closer look.
- The drake and duck can be easily determined from the massive forehead.
- Indoout have a narrow body.
- In males, the legs are massive, thickened (males cannot be weak, because their role in the pack is to protect offspring and ducks).
Identification of a bird by its appearance is the simplest and fastest, but even with careful examination of birds, one can easily make a mistake. How to distinguish indootout from drake on the behavioral principle? Breeding ducks - a simple lesson, if you prepare for it in advance.
How do males and females behave
Photo indouin, which is easy to find in any encyclopedia or on the Internet, will help to distinguish the young by external signs. The exact way to find drakes or ducks in a close-knit domestic pack will take longer. The farmer needs to observe the behavior of adults. If the photo does not help to find the differences, then the habits of males and females are clearly visible on the video. Individuals of different sexes differ slightly, but the observant person will be able to notice the distinctive features. As for the indouout, it is not possible to find a duck by behavior (at the age of up to 2 months).
The leader in flocks is always a male, the female never seeks to lead a group of birds. Its main task is to lay down more eggs and provide the flock with healthy offspring. In flight or while walking, the duck is held at the side or at the very end of the key. Males differ in more aggressive behavior, especially in cases when a person interferes with their lives. Leaders often fight for food, grab food.
Experienced farmers can distinguish ducks by voice: females quack loudly, and the drakes mostly only hiss (the difference is clearly seen in the video about the life of the ducks).
One can distinguish between indo-residues and drakes by their habits:
- The males in the pack are the real leaders. They lead a group of ducks and often behave aggressively towards other birds. Nevertheless, during the peak breeding period, the Indoor drakes become gallant: they calm down and take care of the ukus, they always give way and save her from danger. Therefore, it is especially easy to find sex differences in the nesting period. At the same time, the males appear small beard and antennae,
- The definition of ducklings is possible by 2 months - from an early age they show leadership qualities, they behave more pompously. Ducks to the leadership of other relatives never seek. Their main task is to lay down as many eggs as possible and raise healthy ducklings,
- Males often attack people and anyone who may pose a threat to offspring and females at all. They often fight amongst themselves to conquer as much food as possible and improve in the hierarchy. Only when the ducks are sitting on the clutches, they get together and peacefully move in groups of 3 individuals,
- Females do not conflict, they are more likely to flee or hide in a far corner than to fight. But in caring for little ducks, they become brave and selfless. There have been cases when, in protecting kids, Indo-attacks attacked cats, dogs, and other dangerous animals.
- In the event of aggression or anger, the drakes raise the tufts. Ducks just can't move feathers at their withers,
Ducks differ in the way they communicate. Male birds do not know how to quack, but they hiss eerily. The ducks scream and talk, making sounds in the spirit of “ik” or “ik” - as they call to themselves kids.
Appearance and behavior
In small children, differences appear from the moment of birth. First of all, males have darker down.
The plumage of males is growing faster, and the girls are more refined, with a thin elongated neck. These differences help determine the sex in the first 3 months of life of small chicks.
Already after 7-14 days after hatching, the little duckling shows up in character: begins to fight with other birds. Male indouutyata are prone to shoots, but they have good resistance to infections and viral diseases. It is best to keep them in closed enclosures or courtyards with a high fence, do not forget to cut the wings.
Ducks already at a young age are peaceful and calm. You do not have to spend time trimming the wings, the ducks are not prone to escapes and are tied to their usual places. Therefore, you can fearlessly lodge them in open enclosures.
Japanese way to determine gender
Experienced poultry farmers can determine the sex of ducklings already after 24 hours from the moment of hatching. To do this, they gently massage the anal passage of a bird. If a small pseudo-penis appears, it is a young drake. The females do not have clear sexual characteristics, but with a massage you can find tiny balls.
This strange at first glance method was first used in Japan. He is not widely popular among farmers in our country, but the probability of recognition is accurate.