Do you know how many varieties of onions exist in nature? Even if we consider only a turnip, we are faced with the fact that there are varieties of yellow, white or red. Which one is the most useful and desirable as a seed? Depends on your individual preferences. It is white and yellow heads that contain the maximum amount of caustic essential oils that cause bitter tears to be shed. But many today prefer red turnips, the leading place among which is occupied by Carmen's onions. The description of the variety contains information that these beautiful root vegetables contain the flavonoid quercetin. This vitamin-like compound has many healing properties, including anti-allergic and anti-tumor effects. Therefore, before the new planting season, be sure to pay attention to the onions of Carmen. Variety description does not hurt even those who grow onions in hydroponics, in their window.
What is it like
Not so long ago, our country saw this purple miracle. This is a product of Dutch breeders, or Carmen's onions. The description of a grade characterizes this root crop as early ripening. The average ripening period ranges from 75-85 days. It is less than three months. Even in climatic zones characterized by a short warm period, you can manage to get a good harvest. Leaves begin to turn yellow after 100 days. This is a dvuzhatchatkovy or trehchatyakovy grade.
There is another feature for which the philistine liked Carmen's bow. The description of a grade emphasizes its exclusive keeping quality. After harvesting the vegetables lie quietly until spring, keeping the maximum amount of nutrients. This will help withstand spring avitaminosis.
Recommendations for growing
Often, gardeners do not think much about how to plant Red Carmen onions. The description of the variety on the package can be presented in an abbreviated form, as a result of which it is planted as usual yellow onions. This leads to significant crop losses. So get ready to take into account some of the features when planting and care. First of all it is necessary to choose the right area. Best of all, if it used to grow potatoes, cabbage or legumes. Not bad and beds from under the cucumbers and tomatoes. Other predecessors are undesirable, since, pulling from the soil substances that are necessary for red onions, they impoverish the crop.
How to choose seed
So, it was decided to plant Red Carmen bow on the plot. Variety description includes information on the correct selection and sowing of onions. First of all, pay attention to their appearance. They must be even, dense, free from rot, fungal disease, mold or mechanical damage. Onion sets should be calibrated. Onions with a diameter of up to 10 mm can be planted before winter, and larger ones can be stored until spring.
You will need this knowledge if you grow yourself or buy Carmen's spring onions for the spring planting. Description of the variety (photo clearly demonstrates the beauty of purple heads) gives us information on how to properly store onions. They need to be well warmed to protect against diseases such as neck rot or downy mildew. To do this, the bow is kept for a week at a temperature of 25 degrees, then it is increased by 5 degrees. A week later, the temperature needs to be raised again, and it will already be 35 degrees. Warming up is completed by keeping at 42 degrees for 10 hours.
Now the bow is placed in storage. The place may be cold or warm. The second option assumes the maintenance of bulbs at a temperature of 18-20 degrees and humidity of about 70%. During cold storage, the onions are kept at +18 until the frost is down to -10 outside. Then in the store should lower the temperature to -1 degree and so wait for the spring. Upon the occurrence of favorable conditions, the bulbs are moved to heat, so that they awaken, and then they are planted in the soil.
If home conditions do not allow for storage conditions, you can buy seeds from storage in late winter or early spring. This helps to avoid drying out small bulbs due to adverse conditions. Another good option is to plant a Carmen onion for the winter. Description of the variety (gardeners about him very good), emphasizes that this is one of the most convenient ways. The bed should be mulched with a peat layer up to 10 cm, then watered and left to the first stable frosts. Onions are usually planted when the night frost is repeated in a row for 3-4 days. At the same time, the mulch is pushed aside, the onion is planted and it is put back into place.
Spring landing in the second year
This option can be used if you have grown onions from seeds in the previous summer or bought onion sets before the upcoming season. The most favorable period for landing is the end of April or the beginning of May. It is necessary to feed to the garden bed and plant at the rate of 0.7 kg per square meter. Pay special attention to the fact that the soil layer above the bulb should not exceed 1.5 cm. Otherwise, this seed has its own root system and therefore requires less maintenance.
In order to get a good harvest, it is necessary to fertilize, regularly water and loosen the soil. There is one secret that allows you to get a great bow of Carmen. Growing large root crops occurs due to the cessation of growth of the green part of the plant. At the end of June it is necessary to bend feathers to the ground and completely stop watering. Then a big turnip begins to grow.
Two weeks before the estimated harvest date, the land should be removed from the bulbs. Some gardeners recommend pruning the roots. But the first option is much easier. Harvesting depends on the climatic characteristics of the region. This is the period from the beginning of August to the beginning of September. The bulbs are carefully dug out of the ground and laid out to dry. This can be done right on the garden, if the weather is warm and dry. The second option is to remove the turnips in the attic.
Not every soil is suitable for onions, this applies to all its varieties. Is no exception, and Carmen bow. Description and cultivation is based on years of experience of breeders, and therefore gives us clear instructions on what to do to achieve a good harvest. It is highly undesirable to plant in acidic or marshy soils. In this case, it is not always the help of chalking, it is better to build a high bed, bring fresh earth.
Best proven soils that show a neutral reaction. You can not make too much fertilizer - it will adversely affect plants. Wood ash, a small amount of organic matter and copper sulfate solution are acceptable. Before planting the bed should be prepared, dig, loosen and warm up well. It does not hurt to shed and salt solution to scare away the onion fly.
Experienced gardeners are advised to grow onions Carmen. The description emphasizes that the best crop is obtained when growing a variety in a two-year crop from a sevka. Planted better in the first weeks of May. Productivity varieties are very high. With one square meter you can collect 2.5 kg of root vegetables. Depending on agricultural technology and care, this figure may vary in one direction or another.
Plant height reaches 30-35 cm. Bulb weight 60-80 grams, although with good care, they can reach 120 grams, which is almost twice the average weight of onions. The turnip itself is called red, violet or blue. This is easy to explain, since the dry scales are very dark, and the fresh scales that it hides are of a reddish hue. The bulbs have an average density, they are rounded flat. This variety is distinguished by the absence of excessive sharpness, which allows it to be eaten with less caution.
Recommendations for use
Carmen sowing onion has become very popular due to its excellent taste. He is mild, even sweetish and very juicy. Its fragrant aroma perfectly complements various salads, therefore it is recommended first of all to use it fresh. It is undesirable to use it for frying, it will significantly reduce the amount of useful substances contained in it. Volatile volatile production will help in the fight against viruses, so during epidemics, you can lay out the house of sliced onions. It is advisable that juicy rings were on your table daily. You can safely use them at dinner, in the morning there will be no specific smell.
Carmen's bow is a real storehouse of useful substances. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, it also contains a large amount of beneficial sugars. Red onions can slow the growth of cancer cells and prevent their formation in the body. This amazing property can extend the life of many people. If you have high cholesterol, include red onions in the diet. With regular use, it can reduce the level of bad cholesterol by 20%.
Many today are growing on their garden plots Carmen's onions. Reviews of gardeners and gardeners recommend it as one of the most unpretentious, early ripening and fruitful varieties. Stunning taste once and for all have to this root. Gardeners emphasize that this hybrid variety is very well resistant to various diseases, perfectly tolerates temperature fluctuations, cool or dry periods. This is important primarily for those whose garden plot is located far from home.
Let's sum up
Today we talked about Carmen's onions. Description, reviews, useful properties - all this information can be useful when choosing a new variety. It should be noted that more and more he is winning the love of Russian gardeners. Growing this variety has a lot of advantages, starting with the fact that the onion is unpretentious and gives a great harvest with minimal care, and ending with exceptional decorativeness and excellent taste. Blue-red rings will not only complement the salad, but also serve as an original decoration for meat dishes. Excellent keeping quality of this variety allows you to provide the family with healthy roots until spring. In addition, for such a long period of time, the bow does not lose its useful properties. Almost until the new harvest, Carmen's onions will be an excellent addition to various dishes.
What qualities does the variety have?
One of the advantages of red onions Carmen, grown from sevka, is the minimum formation of floral arrows. At the turnip of this variety, after the end of the growing season, a rounded-flat turnip of medium density, weighing up to 100 g, is formed. The dry scales of Carmen's onions are painted in a rich burgundy color. Succulent scales have a pink tint of varying pigmentation intensity.
The bulbs reach a certain size depending on the nutrients found in the soil. As a result, all the turnips will be leveled, have approximately the same weight, which gives the total mass of harvested root crops additional decoration. In the photo below you can see bulbs varieties of Carmen.
Carmen's bow is well realized. It draws the attention of the buyer with its brightness, and the hostesses willingly buy it for the preparation of salads and side dishes for fish and meat, marinade and blanks.
Reviews on Carmen's onions have various estimated judgments. For those who like to eat a large amount of fresh onions, this variety is like the semi-sharp taste and unusual color of juicy scales.
Housewives who use onions for cooking hot dishes are discarded because after the heat treatment the scales turn gray and the clear broth becomes cloudy and unattractive in appearance.
Carmen's bow is suitable for long-term storage. Store the crop in a dry cool place, constantly picking up roots. Like all onions, the turnip varieties of Carmen develop bacterial diseases that affect the bottom and juicy scales.
If you can save several copies of large onions by the end of winter, you can plant them to get a chernushka. The result is hybrid seeds that are used to grow onions. Germination of such seeds is very low, because in central Russia there is a short light day, which prevents the seeds of Dutch varieties from ripening.
Attention! For good harvest, you should take only high-quality seedlings, it is especially important to do this in the northern regions, where there is no long summer season. Proper garden neighborhood will also play a positive role in the cultivation of the Carmen variety and will not reduce the final yield.
Between shoots it is better to maintain a distance of 7 cm
How to choose material for planting?
When choosing bulbs for their sowing in the soil is recommended to follow the following recommendations:
- do not take the fruit, having any mechanical damage,
- do not take onions with traces of rot or fungus,
- The selected onion must have a clear shape and be dense,
- Onion sets are always calibrated.
Attention! The seedlings that have a diameter of less than 1 cm, should be planted before winter. If the turnip, as the bulbs are called, has a diameter of more than 10 mm, it is best to keep it until spring sowing.
With proper care, the heads can reach 120 g in weight
Rules storage Carmen bulbs
To obtain a rich harvest, it is important to preserve all the fruits and prevent them from spoilage by rot and fungi. To do this, just follow a few simple rules.
- For seven days, the entire seed is stored indoors or outdoors in a temperature regime of + 23- + 25 degrees.
- After a week, the temperature should be increased by five degrees. After the same period of time, the temperature regime should be +35 degrees.
- At the last stage of raising the temperature, it should reach +42 degrees. In such conditions, the turnips are kept for ten hours.
- After that, the seeds are moved to a closed room, it can be cool or warm, it is important to withstand the conditions of temperature and humidity.
- When storing Carmen’s onions in a warm room, keep the temperature level at the border of + 18- + 20 degrees. Humidity should not exceed 65-70%.
When storing onions Carmen humidity should not exceed 65-70%
More information about how to remove the bow from the garden to storage can be found in our article.
A good storage option is planting Carmen's onions for the winter in the ground. For this, the selected bed is first sprinkled with peat, the layer thickness is 10 cm. After that, the soil is well moistened and not touched until the first frost. As soon as you register the night frosts for three days, you should land all the onions. To do this, first remove the peat at the landing sites, plant a turnip, and again close it with the harvested upper ground. Re-watering the bed does not require.
Attention! If the temperature in the house is high and there is no possibility to lower it, it is better to buy seed directly before planting. Otherwise, under such storage conditions, all fruits will dry out and may become covered with a mealy fungus.
It is best to grow onion Carmen next to tomatoes and carrots
Planting Carmen spring onions
If you managed to save the sevok, it is important to plant it correctly in order to get the necessary harvest. For a good result, you need to plant Carmen's onions in the last week of April or the first week of May. At the beginning of the garden they pour out any fertilizer for the soil and the plant. After that, for each square meter you need to land no more than 700 grams. bulbs.
Top dressing onions Carmen
It is important that when planting over the turnips, the soil layer is not more than 15 mm., As this will prevent proper growth of the seedlings. After planting the bulbs care is simple. It is enough to feed, water and loosen the soil in a timely manner so that the plant receives the required amount of nutrients and air.
When growing Carmen onions, gardeners revealed one pattern. To grow good turnips, it is required to stop the growth of the feather part of the plant. To do this, at the end of June, the green part of the bow is bent to the ground and no longer water the garden. After this, the part of the plant that is underground begins to actively grow.
The harvest is usually collected from the first week of August to the first week of September. At the same time it is recommended not to drag the bulbs, but to carefully dig in them. After collecting all the turnips immediately distributed to the active drying. If the weather is dry and warm, dry turnips can be right on the garden.
Attention! 14 days before the planned harvesting, it is recommended to remove the land from the bulbs, this will allow them to gain even more weight.
Do not store onion Carmen with other varieties, as they may be rot and fungi
Planting onions from seedlings
When using seeds they should definitely germinate.
- In a small wooden box should collect a small amount of land.
- It is treated with a solution of potassium permanganate to kill all harmful bacteria.
- After this, seeds are poured out thickly and lightly covered with soil.
- Be sure to water the future seedlings with a small amount of water at room temperature.
- The box is kept on the window sill until the germs appear, so that sunlight constantly gets on the ground.
- Для ускорения всхода на ящик можно надеть клеенку.
- Рассаду высаживают только в прогретую землю. Идеальным вариантом станет пересадка всходов в конце мая.
- Для защиты рассады грядку можно покрыть пленкой до хорошего тепла.
- After that, the onions are groomed in the usual way, as if they were grown from bulbs.
Attention! When growing Carmen onions from seedlings, you should not touch its green part in order to get the largest bulbs. You can tear the feathers only in late June and early July.
Bulbs better consumed raw
Onion "Carmen" (it is also called "Red" because of the red-brown color of scales) is a two or three-germ variety, has medium dense, rounded flat bulbs, each with an average weight of 55-75 g.
Under the top husks, the turnip has a dark red or purple color, and the inner flesh is bright white with purple stripes. The plant grows to 30-35 cm.
There are distinctive features of Red onions from other varieties:
- yield directly depends on agricultural technology and soil quality,
- vegetable can be cultivated for two seasons, in several stages,
- Onions have a milder taste and juicy fibers compared with yellow varieties.
We list the benefits of onion "Carmen":
- fruits with a semi-sharp taste and pronounced sweetness
- turnips have good keeping quality and can be stored for up to 9 months under the right conditions,
- the grade has one hundred percent maturity,
- high yield.
Culture has some drawbacks when growing:
- does not tolerate a lack of sunlight, which can cause fungal diseases,
- the variety is picky about soil composition.
Characteristics of onions and yield
Onion "Carmen" is very healthy because of its high content of ascorbic acid: fresh turnips contain from 4 to 19.5 mg of vitamin C. Because of this, it is recommended to use vegetables fresh in salads.
Here are some of its characteristics:
- “Red” is saturated with phytoncides, sugars, and dry substances that help the body fight viruses and colds, as well as bad cholesterol and the formation of cancer cells.
- As for yield, this variety is considered early maturing, with a ripening period of 60-90 days when planted with seeds and 45-50 days - seedlings. The upper husk on the turnips begins to turn yellow after 100 days from the time of planting.
- “Red” is a high-yielding variety: 1.5-2.5 kilograms of onions can grow on one square meter, and up to 180 centners can be removed from one hectare.
- This variety is grown onions annual and biennial crop.
Selection of planting material
There are different calibrations of onion sets: from 8 mm to 40 mm.
The size of onions depends on the type of planting:
- 8-14 mm - for winter planting,
- 14-21 mm - for sub-winter (the best size for spring planting),
- 21-24 mm and 24-30 mm - podzimny landing on the feather and for early maturation,
- 30-40 mm - only for green.
Recommendations for choosing onion sets:
- On the package with onion sets, the date of packing, the period of storage and the period of planting shall be indicated.
- Onions should be smooth in color, free from specks, dense, dry and free from damage.
If you purchased onion sets a little damp, it must be dried, scattering in a single layer.
How to choose seeds:
- It is best to buy onion seeds at the end of winter: during this period their cost is much cheaper than if it is done in spring.
- Planting material is recommended to buy only in a specialized store, making sure that it is licensed, and also to check the certificate of quality.
- Packing with seeds must be intact, with no signs of wet or damage.
- On the bag should be an image of the fruit, which coincides with their appearance during harvest.
- On the packaging should be indicated shelf life of seeds: the fresher planting material, the better its germination.
- It is necessary to carefully study the description of the variety on the package, since they sell two types of onions in the distribution network: the middle-season variety “Carmen” and the middle-season “Carmen MC”. The descriptions of both species and their taste are identical, although Carmen MC has white streaks.
- Attention should be paid to the onion recommended by the manufacturer and the type of soil suitable for it.
Necessary conditions for growing onion "Carmen":
- open and sunlit areas are best for onions of this variety,
- the soil on the beds should be loose and nutritious, moderately wet,
- for the growth of culture requires low humidity,
- good seed germination is possible at a temperature of +15. +17 degrees
- good aeration and constant weed control are needed,
- during cultivation, strict observance of the rules of crop rotation is necessary.
Soil and fertilizer
Soil for growing crops should be neutral, with low acidity.
To neutralize acidity, the following steps are needed:
- Late autumn to make a bed of humus.
- In the spring, after the snow melts, sprinkle the area with wood ash or apply a solution of copper sulphate to the treatment.
- Neutralize acidity with limestone.
You can not plant onions for two years in a row on one site (the recommended aging period is 3-4 years). Unsuitable predecessors - garlic.
The following cultures can be suitable precursors:
Before sowing nag it is necessary to prepare. If you skip this procedure, the seedlings can appear only on the 20th day, the prepared seeds will ascend in a week.
Seed preparation before sowing is as follows:
- Soak the seeds in warm water and leave for a day.
- Disinfect in a solution of weak potassium permanganate. You can soak the seeds for 12 hours in 0.01% boric acid.
- Rinse the seeds in clean water.
Content and location
Onion seedlings are grown on warm window sills or heated, glazed balconies, where there is a lot of sunlight. It is desirable that it was the south or southeast side.
For planting seeds, you can use the following capacity:
- small drawers
- narrow mesh cassettes.
Seed planting process
The seed planting procedure is as follows:
- Fill the soil in the tank.
- Pour the ground for disinfection with a weak solution of warm potassium permanganate.
- Make grooves with a distance of 5-6 cm in the box, small recesses in the cells.
- Sow the seeds to a depth of 1.5 cm and level the ground.
- In boxes the seeds are sown thickly, in the cells - one by one seed.
- Pour water at room temperature from the spray can.
- To create a greenhouse effect, cover containers with foil.
- Arrange additional lighting with a fluorescent lamp.
- The temperature mode of cultivation is not lower than +20 degrees.
Care of seedlings
Onion shoots appear after about 6-8 days.
Care of them is as follows:
- Watering moderate, warm water, carried out as the soil dries.
- Before planting, seedlings are fertilized twice with fertilizer purchased from a specialty store or cooked by themselves (1 g of nitrate per 1 liter of water or 5 g of potassium chloride + 20 g of superphosphate + 10 g of urea diluted in 10 l of water). For the first time, seedlings are fed on the 20th day after germination, and then - in two weeks. After the feeding procedure, you should wash the solution with clean water from the green onions.
- For good aeration, it is necessary to carefully loosen the soil the next day after watering.
- Usually, the soil in which black nipples are sown contains weed seeds. It is necessary to regularly remove them so that they do not absorb nutrients from the soil and do not drown out the seedlings.
- It is necessary to shorten the seedlings in the growth stage of the third leaf by 2/3 of the height in order to prevent lodging of seedlings.
- The room with seedlings must be aired daily for a short time (5-10 min.).
- Seven days before planting in open ground, it is necessary to harden the seedlings: increase the ventilation time, reduce moisture and take out the onion seedlings to the open air for 30 minutes at a temperature not lower than +10 degrees.
Transplanting seedlings to ground
In order for the onion seedlings to take root easily, it is necessary to properly transplant it into the open ground.
To do this, follow these steps:
- It is important to remember that the soil for the period of planting should warm up not below +16 degrees. In different regions it may be different dates: the end of April - the end of May.
- Before planting seedlings, beds should be treated with herbicides, dig, cover with film material.
- Pour the soil abundantly in the tanks in which the seedlings are grown, so that when plants are pulled out of it, do not tear the greenery from the bulb.
- Carefully pull out the bulbs with lumps of earth, trying not to damage the roots.
- Make long holes in the garden with 20 cm row spacing.
- To plant the seedlings in the holes at a depth of 3 cm, leaving 5-7 cm between each seedling.
- To level the soil layer, observing its height not more than 1.5 cm above the turnips.
Site selection and soil preparation
Seedlings of onion can be grown both in open ground and in the greenhouse. The difference is that there is a threat of nighttime spring frosts in the open air, and the greenhouse constantly maintains positive air temperatures, which is very comfortable for the seedlings at any time of the day.
Place for planting seedlings in the open field is chosen from the autumn. These should be areas with good solar heating and suitable predecessors.
The soil is prepared as follows:
- Clear the surface of the soil from residual tops and weeds.
- Organic fertilizers mixed with wood ash are scattered on the surface of the site.
- Dig up a plot.
- In the spring they level the surface of the soil with a rake, preparing for planting a seed line.
The process of planting sevka in the ground
Planting onion sets carried out as follows:
- Soil for the day before planting need to moisten.
- Make on the soil surface grooves 4 cm deep and 30-40 cm wide row spacing.
- Dig the onions into the grooves at a distance of 5-8 cm from each other and sprinkle with a layer of earth 2-3 cm so that the tails stick out above the surface.
- After 10-12 days, young onion greens should germinate.
The amount of water and the intensity of crop irrigation depend on the climatic conditions of the region and the abundance of precipitation.
When watering onion sets, you must adhere to certain requirements:
- If there is high humidity in the area, then the bed is made high, with good drainage.
- At the initial stage, watering is carried out every other day. Then the onions are watered 1-2 times in two weeks at a temperature of from +20 to +28 degrees.
- In hot weather (above +30 ° C), the sevka needs watering every 7 days.
- At first, the water consumption for irrigation is 1 square meter. m - 10 l. Further, the water consumption decreases slightly.
- Watering onions is carried out only with warm water +30. +35 degrees. To do this, place metal tanks at the site and fill them with water so that during the day it can settle and heat up in the sun.
- It is necessary to water the onions carefully, without strong pressure, letting water into the aisle to prevent water from entering the neck of the leaves.
- Onions on a feather watered on top of a garden watering can with a spray.
- During the rains, the culture is not watered in order to prevent its rotting due to high humidity.
Soil loosening and weeding
Onions are a demanding crop to aerate the soil, and also he does not like the dominance of weeds.
Therefore, the following measures are necessary:
- The next day after each watering you need to loosen the soil between the rows. This procedure is done shallowly so as not to damage the gentle roots of the set.
- If in the current season the weather with frequent rains, then loosening is made after each rainfall.
- Mandatory regular weeding from weeds, because they prevent the evaporation of excess moisture from the bed, and it threatens the development of fungal diseases and rotting processes in the bulbs.
Feeding is carried out two or three times per season according to the following scheme:
- 2 weeks after planting, nitrogen fertilizers (nitrophosphate, urea) are applied,
- 2 more weeks after the first procedure, the onions are fed with phosphorus-potassium fertilizer,
- after 15 days, you can again repeat the phosphate-potassium fertilizer.
After each fertilization the soil must be watered abundantly. Be sure to wash off the remnants of fertilizer with onion leaflets with warm water from a watering can.
Pests, diseases and prevention
Like other onions, Carmen can suffer from the following pests:
- onion covert,
- onion flies
- stem nematode,
- onion moth,
- root tick.
To avoid the appearance of uninvited guests, the culture must be processed from the moment of the first shoots by spraying with preventive means.
To do this, use the following antifungal drugs:
- Cineba solution (0.04%),
- copper oxychloride solution (0.5%),
- Bordeaux mixture.
During the growing season it is necessary to constantly monitor the condition of the plants, and if drying, pale color of feathers, their twisting or yellowing is detected, then the affected bulbs should be immediately removed.
Harvesting and storage
Harvesting onions "Carmen" is carried out in late summer or early autumn.
To do this, the following steps:
- 30 days before the planned harvest, the onions are watered and the tops are folded to the ground. These actions will allow the turnips to germinate more.
- A suitable time for cleaning will be sunny and dry weather with a light breeze.
- After the feathers dry, the onions are removed from the soil. If the culture grew on light soil (loam, sandstone), then it is enough to take a turnip for the tops and carefully pull it out of the ground. On hard soil, the turnips dig in a shovel or pitchfork, slightly receding from the bulbs so as not to damage them.
- The soil from the bulbs is removed by hand, otherwise when tapping one bulb on another, damage will occur.
- Dug out turnips for 10 days leave to dry in the sun, under a canopy or in the attic, turning them over periodically.
- During cleaning, the heads are sorted: with a wide neck they are deposited and used first, the rest are prepared for long-term storage.
- After drying, the heads of the neck of the bulbs are cut, leaving a tail 5 cm long. You can braid the tops in a braid using twine for strength.
- The roots are cut with a sharp knife under the turnip bottom.
- It is impossible to overdry the bulbs too much so that the outer scales do not crack or separate - this will have a bad effect on the storage of the crop.
If the onion is removed from the highly moistened soil and it is not possible to dry it in the sun due to rains, it should be washed and cleaned from husks, tops and roots. Next, the heads are laid out to dry in a single layer in a well-ventilated room.
After three weeks, new scales form in a single layer on the bow. Such bulbs are stored in the same way as those collected in dry weather.
Braided vegetables are stored suspended. Bows with cut tops placed in boxes or containers. Crop is stored in cool and ventilated rooms with a humidity level of not more than 70% and air temperature not higher than +20 degrees and not lower than 0.
Shelf life of onion "Carmen" - 6 months, shelf life under the right conditions - 9 months.
Possible problems and recommendations
Red onions, like other varieties, can be affected by various diseases and parasites that destroy both feathers and heads. Pre-planting preparation of planting material provides some protection, but errors in growing can trigger fungal diseases.
In order to prevent the need to adhere to the following recommendations:
- do not take planting material from an infected farm,
- Pre-planting of the soil and implements with special means (“Inta-Vir”, “Aktara”, “Iskra”, “Thunder”) is obligatory,
- during the growing season it is recommended to use pest-repellent drugs or plant insecticide plants (garlic, coriander, horseradish, celery, marigold, wormwood, tansy, nasturtium, etc.) next to an onion,
- strictly observe the rules of crop rotation,
- remove all plant residues from the site in the fall,
- carefully inspect the plots for the presence of pests and in time to destroy them with the help of special preparations.
There are also other problems when growing Carmen onions: yellowing of feathers and deterioration of the taste of the turnip (excessive bitterness).
In the first case, you need to establish the cause of yellowing greens.
Here are some reasons:
- lack of nitrogen in the soil,
- onions are affected by pests or diseases
- non-compliance with agrotechnical rules.
To fix the problems, you can apply the tips described above.
In the second case, the causes of bitterness can be the following factors:
To make the vegetable grow less bitter, you need to follow the following guidelines:
- during the growing season to make increased doses of superphosphate,
- follow the schedule of watering, especially in hot weather.
In conclusion, let us say that by growing Carmen onions, one can get high yields with little material investment and effort.
If you apply the proper crop culture techniques, then diseases and pests will not be intimidating to it, and you, in turn, will receive a vitamin product with good taste and long shelf life.
Onion sets Carmen is a variety bred by Dutch breeders. We have it relatively recently, but already popular among the population. It is an early ripe variety ripening within 75-85 days. Its peculiarity is that feathers begin to turn yellow only after 100 days.
Carmen - dvuzhatkovy or trehchatyakovy grade. This onion is stored for a long time after harvest (under normal conditions, the variety tolerates the winter calmly). Bulb weight is 60-80 g, but larger fruits can be grown, which will weigh about 120 g, that is 2 times more than the average weight. Bulbs themselves have an average density, have a rounded flat shape.
Red onions are often called blue or purple in different regions, as dry scales have a darker shade with blue or purple tint.Often inside the bulb is also purple.
Onion sets Carmen has excellent taste. The taste of the vegetable is slightly hot, slightly sweet, very juicy. It can be used in any form, but is best fresh, especially in salads. In addition to excellent taste, it has a fragrant aroma.
Onion Carmen - a storehouse of nutrients. First, it is a huge source of vitamin C. Secondly, it contains a large amount of solids and sugars. Traditional medicine recommends red onions as a means against the formation of cancer cells in the body. Also, this type of onion should be included in the daily diet of people with elevated cholesterol, with constant use, the indicator can be reduced by about 20%.
Diseases and pests
Onions affect more than 50 types of diseases and parasites that destroy ground and underground parts of the plant. Pretreatment of seed protects the crop from the most common infections, but improper cultivation may still trigger fungi.
Recommendations for the prevention of disease:
- process sevok before planting with specialized means that protect the plant for about 120 days,
- do not bring seeds from contaminated farms,
- before planting, work the soil, work tools,
- In the fight against pests, use deterring agents, insecticide plants,
- do not grow onions in the same place for several years in a row to protect the crop from fungal damage. Farmers recommend the return of culture no earlier than 3-4 years. During this time, all infectious diseases disappear.
- never leave plant residues on the site - this is a good environment for the development of diseases.
- carefully inspect the plantation for the presence of insect pests. At the first signs of the appearance of parasites, use special preparations that are sold in hardware stores. Regular processing will protect crops from unwanted guests.
Growing onions in your plot according to the rules that are specified in this article, you get a high yield with a minimum investment of finances and strength. Under simple conditions, no diseases and pests will be terrible to this vegetable. The bulbs are stored for a long time, preserving the taste during the entire period.