Zidalcea (Sidalcea) is a genus from the Malvaceae family (Malvaceae). Perennial herbaceous plants with upright stems and rounded leaves. They have powerful, but shallow roots. Inflorescences spiciform and large flowers. Their color is various: white, pink, red, crimson. There is a rosette with oval leaves. In the genus about 30 species.
For plants suitable garden soil is light and permeable. Before planting it is cleared of weeds and loosened. Needed sedentzee and good drainage. For his device, you can take expanded clay, pebbles or broken brick.
Before planting, you can make manure or humus in the soil. They put the side in spring, when the weather is steadily warm. After planting, the plant is well watered.
Caring for Sedalecea
A sunny spot or light shade will be optimal. In the shadow of the side, the dead can develop badly and not so richly bloom. Mulching with cut grass or humus will help preserve moisture in the soil. The plant needs weeding and loosening the soil.
To a drought, the sideltsey does not tolerate very well. Therefore, she needs regular watering about 3 times a week. Young specimens should be moistened with warm water.
The plant is resistant to frost down to -28 ° C. But it is useful to shelter branches or dry leaves. The roots are better to mulch humus or compost.
Commonly used complex mineral compounds. Fertilize sidelift 2 times per season. At the beginning of flowering and immediately after it. Feed is better to make the root after watering.
Blooms profusely from July to September. Pruning at the root of the shoots on which the flowers have faded stimulates the development of flower stalks and good flowering for the next year.
The stalks near the sidelata are pruned for the winter.
Transplantation carried out every 2 years, combining it with the division of the rosettes.
Seeds are sown on a permanent place in the open ground when the weather is warm. Then they will germinate faster, and sidelina will develop well. Before sowing the soil should be moistened and loosened.
Young sprouts can be expected in about 15 days. Too dense areas of seedlings thinned. Water the plant with warm water and gently loosen it. Sidalceya bloom in 1 year. In order for the flower buds to form on it, the root must overwinter in the ground.
From the adult plant young shoots are separated. The roots are superficial and thin, they are easily damaged, so everything must be done carefully. The procedure is best done before the flower buds are formed on the side of the neck. Sockets should be immediately placed in the ground so that they do not dry out in the air. Sidealcea usually blooms in the same year.
Zidalcea belongs to the Malvaceae family.
Differs in the presence of spike inflorescences, large flowers. There are plants of different colors: red, pink, white, crimson. Sometimes there are sockets with oval leaves. The genus includes about 30 species.
We offer you a description of the most popular varieties of perennial sylda.
- "Little Princess". For planting this variety, it is necessary to choose a rich, wet, loose soil. The height of the flower averages about 40 cm. Flowering lasts throughout the summer. It has a straight branched stem and separate leaves, which form a rosette. It has a powerful basal system. The flowers have a delicate pink shade, their size is 2-8 cm. This variety should be planted in sunny areas. Cold tolerates well, but it is recommended to carry out mulching.
- "Diamond". Planted this variety should be in a wet and loose soil. The height of the plant can reach 70 cm. The diamond blooms all summer months. It has a straight branched stem and separate leaves. The color of the flowers is carmine red. Prefers sunny areas, tolerates frost well.
- "Party Girl". The height of plants of this variety is from 75 to 100 cm. The flowers are painted in carmine-pink color, have a diameter of 5 cm. Flowering begins in July and ends in mid-September. The variety is able to withstand temperatures down to -35 ° C.
- "Croffway Red". The variety differs from its counterparts in a rather large height - up to 95 cm and in a dark red color of flowers. The flowering period occurs in the summer months. Like many representatives of cidaltia, the variety is frost resistant.
- "William Smith". Plants of this variety have a height of about 90 cm. Their inflorescences are painted in a bright pink color with a salmon shade. The diameter of the flowers is about 3 cm. For planting it is better to choose a sunny place, it is recommended to carry out mulching before winter, despite the fact that the variety has good winter hardiness.
- "Sidalcea candida". Representatives of this variety grow to a height of 80 cm. They differ from their fellows by the presence of pure white small flowers with a diameter of about 2 cm. Inside the flower there is a cream heart that gives the plant a delicate appearance. He tolerates frost well, loves sunlight.
In order for the side to grow healthy and have a beautiful appearance, it is necessary to know some features of its content.
It is better to plant the sedentzey in the light garden soil, while it is worthwhile to remove the roots of weeds, garbage, loosen the soil well.
For watering young plants suitable only warm water. In addition to fertilizers, it is recommended to weed the land regularly, as a result of which the soil will be saturated with oxygen and prevent the processes of decay.
The shrub has resistance to many pests and diseases, so the treatment can not be carried out.
Next to the side can be planted bells, cuff, jerk, it will get along perfectly with other plants that love sunlight.
Application in landscape design
Zedatseya is actively used to create landscape compositions, it will be a wonderful decoration of any celebration. Most often in the design of the landscape are used varieties such as "Rosie Jam" and "Brilliant".
Due to the fact that the shrub gets on well with other flowers, you can build a rather unusual, bright, sunny composition that will decorate your garden.
It is necessary to sow the seeds of a plant in spring, when the indicator of average air temperature is more than +10 ° С. The soil should be moist, well-loosened. The depth of the fossa should be 2-3.5 cm.
After sowing is completed, the bed is compacted and watered with warm water. The first shoots may appear within 2-3 weeks. If seedlings are too often arranged, it is recommended to thin them so that the distance between the flowers is at least 15 cm.
It is very important to ensure that the soil does not dry out. For this it is necessary to carry out mulching with the help of humus, also mowed grass will do.
The root of the plant has good resistance to low temperatures, so it is not worth piling up shelters for the winter. Only in the northern regions in the presence of severe winters is it recommended to cover the root system with fallen leaves and sprigs. The plant is able to withstand temperatures down to -30 ° C.
It is recommended to feed a flower 2 times a season: before flowering and after its completion. In the winter it is worth cutting the stalks, and replanting the plant 2 times a year completely.
Zonalcea has low habitat requirements. It adapts to most garden soils with good water resistance. The substrate enriched with humus or manure provides lush flowering and perennial growth.
Choose a sunny spot for planting a cedalcea, since in full sun the inflorescences have a brighter and more saturated color. Substrate should be moderately wet, but not wet. Requires regular watering in the dry season. In order to avoid drying of the soil, the stands are mulched with grass or humus.
The sidelining care also consists in pruning the stems almost under the base of the bush after flowering. The procedure stimulates re-flowering and development of flower stalks for the next year.
When planting in poor soil, for the entire season, starting in spring, mineral complex fertilizer for flowering plants is applied 3-4 times. Fertilize under the root and only after watering. In areas with cold winters and in the absence of snow, plantings are mulched with dry leaves, spruce leaves or peat. In the middle lane perennial winters without problems.
When creating varieties, plant breeders were able to preserve and strengthen such perennial qualities as resistance to diseases and their pathogens and ensure high compatibility with other garden plants.
Brief Description and Varieties of Sidealsa
Zonalcea is a perennial plant of the family Malvaceae, floodplain meadows of North America are considered to be homeland. It is believed that from there the sidelong spread throughout the world.
Stems edentalis erect, about a meter in height. Sheet separate, is arranged alternately. At the very ground of the basal round leaves collected rosette. Because of the large flowers of “gramophones,” the green at the top of the stem is almost invisible. Coloring of petals from white to deep –violet. Each flower has five petals, in the center of the cup is a column. Sidalcea blooms in mid-summer and lasts until September.
In the wild, there are: sideworm malvotvetkovaya (malvaeflora) and snow-white sidelet (candida). The main area of their settlement is south-west North. Americas, damp lowlands and open banks of rivers.
Malvotsvetkovaya sidealtsya gave rise to garden varieties:
- Charming (Loveliness). Soft pink flowers. Stem height 0.8 m.
- Croffway red. Particularly frost-resistant variety with dark red flowers.
- William Smith. Bright pink flowers with a touch of salmon. Zadaltseya prefers sunny places and good soil mulching.
- Pink queen Large bright pink flowers.
Other side grades include Party Girle, Purpetta, Elsie Heugh, Little Princess, PucK, Sussex Beauty.
Attention! It is interesting that sidelitea in America is considered a wedding flower. White bouquet - a symbol of marital happiness and love.
Reproduction and landing side
In the shade, do not plant sideals, flowering will be weak and not abundant. The plot is sunny, but the soil moisture is high. Landing can be made both in spring and autumn.
Ways of reproduction of a zadaltsa:
- Seeds. Sidalecea germinates from 12 days to 8 weeks. The plants grown from the seeds will bloom next year. Sowing is carried out in greenhouses or immediately in open ground, when the soil warms up to +10 ° C. In the fall, in dry weather, seeds are collected from fully matured seed boxes. Material is stored in linen or paper bags. Dig up the soil, loosen. Make a furrow with a depth of not more than 3 cm, where the seeds are placed sideltsei. Powdered with loose nutrient soil. After the emergence of seedlings, the young siderill is thinned for the first time, leaving a distance of 10–15 cm. With the appearance of two pairs of true leaves, a second thinning is carried out (40–45 cm).
- Radical shoots. Used more often. Zonalcea divides in early spring, before buds are formed on the plants. The young processes must have their own roots, planted in the ground immediately after division. Flowers will appear in the same season. If transportation is required, the root system is temporarily wrapped in a plastic bag.
Sidalecea is a moisture-loving plant. In the dry hot summer requires regular watering. With a long absence of natural precipitation, a bed of flowers watered three times a week. It is not advisable to irrigate young plants with cold water, but only with warm and settled water.
Council Surplus seedlings can be used to control weeds. Plant a flower where the plantain grows, to dream, bluegrass, bindweed.
In spite of the fact that the dead man "suppresses" the weeds, weeds are planted regularly. This will enrich the soil with oxygen, reduce the risk of mold and prevent rot. At one place, the side of the bed grows and flourishes for several years.
Also, care for sidelong includes:
- Pruning fading shoots. Crumbled seeds will give a lot of off-grade shoots, which will negatively affect the decorative area. The stems are cut near the root itself, which ensures the emergence of new shoots.
- Preparing for the winter. Zonalcea tolerates frosts below -25 ° C. Spruce fir twigs and mulch shelter is recommended in regions with very low winter temperatures. Pest and disease sidedatea is not affected.
Use in landscape design
Zedaltseya excellent curb plant background. On the very edge of the garden path, you can plant short stunted ones: phloxes, primula, badan, marigolds, bulbous perennials. The middle layer is filled with dekorativnolistvennye: Coleus, geykhera, hypoestes, Perilla, Host, Caladium.
Border compositions often go into mixborders. If the flower garden is planned in the area of the reservoir, then the coastal zone is decorated with cedalcea. The moisture-loving plant will feel “at home” there.
Ideas for using the cider on the plot:
- along fences, hedges,
- for zoning space,
- in open palisades and one-sided flower beds,
- tall varieties - on the alpine hills and in the center of prefabricated flower beds,
- for registration of an entrance or an entrance to the house, a verandah.
Looks interesting in the rockeries on a gray background of stones. Addition can serve: lupine, aquilegia, delphinium. Low hvoyniki will add greenery to the composition: juniper, western thuja, dwarf pine and cypress. Zedaltseya is suitable for single landing (solitaire).
Zedaltseya well stands in the cut, in bouquets combined with other garden flowers: zinnia, dahlias, gladioli, asters. Cut plants are kept in a cool room, often changing the water.
Caring for sidelining does not take a lot of time and effort from gardeners. An unpretentious plant will decorate with its "bells" a country cottage or a plot in front of a private house.
Sidalcea belongs to the Malvine family. This plant is a perennial type, it has shallow, but powerful roots. The height of the side of the stream can be from 60 to 150 centimeters for plants of different varieties.
Sedental flowers have delicate, silky petals. In appearance, they resemble miniature mallow, collected in small inflorescences, spikelets. Hue varies from white to red and lilac. Flowering occurs in the second half of the summer and until the first frost. This hardy and unpretentious plant is often chosen not only for appearance, but also for ease of care.
Types and varieties
Most of the known varieties of Sidaltsei were bred by breeding from one plant - Sivalcey malvotvetkovoy. The most popular varieties of this flower are:
- Brilliant or Diamond - has a bright, pink color and beautiful inflorescences with large buds.
- Party girl "Party girl"- a plant with upright stems over a meter, especially convenient for cutting, flowers from pink to bright red with a white heart.
- Candy girl "Candy girl"- the flowers have a pink or crimson hue, to the center of the flower the petals lighten.
- Rosy Gem "Rosie Jam"- hot pink color, bud brightens to the middle.
- Elsie Heugh "Elsie Hugh", or "Elsa Huge"- flowers are delicate pink, petals have a fringed or carved edge.
- Malvotsvetkovaya - has large buds of pink or red color, delicate petals
- Snow white - low flower, small flowers, white, rolling to the center in cream.
S. malviflora (S. malvotsvetkovaya)
The diameter of the pink flowers is 5 cm, the width of the leaves is 6 cm. The height and diameter of the plant is 100x50 cm.Pink flowers
- Garden species
The most commonly grown garden varieties are Sidalec flowers with a diameter of 5 cm and leaves about 6 m wide. The height of most of these plants is 1 m, and a diameter of 50 cm.
In a variety of flowers more saturated, pink."Party Girl"
The variety reaches a height of 60 cm and has dark pink flowers.Dark pink flowers
Description of the side
Sidalcea flower photo variety Sidalcea candida ‘alba’
Zidalcea belongs to the Malvaceae family. About 30 species have been created by nature, but only a few are culturally grown. North America is considered the birthplace of the flower. This is a herbaceous perennial with a straight strong stem, reaching 1 meter in height. The root system is shallow, but branched and powerful. At the base of the stem a rosette of several leaves is formed. Above the leaves are alternately along the entire length of the stem, they are carved and have thinner lobes. The green has a bright, emerald green color.
Large flowers, gramophones with a diameter of about 5-8 cm cover the inflorescence in the form of an ear. Bud consists of five delicate petals, resembles mallow (stem-rose). A column with many stamens and one pistil is located in the center of the flower. The colors are bright and varied: light pink, red, scarlet, crimson, white. It blooms from early July to September.
Sowing in the ground
Seeds are harvested in the fall when the boxes are dry and fully ripe. Separate them carefully and store them in spacious bags for storage until spring. You need to sow immediately to a permanent place of growth. Дождитесь устойчивого тепла, когда на термометре будет 10°C и более, тогда всходы быстро появятся и растение будет активно развиваться.
- Хорошо взрыхлите почву, сформируйте канавки 2-3,5 см глубиной, посев слегка покройте землей.
- Молодые побеги появятся через 15-20 дней.
- Сразу проверьте густоту всходов, при необходимости проредите, оставляя расстояние между растениями около 10-15 см.
- When there are four true leaves, repeat the thinning, leaving the strongest flowers, and increase the distance between them to 40-50 cm.
Torn out plants are also quite viable, you should not destroy them, you can use this seedlings in other parts of the garden. To form color buds, the plant must overwinter, wait for flowering next year.
Seedling sidewalk photo
Zestalsa is grown in a seedling way: sow the seeds at the end of February one or two in separate containers to a depth of 1 cm. Ensure regular watering and good lighting. It can be sown in a common container, but after a pick is taken in the stage of 3-4 true leaves.
Planted seedlings in May, pre-hardened within two weeks.
The reproduction of the side by division of the bush
An expanded perennial plant can be propagated by dividing the bush. To do this, carefully separate the young shoots from the main plant, it is important not to damage the roots, because they are superficial and thin. You can replant in the spring, until it formed flower buds.
After dividing, immediately place the roots in the soil, because dried roots will not take root. If you plan to transport or longer storage, you can put in a package, other airless packaging.
Choose a sunny place for landing, only a slight shadow is permissible. Although it will grow in the shade, do not expect abundant foliage and flowering. Maximum reveal its potential only under the open sun.
The plant tolerates drought poorly: water regularly, apply complex fertilizers. In order to fully develop the side of the river, it is necessary to water three times a week (subject to the absence of natural precipitation). Young plants are watered only with warm water. Mulching with humus or mowed grass will help retain moisture. Regularly weed the plant, it will help saturate the soil with air, prevent rot and have a positive effect on growth and flowering.
Due to the shedding of ripened seeds, wild thick growth can occur. The number of self-seeding will help to reduce pruning of faded stems. It should cut the entire stem to the ground, this will contribute to the growth of young shoots.
Preparing the side for the winter
The root system of the flower is frost hardy enough, does not require careful shelter. Only in regions with cold winters (when the frost is -20 ° C or more) it is worth covering the roots with fallen leaves or branches, protecting them from snow-free frost:
- It is good for a plant, if after pruning the above-ground part around it, you should muffle the ground with a thick layer of leaves (up to 20 cm) and cover it with spruce branches on top.
- In the spring, after the snow has melted, the mulch is removed to free the plant for growth.
Worried about protection from parasites and diseases, gardeners are not worth it, the plant has a good resistance to them.
Zodalceya malvotsvetkovy Sidalcea malviflora
Zonalceya party girl party girl photo
Malvotsvetkovaya sideball - the most popular, very beautiful gardeners. Her flowers are large, pink or red. And if you remember from childhood, its petals can be divided in half and glued to the face, depicting Papuans. Children love this game very much.
Any sort of sedentaley is easy to maintain and blooms profusely.
The most popular varieties of cidaltia are:
Zedaleseya Elsa Huge Sidalcea Elsie Heugh
- Paty Girl is a shrub about 1.2 m tall with a flower stem half the length of the stem. Flowers saturated red-pink color with a white center.
- Candy Girl - a crimson or pink flower, illuminated in the middle.
- Elsie Hugh - delicate light pink petals, the edges of the petals are carved, fringed.
- Brilliant - large pink buds gather in spike inflorescences.
- Snow-white - the bush reaches a height of 80 cm, the flowers are small, snow-white, the heart is cream.
A variety of colors and sizes provides a wide selection to decorate your garden.
Zidalcea Oregana Sidalcea oregana
Sidalcea Oregana Sidalcea Oregana Brillant photo
Prefers wet places, marshlands, meadows, floodplains. Distributed in the western part of North America. Covered with stiff hairs on the stems and leaves. The inflorescence is dense and somewhat shorter compared to other species.