Legend is an early winter variety obtained at the Moscow Institute of Horticulture by Professor Kichina V.V. in 1982 during the hybridization of the varieties рус Cowberry ’and‘ Fuji ’.
Small tree, in height reaches 3 meters. It has a rounded, dense, compact crown and shortened internodes of annual thickened shoots. The shoots are medium-sized, rounded, gray, bare, compactly arranged.
The leaves are small, ovate, smooth, dark green in color.
Frost varieties Legend good. The resistance of apple to pests and diseases is high. Drought resistance is average.
The variety is skoroplodny. The first fruits appear already at the 2nd year of the tree’s life. On 5 - 7 year the tree begins to give the full harvest.
Fruiting kolchatochnogo type, annual, but with the fluctuation of yield by year.
The fruits ripen in early October. Possessing sufficient keeping quality, they are stored until January.
Productivity is high and very high. With standard agricultural technology it reaches 100 kg per tree or 30 - 40 t / ha.
The fruits of the apple tree Legend are large and very large, reach a weight of 200 g or more, have the shape of a truncated cone, slightly finted. All apples are uniform in shape and size.
The stem is of medium thickness and medium in size, the saucer is not very wide, the calyx is half-open or open. The funnel is deep, with light rust. Seeds are medium and large, brown in color.
The main color is greenish yellow. The cover color of apples is saturated red, occupying almost the entire surface. Darker very short stripes are rarely scattered on the surface of the fruit. Many well-marked top points. The skin is smooth, dense, shiny.
The taste is sweet, caramel, dessert type. The aroma is strong. Cream-colored flesh, grainy, very juicy, chipping type. Tasting assessment of the fruit is 4.2 points.
Legend apples are used fresh, and are also suitable for all types of processing.
Criteria for selecting the desired variety
Apples are pleased with a rich set of varieties - the cottager has plenty to choose from. The downside of this choice is that choosing the best variety of the best varieties is not a trivial task. Selection Criteria:
- Frost resistance - the more north the region, the stronger the apple tree must resist the cold.
- Resistance to diseases that, if an apple tree is infected with them, negates the enclosed works on growing the crop.
- The juiciness of apples, their size - the fruits are small or large, sour or sweet. Sweetness is determined by the color of the peel: the redder the apple is, the sweeter it is, and the greener the acidity. Each color has its own advantages, and under the peel of any fruit you can find not only tasty pulp, but also a lot of useful substances.
- The size of a tree is whether it is dwarf or highly growing.
- When the crop ripens: early, in the summer or later, in the autumn. Summer residents planted late - and early ripening varieties on one site to get the crop stretched in time.
Under these points, the apple tree most relevant to the variety of legend. This is a very good variety: one of the most frost-resistant, overtakes Antonovka by this criterion. Pleasant gaze trees with lush and dense crown, smiling cheerfully dark red, large apples. Juicy fruits cause the admiring crunch of households and the rustling of the paper money taken out of the purses of buyers. Commercially successful variety: few what a gardener gets upset after its acquisition.
We give a detailed description of the Legend, adding to it tips on growing and using the crop.
Introduction to the story
Many gardeners prefer to plant on plots of proven varieties, such as Antonovka, Bely Pour or Anis. These apple trees have many advantages that outweigh the disadvantages, and their cultivation does not cause problems. Ways to grow and achieve a harvest from Antonovka or White Pouring have been worked out for generations. Experienced gardeners know the nuances, notice deviations in time and successfully receive the harvest year after year.
But conservatism has another side: growing favorite old varieties, people miss the best, more delicious, cold-resistant and easy-care apples. Breeders: professionals, accountable to agricultural research institutes, and amateurs, each year bring to the market more and more new, improved varieties of apple trees. Hybrids possessing the virtues of their "parents" and devoid of their shortcomings. Such "kids" are more tenacious than old apple trees, and their fruits are often larger and tastier.
Creating a new variety is a laborious job and its result is not always worth the effort.
Many hybrids are much worse than their ancestors, do not stand the test. Only proven "newcomers" have the opportunity to go to the "open sea" of the market and get to the sites of industrialists and private traders. The best hybrids become "parents" of new varieties.
Most of which are unpretentious and do not require any special, special actions during cultivation. The gardener, who for decades leads to the harvest of old varieties, will as well grow a hybrid. The title of one of the best hybrid varieties on the market is "Legend", derived on the basis of the Japanese "Fuji" and Moscow varieties "Cowberry".
In order to fully realize the beauty and greatness of the "Legends", it is worth saying a few words about her parents.
- Grade Fuji was bred from the American Rolls Janet and Delishes. Apples shake their sweetness and size, but the apple tree does not like frost. The legend inherited not only the advantages of Fuji, but also the virtues of its American parent.
- Lingonberry is an apple-tree of small size with small red-yellow apples. The legend got from cowberry its winter hardiness.
The "Legend" was created in 1982, thanks to the work of Professor V. Kichin, at the Moscow Institute. From that moment began her triumphal march through the world.
Characteristics of the "Legends" strongly distinguish this variety of apple trees against the background of its fellows, we consider them in more detail.
- "Legend" is an early winter variety. Ripe apples of these varieties reach in the fall: they are harvested from September to October.
- Skoroplodna. The first few crops appear in the second year of the tree's life. The full harvest of apple trees gives for the fifth - seventh year after planting. Fruits are brought every year, although the abundance of the harvest varies depending on the climate, the quality of tree care, and other troubles.
- The tree grows up to 3 meters high. The crown is small, neat and rounded. The small size of the rich green leaves is egg-shaped.
- > The fruits of the Legend apple tree reach an average size of 140 to 160 g, but there are also very large specimens up to 200 and even up to 250 grams in some cases. The apples have the shape of a truncated cone. The creamy, grainy and very tender flesh covers the dense and shiny skin. Bright red skin on the main green-yellow color, with small dots and stripes. The taste is sweet, caramel type. Pleasant, expressive aroma. It is good to enjoy fruits of a grade in fresh look, but also they can be subjected to heat treatment, to use for preparation of a different sort of desserts and dishes.
- It is frost-resistant - it withstands a decrease in temperature at the level of Antonovka and even stronger cold.
- Resistance to diseases and pests is satisfactory, meets the standards of popular varieties.
A few tips on planting
The main reason for failures in the cultivation of any sort of apples, not only the "Legends" - the choice of seedlings. This is due to the purchase of planting material from questionable producers, so before you buy an apple tree you should make sure that:
- The seller, from whose hands you acquire the plant, has sufficient authority for a person of this kind of activity, or reputation among buyers. Often unscrupulous growers sell seedlings of the wrong sort that the customer wants to buy.
- Another problem that awaits people according to the ill will of unscrupulous sellers is the purchase of dried seedlings. Producers soak dried planting material in the water, returning it a fresh look, but this is only an external gloss - these seedlings are already inanimate, and they can no longer be reanimated. A damaged seedling will not grow into a tree, no matter how much effort or money is spent on it.
- It is important when buying carefully inspect the seedling for damage or signs of disease and pests. If any traces were found, the purchase will have to be abandoned. Inspect and the state of the root system, since its seed health and development depends on how successfully the seedling will germinate, and whether it will get on the site.
Planting apple "Legend" is not different from landing on the site of another apple.
Saplings suitable for planting fertile and loose soil, with not too close groundwater. And the future landing site should be covered from strong winds that are able to break or tilt the young trees. Variety "Legend" is quite unpretentious, but improperly carried out planting can hack all the efforts on the vine.
- Planting pits for trees should be prepared three weeks before planting. The earth will settle down with time, and if at this moment there will already be a sapling in the pits, then the soil will be broken by a young tree. The diameter of the pit is chosen individually for the seedling root system, and the depth is about one meter. Digging up the earth, the upper, fertile soil layer is laid for later use.
- The stake burned on one side is carefully dug into the center of the pit.
- Fill the bottom of the pit with a nutrient mixture from the upper fertile layer of the earth, peat and humus.
- A month later, the pit is ready to plant a seedling into it. Before planting, carefully straighten the roots and plant a seedling north of the peg. Many seedlings die because beginning gardeners bury them too deeply in a hole. Properly plant a sapling so that its root collar remains 5 cm above the ground.
- Seedling tied to a peg.
- Planting activities end abundant irrigation of the earth. So that the saplings on the new place could settle down and grow, they are fed with liquid fertilizers. The recipe for this fertilizer: urea, nitrate or manure mixed with a bucket of water. Feeding is repeated every two weeks three times.
Apple trees, which are properly looked after, compare favorably with the trees that grow without looking at the owners. This thesis concerns the Legend variety as well as other apple varieties. Gardeners get good harvests who spend time fertilizing the soil, feeding the roots, pruning the crown and rationing the crop.
- It is important to clean the stalk soil from weeds so that they do not take away the nutrients intended for apple trees.
- Apple trees need abundant watering, especially on dry summer days. In hot weather, fruit trees are watered once a week. The best way to water fruit trees is sprinkling. Young apple trees need two to three buckets of water during one irrigation, the number of liters of water increases with age, three to five summer trees require five to eight buckets, and mature and old trees are watered at a time ten to fifteen buckets of water.
- The purpose of soil loosening is to provide air access to the roots. This event is recommended to be held regularly, especially after heavy rains.
- For the successful growth and fruiting of fruit trees, they are fed up. The first spring feeding is carried out in the middle of spring - at the end of April: the soil around the trunk is fertilized abundantly with manure and urea. At the beginning of flowering trees, but only in dry weather, use liquid top dressing from potassium sulphide and urea. Before and after the event, the ground on which grows an apple tree, thoroughly moisturize. The following feeding is carried out during the pouring of apples, during this period the variety “Legend” is saturated with a solution of nitrophoska. The last top dressing in the year is carried out in the fall - fertilizer: potassium sulphate and superphosphate, are scattered or diluted in water and moistened with a solution of the soil.
- Spring care activities for apple trees include the removal of old, damaged, frostbite and spoiled branches. Pruning is completed before sap flow begins. Activities also include crown molding to protect the tree from diseases and pests, as well as to give it a neat appearance. Formation of the crown will take several years - from five to six. To form a crown, branches are tied to pegs, to a trunk, with clothespins if a dwarf tree grows, or by sticking loads to branches, so that they grow downwards. In addition to old and broken branches, pruned vertically growing branches.
- Rationing harvest. Apple varieties tend to give a rich harvest, distributing nutrients between apples, and if the latter will be too much for the tree: the taste of the fruits spoil and they grow small. First of all, pruned apples are pruned.
Pests and diseases
Fruit trees are prone to disease. Pests do not lag behind diseases: ticks, moths, moths - the number of insects that can eat a tree, its crop or all together is large. Protection against pests and infections includes:
- Destruction of weeds, diseased branches, dying fruits, removal of dead grass.
- Whitewashing trunks.
- Treatment of wounds, cracks and other damage.
- Spraying trees with Bordeaux mixture and nitrofen solution in early spring.
- It is important to identify the disease early. A frequent disease in apple trees is scab. Trees catch this disease in the rainy season. The first signs of scab: brown scurf on the leaves and cracks through which an infection penetrates the plant. Fungicides are used against scab, say “Fitolavin”. The defeat of scab leads to the appearance of fruit rot, which develops and spoils the fruit: apples become soft and change color. Another common disease is cytosporosis, which arises due to inadequate care of the apple trees, improper watering, and the impoverishment of the soil. Symptoms - ulcers on the trunk and branches, gradually deepening and affecting the tree completely. An apple tree, deeply affected by cytosporosis, can’t be saved anymore - it dies; the only way to save the tree is to begin treating it immediately after the first symptoms appear.
The variety "Legend" is suitable for growing for both novice and experienced gardeners.
Characteristics and description of the apple "Legend"
The tree is medium height, height reaches 2.5-3 meters in height. The krone accurate not sprawling, dense, gets round shape. The leaves are egg-shaped, the size is medium, the surface of the plates is smooth and shiny, painted in emerald color. The shoots and trunk are painted gray with brown tint.
The fruits are oval-conical, large, the skin is yellow-green with a red blush over the entire surface of the apples. The flesh is white with a slight green-yellow tint, fine-grained, dense, caramel flavor, with a wonderful rich apple flavor. On average, weight reaches 170-200 grams. The “Legend” variety is distinguished by high yields; from one adult tree it is possible to collect 90-100 kilograms of fruit. The plant shows high resistance to frost. The tree confronts scab and other bacterial and fungal diseases. The apple tree has an average drought tolerance.
It differs from other varieties in its precocity, begins to give birth in the second year after planting on the site. At 5-7 year the tree begins to bear fruit in full force, from this point you can collect maximum yields. Fruits ripen by October. Stored for 3-4 months, then begin to rot. Suitable for fresh consumption and any type of processing: cooking compotes, drying, cooking desserts, juices, jams, jams, etc. You can grow in central Russia, the South, even in Siberia and the Urals.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Legend variety
Apple tree began to gain its popularity among gardeners since its entry into the state registry. The main advantages include:
- high level of frost resistance
- in the care of the apple is unpretentious,
- resistant to bacterial and fungal diseases,
- excellent taste of fruits,
The disadvantage is the irregularity of yield, which can be either at a very high level or at a low level.
Growing and caring for an apple tree
- Before planting an apple tree, you need to find a place where it will grow. Fruit culture does not like shading, so highlight a sunny spot on your plot.
- Apple trees do not like sour soil, so in order to reduce acidity, one month before planting, add lime or dolomite flour to the soil (0.5 kg. Per 1 m²).
- The pit is dug about 70-75 centimeters deep and 60-80 centimeters wide, but still be guided by the size of the seedling's root system. At the bottom of the pit lay 10 kg. rotted manure, a kilogram of wood ash and 300 grams of superphosphate.
- The plant is placed in a prepared well and carefully covered with soil, the root collar does not fall asleep, after which the seedling is watered, consumption is 50-60 liters of water. A peg is placed near the tree for tying. Он необходим для того, чтобы по мере роста саженец не клонился, а рос прямо.
- Высаживать яблоню нужно на расстоянии 3-4 метров от других деревьев, чтобы растению было пространство для роста.
- Поливать саженец нужно каждую неделю на протяжении первого месяца.
- Высаживать яблоню можно весной и осенью. But, for example, in Siberia and in the Volga region, it is recommended to plant the plants in spring so that they can take root well.
- Pruning fruit crops is held in the fall. This procedure allows you to: improve the tree, increase the passage of air between the branches, which will reduce the likelihood of the appearance of diseases and pests, increase the yield next year.
- As feedings use rotted manure, superphosphate, wood ash. It is recommended to fertilize apple trees at least in spring and autumn.
- To protect the trees from pests and rodents, the tree trunk is bleached. To get whitewash you need to take 5 liters of water and dilute 1-1.5 kilograms of quicklime into it.
To summarize, we can say that the Legends apple tree perfect option not only for those who have long been dealing with garden plants, but also for beginners who do not have much experience in growing fruit trees.
She lives up to her name: legendary characteristics and excellent harvest quality!