Rochefort grapes were bred by amateur breeder E. G. Pavlovsky. He crossed the Talisman grape variety and the variety pollinated with a mixture of pollen from European - Amur grape forms - Cardinal. Rochefort refers to the table grape variety. Differs in early ripening and unpretentiousness in cultivation. It belongs to the reference varieties, since all the characteristics of the variety are high and the appearance of its clusters reaches 100%.
The bush is a strong-growing grape, the shoots mature well and reach a length of up to 135 centimeters. Cluster large in the form of a cone. Relatively dense in weight reaches 500-1000 grams. The berries are oval dark blue. When they overripe become black. In weight, the berry reaches 8 - 13 grams. It has an aromatic muscat flavor and aroma. The flesh is quite fleshy and juicy. The skin of the berries is dense, but not eaten when eaten. Berries accumulate sugar quickly, it is 14 - 18%. Acidity sufficient 4 - 7%.
Grape bunches for a long time can remain on the bush, without losing their presentation and taste. Rochefort variety belongs to the early varieties, the time of ripening berries is 110 - 120 days from the time of flowering.
With an average of one bush, you can get 44 - 6 kilograms of beautiful berries, and with good care up to 10 kilograms. Description of the variety can be represented as sufficiently frost-resistant. The grape can withstand temperatures down to -23 degrees, but does not tolerate cold winds. Therefore, it should be covered for the winter. The variety is resistant to diseases such as mildew, oidium, but not resistant to phylloxera, if it hits the leaves and roots of the vine, it will be very difficult to get rid of it.
Positive and negative aspects of the Rochefort variety
Rochefort grapes are quite unpretentious in cultivation, so even an inexperienced grower can grow a rich crop of berries and gather it. Below is a description of the pros and cons of this grape variety:
- It is fairly easy to plant in the garden, as the Rochefort grape variety has good rooting and survival rates for cuttings.
- The flowers of the vine have flowers of male and female, so it is self-pollinated. This contributes to good yields.
- Early grape variety. From the moment of flowering to fruit ripening 110 - 120 days pass.
- The clusters are quite dense with strong berries, which contributes to good transportation and preservation of the presentation. It is very much appreciated by sellers.
- Description of the taste of grapes can be defined as the reference. For this, winemakers appreciate it.
- Rochefort is frost resistant. Withstands temperatures up to -23 degrees, but in spite of this, he needs to be covered for the winter. Since it does not tolerate cold wind.
- Resistant to diseases such as mildew and oidium.
Rochefort grapes berries rather meaty and juicy
Description of the negative qualities of the variety Rochefort:
- The berries are sufficiently sooner than they ripen and pick up sugar, turn dark blue. Therefore, even let the dark grapes hang on the branches so that it can ripen.
- This grape variety has a tendency to pea berries. But this does not happen every year.
- This variety is not resistant to folloxer. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures, otherwise it will not be very easy to deal with it.
Features of planting and care of the variety Rochefort
Given the peculiarity of the variety Rochefort in that it is prone to phylloxera. It is better not to plant it on its own roots, but to plant it on another grape variety. Or purchase a sapling of another variety and plant Rochefort on it. The following is a description of the basic rules for planting Rochefort grapes:
- Grapes are very fond of heat, so they should be planted on the sunny side of the house or arbor. It is desirable from the south or south - west side to protect from the cool wind, which affects it is very destructive.
- Since the bush in this grape variety is strong-growing, it should be planted at a distance of two or even four meters from each other. This is done so that they do not give shade to each other.
- The grapes have powerful roots and when planting it, one must take care of the flow of groundwater. Comfortable for the bush will be the indicator - 2.5 meters in depth.
- The soil for its cultivation should be fertile and light. Good enough to absorb moisture, but not delaying it for a long time. Otherwise, the roots of the plant may rot.
- To plant seedlings in the spring should be until mid-April. You can also graft cuttings that have been preserved since last year. In the autumn period, planting begins in mid-October, necessarily covering the stalk for the winter.
The soil for its cultivation. Rochefort must be fertile and light.
Description of planting grapes on their own roots:
- Before planting a bush, check the soil for phylloxera.
- We dig a hole with a depth and a width of 80 centimeters. At the bottom we fall asleep a good earth and three buckets of humus. From above we fall asleep with one more layer of soil. We leave the pit in this form for a couple of weeks.
- A healthy seedling has white roots and a green cut.
- We plant a bush as follows - lower it into the prepared pit to the point where the roots start from and fill it with half the earth, pour in 10 liters of water. Then fall asleep the remaining soil. The ground around the bush must be gouged with moss or sawdust.
Description of grafting cuttings of grapes:
- Grafting cuttings of Rochefort grapes is not difficult. It is necessary to prepare a stalk in autumn with 2 - 3 peepholes. Trim it on both sides and put in water.
- To prepare the stock you need to remove the old bush, leaving a penalty 10 centimeters in height.
- Peel it off, cut it in the middle and insert the cutting into the hole. Thoroughly tighten with rags and coat with moist clay.
- In the future, to carry out the procedure, as with an ordinary sapling. Water well and grind the soil.
Rochefort grapes are better to graft on another grape variety
Rochefort variety is not whimsical in care and cultivation, but if you want to get a rich harvest you need to adhere to the features in care.
- Variety Rochefort loves moisture. Therefore, requires abundant watering during the growing season and at the time of tying the berries. Also, it should be abundantly watered during dry periods of summer.
- Be sure to mulch the soil. To do this, around the bush after each watering put a three-centimeter layer of sawdust or moss.
- To grapes pleased you with a rich harvest do not skimp on top dressing. He loves potash - phosphate and nitrogen fertilizers, organic and mineral fertilizers.
- Annually spend pruning grapes on 6 - 8 eyes. This stimulates its growth and the number of bunches of grapes.
- This frost-resistant variety needs hiding for the winter. Especially when the bush is still young.
- Regular preventive spraying three times per season, will protect the bush from fungal diseases.
Many growers have already tried this hybrid - grapes, and give positive feedback about it. It is sufficiently resistant to disease and has a good presentation of bunches that are valued by sellers and buyers. Its berries are juicy, fleshy and have a wonderful muscatel flavor. It is very appreciated in the restaurant business and especially wine lovers.
Preparation of cuttings
- Prepare healthy cuttings from mid-October. The lower part is cut and immersed in water. To preserve moisture, cut ends are treated with paraffin.
- Cut off the old bush to the formation of hemp, about 10 cm high. Clean everything thoroughly.
- Split the stump in the middle part and place the cut stalk in the resulting cleft.
- Bind the junction with a cloth and treat with clay to preserve moisture.
Although the Rochefort variety is very unpretentious in its care, it is still necessary to take into account the following guidelines for the care of the plant in order to increase the yield and improve the quality of the grapes produced. You can see this from the video.
- Due to the good yield, a large number of fertile buds are formed on the shoots. To avoid overloading the bushes and the formation of clusters with small berries, it is necessary to monitor the number of emerging eyes and trim them in time.
- To accelerate growth, pruning is recommended to carry on 6 - 8 eyes.
- Despite resistance to a large number of fungal diseases, the Rochefort variety is sensitive to some of them. To protect the plant from pests, it is recommended to carry out 2 - 3 sprays per season.
- The plant is moisture-loving, because of what periodically it needs to be watered abundantly.
- To protect against weeds and improve soil quality, mulch it after watering.
- For ripening the plant consumes a large amount of nutrients. Feed him periodically to get a good harvest.
The grapes "Rochefort", a description of the variety, the photo of which is posted on our website, is the benchmark of taste and presentation. No wonder, he is so popular among winegrowers. Ease of planting and care, make it possible to grow grapes for personal use and on an industrial scale. Its beautiful color and pleasant nutmeg taste will be a great addition to your table.