Hortensia is a small tree or shrub from the family Hortensia. It captivates the hearts of flower growers with its decorative look: lush green foliage covered with hats of pyramidal or spherical inflorescences.
A variety of petal colors allows you to create in your garden a paradise for every taste. The flowers are pink, red, white, blue, purple and even blue.
There are about 80 types of hydrangeas. However, not all of them withstand frosty winters. What types and varieties are most suitable for Russian gardens? What conditions need to be created to enjoy the bright riot of colors?
Hortensia paniculata is one of the most appropriate ornamental species for Russian gardens. It grows on average up to 3 meters, in especially good conditions - up to 5 meters. The pubescent leaves of an elliptical shape reach a length of 12 cm. The flowers are gathered in paniculate pyramidal inflorescence.
Flowering begins in June and lasts until October, but the peak occurs in August and September.
Only blooming buds have a greenish color, over time they acquire a white or cream shade, and in the fall - pink or slightly purple color.
Inflorescences emit a delicate pleasant aroma, thanks to which they are good honey plants.
Paniculate hydrangea prefers to grow in partial shade or shadebecause its inflorescences shrink in the sun. It should be protected from wind and drafts. The species is frost resistant, some varieties can tolerate up to -25 degrees.
Because of this, they can be grown in the central and northern parts of Russia. With sufficient snow cover, the plant in winter does not need shelter; without snow, light shelter is necessary.
In areas without severe frosts, bush planting can be done both in spring and autumn, in the northern regions it is better in spring. Since hydrangea paniculata grows rapidly, it needs annual spring pruning. It will not adversely affect future flowering, since the buds of this species appear on the shoots of the current year.
Among the wide variety of types of hydrangea paniculata the most popular are:
- Grandiflora - has dense inflorescences about 30 cm long. The flowers are sterile, at first white, by the autumn they become pinkish. Bush height of about 2 meters.
- Kyushu - frost resistant. The height of the bush - 1.5-2 meters. White inflorescences get pink color in autumn.
- Brussels Lace - large inflorescences are ivory.
- Pinky Winky - a bush 1,5-2 meters high. It has conical inflorescences, acquiring a pink-purple color. Sterile flowers predominate. Flowering period - from August to October.
- Limelight - the height of the bush up to 2 meters. It has dense inflorescences of sterile greenish flowers, turning pink by autumn.
- Dart’s Little Dot is an undersized variety up to 1 meter high. It has a cory pink inflorescence.
- Phantom - bush up to 3 meters high. It has very large pyramidal inflorescences of a cream-white color, turning red by autumn.
- Vanille Fraise - the height of the bush about 2 meters. Large conical inflorescences initially have a white color, then turn pink, and by the autumn become almost red.
Large-leaved hydrangea reaches a height of about 2 meters. It has upright stems and simple green leaves. Large spherical or umbellate inflorescences can be pink, white, blue or lilac.
Their color depends on the acidity of the soil: on alkaline and neutral soil it will be white or pink, on acidic it will be blue or blue. Flowering period - from August to September.
Large-leaved hydrangea is a thermophilic plant. She also prefers bright places, but without hitting the scorching rays of the sun.
Demanding on the composition of the soil: does not tolerate lime soil.
This species is not very frost resistant. Buds appear on the shoots of the past and the current year. Often in conditions of a harsh winter, young shoots freeze slightly. In the end - flowering in the summer or not at all, or it is very scarce.
Therefore, it is important to cover large-leaved hydrangea for the winter with non-woven material, straw or lapniki. In the spring, it is important to open the plant in time so that it does not bloom. Another option - in the fall to pick up a bush in the greenhouse, and for the winter - in the basement.
- Ever Peppermint - shrub up to 70 cm. Two-colored flowers have a pink or blue center (depending on the acidity of the soil) and bright edges.
- Red Sensation - bush height up to 80 cm. It has burgundy stems and red flowers. Blossoms 2 times: on the shoots of the past and the current year.
- Expression - a bush up to 80 cm high. Pink or blue terry flowers are collected in large corymbose inflorescences. It blooms from July to the cold.
- Endless Summer - blooms on the shoots of the current and last year. It has large blue or white flowers.
- Romans - has double flowers, collected in large spherical inflorescences with a diameter of about 20 cm. Resistant to frost.
Hydrangea tree is a bush with a height from 1 to 2.5 meters. Oblong with notches leaves have long petioles. Top sheet plate is green, bottom - light, bluish.
Inflorescences have a flat or spherical shape and reach a diameter of 15-20 cm. Buds appear on the shoots of the current year. In the lush and airy inflorescences fruiting flowers prevail.
Tree hydrangea is suitable for growing beginner growers, because it is unpretentious, shade-tolerant and frost-resistant. An increase of about 30 cm per year ensures rapid growth. After 3 years, a small sapling turns into a beautiful bush. It blooms for a long time: from the beginning of summer to September.
This type of soil is unpretentious, but likes abundant and regular watering, does not tolerate drought. Prefers a shadow or a penumbra.
It does not require special preparation for winter, as it can well winter without shelter. But nevertheless it is better to hide young copies.
Pruning branches in early spring contributes to the rapid restoration of the bush after winter.
Hydrangea tree does not have a rich varietal diversity. The most popular varieties for Russian gardens are:
- Incrediball - height of the bush up to 1.5 meters. It affects large spherical inflorescences of white.
- Annabelle is a powerful bush with a height of 1-1.5 meters. Green leaves in length reach 10-15 cm. White spherical inflorescences can reach 25 cm in diameter. The look possesses high frost resistance.
- Invincibelle Spirit - a new breeding variety. Just blooming inflorescences have a dark pink color, which by the autumn brightens a bit.
- Sterilis is a bush 1.5-2 meters tall, with a diameter of crown up to 2.5 meters. Large hemispheric inflorescences first have a greenish tint, with time they become snow-white. The flowering period - from July to late autumn.
- Hayes Starburst - the height of the bush to 1.5 meters. Resistant to pests and diseases. It has spherical white inflorescences with a diameter of up to 25 cm. Terry flowers.
The stalked hydrangea is a vine, which can be 25 meters long. The leaves are dark green, have the shape of a heart. Sterile and fruiting flowers are collected in inflorescences-shields with a diameter of 10-20 cm. Their color varies from white-green to lilac.
With the help of aerial roots and suckers, the plant weaves up the support. It can be used for decorating walls, arches, arbors, tree trunks. However, due to the fact that the species does not tolerate severe frosts, it is recommended to remove the vine from the supports for the winter and cover it.
The stalked hydrangea is also used as a ground cover plant that forms a thick green carpet. In this case, the plant will not bloom.
The most popular varieties of hydrangea are the stalked:
- Kordifoliya - undersized frost-resistant variety up to 1.5 meters high. Pyramid-paniculate inflorescence consists of creamy fruit-bearing flowers and sterile white along the edges. It has a pleasant honey aroma.
- Miranda - up to 6 meters. The peculiarity of the variety is wide sawed leaves with a cream or yellow border.
- Petiolaris - the highest grade, up to 25 meters high. It can move along the ground or braid support.
The arboreal hydrangea is a two-meter shrub with red shoots. Green leaves are shaped like oak leaves. By the fall, the foliage takes on a crimson color, so even a non-flowering shrub has a beautiful decorative appearance. White fragrant flowers are collected in spike inflorescences. It blooms from early summer until September.
The place for landing should be chosen in a shadow or a penumbra, protected from drafts and wind. This type of soil prefers fertile, without lime.
Watering - moderate. Oakolistnaya hydrangea is not very resistant to frost, so it requires a winter shelter. Pruning of the bush is carried out in spring or autumn.
Suitable for the southern regions of Russia.
Radiating hydrangea is an erect shrub with pubescent shoots up to 2.5 meters high. Dark green jagged leaves have a half heart shape.
The thyroid inflorescence has fruitful cream flowers in the middle and white sterile at the edges. The flowering period lasts a month, starting in July. The fruits ripen in September.
This type of photophilous, prefers high humidity and fertile soil.
Its frost resistance is low, so for the winter it is necessary to have a spruce or dry foliage shelter.
But if the bush and freeze, in the spring it quickly recovers and blooms. Suitable for cultivation in the southern regions of Russia. Used in group plantings on lawns or for curb plantings along paths.
Ashen hydrangea is a erect shrub with downy shoots up to 2 meters high. Leaves up to 15 cm long, round or heart-shaped. The top of the sheet plate is bright green, the downy bottom is gray. Shield-shaped inflorescences reach 15 cm in diameter. It blooms from mid-summer to September.
The view is warm and moisture-loving. Not too picky about soil composition. It has an average frost resistance, but even if it freezes, the spring quickly recovers and blooms on young shoots. It is recommended to cover for the winter.
Suitable for cultivation in the south of Russia. Effectively looks as a hedge and in group landings. Dried flowers are used for dry bouquets.
The serrate hydrangea is a tree shrub up to 1.5 meters high. Shoots pubescent or naked. Ovate, pubescent leaves are green in color.
Spherical inflorescences have white and blue flowers, small in the middle and larger at the edges.
Color varies depending on the acidity of the soil. Flowering lasts from July to September.
This species likes moderate watering.. Not too demanding to care, rarely affected by pests and diseases. It has moderate frost resistance. In the winter it is better to cover with spruce leaves or dry foliage.
Sargent Hortensia is distinguished by large pubescent leaves up to 25 cm long. They are round or heart-shaped in shape. Shoots - thick and bristly. The inflorescences of this species are corymbose, consist of pale purple fruit-bearing flowers and white sterile, located at the edges.
Hortensia Sargent needs a well-lit area and moist soil. In winter, its entire elevated part freezes out, but in spring the shoots grow to a height of 1 meter and bloom in July. In winter, all the shoots are cut off, and the root system is covered with spruce leaves or fallen leaves.
Recommended for cultivation in the southern regions of Russia.
What types and varieties are easiest to grow in the garden or in the country
The criteria for the simplicity of growing a certain type of hydrangea are its frost resistance, care preferences, requirements for soil, irrigation, and light.
The most suitable species for Russia are the Hydrangea Paniculata and Hydrangea Treelike. They are hardy enough, rarely freeze slightly and not too demanding to care. Even with minimal time and effort it is possible to grow lush and beautiful flowering bushes.
Large-leaved hydrangea is less cold-resistant, more demanding on soil composition and irrigation. It is recommended rather for tub and pot growing.
Other types of hydrangeas also require a lot of attention and create certain conditions for their successful growth.
How to locate hydrangeas with each other
For planting hydrangea, a hole is dug, measuring 40x60 cm. Its depth varies from 35 to 70 cm, depending on the size of the seedling. To get a free hedge, you need to dig a meter strip.
The distance between adult specimens should be 1.5-2.5 meters.. To get a flower "bouquet" early, the fossa is marked out after 0.7-1 meters, and after a few years the group is thinned.
Knowing the characteristics of each species and variety, you can choose the best option for your garden. And then the luxurious hydrangea will surprise you with the pomp of foliage and the bright riot of hats-inflorescences!
In the article, you learned what types and varieties of hydrangeas are suitable for growing in Russian gardens. About the care of hydrangeas in the garden can be found here.
What types and varieties of hydrangeas are suitable for Russian gardens
Hortensia is a plant that grows like a shrub or tree and belongs to the family Hortensia. Today, breeders and gardeners have many varieties and types of hydrangea, but not all of them can grow in the climatic conditions of Russia.
Because of this, it is worth considering the most popular species and varieties that can perfectly grow in the latitudes of our country and decorate them:
- Paniculata, which grows up to 8-10 meters, its homeland is China and Japan - The plant has leaves in the form of an ellipse, very slightly pubescent from above, and more pubescent at the bottom, the length of which is 12 cm. The flowers are gathered into a panicle, characterized by a strong aroma. Varieties that are optimal for planting and growing in Russia - Grandiflora,BrusselsLace,Kyushu,Limelight,Mathilda,PinkyWinky.
- Large-leaved or as it is also called garden - a perennial, decorative growing shrub, reaching a height of 2 meters, and has standing upright stems. The color range of flowers of garden hydrangea is diverse - it all depends on the level of acidity of the soil, the leaf - simple, oval, green, blooms - from August to November. Varieties that are optimal for planting in the regions of Russia are Expression, EverPeppermint,RedSensation and EndlessSummer.
- The tree is a fairly unpretentious shrub and is frost resistant, due to which it can winter in middle latitudes, without needing to be covered. The bush grows to a height of 2.5-3 meters, the stems grow straight, bare, the leaf of the plant is smooth and round, the flowers are of different colors. Varieties - Annabelle and Sterilis, HayesStarburst and InvincibelleSpirit, Incrediballthat are optimal for growing in the Russian middle and southern latitudes.
- Chereshkovaya is a very rare variety in its variety, since it grows in the form of creepers, the length of which reaches 25 m. At the same time, it can grow vertically on the support provided. The plant has smooth foliage, white or pink flowers, formed between themselves in the shield - the best place to plant it is penumbra in the southern and middle regions of the country.
- Dubolistnaya - a perennial plant, reaching a height of 2 meters, has a stem of red shade, and got its own name because of the similarity of the leaves with oak foliage. The flowers form a panicle between themselves and bloom from June to September.
- Radiant - shrub, reaching a height of 2-2.5 meters with oval, lanceolate foliage, pointed. This hydrangea blooms with white flowers, gathered in shields from mid-summer, and lasts only a month. Frost resistance is low, which requires covering rhizomes in winter and therefore is optimal for gardens in the southern regions of the country.
- Ash, which is a shrub reaching a height of 2 meters, has wide, egg-shaped leaves, loves moisture. Its flowers form inflorescences, perfectly tolerate frost and is optimal for creating a hedge. Feels great in the warm, southern regions of the country.
- Timber - a shrub whose height can reach up to 1.5 meters, with a spreading crown, oval and finally pointed leaves, bright green color. The presented hydrangea is an annual, its inflorescences are collected in a ball, the color of which directly depends on the acidity of the soil. It blooms from mid-summer to September.
Dignity of hydrangea
If you planted this plant in your garden, you made a wonderful choice and you will not regret having fallen in love with hydrangea from the early days, despite the variety or the species.
The plant itself will be a whole summer to please you with its flowers and aroma - today, selectors have deduced more than 80 species and varieties, which can be grown both in southern regions and in middle and northern latitudes.
If the moment is missed and the plant is cut off - the hydrangea can react badly and may not lead at all during the summer. In the spring it is cut, removing frozen branches to the level of healthy and live wood, and also remove weak and shoots that only thicken the bush, plus, shortening all the branches, giving shape, leaving 5 buds.
Watering is best done with separated or rainwater - so at least 2 buckets per week should be brought under each bush. It is optimal to conduct watering either early in the morning or in the evening, after the heat subsides.
Куст к зиме готовят заблаговременно, и это состоит не только в обрезке. Большинство сортов нуждаются в укрытии и для этого ее корневую систему облаживают лапником и сухой листвой, иголками, сверху обложив ящиками и коробками.
Гортензия: виды и сорта
Now there are about 80 varieties of plants, the distinctive feature of which are dense inflorescences of various shapes and colors. There are varieties of hydrangea with early and late flowering, they can be planted one by one or combined to decorate the garden throughout the summer-autumn period. Now let's talk in more detail about the types of ornamental plants and varieties.
Garden hydrangea paniculate varieties suitable for planting in open ground in areas where the minimum temperature drops to -25 o C. All paniculate shrubs were bred on the basis of trees, which are home to the Far East, China and Japan. Original plants reach up to 10 m, as a result of breeding varieties were obtained with a height of not more than 3.5 m.
Different decorative, panicled varieties for planting are widely used. The peculiarity of such varieties - cone-shaped dense inflorescences, because of which the plants got their name. Consider the most popular types of panicle hydrangea with photos.
Limelight - a bush with a beautiful form of crown up to 2 m in height. In mid-summer, the plant produces inflorescences, the length of which in the blossoming phase reaches 25-30 cm. The name justifies the color: the white with a lemon shade of the panicle look spectacular on the garden bed. By the end of summer, the flowers turn white, and by the autumn they get a pink hue.
Hydrangea Limelight has an average frost resistance (can withstand up to -25 o frost), so in the northern regions it is recommended to grow shrubs in pots in order to hide the plant for milder conditions in winter
Vanille fraise - a bush up to 2 m high with spectacular dense panicles in pink and white colors. The plant is adapted to our conditions and survives when the air temperature reaches -40 o C. Even if last year’s branches are frozen, young shoots will fully bloom. Flowering occurs in July and lasts 2-3 months. In the first half of the flowering phase, white predominates, and in September the hydrangea becomes strawberry-pink, except for the tops. The shrub easily propagates: it is enough to prikopat escape, without breaking it off from the main bush, before rooting, after which the branch is separated from the parent plant.
When planting Vanille fraise hydrangea bushes in open ground, it is better to choose places with sufficient illumination, but without access to direct sunlight at the peak of heat. If you follow the rules of care, the length of peduncles reaches 30 cm. Due to its unpretentiousness, this hydrangea of many species and varieties is ideal for Russian gardens.
Grandiflora is a floriferous plant, reaching a height of 3 meters, the crown is developing in the same size. Pyramidal panicles consist of sterile flowers, collected at the ends of the shoots. The color of flowers is predominantly creamy white, by the middle of the period it is snow white, and with the onset of autumn it is pink. Good resistance to frost, unpretentiousness and beauty of huge flower cones made the variety one of the favorite for the Russians.
Phantom (Pink) and Pinky Vinky varieties, popular in the former CIS countries, also have the ability to change color from cream or white to pink.
Kyushu (Kyushu) is a white hydrangea variety adapted to the middle lane. Forms pyramidal openwork inflorescences of fertile flowers in the center and sterile - at the edges, emit a subtle delicate fragrance. The shrub grows to 2-2.5 m, good for penumbra. Fully developed by 4-5 years, and only then happy flowering. By the end of flowering cones turn pink.
Diamond Rouge (Diamond Rouge) - a plant with a height of 1.5-2 meters with gorgeous dense buds, quickly acquiring a red color with crimson notes. The shrub blooms profusely from July to September and does not require complex care.
Wim`s Red is a dome-shaped one and a half meter shrub, hydrangea with a sharp range of colors from white at the beginning of flowering to burgundy in the autumn.
As a result of successful crossbreeding of cultures, breeders brought out shrubs up to 1 meter in height, which are also paniculate hydrangeas, but with more compact crown sizes. These include such varieties: Bobo (Bobo), Little Lime, Magical Fire and others. As for higher brothers, it is advisable to choose a landing site not in the scorching sun, but due to compactness, low-growing hydrangeas look more effective in the foreground.
Sadovaya called large-leaved hydrangea, which grows to a height of 2 m and has a beautiful dark green foliage. In central Russia, hydrangea needs wintering or pot cultivation with the exception of a few species. The category of large shrubs has the widest color palette, and therefore enjoys wide popularity. The inflorescences in the garden-type plants are large, have the shape of a ball or umbrella.
Flowers of large-leaved hydrangea often form in autumn before the onset of frost, some shrubs are characterized by repeated flowering. Planting a garden hydrangea in open ground will not be a problem in the southern regions of Russia, for the central regions it is better to choose varieties with appropriate frost resistance characteristics.
There are a lot of varieties suitable for a temperate climate zone, we chose the most unusual and beautiful ones:
- Magical Opal - inflorescences with a heterogeneous green-pink color, bright and original,
- Forever & Ever Peppermint - a low bush up to 1 m, flowers with a bright border, bright in the middle,
- Altona - flowers of a uniform bright color are collected in big balls,
- Wesser Falls - light pink umbrella inflorescences, incredibly delicate, like lace,
- Ecopink Puff - has magnificent balls of many flowers, has a pleasant light pink shade,
- Pappilon - the plant is characterized by the shape of flowers and long flowering.
Each of these varieties can grow in temperate climates. Feature of garden shrubs - the dependence of color on the composition of the soil. With different acidity in the soil, one variety can drastically change the shade, the color varies from bright blue to purple-pink and white.
Hydrangea in the original design of the site
We will not keep clear of such a variety of shrub as a pedunculate hydrangea. This species resembles a vine, reaching a length of up to 25 meters. This sort can be chosen for decoration of arbors or facades, decoration of recreation areas. The plant winds on a support, in its absence it will behave like a groundcover culture. The hydrangea leaves are smooth, the flowers are fragrant, bright, gathered in shields.
Oak-leaved hydrangea is distinguished by carved foliage, which in other varieties has an oval or rounded shape. Shrubs grow up to 2 meters, lush crown. Young plants do not respond well to frost, so these hydrangea varieties for Russian gardens are relevant in the southern regions. An additional decoration of the bush in September are the leaves, which become red.
Summer residents and lovers of original plants living in the south of Russia can afford to grow ashy, sawed, radiant shrubs, Sargent hydrangea with bright thyroid inflorescences.
Choosing the right variety is a crucial step on which the success of growing hydrangea depends. This is a flower that requires a bit of your attention, but the correct location of the shrub and unobtrusive care will give fruits in the form of a beautiful plant with lush buds after 2-3 years.