The US state of Illinois, with its hot, humid summer, devastating tornadoes and winter snow storms, is the birthplace of many modern blackberry varieties of the garden.
It was there, at the University of Carbondale, by hybridizing the Darrow variety with Thornfrey and the US1482 breeding number that the superstar of Russian gardens was obtained - the blackberry Black Satin. Initially zoned for Illinois and California, she very quickly seized the landing areas throughout Europe and acclimatized in Russia.
Planting and care
BlackBerry's place for planting BlackBerry is better to choose sunny, protected from drafts, with light fertile ground. This variety does not tolerate stagnation of water, so drainage should be done on wet soils.
It is better to place seedlings on a permanent place in spring. However, if the planting material purchased in the fall, it does not matter: planting a plant in the fall, you need to take care of its shelter and care.
The blackness of the Black Satin variety is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it allows you to shoot good yields. On the other hand, it creates difficulties for sheltering an adult plant for the winter. The shoots of this blackberry bend very badly. There are two ways out.Bunches of Black Satin
"Raising" the correct position of the vine
Do not allow the plant to drive out upright shoots too far. Already when they reach the length of 35-40 cm, it is necessary to bend the branch to the ground and fix it. When the vine is 1.2 meters long, you can free it and put it on a trellis horizontally. For the winter, the escape with a bend is easily removed and placed under the shelter.
At home, the BlackBerry Blackberry is formed into a compact bush according to this scheme:
- in the middle of summer, annual growths pinch the tops at a height of 110 cm, stimulating the growth of lateral shoots,
- in early spring, before the buds wake up, the lateral shoots normalize: they grow below the 45-centimeter mark from the ground, the rest is shortened to a length of 40 cm,
- in the fall, the branches that are thrown off are cut out.
Delete spent "rags" need in any case. Blackberry vine, like crimson, has a two-year development cycle, and after the second year it will only thicken the bush and promote the spread of gray rot.
To obtain annual good yields, the blackberry must be fed from the third year of life according to the scheme:
- Spring - nitrogen (5 kg of humus and 10 g of urea per 1 m 2),
- autumn - potassium and phosphorus (100 g of superphosphate and 25 g of potash fertilizers).
Diseases and pests
Basically, this variety is resistant to damage by major blackberry diseases. The exception is gray rot, which has already been mentioned. Its pathogen, botrytis gray - mold fungus, which is used in winemaking.
It can strike the plant already in the flowering phase. If it is cold rainy weather, whole inflorescences may suffer. In the later stages of the growing season, botrytis sits on the ovaries and fruits. Sick with gray rot, the berry looks as if rotten, covered with gray cannon. Therefore, it is better to take preventive measures in advance than to lose the harvest.
- The lower branches should not lie on the ground. In the wet ground are stored spores of botrytis.
- You can not allow the thickening of the bush. All vegetative parts of the plant must be ventilated.
- Remove ripe berries in a timely manner and remove rotted ones. Finding a sick escape, cut it out and burn it.
- In the spring, before flowering, spray the bush with Bordeaux mixture (3% solution).
Of the blackberry blackberry pests, blackberry mites are dangerous. This tiny insect can halve the harvest of berries. Unlike many other pests, the mite does not go to hibernate in the soil or under the bark. It settles right in the blackberry buds, and in the spring it migrates to inflorescences and berries. The fruits struck by this pest do not ripen, remaining reddish.
You can fight this scourge with Tiovit Jet, which is usually used to process grapes. Spraying should be done before bud break.Sprig with juicy berries Black Satin
3 facts about blackberry black satin
- Researcher Fumiomi Takeda from the Appalachian Research Station conducted experiments with this variety. Blackberries were divided into groups, forming them with a different number of lashes: 3, 6, 9 and 12. The purpose of the experiment was to determine whether the number of shoots affects the yield of the plant. The result was curious: in terms of the total mass, Black Satin produced exactly the same result in all groups. The difference was in the size of the berries.
- Working with Blackberry Satin’s experienced Blackberry plantations, the same Fumiomi Takeda invented the rotary trellis. This device allows you to cover the plant for the winter without removing the lash from the garter. It is enough just to translate it from the “summer” position to the “winter” one.
- It is believed that Black Satin is difficult to propagate because it does not give root offspring. However, the practice of experienced gardeners shows that this variety is rooted quite easily by the tips of the shoots. A good lower side shoot is selected, pressed against the ground, fixed with a shackle, and buried. The procedure is carried out in the middle of summer. In the fall, you can separate the seedling from the mother plant and place it in a permanent place.
Growing blackberry: photo
The fruits of BlackBerry Black Satin are similar in color to black silk, for which the variety got its name. Characteristics of Blackberry Black Black Satin
A distinctive feature of the Black Satin variety blackberry is the absence of thorns. Young shoots have a bright green color, but as they grow they turn brown, which creates a beautiful contrast with green leaves. Bushes give annual gains, root growth is absent.
The first bloom begins in late May, or early June. Gentle purple flowers become white as they grow. The variety belongs to the fast-growing, adult bushes reach 7 meters in height. At first, the branches grow vertically, but when the bush grows, they change direction, like creeping plants.
Blackberry Sateen Blackberry Feature - Changing Flower Coloring from Violet to Pale White
Black Satin means black silk and berries fully justify the name of the variety. Ripe glossy fruits resemble silk matter, the shape is rounded, slightly elongated. The approximate weight of one berry is 4 grams, the largest can weigh 8-10 grams.
Maturation begins in late July and lasts until the end of October. The berries have a pleasant taste with a slight sourness. With proper watering and care, you can achieve maximum yield and improve taste (increase sugar content). With an adult bush can collect up to 20 kg of berries per season.
The advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The variety has many advantages. Due to the deep root system, the plant tolerates drought perfectly. Shrub equally well in the sun and in partial shade.
Blackberry Black Satin does not spread across the site. This feature is important for gardeners who create different compositions from plants. The variety is resistant to many pests and diseases, so the use of chemicals is not required for cultivation.
Blackberry Black Satin is a tall perennial plant, notable for its lack of thorns and decorative qualities.
The lack of thorns greatly facilitates the process of picking berries. Harvest can be obtained in the second year after planting. The entire period of fruiting the ripening of berries goes almost continuously. Ripe fruits, ovaries and flowers can be found on one hand. Even after full harvest, the next day the plant will produce a new breed.
Berries are not only tasty, but also healthy. They contain many vitamins and minerals, and the leaves are used in traditional medicine for the preparation of decoctions, teas, and infusions.
Ripening berries Black Satin occurs throughout the entire period of fruiting.
The Black Satin variety has some drawbacks:
- It is not used by landscape designers due to the rigidity of the shoots. They break under the influence of mechanical force, so the plant is almost impossible to give the desired shape.
- It is important to harvest in time - if you miss the deadline, the berries become tasteless, soft, and are affected by rot.
- Fruits do not have good keeping quality and transportability. Harvest should be used during the day.
It is recommended to tie the young shoots so that they maintain a horizontal position. This must be done before they have acquired characteristic stiffness. Otherwise, the bush grows too high - it becomes uncomfortable to harvest and care.
Blackberry Black Satin - landing and care
Blackberry of this variety prefers loose black soil, does not like an excess of moisture. Stagnant water can lead to decay of the rhizome. The plant develops well in the shade, but the best growth is observed in sunny areas, barred from the wind. It is not recommended to choose saline and limestone soils for cultivation.
When choosing a place for planting a Blackberry Black Satin, keep in mind that she does not like the winds and excess moisture
The best time to plant blackberries in the ground - early spring. Can be planted in the fall - in late September. In this case, young shrubs must be carefully wrapped for the winter.
The plant should be transplanted to a permanent place before the vegetative season - in May and June. Pre-soil:
- pits are dug up to half a meter in depth, keeping a distance of 1-2 meters between the bushes,
- places for landing plentifully watered
- seedlings are carefully placed in pits and sprinkled with fresh soil,
- the soil near the plant should be needled or large sawdust,
- 2-3 shoots are left on young shoots, the rest is cut.
To get a good harvest of sweet berries, you need to follow the basic rules of care. After planting, the blackberry is tied up, and the shoots are directed in such a way that it is convenient to tie them to the supports, taking into account the flexibility of the branches and their further development.
The growth of blackberry branches must be directed so that it does not grow too high
The land around the seedlings should be regularly loosened and weeded. From the second year on, the bushes are fertilized with nitrogen fertilizers. Blackberries love water, so regular watering is necessary. On one bush about 1-2 buckets of water are required.
Black Satin is resistant to diseases and parasites, but for the prevention of blackberry mite, it should be sprayed with infusion of horsetail. In the first year of life to fertilize the bushes is not necessary. The first feeding start from the second year of life.
General rules for caring for blackberries can be found in our material.
Pruning and reproduction of culture
Breeding options varieties Black Satin quite a lot:
The most productive and easiest way is rooting of non-woody tops. The procedure is carried out in July or August in the following way:
- choose healthy shoots about 30 cm long,
- dig a furrow in a suitable place with a depth of 20 cm,
- the branches gently bend and tie up so that they touch the ground with the tops,
- prepare small oblong pits with a depth of 5-10 cm,
- the tops are laid and buried in trenches so that the soil level above them is 10 cm.
In order to develop the bush evenly, regular pruning should be carried out. The first shoots are cut in the year of planting in the summer shears. In a two-year-old shrub form side branches, shortening them to 40 cm, so that the plant receives enough light.
Blackberry Satin Forming Blackberry Trim
Shrub rhizomes tolerate cold, but the upper part can freeze at low temperatures. Therefore, plants are recommended to cover for the winter.
Blackberry Black Satin - reviews about the variety
Gardeners reviews about the variety are mostly positive. Blackberry celebrates crop stability. Berries do not shrink with time, despite the heavy loads.
One of the advantages of culture - unpretentious care. Even if you visit the cottage only on weekends, and there is no possibility for regular watering, you can count on a good harvest.
The beginning of the blackberry bloom Black Satin
I love green fences, so I immediately appreciated the decorative qualities of Blackberry Black Satin. Planted near the fence plants perform the function of a living curtain, look very natural and spectacular. For me, delicious berries are just a nice bonus.
Marianna, 30 years old, Moscow
I grow Black Satin for sale and am very pleased with the result. Blackberry has an excellent presentation and has a high yield. This type is well suited for commercial enterprises, but it is important to arrange sales in advance, as it is very poorly stored.
Egor, 40, Krasnodar
Blackberry Black Satin has been growing at my dacha for 3 years already. I grow shrubs vertically, without spreading the branches to the side, and tied to the net, stretched at the gazebo - like grapes. My grandchildren love the big tasty berries, and I like to relax in the shade of the bramble that he creates.
Raisa, 62 years old, Tyumen
Black Sateen growing up to create shade in the gazebo
I really like Blackberry Black Satin. But it is important to remember that the berries are not suitable for long-term storage. I try to harvest in such a way as to distribute it in one day. I harvest with sugar, dry land, freeze, make compotes and preserves.
Natalia, 42, Kaliningrad
I discovered this sort of blackberry 5 years ago. I really like the fact that berries do not shrink over the years. Every season the bushes make me happy with a bountiful harvest.
Tatiana, 38, Penza
Blackberry Black Satin - unpretentious perennial culture that will decorate any garden, thanks to the excellent decorative properties. Observing the basic rules of care, you get a beautiful green area on the site, and a stable tasty harvest of healthy berries.