Independent breeding of broilers should begin with the creation of conditions in which the birds will be comfortable. Therefore, it is not uncommon for beginning breeders to ask themselves how to build a house in which all the necessary amenities will be created for broilers.
Construction of a house for broilers
Poultry houses for keeping chickens or adults are built according to the following algorithm:
- Filling the foundation.
- The construction of the walls of the coop.
- Pouring concrete or clay concrete screed.
- Installation of the roof.
- Interior walls using lime mortar. This will further protect the birds from germs.
- Fastening perches and cages for broilers. They are relevant for large livestock. At least one adult perch is required per adult.
Erection of a house for broilers with their own hands for many will be a more optimal solution compared with the purchase of the finished version. Due to the independent construction, you can save on material costs, control the compliance of the house to the required conditions and accurately calculate the size of the building in accordance with the planned population.
The following recommendations will be helpful to a novice farmer who has decided to start building a chicken coop for the first time.
- The roof of the chicken coop is insulated and protected from moisture penetration using a waterproofing film.
- Each poultry house needs ventilation, so window slides are sure to be added to the chicken coop drawings for breeding broilers. The minimum allowable size of the window is 1/12 part of the base area of the building.
- The floor is poured on a concrete-based screed in its pure form or with the addition of clay. Before pouring around the perimeter of the future structure, it is necessary to pour chips, glass fragments or sawdust to protect the livestock of the chicken coop from the penetration of rodents and small predators digging tunnels underground.
- Sometimes breeders want to build chicken coops for broilers in the northern regions with a cold climate. For such a structure requires capital walls with a thickness of at least 20 cm.
- For lighting inside the house, professionals recommend using incandescent bulbs. They are more efficient than energy-saving lamps because they provide additional heat to the air. Chickens also grow better if they are grown in yellow light, similar to sunlight.
- As a useful add-on for summer time, it is more correct to install mosquito nets on windows and air vents. Small insects can get into the nostrils of chickens, because of which the latter often suffocate.
- As an additional source of ventilation, there are holes in the walls at a distance of 15-20 cm from the floor. This reduces the number of unpleasant odors. During the winter season they are closed to maintain the required temperature inside the house.
A chicken coop intended for breeding broilers has a number of differences from other types of poultry houses. If you take them into account, even a novice farmer will be able to build the right type of dwelling for birds and equip it in accordance with veterinary requirements.
Characteristics of chicken coops for growing broilers:
- They require less space, due to which you can breed this type of hen even on a small dacha.
- In its chicken coop, made from scratch or representing a converted barn, sufficient lighting is required. If you use incandescent bulbs, then in addition to lighting you can get a partial heating of the air.
- The chicken coop for broilers should be adequately ventilated, but retain heat. For this wizard recommend using special heaters.
- According to the key requirements for the breeding of birds, the feeder and watering can not be placed side by side, it is better to arrange them in different corners.
The main difference between broilers and ordinary laying hens is their short lifespan. They are slaughtered after 2-3 months of breeding. Therefore, there is no need to create nesting sites and allocate a large space for walking. Instead, it is better to mount the appropriate cells.
Calculate the value of the chicken coop
The size of the house is determined by the number of heads that the farmer plans to maintain. If chickens cannot walk freely around the yard, and the breeder wants to protect broilers from predators, in addition to the main hen house, he builds a broiler pen with his own hands.
It requires proper calculations to the birds had enough space.
Standard guideline for calculating the required chicken house area:
- Up to 10 adults and up to 50 chicks live comfortably on a 1m * 1m square. In order to save space when breeding a large number of heads, multi-level chicken coops are made.
- The optimal height between the levels is 1.5 meters.
Tools for the construction of the hen house with their own hands
Quality is the main criterion when choosing materials for construction. His ignoring will negatively affect the house and lead to losses.
Recommended materials for the construction of the house:
- Depending on the climate, the walls can be made of bricks, wood, plywood sheets, gas blocks, etc.
- The foundation is made of slag, wooden formwork and a mixture of sand and cement.
- Most of the drawings for the chicken coop suggest the presence of dividing walls and rafters, for which the best use of wood.
- Convenient pallets are made from metal sheets or plates.
- As the material for the roof fit tile, slate, plywood or roofing felt.
- Additional fittings: fasteners for various parts and brackets for fastening watering devices and feeders.
This is an indicative list of materials. Their final set is determined depending on the complexity of the future structure.
If you speak for the fence, they should serve as protection for chickens from drafts and wind. Be sure to think about this important factor. Otherwise, the presence of the bird in the hen house or near it will be constantly associated with the risks of the appearance of various diseases. Some poultry farmers plant a hedge, for example, from grapes.
The design of the chicken coop
We also say a few words about the very construction of the future dacha henhouse. Mostly it is a square or rectangular shape of the structure. Although in principle, there are no strict rules. The main thing is to provide the internal space of the chicken coop so that the broilers feel normal, and you can rationally arrange all the existing cells.
Necessary materials and tools
Before you make a chicken coop for broilers, you need to prepare all the necessary building materials and tools.
The following factor directly depends on the choice of building material - will broilers live in it in the winter or only in the summer? If this is a summer chicken coop for broilers, then a set of material will be simple.
If the breeding of birds will continue in winter, it is extremely important to pay attention to literally every little thing.
Choosing building materials, give preference to quality raw materials. This will significantly increase its service life, and also allow you to create normal conditions for the life of broilers. So, for different sites, you will need the following set of building materials:
- For walls, you can use different sheet material, for example, plywood, RSD. There may also be capital structures of gas blocks, bricks and more.
- For the manufacture of the foundation, you must purchase cement, crushed stone, slag and wooden formwork. You can make a strip foundation or columnar. Accordingly, the material set may differ.
- The roof can be covered with various roofing materials, for example, ondulin, slate, tiles and so on. Be sure to need a tree to create a truss system.
- Metal plates for the manufacture of pallets.
- Fasteners and more.
As for the tool, its set will depend on the chosen construction technology. If the broiler chicken coop is wooden, then a set of carpentry tools is assembled.
So, now let's take a closer look at the technology of how to make a chicken coop with our own hands and without the involvement of specialists. Of course, in this process you can help videos and photos in this article.
First of all, the foundation is prepared. The method of making the foundation can be very different. For example, let it be tape. After that, walls and rafter system are built. Then covered the entire roof completely. Be sure to fill the screed to ensure good conditions inside the chicken coop.
Do not forget about the manufacture of high-quality ventilation system. For this window you can provide windows. This is the simplest solution. You can make a forced ventilation system.
After that, special cages are made, allowing the broilers to be kept more organized. So, one matured broiler requires about 300 mm wide for itself.
Such a perch should be based on one broiler.
So, as you can see, making a chicken coop with your own hands for broilers is not particularly difficult. With all the work is quite possible to cope on their own. To do this, we recommend that you watch the prepared video. Also, photos, diagrams and drawings in this article will help you to design such a chicken coop for broilers, which will allow you to organize the work of the house.
Remember that it is extremely important to pay attention to every little thing that was discussed in this article. We hope that this material has been useful to you. If you have experience in this matter, then share it by leaving comments at the end of this article. This will help novice gardeners to make such a chicken coop for broilers, which will meet all the requirements for quality.
Construction and wall insulation
- On the base frame, install supports for the walls and install a subfloor.
- Between the support bar walls install the chicken coop door and the frame for the window. If there is a small door for chickens in the aviary, then it is also installed at this stage.
- At the same stage make the installation of the supply and exhaust ventilation system. It can consist of 2 pipes, or mechanical ventilation is provided.
- The walls are formed from OSB-plates or other plate material. Typically, the construction used plates made of compacted chips. Modern plates are not afraid of moisture, durable, retain heat well and are resistant to pests.
- The plates are fastened with screws to wooden supports.
- The resulting gaps are filled with foam.
- The outer surface of the walls covered with bitumen mastic. Its purpose is the additional waterproofing of the wall surface.
- Inside the chicken coop form the floor. The first layer of the floor - wooden boards, which are installed on the logs. The second layer - insulation. The third layer is a floor covering.
The roof is made of hard wood. There are 2 options: with the presence of a small attic and without it. Attic improves air exchange and contributes to the extension of the life of wooden elements. For a roof with an attic, roofing is done from boards or slabs. Then install ceiling beams and perform the coating.
For roof without attic:
- the main frame is fixed to the pillars,
- covered with board and insulation, as well as walls.
It is possible to cover the finished roof with slate or metal tile. When installing the roof also need to install ventilation pipes. The height of the pipes is 2 m, the diameter is not less than 20 cm.
Arrangement of the hen house
Internally, the arrangement begins with the installation of a lighting system and heating for the nursery of small chickens (brooder). For winter broiler breeding install heating system.
The walls are treated with lime and the wooden surfaces are painted over. The window is tightened with a grid. Ventilation ducts or vents must be equipped with a mosquito net, since insects are the most active carriers of pathogens.
If the birds are kept in cages, the shelves are first formed and installed, and then the cages. They are equipped with internal or external feeders. Mounted automated water supply system. If the birds are kept without cages, then establish roosts, drinkers, feeders, as well as equip a bath for ash baths.
Video: practical tips on making a chicken coop
When the poultry content is necessary to form racks for the cell sections. Cells can be ready, purchased or made from the grid. Cells are placed on metal or wooden shelves in several tiers.
The minimum cage height is 50 cm. Increasing the height will provide the birds with a large amount of fresh air, which is important for the prevention of diseases.
Feeders and drinkers
The placement of feeders on the outside of the cells on special mounts will be optimal. Feeders are made from polypropylene pipes or other material. The mesh size of the grid near the feeder should be 14 × 14 cm - this will provide broilers with more comfortable access to food.
The litter is a natural insulator that provides comfort to the chicken.
May consist of:
Requirements for litter - good moisture absorption, low risk of injury. The laying provides natural employment of a bird and realization of natural reflexes - loosening and digging of the soil. Litter thickness - not less than 20 cm.
What else to take care
To obtain the most productive indicators, it is necessary to observe the temperature, humidity and air exchange modes in the room. For this purpose, artificial lighting, a ventilation system and a heating system are installed in the hen house.
Lamps should illuminate the house evenly. According to sanitary standards, per 1 sq. M. m square should account for 4 watts of light. You can install conventional lamps, LED or energy-saving. Whatever lamp you install, the important indicator will be the duration of the lighting, not the type of lamps.
Ventilation system capacity - 6 cu. m per 1 kg of live weight. Ventilation can be made in the form of supply and exhaust pipes, or with the help of a fan.
Video: ventilation in the hen house Build a chicken coop for themselves with broilers is quite capable of everyone. The selection of materials for construction depends on your preferences, while high-quality building material is found in a fairly wide price range.