I love it when there are fresh flowers at home. Therefore, on each window-sill I have several “seasonal” flowerpots. Some of them "wake up" in the summer, others in the winter. And only one plant - the wardia - I grow not for the sake of colorful petals, but for the sake of cheerful berries.
Coral tree, mountain ash, necklace, Christmas tree - this is how people call it.
And, although there are no benefits from its berries (they are not edible), but the bush is not terrible - the air is not poisonous, and even if children cluck a berry or two for curiosity, they are not threatened. Although, of course, you just shouldn't eat berries like that - you never know ...
What is she like
Like most fashionable vases in today's time, airdozia was brought from the tropics of America. It is also common in the forests of Asia, Australia.
The genus name from Greek means “arrow” - indeed, the flowers of the plant resemble miniature arrows.
They appear in mid-December (although, depending on the variety, they can bloom in other seasons - in late spring, in the middle of summer). Most often their petals are white, sometimes pink.
Very quickly, they are replaced by berries, for which, in fact, the tree is grown. They may be white or pinkish at first, but then become scarlet (less often black - it depends on the type of wardia).
Ripe berries for several months, leaving one seed at a time.
Leaves look interesting too. They are shaped like a glossy “boat” with slightly wavy edges. Often at the edges of a sheet plate it is possible to grope swellings. Do not worry, this is not a disease - here (and also in the roots), the plant has particular bacteria that help the flower to absorb nitrogen directly from the air. Without them, airdo will dry up.
In the wild, wardia can be a tree, shrub or shrub. Most often it grows up to 2 meters, although other types fall short to eight. In our homes, this is a miniature pot tree with one trunk. The whole year it is considered to be an ornamental leaf, and on New Year's Eve it is decorated with berries.
Types of flower that are sold to us
In this genus counted up to 800 species. True, “tame” turned out just a few, and even less was hit in our stores.
- Ardiziya gorodchataya (krenat). The most popular type. In most of the photos, this is a small pot, but if you grow a roll for a long time, it will grow to the ceiling. Her flowers are white or creamy, smell good. Depending on the variety, berries can last from several months to a whole year. There are varieties not only with scarlet, but with cream or white berries.
- Curly. Named so because of the wavy edges of the leaves. This is a more compact form - it does not grow up to 2 meters, as a roll, but up to 80 cm. It blossoms white-pink, and in summer. Its red berries can hang on the branches all year.
- Low She really is a squat - the tree grows only up to 25 cm (despite the fact that some leaves reach up to 15 cm). The berries are pinkish at first, and then turn black.
- Japanese Another low (30-40 cm) view. Bush has rounded leaves, cream flowers, red at first and dark after ripening berries. The Chinese grow this plant as a curative - they believe that the flower produces a substance that can fight cancer. Also in the Middle Kingdom make decoctions of the roots and leaves of Ardizia (various species) in the treatment of colds and infections.
What kind of care does this original plant need?
- Lighting. It must be scattered. Because of this, many people keep airs not on the windowsill (if it is not western, but southern), but on the table. In winter, when the flower begins to "aktivnichat", he even will have a small window sill, and the plant will have to light artificially.
- Temperature. In the summer of Ardizii enough plus or minus 22 degrees, in the winter - 16-18. Although if the room becomes even colder (to +7, but not lower), the flower will survive. But if it is hotter, little will bloom on the tree and flowers, and the berries can sprinkle.
- Watering. During the period of bush activity, do not save water (but, of course, so that it does not stagnate in the pot). Carry a watering can as soon as the top of the ground is dry. If winter Ardizia is in the cold, it should be watered less often, preferably warm or at least room water. Always remove moisture that will drain into the pan.
- Spraying. They are desirable for the flower, but not during the flowering period. However, the flower needs moist air, so put a container next to the water, let it evaporate.
- Nutrition. They are pampered with complex mineral fertilizers from late February to September (inclusive). Give them twice a month.
- Selection of soil. It should be neutral, easy, nutritious. A good option - a mixture of peat, sand, hardwood. Charcoal supplementation can make the soil more nutritious and safer in terms of diseases. And do not forget about the drainage to the bottom of the pot.
- Crop. To make the bush look beautiful, every spring you should remove twigs that have come out of the crown.
- Pollination of a flower. If you have one, you should “work the bee” by transferring pollen from a flower to a flower with a cotton swab. Although if there are two airways in your room, you can do nothing - the plants will “make friends” themselves.
Use the transshipment method.
- Hand over the newly purchased tree 2 weeks after the purchase (letting it awake a little after moving from the store).
- The young tree (up to the age of three) is transplanted annually, the older - much less often, only when the roots become crowded. To the soil in the pot of "old woman" is not acidified, it is collected on top and replaced with a new one.
Conduct this procedure in the spring.
Growing from seed
- Seeds need to be extracted from the largest, juicy fruits. In most species, they are collected in January.
- If the seeds seem hard, they should be slightly cut on one side (the so-called scarification), then soaked in a water solution of a growth stimulator.
- The seed goes deeper into the wet substrate by 1 cm. The soil must be nutritious. I believe that Ardizia (like the seeds of most other crops) will be a mixture of peat and sand.
- It is desirable to cover the pot with glass (can) or a transparent film. Hold it at 20 degrees.
- Seeds germinate in a month or 40 days.
- Strengthened seedlings swoop down in a pot with regular soil (I wrote about it above).
- The first flowers on such a plant will appear after 2-3 years.
- In the spring or in the first month of summer (most often when trimming a bush), choose a strong apical stalk.
- For 2-3 days, soak it in a solution of growth stimulant.
- Land in nutrient soil. It is advisable to tie the pot into a transparent bag or cover it with a can - the temperature should be kept at least 25 degrees inside. The pot can be put on a warm (but not too hot) battery, it will speed up the process. But watch the soil moisture!
- When the cutting takes root, it will begin to grow new leaves. It can be transplanted into a pot with a diameter of 8-10 cm. You no longer need a greenhouse. Keep the “youthful” ward in a well-lit place.
- This plant will bloom in 1-2 years.
What difficulties you may face
- The attack of malicious insects. Aphids, shchitovki and other "fraternity" will gladly settle on the works, if it is not sprayed. They will have to be washed with a cotton swab moistened with soapy water, and then the plant (and all the neighboring ones, just in case) should be sprayed with an insecticide or an acaricide (if ticks have started).
- The leaves begin to turn slightly yellow. Most likely, the plant lacks iron. Add this substance to the main nutrition (in chelate form - it is chelates that are well absorbed by plants).
- Only the tips of the leaves turn yellow. The flower lacks power, light.
- White spots appear on the leaf plates. It burns from the sun - somewhere the rays fall directly on the leaves. Move the pot away from the window or shade the flower with a curtain.
- The tips of the leaves dry. One of two things: either the flower freezes in a draft, or the humidity of the air is too high for it.
Roots / stem rot from overflow
- Flowers and berries will have to cut, as part of the lower leaves.
- Remove the flower from the pot, cut the rotten roots “to the living”, rub the slices with crushed coal, and even better - soak all the roots in a pink solution of potassium permanganate for half an hour.
- Spill the old pot with boiling water or the same solution of potassium permanganate.
- Plant the flower in fresh soil.
- Water it only 2 days later. It is better to take not water, but a water solution of Fitosporin - it will help against rot.
- The following watering through the pan.
You can learn more about caring for “unkillable” airfares from the video:
Possible difficulties and methods of their elimination
From other domestic flowers Ardizia can be infected with aphids, shield, mealybug. When insects are detected, the flower is immediately treated with insecticides. It is advisable to repeat processing up to 3 times.
Constant soil moisture and very high humidity can cause fungal diseases, rot. Spraying fungicides will help to get rid of these diseases. One of the common problems ardizii - chlorosis. Fermentation with a high content of iron is carried out prophylactically. The remaining problems are caused by errors in the care.
It grows slowly, and only 2-3 years after receiving the sprout, it will be possible to admire a flowering tree. The growth rate is influenced by microclimatic conditions. Proper temperature and humidity conditions will ensure good growth, flowering of ardisia and the absence of pests on its leaves. The climate in its places of origin is tropical and subtropical, such conditions are necessary for it and at home.
Summer is a period of active growth of this indoor tree. It grows well and blooms better at + 20 ... + 25 ° C. Humidity of air masses should be 50-60%. If the air in the room is dry, it is necessary to spray plain water.
In the winter period, the growth of airfield slows down and the temperature in the room should be around 18 ° C. This will provide a set of kidneys for later growth. If the temperature is higher, the plant will start dropping the berries and quickly lose its ornamental properties. The air around it must often be humidified, since in the winter it is quickly dried by heating radiators.
Location and lighting for airsii should be selected taking into account the absence or small amount of direct sunlight. Comfortably, the plant will be in a lighted spot on the window, on the east or southeast side, where it will receive morning non-aggressive sunlight. The most favorable growing conditions are in bright, diffused light. If it is not enough in winter, then special lamps will provide sufficient lighting, otherwise the leaves will turn yellow on the tree.
In order to grow wardia, it is necessary to ensure the absence of ventilation. The leaves of Ardizia, standing in a draft, will begin to dry around the edges.
Planting and transplanting
The best time for planting and transplanting is spring. For a young plant, an annual transplant is required, since for the first few years, the hard-growing is growing intensively.
Transplanting an adult flower is required only if the roots appear at the surface of the earth. Transplantation of an adult tree that is more than three years old is carried out only 2-3 years after its last movement. An older tree is transplanted into a flower pot, which is slightly larger than the previous one. If you use too large a pot, the flowering will not be intense, because the roots of the tree will actively grow. This also applies to transplants after buying the plant.
When transplanting an earthen room, formed around the roots, gently roll in the pots, trying not to damage the root system. To make the ground loose, you can take some charcoal and put it in the ground.
For normal habitat growth, specially prepared soil is not required, it needs a standard mixture of peat, sand and leafy soil.
When planting or transplanting the bottom of the tank lay out drainage. This will ensure optimum soil moisture conditions.
The top layer of soil every year must be replaced.
Ardizia is beautiful due to the unique combination of two parts of the crown - the bottom consisting of red berries and the top leaf part. To achieve a beautiful form of the crown pruning of shoots will help. Thanks to it, not only “extra” shoots are removed, but also the division of shoots is stimulated. Pruning makes the crown lush and not too high. Pruning plants carried out in March and April.
Ardizia does not tolerate dry soil. Insufficient watering, as well as excessive, will cause shedding of leaves. In the hot period, the plant is watered abundantly and regularly to ensure its normal growth. The ground dried up from above means the need for watering. For humidification use separated water at room temperature.
It is easy to determine and excess moisture. If water accumulates in the pan, then it needs to be poured.