Fragrant Ruta is a medicinal plant used in pharmacology and traditional medicine. On the basis of phyto-raw materials they produce products that help in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, the musculoskeletal system and the reproductive system. Infusions and decoctions of rue fragrant suitable for both internal and external use. Before applying the herb for therapeutic purposes, you need to familiarize yourself with its beneficial properties and contraindications to receive, because the root is fragrant - it is a poisonous plant.
Fragrant Ruta is a perennial herb that looks like semi-shrubs.
- straight and durable stem, which reaches 70 centimeters in height,
- the leaves are oblong, having small dots that resemble perforation,
- flowers are characterized by a light green tint,
- fruits resemble spherical boxes,
- seeds are black, angular.
Flowering root in June and July. The plant is common in the Crimea and the Kaliningrad region. You can meet a fragrant rue on dry rocky slopes and rocks.
In pharmacology and traditional medicine use the ground part of the plant - leaves and inflorescences. Raw materials are harvested during the flowering period of the crop. The juice of the grass causes skin burns, so you need to collect the plant with your hands, protected by rubber gloves. Dried raw materials in the form of beams in the open air. The dry plant is stored in glass containers or in paper bags.
Rutu can not only be prepared independently, but also purchased at the pharmacy.
The composition of medicinal raw materials:
- essential oils,
- vitamin C,
- organic acids.
Due to this composition, fragrant rue is actively used in the manufacture of traditional medicine, the use of which has been known for many years.
Sweet rue has a pronounced sedative, antimicrobial, antispasmodic action.
- relieves skin inflammation in case of pink acne, acne, furunculosis, dermatitis,
- eliminates nervous tension and neuralgia,
- due to the high concentration of rutin strengthens the walls of blood vessels,
- normalizes biliary tract tone,
- increases the acidity of gastric juice,
- has a regenerating effect on hemorrhoids,
- cures worm infestation,
- due to the high concentration of phytohormones, it normalizes hormones in women,
- in men, the fragrant root restores libido.
Due to the powerful anesthetic action of the root, fragrant is used in the production of the pharmacological drug Akofit used in the treatment of sciatica.
On the basis of the plant, the drug Ascorutin is prescribed, prescribed to patients with increased fragility of the capillary walls.
Contraindications for taking plant-based drugs include:
- bleeding disorder,
- gastritis with high acidity,
- age up to 12 years.
Ruta fragrant is a medicinal herb that has an abortifacient effect, which is why it is contraindicated for pregnant women.
Funds on the basis of the rue taken orally in the form of infusion, tea and tea. At home, the plant is used externally in the form of medicinal lotions, compresses and ointments. Features of taking medicines from the rue depend on the disease requiring treatment.
Fragrant Ruta is among the most popular medicinal plants, widely used in medicine in Europe. For medicinal purposes, mainly fresh or dried grass is used. Preparations from the rue are widely used in gynecological practice, they are prescribed for algomenorrhea, hypomenstrual syndrome, with neurasthenia in menopause, and also for the regulation of weak menstruation in adolescence as an estrogenic agent. Due to the anesthetic effect of the root was part of the drug "Akofin" (Radiculin). In small doses, the root enhances intestinal motility, improves the flow of bile from the gallbladder. Rutin contained in the grass belongs to the vitamins of group P, which strengthens the capillaries, is available in the form of tablets mixed with ascorbic acid. The fragrant rut is used in case of overwork and nervous excitability, especially with vegetative neurosis as a sedative. In addition, the root is used as an antispasmodic in the treatment of insomnia and headache. According to some sources, the use of rut oil in aromatherapy for head and ear pain, sprains and rheumatism is recommended.
Ruta is included in the pharmacopoeia of many countries, but it requires a very careful attitude to the application. Since the plant is poisonous, its overdose causes irritation of the mucous membranes of the digestive tract, swelling of the tongue and larynx, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, disruption of the liver and kidneys. Preparations from the rue are contraindicated in pregnancy, uterine bleeding, hypotension, hyperacid gastritis and gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, colitis, acidity, and during menstruation.
Fragrant Ruta (lat. Ruta graveolens) - a type of rue genus (lat. Ruta) of the subfamily actually ruta (lat. Rutoideae), family (lat. Rutaceae). The genus includes 7 species, among which are grass or dwarf shrubs. The homeland of the rue is the European and African coasts of the Mediterranean, found mainly in the eastern hemisphere from the Canary Islands to South-West Asia.
Perennial herb with a strong odor. Stem erect (10-30 cm tall). Leafless flowering shoots. The leaves are simple, alternate, without stipules, in the shape of an ovate-triangular, double-, three-pinnate, with oblong-obovate obtuse lobes. Usually leaves with translucent dots - glands with essential oils. The flowers are bisexual, regular, yellow, collected in the apical loose corymbose inflorescence. Perianth double. Petals in number 4, on the top form a small helmet, narrowed at the base of the claw, sepals are quite dense. Fruit - spherical chetyrehgnezdny box. Flowering rue in June - July. The fruits ripen in September.
The flowers of the rue are protoandrich, pollinated by insects (usually small floral flies). The original devices for cross-pollination at the rue is the ability of the stamens and the column to perform certain movements in the flowering process, as a result of which they assume a different position relative to the column with the stigma. During flowering, the flowers of the rue are widely open and at the beginning of the stamen lies on strongly concave hood-shaped petals and sepals. Then, one after another, they are lifted one after another and the anthers are opened in a vertical position, after the pollen has erupted, the first stamen deviates downwards and takes the same position. Then all the others make such movements one after another. Due to the stamen movement, at the time of ripening of the stigma, self-pollination is prevented, but at the end of flowering, on the contrary, it is provided. The formula of the flower of rue: * CH5L5T10P4-5.
Preparation of raw materials
For medicinal purposes, use fresh or dried grass. Procurement of raw materials produced during flowering. Gather grass - leafy twigs with buds and with 1-2 blossoming flowers, usually in rubber gloves, because the juice can cause burns (in the form of watery blisters) and edema. Twigs no longer than 20 cm are cut with shears. Dry the raw materials in a shady place in bundles. The finished raw material of green rue, it is stored in a well-closed glass or metal container in a dry, dark place, as the light of the rue fades and loses activity. The shelf life of raw materials for 2 years.
The fragrant leaves contain alkaloids - 0.2%, essential oil - 1.2%, flavocrutine, furonumarin, furocoumarins, xantoxin, rutin, coumarin - 0.1%, umbelliferon, bergapten, flavonoids - rutin, quercitin more than 2%, as well as organic acids (malic, valeric), vitamin C, bitterness and resinous substances.
The drugs have anticonvulsant, diuretic, hemostatic, estrogenic properties, as well as enhance the contraction of the uterus, stimulate the appetite. The substances contained in the root (coumarins, flavonoids - rutin and quercitin) have a vessel-strengthening and antispasmodic effect. In addition, coumarin - umbelliferon, together with bergapten, increases skin sensitivity near UV rays.
Use in traditional medicine
In folk medicine, fragrant rut is widely used in the form of teas, fees, tinctures and tinctures both inwardly and externally. Infusion of herbs rue used as a disinfectant for flushing the eyes with conjunctivitis. For inflammation of the eyelids and skin rashes, a decoction of the herb is used for compresses and lotions. Broth rue is also used for frostbite, pink acne, fungal skin diseases and boils. In folk medicine fragrant rut is used for neurosis, as a general tonic, antiseptic, anticonvulsant, and also as an antihelminthic and means that reduces rheumatic, neuralgic pains and migraine headaches. Ruta has a good effect with frequent urination, impotence, fragility of blood vessels, rickets and myopia. Tincture of the rue is used for varicose dilatation and the treatment of many other diseases. In Indian traditional medicine, fragrant root is used as a stimulant, antiseptic and abortifacient. Ruta is included in fees for the treatment of diseases of the liver, heart, colds and cough.
- Biological Encyclopedic Dictionary (ed. MS Gilyarov). M. 1986. 820 p.
2. Blinov KF, et al. Botanico-pharmacognostic dictionary. Ed. K. F. Blinova, G. P. Yakovlev. M .: Higher. Shk., 1990.S. 233.
3. Yelenevsky A.G., M.P. Solovyov, V.N. Tikhomirov // Botanica. Systematics of higher or terrestrial plants. M. 2004. 420 p.
4. Plant life (ed. By AL Takhtadzhyan) 1982. T. 5 (2). Pp. 159-162.
5. Zamyatin N.G. Medicinal plants. M. 1998. 496 p.
6. Kovaleva N. G. Ruta fragrant // Treatment with plants. Essays on herbal medicine. M .: Medicine, 1972. - p. 214.
7. Medicinal properties of agricultural plants / Ed. M.I. Borisova.
8. Minsk: Urajay, 1974.S. 105. 336 p.
9. Peshkova G.I., Schroeter A.I. Plants in home cosmetics and dermatology. Directory. SME. 2001 684 p.
Medicinal properties of fragrant rue
Freshly cut grass contains fragrant ruts from up to 0.15% of essential oil and glucoside rutin, which has the property of lowering blood pressure and strengthening fragile peripheral blood vessels (capillaries).
Thanks to the routine contained in the root of the fragrant, the plant is of great importance in scientific medicine. Fragrant Ruta is also used in folk medicine in the form of simple decoctions or the so-called rutovoy oil (tincture on Provencal oil).
Preparations from the rue help with:
- abdominal pains (cramps),
- shortness of breath
- with general weakness
- with poor digestion in the stomach,
- with convulsions and hysteria (tea from the rue and valerian, mixed in equal parts, drink sips, one glass per day),
- heart palpitations
- epilepsy (tincture).
By the way, the root is a fragrant good refreshing agent for the oral cavity (the plant is chewed).
With scant menstruation (with pain in the lower abdomen) use fragrant rue mixed with parsley (2 parts of herb and 1 part of parsley), 2 teaspoons of the mixture per cup of boiling water, drink in 3 doses during the day.
To festering eyes make a lotion from the diluted fresh juice of the herb of the rue fragrant or decoction of the rue.
To wounds and bruises with bruises, apply juice, decoction or powder from the herb of the rue fragrant mixed with honey.Juice of rue fragrant canned for the winter. Photo: Wikipedia
Fragrant rue juice gives a good healing effect, therefore it is recommended to preserve it for the winter period: mix 1 part of rue juice (or leaves) with 6 parts of alcohol, stand for 10 days in a warm, dark place, strain (if the juice is made from leaves). Use canned juice like tincture from a fragrant rue.
Methods of use of drugs:
- Broth from rue: 5.0 or 10.0 to 200.0, one tablespoon three times a day.
- Tincture from rue: 15.0, 10-15 drops 3 times a day.
Herb rue fragrant and its beneficial properties
From this article you will learn:
Ruta fragrant or fragrant (lat. Rúta graveólens ) - shrub, grows in a wild state in southern Europe and the Crimea on stony, sunlit places.
Brief Botanical Reference: photos and description of the plant
Fragrant Ruta is a herbaceous plant, shrub that is perennial.
Belongs to the rut family.
It has a very strong stem and can reach a height of seventy centimeters.
Young shoots fragrant rue green-gray color.
The leaves are very interesting - if you look at the lumen, it will seem that they are all spotted with small holes.
This is due to the fact that there are small dots on the leaves of the rue.
Photo of grass rue fragrant
Video about the root of fragrant
The flowers of this plant are green-yellow. Fruits - ball-like boxes of four to five "nests" with a diameter of 5-7 millimeters.
The seeds are black, slightly angular.
The homeland of this shrub is Southern Europe.
Grass rue is ubiquitous throughout China, Japan, as well as in the Crimea and Ukraine.
Medicinal properties of herbs
Her infusions and remedies with the addition of this herb strengthen the body, increase immunity, fight viruses and bacteria, relieve inflammation, convulsions, stop bleeding, promote healing of wounds on the body.
Its application removes spasm of the urinary and biliary tract, improves the flow of bile, urine output, relieves tension in the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract.
Blood pressure is well reduced and the heart is calmed by reducing the number of heartbeats.
Perfectly proven herb root for the treatment of gastritis with low acidity, abdominal cramps.
With its help, bronchitis, pneumonia, arrhythmias, heart failure, hemorrhoids, neuroses, dizziness and irregularities in the menstrual cycle are also healed.
The benefits of using this wonderful spice is also in the fact that it has unique detoxifying properties. So strong that it is used even with snake bites.
This is an excellent anthelmintic, anesthetic for diseases such as rheumatism, neuralgia, lumbago, facial paralysis, sciatica, neuritis, which is caused by infection and many others.
Ruta fragrant application in traditional medicine
Consider the main ways of using the plant in traditional medicine:
- rue with sage and vinegar will relieve from anemia and fever,
- By mixing this ground plant with soda, you can get rid of warts,
- in case of paralysis and inflammation of the sciatic nerve, the root will help with its ingestion, like tea and adding it to honey compresses, which alleviate the condition,
- improve with its help and visual acuity. For this purpose it is necessary to mix this spice with fennel juice,
- This grass possesses properties that restore potency,
- during conjunctivitis, the root is brewed like tea and the eyes are washed with this infusion,
- with boils on the gums, rinse with mouth water,
- Ruta perfectly refreshes the oral cavity, is a part of dental elixirs.
- with problems of appetite, it is very good to drink an infusion from this plant,
- indispensable thing to strengthen the stomach, eliminate tinnitus, remove the smell of onions and garlic from the mouth,
- helps with epilepsy, flatulence, hypothermia in the lumbar region, dropsy.
- has anthelmintic action.
- able to relieve rheumatic and neuralgic pains, headache.
- grass rue is part of choleretic and diuretic fees
- Flowers rue are part of the infusions for the treatment of bronchial asthma.
Ruta is a perennial herb, sometimes found in the form of a half-shrub grayish-green shade. The stems of the plants are straight, branchy, slightly lumbering near the base, reach a height of 20 to 50 cm. The leaves of the rue are alternate, do not have stipules and contain essential oil with a strong pleasant aroma. The lower and middle leaves are placed on long petioles, while the upper ones are sedentary.
The flowers of the plant are regular, bisexual and four-dimensional. They have a yellow-green shade and are collected in the half-full inflorescence. Sepals have a triangular shape, reach a length of 2.5 mm. Petals are boat-shaped, yellow, 6–9 mm long. The fruits of the rue are presented in the form of a four- or five-nest box, the length of which is up to 7 mm. Each box contains black seeds that have a lateral germ and endosperm.
Science knows about 40 species of this plant, but the most common are:
- big leaf (Ruta macrophylla)
- mountain (Ruta montana)
- fragrant (Ruta graveolens)
- winter (Ruta chalepensis)
- garden (Ruta hortensis)
- narrow-leaved (Ruta angustifolia)
Tincture on vodka
Dry plant in the amount of 15 grams pour vodka (100 ml.) And insist in a dark place for fourteen days, occasionally stirring the infusion.
It is necessary to take 10-15 drops three times a day half an hour before meals.
It perfectly helps with all violations of the digestive tract - from indigestion in the stomach to lack of appetite, flatulence, etc.
Ruta fragrant application in cooking
But be careful in using fragrant rue: even if you are well tolerated by its biological properties, a strong aroma and taste can dominate the taste of the dish.
Herb rue is very fragrant, so it is successfully used in cooking.
- With its help they flavor all sorts of teas, cocktails, compotes, add to medicinal infusions, use in the preparation of various liqueurs and brandies.
- In meat dishes and various sauces, this spice is simply irreplaceable.
- In fish dishes, when added to a salad, in dishes with vegetables, eggs, mushrooms, with game and lamb, with any hard and soft cheeses, this spice is very appropriate.
- Use this spice in a dry and fresh form.
- Any dish will play a new way, if you add a little rue into it.
- It is combined with a lot of spices - with marjoram, rosemary, sage, garlic and thyme.
- Leaves of rue are used as a seasoning for salads, stews.
- The special taste is acquired with rue lamb dishes.
- In Europe, cheese is sometimes flavored with curd products and hard cheeses.
- Leaves of rue are added to the marinade when canning cucumbers, tomatoes and mixed vegetables.
How to harvest grass root?
It is recommended to harvest it during the period of the most active flowering.
When collecting, you must be very careful and use rubber gloves, especially for people who suffer from various forms of allergies, as the fresh juice of this plant has an unpleasant feature to provoke its aggravation.
The tops of this plant are cut, thoroughly washed and dried naturally in the shade, where good access to fresh air is best done in the attic, under some kind of shed without direct access to the sun's rays.
You can do this in special dryers, you only need to carefully watch that the drying temperature of this raw material does not exceed forty degrees.
Store dried grass root in a tightly closed container in a dark and preferably cool place.
The term of use of the harvested raw materials is no more than one year, provided that all the rules of storage of this plant are observed.
Contraindications and precautions for the use of fragrant rue
You can not categorically take drugs from the rue to people with individual intolerance to this plant, during pregnancy and lactation, as well as young children.
This spice should always be used strictly in minimal quantities! Overdose is dangerous.
At primary use of a plant serious poisoning is possible.
In gastritis with high acidity of gastric juice, with low blood pressure, fragrant root is contraindicated.
Therapeutic dosages of rue in broths and infusions are used under the supervision of a doctor!
Try these real organic spices and spices.
Preparation and storage of fragrant rue
For medicinal purposes, mainly herb fragrant rue is used. Her preparation is carried out during the flowering period of the plant. Due to the fact that fresh juice of this shrub can cause allergies, it is better to collect raw materials in rubber gloves. Cut the tops washed, dried in the shade, in a well-ventilated attic, under a canopy or in special dryers at a temperature not exceeding forty degrees.
It is recommended to store dry fragrant rue for one year in a well-closed container in a dark place.
Healing properties of fragrant rue
- Fragrant root has an antiseptic, tonic, anti-inflammatory, anticonvulsant, hemostatic, wound-healing effect.
- The plant relieves spasms of the urinary and biliary tract, smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, increasing the flow of bile, improving urination, reducing the rhythm of heart contractions and blood pressure.
- Preparations prepared on the basis of fragrant rue are recommended to be used in case of gastrointestinal diseases: colic, gastritis with low acidity. In addition, they must be taken in people who have bronchitis, pneumonia, arrhythmia, heart failure, hemorrhoids or dizziness, neurosis, urolithiasis, menstrual disorders.
Where is growing
This perennial plant can be found in the temperate zone of Asia, in Northeast Africa, as well as in the Mediterranean, in North and South America. Therefore, almost every continent people know about this plant.
In Russia, only one species of this genus is growing - Ruta fragrant. This is an annual plant, it freezes out at the first frost. Only in the west of the country can this plant survive the winter in the soil. In Russia, the root is mainly grown as an ornamental or spicy plant. On the territory of Poland and Ukraine, the root is used for medicinal purposes and is added to food. Although its healing properties are rarely used, as the plant belongs to the poisonous.
A method of making spices
- Before the flowering of the rue, only its leaves are collected, while it is necessary to be in rubber gloves to avoid allergic reactions after it is touched.
- The leaves should be dried in places with good ventilation away from direct sunlight, so you can use attics, sheds or dryers, where the air temperature should not exceed 30 degrees.
- Dried grass gets a pleasant aroma and no longer causes skin rashes.
- Dry leaves must be stored in paper bags for no more than one year.
- Before using the spice leaves must be chopped.
Dry crushed leaves perfectly emphasize the taste of fish dishes, give them a special aroma, a bit like a rose. Also, in a dry form, leaves are added to lamb, vegetable salads, egg dishes or cheeses. Spice in the form of powder is added to a large number of dishes from meat, fish, vegetables or mushrooms. Vinegar due to this spice acquires a special pleasant aroma.
Fresh grass has an unpleasant smell, moreover, it is very poisonous and it is not desirable to eat it, it can cause burns not only of the skin of the hands, but also of the mucous membranes of the mouth, stomach and other tissues of the body.
- The plant has a fragrant smell, which after drying is very similar to the smell of a rose.
- Ruta is spicy, savory and bitter in taste.
- It gives dishes a special flavor and a pleasant taste.
- Ruta blooms in June and July, and fruits can be collected in August and September.
- This plant can be propagated in two ways: vegetatively or with the help of seeds.
- Ruta is a poisonous plant, so it should be used with extreme caution.
- Ruta is an anti-inflammatory agent, therefore it is widely used in dentistry.
- Infusions and decoctions from this plant have an antibacterial effect on the body.
- Ruta helps get rid of worms.
- Plant components have sedative and anticonvulsant properties.
- Broth rue is used as a tonic and tonic.
- For external use, the root is used in the form of lotions and for rinsing.
- Plant juice has a detoxification effect on the body.
Ruta is a poisonous plant, so you need to be careful with it. If you use this herb in large quantities, a large accumulation of essential oils can disrupt the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, which appears increased salivation and swelling of the tongue. Sometimes there are cases of intoxication, which are accompanied by a slow pulse, a decrease in body temperature, and sometimes loss of consciousness.
You can not touch the plant with your hands, because after contact with skin allergy occurs, which is manifested by swelling, itching, redness, and a rash in the form of watery blisters. It is strictly forbidden to use the root during pregnancy and lactation.
- In the form of seasoning, rue is added to vegetable salads or other vegetable dishes.
- Dried leaves perfectly complement the taste of meat fillings or lamb stew.
- Ruta serves as an excellent flavoring vinegar.
- This plant is added to the preservation of tomatoes or cucumbers.
- Ruta gives a special flavor to cocktails made from vegetables or berries.
- Spicy bitterness of the rue harmoniously complements cranberry drinks and sandwiches (black bread with butter).
In order not to spoil the dish, you need to keep a certain proportion. So, for 1 serving it is necessary to take no more than 0.15 grams of rue. Ruta is in perfect harmony with other spices like thyme, rosemary, garlic, marjoram, cumin, sage. This seasoning is added a few minutes before the dish is completely cooked, because under the action of heat treatment the useful properties and flavor are lost.
Ruta belongs to unpretentious plants, because it perfectly tolerates the absence of moisture and can germinate in direct sunlight. It can be planted in any garden soil. If you use calcareous, rubbly, loamy or carbonate soils, then the root will feel great.
This plant can be propagated in various ways: using seeds, using cuttings or dividing a bush.
First, the soil should be prepared: dig up the soil to about half a meter in depth and apply mineral fertilizers. Sowing the plant occurs in the middle or late fall, as well as in the first spring month.
If the plant is grown with the help of seeds, they must be planted in early March in home pots and wait for seedlings to emerge. When the leaves reach 3-4 phases of development, then the root can be swooped. She is seated in separate pots, because in this way, the plant will be stronger for planting in open ground. Seedlings are planted in early July. Special care is not necessary, then from time to time we need to make weeding, feeding and loosening.
If the seeds are sown immediately in the soil in early spring, then you should know that the consumption of seeds increases significantly, and the plant can be used as an ornamental only after a year.
For planting use a wide-row method, with the width between rows should be from 70 to 100 cm. Seeds of rue are planted to a depth of 2-3 cm. When the first shoots appear, it is necessary to thin the planting at intervals of 20-25 cm. You can occasionally feed the plant with mineral fertilizer . The plant is a perennial, so perfectly tolerates cold without additional shelter. For rue diseases and pests are not typical.